PDA

View Full Version : Hey, remember when Dems supported Religious Freedom Restoration Act? Neither do they!

Mr. Mensch
06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Today’s Supreme Court ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby’s religious freedom to resist the Obamacare contraceptive coverage mandate upheld the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
RFRA (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/103-1993/s331) passed in 1993 with overwhelming bipartisan support. It was sponsored by Democrat N.Y. Sen. Charles Schumer and earned the votes of leading lib dinosaurs including Harry Reid, Dianne Feinstein, Patty Murray, and Barbara Boxer.

http://news.yahoo.com/rfra-why-care-133005767--politics.html;_ylt=A0LEV1eSlrFTlxAAFhxXNyoA;_ylu=X 3oDMTB0Z3BhbHZyBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ xNF8x

Here is the back story: In Employment Division v. Smith (1990), two American Indians who worked as private drug rehab counselors ingested peyote as part of religious ceremonies conducted by the Native American Church, and they were subsequently fired. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the firing, with Justice Antonin Scalia saying that using a religious exemption in conflict of a valid law “would open the prospect of constitutionally required exemptions from civic obligations of almost every conceivable kind.”
A near unanimous Congress passed RFRA in 1993 and President Bill Clinton signed the law. RFRA said that “governments should not substantially burden religious exercise without compelling justification” and “the compelling interest test as set forth in prior Federal court rulings is a workable test for striking sensible balances between religious liberty and competing prior governmental interests.”

Apparently the law only applies to religious groups that Liberals approve of.

Captain Obvious
06-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Apparantly wingnuts only care when it applies to "christians".

Cigar
06-30-2014, 12:01 PM

BAM! :laugh:

Gerrard Winstanley
06-30-2014, 12:04 PM
There's an enduring self-pity complex about Christianity that only appears in a few other religions. Goes back to the days of the Crucifixion, I guess.

Captain Obvious
06-30-2014, 12:06 PM
There's an enduring self-pity complex about Christianity that only appears in a few other religions. Goes back to the days of the Crucifixion, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY

Mister D
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM

The Crucifixion happened in the US during the 1970s?

Green Arrow
06-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Pretty much.

Gerrard Winstanley
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
The Crucifixion happened in the US during the 1970s?
Elaborate?

Mister D
06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Elaborate?

I have no idea what you mean by "enduring self-pity complex" unless you're referring to the aggresssive secularization in the US that began in the late 60s/early 70s and the Christian (largely evangelical Protestant) reaction to it. Tell us more.

Gerrard Winstanley
06-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I have no idea what you mean by "enduring self-pity complex" unless you're referring to the aggresssive secularization in the US that began in the late 60s/early 70s and the Christian (largely evangelical Protestant) reaction to it. Tell us more.
To equate anything socioreligious that's happened in the U.S. over the last 40 years with actual oppression (a popular evangelical talking point, less so other denominations) is an insult to the victims of real antireligious persecution in Eurasia and Latin America over the same period.

nic34
06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Secularization in the US began in 1776 and with the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli:

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Mister D
06-30-2014, 01:34 PM
To equate anything socioreligious that's happened in the U.S. over the last 40 years with actual oppression (a popular evangelical talking point, less so other denominations) is an insult to the victims of real antireligious persecution in Eurasia and Latin America over the same period.

That's nice. So what was this "enduring self-pity complex"?

Maybe nic34 knows? lol

spunkloaf
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM

To be fair, Christians were so used to running the western world for over a thousand years. Any entity with that big of an ego would lash out with the same anguish when the word of God is reduced to mere superstition so quickly during a scientific revolution. Christianity has served mankind well, despite the confusion. It's important to take the good with the bad, and at least understand why some Christians become so angry about sensitive topics. It's a bit more profound than just being whiny, it's growing pains of a cultural revolution.

spunkloaf
06-30-2014, 02:04 PM
That's nice. So what was this "enduring self-pity complex"?

Maybe @nic34 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=572) knows? lol

You're hilarious, Mr. D-wang.

Do me next!

Mister D
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
You're hilarious, Mr. D-wang.

Do me next!

That uh...didn't sound quite right.

Captain Obvious
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
That uh...didn't sound quite right.

Hey - might be the best offer you have all day.

:biglaugh:

del
06-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Hey - might be the best offer you have all day.

:biglaugh:

might?

Blackrook
06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Christianity is not oppressed by our government but is enduring an all-out assault by the liberal elite who really control our society.

del
06-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Christianity is not oppressed by our government but is enduring an all-out assault by the liberal elite who really control our society.

:rofl:

yes, the war on christmas continues unabated

Captain Obvious
06-30-2014, 07:22 PM
:rofl:

yes, the war on christmas continues unabated

Gotta love the war on X-mas crowd.

I'm sending out Haunaka (sp?) cards this year just to piss some of them off.

del
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Gotta love the war on X-mas crowd.

I'm sending out Haunaka (sp?) cards this year just to piss some of them off.

happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays,happy holidays,happy holidays,happy holidays,happy holidays,happy holidays
happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays, happy holidays

^

war on christmas automatic weapon