PDA

View Full Version : North Korea May be Planning Nuclear Test to Save Face

Conley
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
The spectacular failure of a North Korean rocket, and the humiliation it presumably caused the nation's young new leader, makes it likely the regime will soon test a nuclear device or take other provocative actions, according to U.S. officials and outside analysts.

The United Nations Security Council condemned North Korea for Friday's launch, saying it violated two previous U.N. resolutions. And the White House said it would not honor a promise to provide 240,000 metric tons of food aid to the impoverished nation.

President Obama defended the decision to cancel U.S. humanitarian aid to a country that suffers perennial food shortages. His administration has not previously provided any aid to the country.

"They make all these investments, tens of millions of dollars, in rockets that don't work at a time when their people are starving, literally, and so what we intend to do is work with the international community to further isolate North Korea," Obama said in an interview with the Spanish-language TV network Telemundo.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-us-norkor-20120414,0,3787383.story

So much waste while the people starve, a shame really.

MMC
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
My only concern would be if they tried to do something with nukes when we are engaged elsewheres. Either way N. Korea is going to have no choice in dealing with China. As you recall we had that piece up where China is not opposed to a Unified Korea with a Capital in Seoul.

Peter1469
04-14-2012, 11:12 AM
I might have missed that article. I imagine that a Chinese condition for a unified Korea would be the removal of US forces from Korea.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2012, 10:21 AM
North Korea is like a bad Pokemon cartoon.

ramone
04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I might have missed that article. I imagine that a Chinese condition for a unified Korea would be the removal of US forces from Korea.

Should have been removed long ago, we've had around 30 thousand troops there for how long? 1950 sounds about right, anybody know for sure.

MMC
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
With this failed launch.....Obama has pulled back the food they needed. So what do you think the N. Koreans will do now?

Captain Obvious
04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
With this failed launch.....Obama has pulled back the food they needed. So what do you think the N. Koreans will do now?

This is what is so bizarre about the NKoreans, I heard some political head talking about how North Korea seems to do shit like this when they want attention - in a bid for sanction easement, but it's totally counterproductive.

They truly are mental cases.

MMC
04-15-2012, 11:06 AM
The one I heard says now they will push for a Nuke just to force the issue back to where it is now. :thinking:

ramone
04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
The one I heard says now they will push for a Nuke just to force the issue back to where it is now. :thinking:

Yeah, I heard that too. Won't do em much good if they can't get it over a thousand ft in the air though. Remember the other launch they tried, the one that was photoshop, it pedered out over the water somewhere. Probably fall back on their little s**t hole and blow up if they tried to launch a nuke.

MMC
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I think they were are concerned they will do underground or underwater testing. Not so much for a launch with the Nuke. Course then thats in China's backyard. So I think they might have something to say about that.

ramone
04-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Most likely, China has been a backer of NK as far as I know for awhile now. With a nuk arsenal that close in the hands of complete nutjobs they may change their stance somewhat.

What I find odd is that only after the failed launch did the US strongly condemn it. I never heard much about it or any retaliation that could happen if they went ahead with it. Now that it was a dud, they are all up in the air about it.

MMC
04-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Most likely, China has been a backer of NK as far as I know for awhile now. With a nuk arsenal that close in the hands of complete nutjobs they may change their stance somewhat.

What I find odd is that only after the failed launch did the US strongly condemn it. I never heard much about it or any retaliation that could happen if they went ahead with it. Now that it was a dud, they are all up in the air about it.

Well Obama did tell them that if they went ahead with the launch they would be violating UN agreements. Then told them won't get any of the food we were going to send to them.

Yeah China won't take kindly to having that blown off near them.

Plus I think Obama wanted to get that message off to Assad first. Which I put up about the UN headed to Syria.