PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson

KC
07-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Was it a mistake for Johnson to run for President as a Libertarian in 2012? The man has legitimate executive experience as the governor of New Mexico, intelligence and a platform that could appeal to millennials. By running as a libertarian, did Johnson ruin an opportunity to be seen as a potential contender for the Republican nomination in the future? Or was his bid for such a nomination a pipe dream to begin with?

We live in a world where Rand Paul seems to be taken seriously as a contender for the GOP's nomination in 2016. I think if Johnson hadn't ran as a Libertarian there's a possibility he might also be seen as a potential candidate.

kilgram
07-05-2014, 03:59 AM
I am from a different culture with multiparties system. I believe that it was a right choice going separately from the Republican party. I believe that if people want change, must try to find it in other parties, not in the traditional ones (Rep and Dem).

Peter1469
07-05-2014, 07:08 AM
The republicans ran a clown. They won't stop if the libertarians roll over.

Mainecoons
07-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Well, maybe clown is a bit harsh but they definitely ran an establishment, progressive, statist, Democrat lite if you will.

The Xl
07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Didn't Gary run as a Republican early but fall out of the debates quickly?

KC
07-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Didn't Gary run as a Republican early but fall out of the debates quickly?

Yes, and he didn't gain much traction. I think it was a lack of name recognition. I obviously don't have a problem with voting third party (I ended up supporting Johnson in 2012 anyhow) but I think that he could have worked on his brand and made another run in 2016. Now that's he's made an attempt as a Libertarian his chances of getting the GOP nomination are zero to none.

The Xl
07-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I see it the other way. As a libertarian leaning candidate not named Paul, he'd be ignored in the primaries, regardless of what year it is. At least he kinda made a name for himself nationally by running as a libertarian.

Perianne
07-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I liked him, but he came off as a nerd.

KC
07-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I see it the other way. As a libertarian leaning candidate not named Paul, he'd be ignored in the primaries, regardless of what year it is. At least he kinda made a name for himself nationally by running as a libertarian.

The Pauls had to start somewhere as well. Johnson could have made more of a name for himself perhaps by making a run for Congress. He remains popular in New Mexico and could have won fairly easily. At least he could have strengthened his brand by joining the small but growing number of libertarian-leaning Republicans in Congress.

Mainecoons
07-05-2014, 07:14 PM
I liked him, but he came off as a nerd.

Yep. Maybe it is time to elect a nerd. Glib BSers certainly haven't worked very well for us, have they?

Perianne
07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Yep. Maybe it is time to elect a nerd. Glib BSers certainly haven't worked very well for us, have they?

I am not saying being a nerd is bad. I am a nerd, too. lol, not really.

People generally want someone charismatic, like Obo.

KC
07-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I don't honestly think many real nerds would be good policymakers. Nerds usually embrace a lofty ideal or imagine they can engineer society and improve it. Both are dangerous in my opinion.

Bob
07-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Was it a mistake for Johnson to run for President as a Libertarian in 2012? The man has legitimate executive experience as the governor of New Mexico, intelligence and a platform that could appeal to millennials. By running as a libertarian, did Johnson ruin an opportunity to be seen as a potential contender for the Republican nomination in the future? Or was his bid for such a nomination a pipe dream to begin with?

We live in a world where Rand Paul seems to be taken seriously as a contender for the GOP's nomination in 2016. I think if Johnson hadn't ran as a Libertarian there's a possibility he might also be seen as a potential candidate.

He was a Libertarian Governor so perhaps he thought that was enough. He converted to Republican but was not able to be part of the debates.

Too bad too. I did not know who he was until Mainecoons brought him up.

If he plans to run in 2016, he better get a good head start. Republicans don't know who he is. I know I did not and I knew the candidates pretty well.

It would help him to get a serious run up on advertising. Remember how Clinton advertised 2 years in advance of his final run?

Obama to this day gets all the free advertising he is able to collect.

We have to evaluate the Johnson record. I know I am willing. I want to also vet our other governors and not pick one merely because he might be today's flavor.

Herman Cain shot up like a rocket and crashed and burned. So did Rick Perry. Who recalls Fred Thompson? He flamed out too.

Bob
07-06-2014, 01:17 AM
The republicans ran a clown. They won't stop if the libertarians roll over.

You are no longer presenting a good image of yourself. Peter1469

KC
07-06-2014, 01:28 AM
He was a Libertarian Governor so perhaps he thought that was enough. He converted to Republican but was not able to be part of the debates.

Too bad too. I did not know who he was until @Mainecoons (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=145) brought him up.

If he plans to run in 2016, he better get a good head start. Republicans don't know who he is. I know I did not and I knew the candidates pretty well.

It would help him to get a serious run up on advertising. Remember how Clinton advertised 2 years in advance of his final run?

Obama to this day gets all the free advertising he is able to collect.

We have to evaluate the Johnson record. I know I am willing. I want to also vet our other governors and not pick one merely because he might be today's flavor.

Herman Cain shot up like a rocket and crashed and burned. So did Rick Perry. Who recalls Fred Thompson? He flamed out too.

No, Bob, he was the Republican governor of New Mexico with libertarian ideas. He switched to the Libertarian party after failing to gain any traction in the Republican debates.

Bob
07-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Well, maybe clown is a bit harsh but they definitely ran an establishment, progressive, statist, Democrat lite if you will.

He won far more primaries than Gary Johnson.

Mitt is tweeting and I read some of his messages.

Such a nice man and family.

Bob
07-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Yes, and he didn't gain much traction. I think it was a lack of name recognition. I obviously don't have a problem with voting third party (I ended up supporting Johnson in 2012 anyhow) but I think that he could have worked on his brand and made another run in 2016. Now that's he's made an attempt as a Libertarian his chances of getting the GOP nomination are zero to none.

I live in CA where the vote has no meaning at all. So when it comes to the national election, my vote matters much more. I won't waste my vote just to prove a point. We could vote for Josef Stalin to make a point or Hitler.

Gary Johnson has a tall order if he plans to run in 2016. I have nothing against him. His Bio looks very good in fact. But he really ran a dog of a race last time.

Maybe it is money. Those of you wanting Johnson should tell him and send him a hell of a lot of cash.

Bob
07-06-2014, 01:41 AM
No, Bob, he was the Republican governor of New Mexico with libertarian ideas. He switched to the Libertarian party after failing to gain any traction in the Republican debates.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had read up on him but thought he won NM as a Libertarian. he made a terrible error trying to win as a Libertarian. It was a death sentence.

I don't like the rules of the debates to make it clear. @KC

KC
07-06-2014, 02:16 AM
I live in CA where the vote has no meaning at all. So when it comes to the national election, my vote matters much more. I won't waste my vote just to prove a point. We could vote for Josef Stalin to make a point or Hitler.

Gary Johnson has a tall order if he plans to run in 2016. I have nothing against him. His Bio looks very good in fact. But he really ran a dog of a race last time.

Maybe it is money. Those of you wanting Johnson should tell him and send him a hell of a lot of cash.

But you already know that CA is going to go blue, so why not cast a protest ballot?

Bob
07-06-2014, 03:03 AM
But you already know that CA is going to go blue, so why not cast a protest ballot?

I prefer to not vote to do that. @KC

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 04:26 AM
You are no longer presenting a good image of yourself. @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

I won't vote for a moderate milk toast. If you don't like that, I am fine with it.

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 04:28 AM

Not voting is sort of a protest vote. It would be better if all ballots included None of the Above.

kilgram
07-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Not voting is sort of a protest vote. It would be better of all ballots included None of the Above.
As anarchist I should defend abstention (not voting) but it is the worst thing to do in our systems. It does not count anything and it does not count as a protest from the politicians. So it is not useful.

The best option, in my opinion is voting to the alternative closer to your ideology. It is what in Spain we've started to do, and even some anarchists have voted to third options.

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 05:15 AM
As anarchist I should defend abstention (not voting) but it is the worst thing to do in our systems. It does not count anything and it does not count as a protest from the politicians. So it is not useful.

The best option, in my opinion is voting to the alternative closer to your ideology. It is what in Spain we've started to do, and even some anarchists have voted to third options.

In the US, voting (for the most part) is winner take all. So if you live in a place with a clear majority, your vote makes no difference.

kilgram
07-06-2014, 05:25 AM
In the US, voting (for the most part) is winner take all. So if you live in a place with a clear majority, your vote makes no difference.
In Spain in some areas is the same. But we are fighting to change it. To defend that even your vote is thrown to the garbage, you should vote for an alternative.

In Spain, we have provincial regions, and for example, there is place for 5 seats or fewer, I think that Teruel (a province) has only 3 seats assigned.

It is distributed in this way, normally:

2 seats : PP
1 seat: PSOE

The rest of votes are thrown to garbage.

KC
07-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Not voting is sort of a protest vote. It would be better if all ballots included None of the Above.

Eh, not really. From the point of view of the political class it just makes it seem reassuring if independents don't vote for either major party. IF all the people who don't vote now instead started voting for a third party it would give politicians a reason to change.

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Eh, not really. From the point of view of the political class it just makes it seem reassuring if independents don't vote for either major party. IF all the people who don't vote now instead started voting for a third party it would give politicians a reason to change.

A none of the above vote would provide some cover for politicians who really didn't want to fold to special interests. I think it would be our most powerful tool in fighting corruption.

KC
07-06-2014, 01:06 PM
A none of the above vote would provide some cover for politicians who really didn't want to fold to special interests. I think it would be our most powerful tool in fighting corruption.

Yeah, but as of now there is no "none of the above" Not voting just looks like low voter turnout. Voting for a third party at least says that while you're willing to take the time to vote, you are dissatisfied with the available options.

Mini Me
07-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Right!

"None of the above, and cancel the election, and present a new slate of candidates, representing all parties"

We have to gut this two party farce somehow, and this may be the start.

Wouldn't that be something!?

donttread
07-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Gary is not a repub , he is a Libertarian. Rand has a somewhat unique situation with a part her is not truly a member of

Mainecoons
07-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Gary ran as a Republican in New Mexico. He made no bones about being libertarian and advocated drug legalization, which drove the establishment Republicans nuts.