PDA

View Full Version : Remake time

donttread
07-04-2014, 02:26 PM
"How many deaths will it take until he knows that too many people have died:

What a great time for a remake of Bob Dylan's classic "Blowin in the wind" !How many remember?
Somebody could have a hit, bank some cash and maybe unite a movement

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 02:33 PM

What a great time for a remake of Bob Dylan's classic "Blowin in the wind" !How many remember?

Bob might have something to say about that. I don't think he allows too many "remakes".

Good song though...but not my favorite era of Dylan. Desire, Blood On The Tracks...those are my all time favorites.

donttread
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Bob might have something to say about that. I don't think he allows too many "remakes".

Good song though...but not my favorite era of Dylan. Desire, Blood On The Tracks...those are my all time favorites.

Back when the lyrics had meaning and music was not about air brushed videos

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Back when the lyrics had meaning and music was not about air brushed videos

There is still lots of great music out there. It's just not on TV or most radio. I haven't watched a music video in over a decade.

Chris
07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
From 1963...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCipKmyngLY

To next album, "Shadows in the Night" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2PHtS2bKg

protectionist
07-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Perhaps it is a taste (subjective) thing, but I don't think Dylan's 70's songs come anywhere close to his 60s ones. >> Hard Rain, Chimes of Freedom, It's All Right Ma, Mr Tambourine Man, Only a Pawn, Rolling Stone, Weary Tune, etc, especially for the poetry.

One 70s song I revere though, is Gotta Serve Somebody.

protectionist
07-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't think now is quite the right time for a remake of Blowin in the Wind. At that time, the Vietnam War war was starting up to it fuller scale, and Dylan had a huge point. The Vietnamese never attacked us. But the Muslim nutties have attacked us, they continue to attack us, with with ISIS fighting in Iraq, they threaten to attack us much more than we ever have been.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Perhaps it is a taste (subjective) thing, but I don't think Dylan's 70's songs come anywhere close to his 60s ones. >> Hard Rain, Chimes of Freedom, It's All Right Ma, Mr Tambourine Man, Only a Pawn, Rolling Stone, Weary Tune, etc, especially for the poetry.

One 70s song I revere though, is Gotta Serve Somebody.

I guess it's taste...It's all subjective. I find his early stuff very lyrical, but too simplistic and folky. Except some stuff off Nashville Skyline.

His 70's stuff to me is the best. Tangled Up In Blue, Isis, Sara, Shelter from the storm, Idiot wind...awesome.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 03:12 PM
I don't think now is quite the right time for a remake of Blowin in the Wind. At that time, the Vietnam War war was starting up to it fuller scale, and Dylan had a huge point. The Vietnamese never attacked us. But the Muslim nutties have attacked us, they continue to attack us, with with ISIS fighting in Iraq, they threaten to attack us much more than we ever have been.

Speaking of ISIS...

http://vimeo.com/61341838

Chris
07-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Favorite Bob Dylan line: "He not busy being born is busy dying."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULB2DLGUJ94

donttread
07-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Iraq never attacked us. And the terrorist who did targeted us due to 50 years of meddling in their affairs

Peter1469
07-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Iraq never attacked us. And the terrorist who did targeted us due to 50 years of meddling in their affairs

Not really. They were just making a statement by attacking the big dog on the block. Islam has the near war and the far war.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Not really. They were just making a statement by attacking the big dog on the block. Islam has the near war and the far war.

But DT has a point...the rise of Radical Islam has been in part a response to western influence and meddling in the area.

Peter1469
07-04-2014, 04:01 PM
But DT has a point...the rise of Radical Islam has been in part a response to western influence and meddling in the area.

How? It has been a fringe movement in Islam since ~760AD.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
How? It has been a fringe movement in Islam since ~760AD.

of course it has...but it's pretty clear through their words and deeds that it is the west and its actions in the region are their motivating factor. Our actions are also their biggest and best recruiting tool.

Peter1469
07-04-2014, 04:13 PM
of course it has...but it's pretty clear through their words and deeds that it is the west and its actions in the region are their motivating factor. Our actions are also their biggest and best recruiting tool.

Or maybe just convenient? If it wasn't the West they would come up with some other excuse.

Matty
07-04-2014, 04:13 PM
This one!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpO2B6G4s

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Or maybe just convenient? If it wasn't the West they would come up with some other excuse.

Uh, I guess. But if you want to ignore the fact that western intervention plays a major role, it's a dangerous omission.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
This one!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpO2B6G4s

Uh oh...there's a Canadian in that band. ;)

Redrose
07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Speaking of ISIS...

http://vimeo.com/61341838
ISIS frightens me. They are crazed religious zealots, with a 1000 year old religious doctrine guiding them. They will not stay confined in Iraq, they see us, the western civilization as the enemy...to be destroyed. Our soft border protection and our penchant to be PC, exposes us to real danger.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:21 PM
ISIS frightens me. They are crazed religious zealots, with a 1000 year old religious doctrine guiding them. They will not stay confined in Iraq, they see us, the western civilization as the enemy...to be destroyed. Our soft border protection and our penchant to be PC, exposes us to real danger.

...and yet such a great song.

Peter1469
07-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Uh, I guess. But if you want to ignore the fact that western intervention plays a major role, it's a dangerous omission.

It does, but it is not necessary to their desire to attack us.

Matty
07-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Uh oh...there's a Canadian in that band. ;)
Roflmao! An old Canadian. :)

Matty
07-04-2014, 04:33 PM
What was their excuse for attacking the Greeks?

Redrose
07-04-2014, 04:39 PM
...and yet such a great song. Common Sense

I never followed Bob Dylan, I just realized what you meant.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Roflmao! An old Canadian. :)

I'm an old Canadian...well not that old I guess.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
What was their excuse for attacking the Greeks?

You mean Byzantium? Muslims never attacked the country of Greece or the ancient Greeks.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
@Common Sense (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1085)

I never followed Bob Dylan, I just realized what you meant.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic...:)

Mister D
07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
You mean Byzantium? Muslims never attacked the country of Greece or the ancient Greeks.

They attacked both. Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:51 PM
They attacked both. Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire.

I don't understand what you mean. The Ottoman's were Muslims. yes the Ottoman empire was expansionist. Just as many empires before and after it.

Mister D
07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't understand what you mean. The Ottoman's were Muslims. yes the Ottoman empire was expansionist. Just as many empires before and after it.

I'm saying they attacked the Greeks. no more. no less.

Common Sense
07-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm saying they attacked the Greeks. no more. no less.

The Ottomans did...sure. Empires often attack their neighbors.

Mister D
07-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Islam has been doing so since its inception. The Holy Land, for example, was Christian for centuries. I don't support our meddling. That said, lets not play games.

protectionist
07-04-2014, 11:25 PM

The point is to not be an empire. To not go around conquering other peoples in other lands. But Muslims can never leave others alone. The legacy of their great prophet, Mo the Pedophile, is CONQUEST. It is written all throughout the Koran. And THIS is the (partial) result >>

Basra attacked/conquered - 634 AD

Damascus attacked/conquered - 635 AD

Ctesiphon attacked/conquered - 636 AD

Alexandria attacked/conquered - 641 AD

Sicily attacked/conquered - 666 AD

Kabul attacked/conquered - 670 AD

Jerusalem attacked/conquered - 687 AD

Carthage attacked/conquered - 698 AD

Southern Spain attacked/conquered - 711 AD

Narbonne (Southern France) attacked/conquered - 720 AD

Battle of Poitiers (France) - Muslim advance halted - 732 AD

Armenia attacked/conquered - 1064 AD

Battle of Manzikert - 1071 AD

Nicaea attacked/conquered - 1331 AD

Kosovo attacked/conquered - 1389 AD

Bulgaria attacked/conquered - 1393 AD

Constantinople attacked - 1453 AD

Greece attacked/conquered - 1460 AD

Belgrade attacked/conquered - 1521 AD

Siege of Vienna (attacked) - Muslim advance halted - 1683 AD

protectionist
07-04-2014, 11:41 PM
BTW, the ISIS warriors should take note that there was a mistake made in the hadiths. It wasn't really 72 virgins in paradise. Actually, it was one virgin, 72 years old. I just stopped the war in Iraq. :laughing7:

donttread
07-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Nope. They'd still be perfectly happy killing each other over which pair of PJ's their savior wore if we hadn't fucked with the whole region and given their craziness an outlet

donttread
07-07-2014, 08:11 AM

They were crazy and homicidal before we got there, now they are crazy and homicidal in our direction. Predictable? Yes. Avoidable? Yes. Good for the megacorps? Yes. Good for the rest of us? No

Captain Obvious
07-07-2014, 10:24 AM

This might interest you (or it might not) but I caught this on the radio driving back to WV last weekend. It's about how nothing is really original but somewhere in the middle of the program they zoom in on Dylan's earlier folk stuff and point out how unoriginal he really was, that his songs were basically remakes of other people's work.

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/27/322721353/why-would-more-than-500-artists-sample-the-same-song

Chris
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
This might interest you (or it might not) but I caught this on the radio driving back to WV last weekend. It's about how nothing is really original but somewhere in the middle of the program they zoom in on Dylan's earlier folk stuff and point out how unoriginal he really was, that his songs were basically remakes of other people's work.

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/27/322721353/why-would-more-than-500-artists-sample-the-same-song

Dylan would be the first to acknowledge his indebtedness to folk, blues, gospel and other genres came before him.

Same is true for science, technology, philosophy, religion, politics.

It's only in the realm of personal opinion that the uninformed believe they're unique in their ideas and views.

protectionist
07-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Nope. They'd still be perfectly happy killing each other over which pair of PJ's their savior wore if we hadn't fucked with the whole region and given their craziness an outlet

Their goal has been WORLDwide conquest from the beginning.

protectionist
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM

That is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen, and it shows a clear cut evidence of talking without knowing what you're talking about. There has never been a more original and prolifically so, songwriter in American history than Bob Dylan. The only thing they might have "pointed out" is what idiots they are.

Dylan almost never covers other people's songs, and in over 50 years of recording, the only album he's ever made that has a few covers is his first one in 1962. You think a writer like Bob Dylan would need to take other people's work ? He's the last person that could ever fit that description. Sheeeeeeshh!! http://thepoliticsforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/geez.gif

It's just the opposite. There must be thousands of people who have recorded Dylan's songs.

protectionist
07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Dylan would be the first to acknowledge his indebtedness to folk, blues, gospel and other genres came before him.

Same is true for science, technology, philosophy, religion, politics.

It's only in the realm of personal opinion that the uninformed believe they're unique in their ideas and views.

It is in the realm of fact that Bob Dylan's poetic lyrics are unique, and in a mind boggling number, over 5 decades.

Chris
07-07-2014, 04:48 PM
It is in the realm of fact that Bob Dylan's poetic lyrics are unique, and in a mind boggling number, over 5 decades.

Unique recreations.

Don't mistake, I like Dylan, always have.

The Sage of Main Street
07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
The point is to not be an empire. To not go around conquering other peoples in other lands. But Muslims can never leave others alone. The legacy of their great prophet, Mo the Pedophile, is CONQUEST. It is written all throughout the Koran. And THIS is the (partial) result >>

Basra attacked/conquered - 634 AD

Damascus attacked/conquered - 635 AD

Ctesiphon attacked/conquered - 636 AD

Alexandria attacked/conquered - 641 AD

Sicily attacked/conquered - 666 AD

Kabul attacked/conquered - 670 AD

Jerusalem attacked/conquered - 687 AD

Carthage attacked/conquered - 698 AD

Southern Spain attacked/conquered - 711 AD

Narbonne (Southern France) attacked/conquered - 720 AD

Battle of Poitiers (France) - Muslim advance halted - 732 AD

Armenia attacked/conquered - 1064 AD

Battle of Manzikert - 1071 AD

Nicaea attacked/conquered - 1331 AD

Kosovo attacked/conquered - 1389 AD

Bulgaria attacked/conquered - 1393 AD

Constantinople attacked - 1453 AD

Greece attacked/conquered - 1460 AD

Belgrade attacked/conquered - 1521 AD

Siege of Vienna (attacked) - Muslim advance halted - 1683 AD The peak of the last jihad was on September 11, 1683, the last day they could have taken Vienna and go on to conquer Europe. Osama bin Laden wanted to go back to that day and do it right. The Ottoman jihadis lost because their general got greedy instead of following his "mission from God." The rules of war at that time were that he would have to share the booty with his troops if they took Vienna. So he waited until it surrendered and his troops got soft and lazy and were easily overrun by the Poles under King John Sobieski.

Common Sense
07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
That is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen, and it shows a clear cut evidence of talking without knowing what you're talking about. There has never been a more original and prolifically so, songwriter in American history than Bob Dylan. The only thing they might have "pointed out" is what idiots they are.

Dylan almost never covers other people's songs, and in over 50 years of recording, the only album he's ever made that has a few covers is his first one in 1962. You think a writer like Bob Dylan would need to take other people's work ? He's the last person that could ever fit that description. Sheeeeeeshh!! http://thepoliticsforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/geez.gif

It's just the opposite. There must be thousands of people who have recorded Dylan's songs.

I'm a huge Dylan fan. I've seen him in concert numerous times...but the allegations are somewhat correct. While Dylan is a lyrical genius, he has borrowed extensively from other artists. Woody Guthrie, Muddy Waters, Henry Timrod etc..

The Sage of Main Street
07-07-2014, 05:09 PM
They were crazy and homicidal before we got there, now they are crazy and homicidal in our direction. Predictable? Yes. Avoidable? Yes. Good for the megacorps? Yes. Good for the rest of us? No Our oil companies piggyback off price-gouging by jihadi OPEC and should be nationalized without compensation.

nic34
07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI&feature=player_detailpage

protectionist
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm a huge Dylan fan. I've seen him in concert numerous times...but the allegations are somewhat correct. While Dylan is a lyrical genius, he has borrowed extensively from other artists. Woody Guthrie, Muddy Waters, Henry Timrod etc..

I take issue with your word "extensively".. In order for that to be true, Dylan's lyrics would have to be well above 50% borrowed. More like 75% borrowed. I really couldn't think of anything more ludicrous.
In all of Dylan's albums from # 2 (Freewheelin" ) to # 8 (John Wesley Harding), SHOW ME the extensive borrowing. Where/what is it ? You've got 90 songs to choose from. Go for it.

protectionist
07-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Unique recreations.

Don't mistake, I like Dylan, always have.

I got a feeling where this is going is two DIFFERENT definitions of the word "recreation"

Captain Obvious
07-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Look - I heard this on the radio and all I did was simply share it with someone who I thought might be interested in it.

If you look closely I neither say I agreed or disagreed with the documentary.

You old fool.

Peter1469
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM
King John III Sobieski led the largest heavy cavalry charge in history- 30,000 heavy horse. He saved the West outside of the gates of Vienna.

"I came, I saw, God conquered." (http://josephpilsudski.com/polish-history-sobieski-and-the-siege-of-vienna_283.html)
Sobieski after the Battle of Vienna

That was a letter to his wife.

The peak of the last jihad was on September 11, 1683, the last day they could have taken Vienna and go on to conquer Europe. Osama bin Laden wanted to go back to that day and do it right. The Ottoman jihadis lost because their general got greedy instead of following his "mission from God." The rules of war at that time were that he would have to share the booty with his troops if they took Vienna. So he waited until it surrendered and his troops got soft and lazy and were easily overrun by the Poles under King John Sobieski.

Peter1469
07-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Look - I heard this on the radio and all I did was simply share it with someone who I thought might be interested in it.

If you look closely I neither say I agreed or disagreed with the documentary.

You old fool.

It is a bit of an hysteric, isn't it?

The Sage of Main Street
07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
King John III Sobieski led the largest heavy cavalry charge in history- 30,000 heavy horse. He saved the West outside of the gates of Vienna.

That was a letter to his wife. In Michener's book on Poland, he irrationally claims that Sobieski was just lucky that he didn't arrive too late; there was no explanation based on the poor leadership of his enemy. History doesn't work that way, but in our era of Authoritarian Irrationalism, it is claimed that even physics works that way. The truth was that the Turk general could have taken Vienna a month earlier. Also that the Ottoman army had spent the delay partying and were not on watch.

Captain Obvious
07-08-2014, 09:19 AM
It is a bit of an hysteric, isn't it?

Yeah, he's just taking a shot at me. Unfortunately there was no basis for taking that shot since I opined on nothing.

It was an interesting piece though, I don't know if you listened to it. Being a musician myself I often considered that concept - what's original anymore? Virtually everything is a copy of something earlier if you think about it.

At one point a guy suggests that the only original thing ever, as far as we know was the big bang.

The Sage of Main Street
07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeah, he's just taking a shot at me. Unfortunately there was no basis for taking that shot since I opined on nothing.

At one point a guy suggests that the only original thing ever, as far as we know was the big bang.
That is part of the Authoritarian Irrationalist physics I was referring to. The Big Bang Theory requires an impossible concentration of matter. Rationally, it had to be a big blowout coming from somewhere else.