PDA

View Full Version : What Might Have Been

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:01 AM
There are many things I think about when it comes to what might have been.

My biological father had brain tumors that caused him to behave erratically. My mother feared him, divorced him, and brought me to America. What if he had not had the tumors and I could have been raised by a loving father instead of the abusive jerk she wound up marrying? What would I be today if that had been the case?

As for America, what if the South had won the Civil War? What if the Japanese had not bombed Pearl Harbor? What if JFK had not been assassinated? Many on here have a lot of admiration and respect for Ron Paul. What if he had won the Presidency?

These are things I ponder sometimes: what might have been.

Polecat
07-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I try not to do that myself. Tends to always culminate in a stack of regret for my own poor choices.

Peter1469
07-15-2014, 10:10 AM

My biological father had brain tumors that caused him to behave erratically. My mother feared him, divorced him, and brought me to America. What if he had not had the tumors and I could have been raised by a loving father instead of the abusive jerk she wound up marrying? What would I be today if that had been the case?

As for America, what if the South had won the Civil War? What if the Japanese had not bombed Pearl Harbor? What if JFK had not been assassinated? Many on here have a lot of admiration and respect for Ron Paul. What if he had won the Presidency?

There are several neat alternative history novels out there.

Sorry that you had to go through that with your dad.

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:13 AM
There are several neat alternative history novels out there.

Sorry that you had to go through that with your dad.

I read one called The Guns of the South where time travelers brought the South AK-47s. Needless to say, it made a big difference.

What alternative books would you recommend, Peter1469?

Peter1469
07-15-2014, 10:18 AM
I read one called The Guns of the South where time travelers brought the South AK-47s. Needless to say, it made a big difference.

What alternative books would you recommend, @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)?

I actually have not read any of them. I did have a series about the South winning the civil war and what happened all the way through WWII. Someone gave them to me when I last deployed to Iraq. But I never had time to read them.

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I actually have not read any of them. I did have a series about the South winning the civil war and what happened all the way through WWII. Someone gave them to me when I last deployed to Iraq. But I never had time to read them.

I didn't know you went to Iraq. Bless you, sir.

Can you tell me the name of the series about the South winning the war? It seems interesting.

Libhater
07-15-2014, 10:27 AM
What would have been if Obama's white mamma had aborted him like is the want of many of a liberal woman?

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:28 AM
What would have been if Obama's white mamma had aborted him like is the want of many of a liberal woman?

Then we would have had Hillary and we would have been even worse off?

Peter1469
07-15-2014, 10:30 AM
It was this series. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Victory_Series) I left the books in our "library" in Iraq.

Chris
07-15-2014, 10:31 AM
What if, a decade and a half ago, I hadn't decided to buy an RV and go to an RV forum to get info and opinions, and found them in one forum area discussing politics and got addicted to it ever since.

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
It was this series. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Victory_Series) I left the books in our "library" in Iraq.

Harry Turtledove. He is the guy who wrote The Guns Of The South that I mentioned earlier. I didn't know that he had written more.

Thanks.

Perianne
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
What if, a decade and a half ago, I hadn't decided to buy an RV and go to an RV forum to get info and opinions, and found them in one forum area discussing politics and got addicted to it ever since.

You would have never met Perianne.

Chris
07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
You would have never met Perianne.

Well, then, I'm glad I did! :hello:

monk
07-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Many on here have a lot of admiration and respect for Ron Paul. What if he had won the Presidency?

Sure wish we could have known.

Perianne
07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Sure wish we could have known.

You know what, monk? I do, too. While I am not a Ron Paul fan, I sometimes think about what might have been with him. He would have shaken things up for sure.

Common Sense
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
If WW2 hadn't happened the way it did, I never would have met my wife.

Mister D
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
If WW2 hadn't happened the way it did, I never would have met my wife.

Did her father resist the draft and thereby live to have a daughter? Good man! He refused to wage war on the mother soil of Europe!

PolWatch
07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Stephen King's '11/23/63' proposes several different outcomes to what coulda/woulda been if JFK had not been killed. Some of it is just weird (big surprise) but I found that some of it actually made me think twice....

Common Sense
07-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Did her father resist the draft and thereby live to have a daughter? Good man! He refused to wage war on the mother soil of Europe!

Her grandmother was Dutch and her grandfather a Canadian soldier. He brought her back after the war.

Mister D
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Her grandmother was Dutch and her grandfather a Canadian soldier. He brought her back after the war.

You mean the SOB shot at Germans!? :angry:

Common Sense
07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
You mean the SOB shot at Germans!? :angry:

Of course...as did my Grandfather and great uncle...Killed a bunch Nazis. :)

Perianne
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Of course...as did my Grandfather and great uncle...Killed a bunch Nazis. :)

If I had been alive back then, and if I had been a man, I would have joined the Inglourious Basterds.

donttread
07-15-2014, 02:43 PM

You have control over you today. Do not repeat your mother's patterns