PDA

View Full Version : The GOP self-destruction is complete: millennials officially hate conservatives

Cigar
07-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Conservatives are stuck in a perpetual outrage loop. The reappearance of Todd Akin, the horror-movie villain immortality of Sarah Palin, the unseemly celebration of the Hobby Lobby decision – these all speak to a chorus of "la-la-la-can't-hear-you" loud enough to drown out the voice of an entire generation. Late last week, the Reason Foundation released the results of a poll about that generation, the millennials; its signature finding was the confirmation of a mass abandonment of social conservatism and the GOP. This comes at a time when the conservative movement is increasingly synonymous with mean-spirited, prank-like and combative activism and self-important grand gestures. The millennial generation has repeatedly defined itself as the most socially tolerant of the modern era, but one thing it really can't stand is drama.

Republicans were already destined for piecemeal decimation due to the declining numbers of their core constituency. But they don't just have a demographic problem anymore; they have stylistic one. The conservative strategy of outrage upon outrage upon outrage bumps up against the policy preferences and the attitudes of millennials in perfect discord.

We all can recognize the right's tendency to respond to backlash with more "lash" (Akin didn't disappear, he doubled down on "legitimate rape"), but it seems to have gained speed with the age of social media and candidate tracking. The Tea Party's resistance to the leavening effect of establishment mores and political professionals has been a particularly effective accelerant. Palin's ability to put anything on the internet without any intermediary has rendered her as reckless as any tween with a SnapChat account. Akin's whiny denouncement of Washington insiders is likely to make him more credible with a certain kind of base voter. The midterms are, as we speak, producing another round of Fox News celebrities, whether or not they win their races: the Eric Cantor-vanquishing David Brat, Mississippi's Chris McDaniel and the hog-castrating mini-Palin, Jodi Ernst of Iowa.

The fire-with-fire attitude of hardline conservatives has its roots in the petulant cultural defensiveness adopted by the GOP – especially the Christian right – during the culture wars of the 90s. Their siege mentality bred an attitude toward liberals that saw every instance of social liberalization as proof of their own apocalyptic predictions and conspiracy theories. Gay marriage will lead to acceptance of beastiality and pedophilia. "Socialized medicine" will lead to the euthanizing Grandma. Access to birth control will lead to orgies in the streets.

more

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/14/gop-self-destruction-millennials-conservatives-backlash

Blackrook
07-14-2014, 01:41 PM
If millenials want to destroy the country by voting Democrat then they deserve not to have jobs and opportunities, which is what is happening to them now.

Mainecoons
07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
It's why the term "young and stupid" has widespread applicability these days.

A young person voting for a Democrat is rather like a turkey voting for Thanksgiving.

How does it feel, kids, to be the most underpaid, underemployed generation in history?

Sorry to say, you voted for it.

The Sage of Main Street
07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Conservatives are stuck in a perpetual outrage loop. The reappearance of Todd Akin, the horror-movie villain immortality of Sarah Palin, the unseemly celebration of the Hobby Lobby decision – these all speak to a chorus of "la-la-la-can't-hear-you" loud enough to drown out the voice of an entire generation. Late last week, the Reason Foundation released the results of a poll about that generation, the millennials; its signature finding was the confirmation of a mass abandonment of social conservatism and the GOP. This comes at a time when the conservative movement is increasingly synonymous with mean-spirited, prank-like and combative activism and self-important grand gestures. The millennial generation has repeatedly defined itself as the most socially tolerant of the modern era, but one thing it really can't stand is drama.

Republicans were already destined for piecemeal decimation due to the declining numbers of their core constituency. But they don't just have a demographic problem anymore; they have stylistic one. The conservative strategy of outrage upon outrage upon outrage bumps up against the policy preferences and the attitudes of millennials in perfect discord.

We all can recognize the right's tendency to respond to backlash with more "lash" (Akin didn't disappear, he doubled down on "legitimate rape"), but it seems to have gained speed with the age of social media and candidate tracking. The Tea Party's resistance to the leavening effect of establishment mores and political professionals has been a particularly effective accelerant. Palin's ability to put anything on the internet without any intermediary has rendered her as reckless as any tween with a SnapChat account. Akin's whiny denouncement of Washington insiders is likely to make him more credible with a certain kind of base voter. The midterms are, as we speak, producing another round of Fox News celebrities, whether or not they win their races: the Eric Cantor-vanquishing David Brat, Mississippi's Chris McDaniel and the hog-castrating mini-Palin, Jodi Ernst of Iowa.

The fire-with-fire attitude of hardline conservatives has its roots in the petulant cultural defensiveness adopted by the GOP – especially the Christian right – during the culture wars of the 90s. Their siege mentality bred an attitude toward liberals that saw every instance of social liberalization as proof of their own apocalyptic predictions and conspiracy theories. Gay marriage will lead to acceptance of beastiality and pedophilia. "Socialized medicine" will lead to the euthanizing Grandma. Access to birth control will lead to orgies in the streets.

more

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/14/gop-self-destruction-millennials-conservatives-backlash The Milli Vanilli Millennials are reacting to their lack of economic opportunities offered by the exclusivist economic bullies pissing on them with trickledown. They blame other issues because it is frustrating and humiliating to try to do something about what seems hopelessly restricted. They should mercilessly attack the Heirheads, who are the only ones with a future.

Cigar
07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
If millenials want to destroy the country by voting Democrat then they deserve not to have jobs and opportunities, which is what is happening to them now.

50 Months of positive Job Growth with Zero help from Republicans :laugh:

texan
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
You mean the Millenials that don't have jobs? The ones pissed at Obama?

LOL

zelmo1234
07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Here is the thing DEMOCRATS AND LIBERALS will always try and deflect from reality

Here is what has been happening and they of course know it

http://pac.org/blog/are-millennials-making-a-right-turn

We have collage professors on the news actually concerned about the conservative shift!

Justme
07-14-2014, 05:13 PM
I find it interesting that, while the article says that a whole generation of American voters are tired of the "perpetual outrage" and the response to backlash being more "lash" and "attack mode," members of the right on this board respond with "outrage," and "lash," in an "attack mode." What those posts do is provide great support for the conclusions reached by the author of the OP.

Ransom
07-14-2014, 08:10 PM
I believe it was Darth Vader who declared the rebel insurrection's destruction complete as well. Much like the thread start, Darth supported the Dark Side. Both poisonous and lost but not without redemption. Even Darth had a heart.

Redrose
07-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Most are government positions. Big government is hungry.

Justme
07-15-2014, 08:15 AM
It is interesting that, after providing support for the conclusions sof the OP, the right left the thread without further discussion.

Mainecoons
07-15-2014, 08:29 AM
It's a stupid thread. We'll leave it to you, crawdad. At some point you might even figure out that being a camp follower of the biggest troll here won't reflect well on you.

:grin:

texan
07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
That makes us even I hate tatoo's and body piercings.

Ransom
07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
And look to these millenials...who voted for Obama and then pushed this health care initiative....but when it's time to sign up.........they don't show up.

Talk rather than action pretty much defines the millenials anyway. They can bluster and bloviate. Action time comes...and they falter.

Justme
07-15-2014, 11:21 AM
It's a stupid thread. We'll leave it to you, crawdad. At some point you might even figure out that being a camp follower of the biggest troll here won't reflect well on you.

I doubt that I will ever become your "camp follower," Coons, so I guess my reputation is safe.

zelmo1234
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM

jobs are not growing the work force is shrinking

look at the updated information on the right hand side of the debt clock!

There are 9 million fewer people working today that when Obama took office! This is 6 years after Obama took office

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

And of course there are lots of jobs bills that have passed in the house that the DEMOCRATS IN THE SENATE will not touch because there is enough support in their party to pass them and then Obama would have to veto them or have to admit that the republican policies were creating jobs.

AND LAST THE PRESIDENT DOES NOT HAVE ANY JOBS BILLS PROPOSED TO CONGRESS

zelmo1234
07-15-2014, 11:32 AM
I think that the Dems and Republicans really don't count on this group for elections.

you have to have something earth changing for them to bother to go to the polls.

They have turned on Obama, so it is going to take a special candidate to get them fired up again!

Polecat
07-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I am going to miss Cigar come November.

Mainecoons
07-15-2014, 06:27 PM
I won't. :grin:

Mainecoons
07-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I doubt that I will ever become your "camp follower," Coons, so I guess my reputation is safe.

If by "safe" you mean hopelessly in denial and a sucker for propaganda from the Daily Kos, yes your reputation is safe. Sorry but safe.

Mister D
07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Crawdad. I thought that avatar was familiar. Well, thanks for not bringing Red/Dionysus with you. Telco was OK.

Bob
07-15-2014, 06:48 PM
It's why the term "young and stupid" has widespread applicability these days.

A young person voting for a Democrat is rather like a turkey voting for Thanksgiving.

How does it feel, kids, to be the most underpaid, underemployed generation in history?

Sorry to say, you voted for it.

Like a Turkey purchasing his own dressing eh?

I love that.

Bob
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I find it interesting that, while the article says that a whole generation of American voters are tired of the "perpetual outrage" and the response to backlash being more "lash" and "attack mode," members of the right on this board respond with "outrage," and "lash," in an "attack mode." What those posts do is provide great support for the conclusions reached by the author of the OP.

Oh I have not begun to fight. Give me liberty or give me death. LMAO

Kalkin
07-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Another day, another desperate thread from leftist shills. Zzzzzz...