PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton's money problem

Green Arrow
06-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/hillary-clinton-wealth-108420.html):

Hillary Clinton is having a very hard time being rich.

After two weeks of verbal gaffes and unflattering headlines, Democratic operatives, political historians and counselors to the nation's wealthy agree that Clinton's current strategy -- acting like she's not incredibly rich and made her money the old-fashioned way -- is not working and needs to change. Fast.

"Her responses so far have come off as somewhat disingenuous, probably because she has a lot of ambivalence about her own wealth," said Jamie Traeger-Muney, a psychologist whose Wealth Legacy Group focuses on counseling the affluent, an especially busy business in the current era of hostility to the 1 percent. "It feels like there is a lot of shame in there, and that is very common for wealth holders, especially in today's climate."

It's unclear whether a super-wealthy Democratic presidential aspirant can succeed in a populist era defined by a tepid economy, flat wages and the Occupy Wall Street movement. Some Democrats argue these early dust-ups won't matter unless Clinton gets a primary challenge from the left. But the current criticism over her wealth could influence her decision to run -- and if she runs and gets the nomination, Republicans could paint her as out of touch with average Americans, much as Democrats did to Mitt Romney in 2012. There's also a chance Republicans will wind up nominating a populist, Wall Street-basher of their own, such as Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

The article is a very good read. Speaking for myself, Hillary's anti-civil liberties stances and "poor-mouthing" have completely turned me against her. If this were still 2009, I'd be inclined to support her, but she has destroyed that the last few years.

sachem
06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
She has totally mishandled this. Poor advice from handlers? Although I'd be surprised if she really uses them. Anyway, certainly gives her enemies ammunition. And she can't blame anyone but herself.

Green Arrow
06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
She has totally mishandled this. Poor advice from handlers? Although I'd be surprised if she really uses them. Anyway, certainly gives her enemies ammunition. And she can't blame anyone but herself.

The article makes a point that the reason she keeps trying to portray herself as not well off or wealthy is because she is ambivalent about her own wealth. Which really just makes her look worse...

The Sage of Main Street
06-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Over the Hillary was the last burp of the Baby Boomers.