PDA

View Full Version : ISRAEL, US Race to Avert Palestinian UN Bid.....

MMC
08-03-2011, 10:25 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/israel-us-race-avert-palestinian-un-bid-163637812.html
AP – 17 hrs ago.....
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel is working with the United States to find a way to revive peace negotiations with the Palestinians in a desperate attempt to avert a diplomatic showdown at the U.N. next month, an Israeli official confirmed Tuesday.

Peace talks have been mostly stalled for nearly three years, and the Palestinians refuse to resume negotiations while Israel continues to build settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem. The Palestinians claim both areas, captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war, for their future state.

In the absence of a negotiated peace deal, the Palestinians plan to ask the United Nations to recognize their independence next month. The vote would be symbolic, but the Palestinians nonetheless hope it will isolate Israel and improve their negotiating position in the future.
Israel and the U.S. both oppose the U.N. bid, saying the conflict should be resolved through negotiations. Israel also fears the U.N. vote could spark street protests and potentially violent unrest.

The Palestinians are also demanding a halt to Israeli settlement construction before resuming talks. They say there is no point in negotiating if Israel continues to build homes in Jewish enclaves built on territories claimed by the Palestinians.
Some 500,000 Israelis live in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, including several thousand settlers living in West Bank outposts considered unauthorized even by Israel itself.

Outposts are enclaves that settlers erected in an attempt to claim more West Bank land. The government has not authorized these outposts, but has often turned a blind eye while they were built.....snip! Thoughts? :o :-\

MMC
08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
He said the U.S. is looking for Israel to endorse President Barack Obama's call for the borders of a future Palestine to be based on the pre-1967 lines between Israel and the West Bank, with some modifications based on negotiated land swaps.
In Washington, State Department spokesman Mark Toner declined to comment on the report that Israel agreed to negotiate on the basis of the pre-1967 cease-fire line. He also repeated U.S. opposition to the Palestinian U.N. initiative, adding that "we're working hard with both parties to find a way back to the negotiating table before then."

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly said he will not return to the 1967 lines, and that he wants to retain chunks of the West Bank. But the official said Israel is "willing to show some flexibility" on the matter, if the Palestinians show flexibility with Israeli concerns.
Netanyahu has demanded the Palestinians recognize Israel as "the Jewish state," a position endorsed by Obama. The Palestinians reject this demand, saying it would undermine the rights of Israel's Arab minority as well as those of Palestinian refugees who hope to return to lost properties in Israel.

Some 500,000 Israelis live in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, including several thousand settlers living in West Bank outposts considered unauthorized even by Israel itself.

In a key ruling Tuesday, Israel's Supreme Court ordered the government to dismantle the largest of the more than 100 unauthorized outposts. The anti-settlement Peace Now group called it a landmark ruling.....snip

This is what more of Israel and the US have to say.....

hellraiser
08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
israel should stop the building and return the land to the people of paleistine

this is my opinion

Mister D
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
israel should stop the building and return the land to the people of paleistine

this is my opinion

If the people of Palestine wuold assure the Israelis that they will let them live in peace I don't think the Israelis would mind.

hellraiser
08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
please

one side has rpg other has american fighter planes and bombs. its not a real comparison

Mister D
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
please

one side has rpg other has american fighter planes and bombs. its not a real comparison

So the weaker side is the morally right side? What does it matter if one side has less sophisticated weapons? You seem to have inverted the old saying "might makes right".

MMC
08-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I think the writer made more out of this than what there is. The UN cannot recognize the Palestinians in any official compacity. The US and Israel do not seem to be in any race to prevent anything from happening in the UN. Because nothing can happen in the UN. Other than the Palestinians getting some PR.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I think the writer made more out of this than what there is. The UN cannot recognize the Palestinians in any official compacity. The US and Israel do not seem to be in any race to prevent anything from happening in the UN. Because nothing can happen in the UN. Other than the Palestinians getting some PR.

They already get plenty of that.

MMC
08-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Also I would note that the settlers have not changed and employ hundreds of Palestinians. That the Israelis state no new settlements are being put up in any new land or land that would be considered Palestine. That the new settlements are already in areas that were established. But that these also are mixed populations and they also are creating jobs and employing Palestinians.

hellraiser
08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
please

So the weaker side is the morally right side? What does it matter if one side has less sophisticated weapons? You seem to have inverted the old saying "might makes right".

so a man can beat up a boy, this is ok?

of course not. i am saying palestine does not threaten israel like israel threatens palestine.

palestine does not threaten peace. hard to threaten tanks with rocks and bottles.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
please

so a man can beat up a boy, this is ok?

of course not. i am saying palestine does not threaten israel like israel threatens palestine.

palestine does not threaten peace. hard to threaten tanks with rocks and bottles.

Palestinians aren't children and many "boys" are more than capable of beating the living hell out of older men.

Israel would not bother threatening Palestine if there could be some guarantee of peace.

You forgot about rockets. mortars and suicide bombers.

hellraiser
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
these are weapons of people who do not have tanks and jets it is all they can use

no one has love for the palestines

Mister D
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
these are weapons of people who do not have tanks and jets it is all they can use

no one has love for the palestines

What does inferior weaponry have to do with right and wrong? Why does the Left always see virtue in weakness?

That has to be the most ridiculous distortion of reality I think I've ever heard. No one has had any love for the Jews. Otherwise, Zionism would never have developed.

hellraiser
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
why do you side with israel?

why should israel be given land that belonged to palestine? why did no one ask the palestines? why? there are many questions

hellraiser
08-04-2011, 07:05 PM
and

why do you say egalitarians is absurd? all men are not equal?

Conley
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
e·gal·i·tar·i·an/iˌgaləˈte(ə)rēən/
Adjective: Of, relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
Noun: A person who advocates or supports such a principle.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 07:21 PM
why do you side with israel?

why should israel be given land that belonged to palestine? why did no one ask the palestines? why? there are many questions

Israel has accountable authorities. The Palestinians do not.

If we were discussing this right after WW2 your question would make sense but Israel is an established fact. It's not going anywhere except via violence. Is this what you support?

Mister D
08-04-2011, 07:23 PM
and

why do you say egalitarians is absurd? all men are not equal?

Equality is a biological and legal fiction. Even if we reduce this to equality before the law it's still mere sentiment and not a reflection of social reality.

Conley
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I know it will never be a reality but I would like to see equality before the law.

hellraiser
08-04-2011, 08:04 PM
why say such a thing? i am for peace i said this

so if something bad happened after ww2 we do not try to make it right? makes no sense

yes palestine has been hurt since ww2 even more reason to help them

should have stole land from germany not palestine! palestine did nothing

Mister D
08-05-2011, 08:01 AM
why say such a thing? i am for peace i said this

so if something bad happened after ww2 we do not try to make it right? makes no sense

yes palestine has been hurt since ww2 even more reason to help them

should have stole land from germany not palestine! palestine did nothing

So am I. Why do you ay such things to me?

Again, Israel exists. It's not going anywhere. What is your solution? If you desire peace, destroying Israel certainly can't be the solution.