PDA

View Full Version : Even If Hobby Lobby Wins, We Lose

Captain Obvious
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
From the archives of a partisan hack site:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/hobbylobby/

Today’s Supreme Court oral argument, in the case of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius, is correctly understood to pit defenders of religious liberty against those who believe that the government has a compelling interest in requiring employers to provide contraception, abortifacients, and sterilization services through their healthcare policies. In significant part, the case hinges on whether the companies—privately held businesses whose owners are unquestionably deeply religious individuals, and who run their businesses informed by those views—can be considered “persons” under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. I, like many Christians, hope their case prevails.

But while the businesses are often characterized as “family-owned businesses,” each is a national business with hundreds of employees and multi-state operations. Hobby Lobby is by far the larger chain, with 640 stores that employs 28,000 individuals. While it has religiously-themed goods, plays Christian music, and closes on Sundays, in most respects it is identifiably a “big-box” store that can usually be found in major retail corridors, surrounded by acres of concrete and provisioned largely by merchandise made in China. While it is a “family-owned” business, it is hardly a mom-and-pop shop.

Peter1469
07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
It is partisan. But not hack. They do good writing. Like Alternet does good writing on the hard left. Perhaps the best.

Codename Section
07-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Well it's the law now. Maybe we could stop spamming the site with threads on it. Or we could keep spamming. Either way. ((shrugs))

Kalkin
07-03-2014, 09:12 AM
The title of the OP has nothing to do with the text that follows it. Weird.

Chris
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Well it's the law now. Maybe we could stop spamming the site with threads on it. Or we could keep spamming. Either way. ((shrugs))

It's had its 15 minutes, americans can't focus much longer. Hurricane Arthur will blow it all away.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2014, 09:29 AM

I found this article from a while back anticipating the outcome, I thought it would be an interesting review considering all of the attention the issue got here.

Excuse me for trying to promote discussion.

Blackrook
07-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I don't see why the size of the store matters, or the fact that it purchases stuff from China, or the fact that it's stores are made out of concrete. This article is total bullshit.

hanger4
07-03-2014, 07:56 PM
From the archives of a partisan hack site:http://www.theamericanconservative.com/hobbylobby/''It's a funny phenomenon, when an issue has been beat to death it lingers on when the ants start crawling out from under rocks and rehashes over and over what's already established.So meh... whatever.''

pragmatic
07-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I found this article from a while back anticipating the outcome, I thought it would be an interesting review considering all of the attention the issue got here.

Excused. But it better not happen again.....<evil eye>

Chris
07-03-2014, 08:46 PM

You, promote discussion, what a joke.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
You, promote discussion, what a joke.

Angry old fool, reduced to heckling and trolling.

Nice life, douchebag.