PDA

View Full Version : House torn down

BB-35
07-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Tomorrow morning a house I've lived in off and on for 40 years is being torn down to be rebuilt with a new house because of damage done by hurricane Ike almost 6 years ago.

My elderly mom now is going to have a place where the roof doesn't leak

But a lot of memories are resurfacing with the house as we come across 40 years worth of pictures,knick knacks and just stuff

Christmases around the fireplace,smelling fried chicken my mom was making going through the house,lying in front of the tv on saturday afternoon watching godzilla movies,watching the 'bicentennial minutes',lying in my bed at night listening to distant lands on the shortwave radio kit I built.....

One thing I won't miss is watching my stepdad,after 30 years of hard work in the shipyard,finally getting the house paid off, and getting a brain tumor, reducing him from one of the strongest men I knew to a helpless invalid who couldn't speak at the end.

<sigh>

Long live the new house.

Matty
07-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Hugs.

BB-35
07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
:azn:

Perianne
07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Sweet.

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Once my mother dies, I am going to tear down our old house. I hate that place. :smiley:

Alyosha
07-06-2014, 10:19 AM
That is so beautiful and sentimental...I am the same way with these things. Hugs to you.

Alyosha
07-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I felt strange the first time I went back to "Russia". Even though I didn't think as a child I liked communism very much (probably because my parents hated it) there were things I liked, such as the simplicity and "pomp". When I went back and I see all these American style posters and western style ads something felt bad or lost inside.

Spectre
07-06-2014, 10:49 AM
I felt strange the first time I went back to "Russia". Even though I didn't think as a child I liked communism very much (probably because my parents hated it) there were things I liked, such as the simplicity and "pomp". When I went back and I see all these American style posters and western style ads something felt bad or lost inside.

Some article I read in the late 80s pointed out that the Iron Curtain, as well as introducing unimaginable oppression and misery to the countries of Eastern Europe, paradoxically also froze the cultural life of that region at around 1939, which means that the high culture that dominated pre-war Central and Eastern Europe with its love of classical music, literature and art was preserved as if in amber, and was regarded as a refuge against vulgar communist propaganda as well as acting as a shield against vulgar western pop culture and advertising.

Once the Soviet Empire fell, the communist propaganda ended, but Madonna and Lady GaGa rushed in, and that old Mitteleuropean high culture came to an end.

Alyosha
07-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Some article I read in the late 80s pointed out that the Iron Curtain, as well as introducing unimaginable oppression and misery to the countries of Eastern Europe, paradoxically also froze the cultural life of that region at around 1939, which means that the high culture that dominated pre-war Central and Eastern Europe with its love of classical music, literature and art was preserved as if in amber, and was regarded as a refuge against vulgar communist propaganda as well as acting as a shield against vulgar western pop culture and advertising.

Once the Soviet Empire fell, the communist propaganda ended, but Madonna and Lady GaGa rushed in, and that old Mitteleuropean high culture came to an end.

This is very true. The arts were very much respected and the way of life was much simpler. There are things that I do miss about it. I was telling this to Ethereal the other day.

My mother would send me for milk without worrying I'd be snatched up. I could go stand in line, get my milk and go home. I didn't have to count change. I didn't have to worry about a lot of things. As a child it did seem idyllic, if not for the sense of ominous foreboding you got from the adults around you. Kids don't notice that so much. You just went to your ballet and music classes, you swam in the large pools, and if you heard rumors about someone being taken you thought that they probably deserved it.

Newpublius
07-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Once my mother dies, I am going to tear down our old house. I hate that place. :smiley:

Unless it physically requires demolition, or the land itself has serious value, why not just sell it to somebody who might love it?

Peter1469
07-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Unless it physically requires demolition, or the land itself has serious value, why not just sell it to somebody who might love it?

I think most people would knock it down and build new. Or at least gut it and make it nice. It is just 1970s boring. I have friends in the area who did the gut and re-make thing. Their places look great- from the inside.

The living area (as opposed to the bedrooms and bathrooms) are split into a family room, a more formal sitting room, a dinning room and a kitchen. I would open all of that up into a big great room with a long counter to off set the kitchen. Expand the kitchen and get rid of the formal dinning room. Waste of space.

Mini Me
07-06-2014, 03:34 PM

When you were young there, did any of the Russian citizens embrace communism? Or was it just party folks that did?

I knew a couple that went to Russia in the 80's and said it was beautiful.

Mini Me
07-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Isn't Putin trying to bring back the old culture?

1751_Texan
07-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Isn't it strange how our lives as Americans are so similar.