PDA

View Full Version : Book Smart vs. Street Smart

texan
07-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Most business men that are successful have some good understanding of how the jungle works. They thrive in a chaotic environment and in leading they make some mistakes. Some are bigger than others but that’s life with the real world business men. But they know how to drive deals and sales.

The good old academic manager, the professor that was never out of a test lab and couldn't ever really be fired, inside the safe walls of the book he is finebut generally fails outside the walls of the book. They can read things and understand what the words mean, but they do not have much of a feel for the game. Obama falls into this category. He doesn't have the business experience to make deals and takes too many things personal. It is okay for him to take shots but he can't take any without holding it against people. He also thinks he can make a speech (which he is great at) and everyone will just understand why it has to be his way.

But the academics biggest issue is procrastination, this has caught up to him.The world tests and tests and gets no response. We liked it because we could sit back and say "I am tired of the quick draw and fire approach."But we have found out Obama is kind of a wet noodle. Yes he may eventually do something but he gets us in soooo deep by the time he does it hurts.

For example: they are selling that they will force a certain gov in Iraq toform. Who gives a crap about their gov? We didn't when we pulled out, why now? We held all the purse strings and left. So we should do what it takes to cleanup our second mess. One by Bush and now the second by Obama, only the one by Obama is looking worse at this time.

The man just sits and thinks as the world burns all around us and we have lostall credibility. Maybe this ought to have been more of a rant but I am not emotional about it, I am as matter of fact about it. It is just the truth.

Captain Obvious
07-09-2014, 10:15 AM
There are some members here who are very book smart but have absolutely no practical working knowledge. You can spot them from the moon, I can at least.

An education, knowledge is only as good as you use it practically.

I hire people and I will and regularly do give more weight to people who have a lot of experience versus a lot of education. Nothing worse than hiring a kid fresh out of college who doesn't know shit about shit and you basically have to teach them everything.

Paperback Writer
07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I always hear this from people, about how my degrees are worthless. I nod then go back to my job where I get to produce interviews with Frankie Sanford.

Rough life I have. :sarcasm: for bob and sachem

texan
07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Captain Obv makes some good points.

I have 107 people that report to me downline. As a young man I was more of the too quick gunslinger, pick and go type. As I gained some wisdom I developed some balance. Not as quick to draw and shoot, let the game come to you and know when to act. Don't act too late that is the worst thing you can do.

I always tell my managers and senior managers that hiring people is not a science, its a crap shoot. Whether they have good experience or education or whatever. Sometimes the quiet person is better than the outgoing person. Pick one and lets roll, not a science you have no crystal ball. In other words don't be afraid to make a mistake, thats what leaders do.

Obama is so fearful he will get egg on his face he just waits until its too long. Everyone knows this is the case now. I watched this foreign policy unfold and this mess slowly develop and it is just painful. When we don't lead, getting it right or wrong but in good faith, this is what happens and we should not forget this lesson.

As a father you realize its better to go overboard in your disipline than not, it is just a fact we all learn. When you are not tough enough you get real problems, when you are too tough you can bet the kid knows there is a price to pay.

Captain Obvious
07-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Captain Obv makes some good points.

I have 107 people that report to me downline. As a young man I was more of the too quick gunslinger, pick and go type. As I gained some wisdom I developed some balance. Not as quick to draw and shoot, let the game come to you and know when to act. Don't act too late that is the worst thing you can do.

I always tell my managers and senior managers that hiring people is not a science, its a crap shoot. Whether they have good experience or education or whatever. Sometimes the quiet person is better than the outgoing person. Pick one and lets roll, not a science you have no crystal ball. In other words don't be afraid to make a mistake, thats what leaders do.

Obama is so fearful he will get egg on his face he just waits until its too long. Everyone knows this is the case now. I watched this foreign policy unfold and this mess slowly develop and it is just painful. When we don't lead, getting it right or wrong but in good faith, this is what happens and we should not forget this lesson.

As a father you realize its better to go overboard in your disipline than not, it is just a fact we all learn. When you are not tough enough you get real problems, when you are too tough you can bet the kid knows there is a price to pay.

One of the reasons the O'bama surrounds himself with herds of 'czars' is so that he has people he can throw under the bus if/when shit blows up on him.

It's a common corporate upper management strategy too.