PDA

View Full Version : UFO Galaxy Spotted by Hubble Telescope......

MMC
04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/tSnq27dDlMfeEC_GBrFt1g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NjIyO2NyPTE7Y3c9MTIwMDtkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9MzI3O3E9ODU7dz02MzA-/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/04/12/ufo-galaxy-ngc-2683-jpg_140138.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope has snapped this new view of the "UFO Galaxy," a spiral galaxy officially known as NGC 2683. The galaxy is seen almost edge-on, giving it the shape of a classic science fiction spaceship.

The Hubble Space Telescope has found a UFO, but this one is filled with stars instead of little green men.

The iconic space telescope snapped an amazing new photo of the "UFO Galaxy" — a galaxy 35 million light-years from Earth that is officially known as NGC 2683.

The galaxy was originally discovered on Feb. 5, 1788 by famed astronomer William Herschel. It is located in the Lynx constellation in the northern sky. But it was astronomers with the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory in Cocoa, Fla., that dubbed NGC 2683 a cosmic UFO.

Astronomers suspect that NGC 2683 is a barred spiral galaxy (http://www.space.com/13262-65-great-galaxy-photos-space-images.html), but the edge-on view from Hubble and other telescopes makes it difficult to see the object's structure directly. The off-kilter vantage point, however, does offer scientists a unique galactic perspective.
"In particular, it gives astronomers a great opportunity to see the delicate dusty lanes of the spiral arms silhouetted against the golden haze of the galaxy’s core," NASA officials explained. "In addition, brilliant clusters of young blue stars shine scattered throughout the disc, mapping the galaxy's star-forming regions.".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/ufo-galaxy-spotted-hubble-telescope-105802901.html

Pretty cool picture.....one can see those blue stars clearly. Calling it the UFO Galaxy is a bit misleading. Since we now know they have more than one shape.

MMC
04-13-2012, 05:44 AM
My Step-son has set up his Telescope.....we have seen some pretty cool images of the moon. Some nights it's like the moon is right there on top of us. Still, I don't like these politicans selling out our Lead with Space.

Hubble is collecting some cool images. Should have use that to catch that Cosmic Tornado. They never did say which way that shot out of the sun. Although if it would have hit Mercury. That would have been a show to see.

Conley
04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Very cool photo. It bums me out to think of the funding for NASA drying up. I'm not sure how many more great American projects like the Hubble will be in our future. Some other country will be exploring the stars.

MMC
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I am hoping not....nor that we would just leave such to buisness. Plus it can be put back on track once Obama is out of office. I mean I can understand scraping the shuttles. Specially if One is making a plane that can do the same as the shuttle. Yet have offensive Capabilities.

waltky
10-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Uncle Ferd says dis is where dey prob'ly comin' from...
:grin:
Galaxy study finds unexpected patterns
Oct. 19 (UPI) -- A study of hundreds of galaxies found an unexpected pattern of change going back 8 billion years, more than half the age of the universe, U.S. astronomers say.

"Astronomers thought disk galaxies in the nearby universe had settled into their present form by about 8 billion years ago, with little additional development since," Susan Kassin at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., said.

"The trend we've observed instead shows the opposite, that galaxies were steadily changing over this time period," she said.

Most galaxies go through a rough-and-tumble disorganized evolution before they settle into the rotating disk form seen in our Milky Way and other mature galaxies, astronomers said.

"Previous studies removed galaxies that did not look like the well-ordered rotating disks now common in the universe today," said co-author Benjamin Weiner, an astronomer at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/10/19/Galaxy-study-finds-unexpected-patterns/UPI-27371350691453/#ixzz2A0AG8UUf

See also:

Earth-sized Planet Discovered
October 17, 2012 - Astronomers in Europe have discovered the first-ever planet with a mass similar to Earth and orbiting a star like the Sun. And, in galactic terms, it’s right next door.

The unnamed planet is in the Alpha Centauri star system, the nearest system to Earth, according to the European Southern Observatory (ESO). “This result represents a major step towards the detection of a twin Earth in the immediate vicinity of the Sun. We live in exciting times!” said Xavier Dumusque of the Geneva Observatory and Centro de Astrofisica da Universidade do Porto in Portugal in a press release on the discovery.

Despite the excitement, scientists say the new planet’s climate likely would not be nearly as hospitable as Earth. “Its orbit is very close to its star and it must be much too hot for life as we know it,” said Stéphane Udry of the Geneva Observatory and a co-author of the paper about the discovery. The newly discovered planet orbits a mere six million kilometers from its star, much closer than Mercury is to the Sun.

Alpha Centauri is the nearest stellar system to the earth’s solar system at only 4.3 light-years, making it one of the brightest objects in the southern skies. It is actually a three-star system made up of two stars similar to the Sun orbiting close to each other, Alpha Centauri A and B, and a more distant and faint red star known as Proxima Centauri.

MORE (http://www.voanews.com/content/european_astronomers_discover_new_planet/1528161.html)

Trinnity
10-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Great stuff. I usually don't like govt spending on much of anything. However, I do hope under the Romney administration, NASA will be revitalized. That's where I want my personal tax dollars spent.

Bane
10-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Pretty cool stuff.

Space has always interested as well as science. The things we can see out there is just jaw dropping compared to just 20 years ago.