PDA

View Full Version : Empathic civilisation

Chris Newland
04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
The planet is now facing several global crises, of which the climate, ecological systems, water supply, energy, financial system, justice, health, social problems and political inability are the most severe. Never before has our civilization been so close to a large-scale collapse. In addition to the global crises our society is permeated by hundreds of serious social problems. Furthermore, new advanced technologies that may help us in various ways also have the capabilities for extensive devastation with unknown consequences. Unfortunately, too many citizens are not sufficiently informed and therefore do not realize the importance of an intelligent and swift action. An increasing research reinforces social values as the main explanatory factor for the situation we face. However, even in this alarming moment our politicians are strikingly passive.

Please take a look at my new website www.empathiccivilisation.com (http://www.empathiccivilisation.com/)

All the best,
Chris

PS Utopian is only valid for those who do not believe in the true power of people DS

Peter1469
04-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I think that the several global crises that you speak of will not end human life; they will provide a reset and give us a chance to do better in the future.

MMC
04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I think that the several global crises that you speak of will not end human life; they will provide a reset and give us a chance to do better in the future.

Agreed Pete.....it's like all that try to state that the Mayan's said the World will be destroyed. When in fact such is not the case. moreover I think Nostradamus gave that prediction wherein the planet would be destroyed. But the time line was like 3957 or something like that. i don't have the stat off-hand.

Even if the earth axis does the flip with the poles. Sure there will be destruction and many probably will be killed. but there will be survivors and then like you said. It's hit the re-start.

Chris
04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Here's video, a TED talk, from years ago, an economist, Bjorn Lomborg, confronting these issues from the perspective of limited resources in the face of unlimited wants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtbn9zBfJSs&feature=player_embedded

You can't solve all problems, you probably can't solve any.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Looks like just a drive-by "go to my site" thread.

MMC
04-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Oh well.....we know all about those now, don't we! :evil:

Conley
04-15-2012, 12:44 PM
It started that way but our quality posters have made it a worthy thread in its own right. :grin:

MMC
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Thats because we be good like that.