PDA

View Full Version : Poll: GOP couldn’t live on minimum wage, but still won’t raise it

Cigar
07-24-2014, 02:02 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140724-most-republicans-say-they-couldnt-live-off-minimum-wage.jpg

A vast majority of Republicans say they would not be able to live off the current federal minimum wage, but they still don’t support raising it, according to a new poll released Tuesday.

The research, conducted by the left-leaning Public Policy Polling, finds 69% of Republicans say they don’t think it’s feasible for them to make a living off the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. And the feeling is bipartisan with 80% of Democrats and 74% of Independents sharing the same sentiment.

However, it does not appear to change the GOP’s stance. According to the poll, just 37% of Republicans say they support a raise to the minimum wage; nearly 3 in 4 Democrats back a hike. Overall, more than half of the respondents, 54%, back President Obama’s proposal for a higher minimum wage.

Strong Democratic support for raising the minimum wage is not surprising. In April, Senate Democrats introduced legislation that would have raised the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, but it failed, 54-42. The proposal needed 60 votes needed to move forward. Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) was the only member of the GOP to break ranks and support the measure. Even if the Senate vote has succeeded, the future of any Democratic-proposed bill to raise the minimum wage had a dismal outlook. House Republican leaders have said they would not debate legislation unless it included job training programs.

Some 28 million American workers would have seen more money in their paychecks if Congress would approve an increase to the minimum wage, according to Sen. Tom Harkin’s office – the lead sponsor of this year’s bill. Sen. Harkin’s office also says the federal government would save $4.6 billion annually from people no longer relying on food stamps.

The poll findings comes after the launch of a new campaign, “Live the Wage,” which challenges lawmakers to...

<snip>

More: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-gop-couldnt-live-minimum-wage-still-wont-raise-it?google_editors_picks=true

Do as I say ... not as I do

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 02:03 PM
The minimum wage is for entry level positions, for teens who live at home, unskilled people, and challenged people.

It isn't intended to support a family.

Bob
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Minimum wage again.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?320449-7/panel-discussion-minimum-wage

Chris
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
If I were making minimum wage I wouldn't ask the government to give me a raise I'd work harder and/or better to earn one.

Most people making minimum wage are like the kids of middle and upper class families.

It's entry level, most people move above it.

Cigar
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
The minimum wage is for entry level positions, for teens who live at home, unskilled people, and challenged people.

It isn't intended to support a family.

Is that a Law or a Beleif ... and where is that documented?

Is it on Employment Applications?

Is it in the Constitution?

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 02:07 PM

:shocked:

Observation.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Minimum wage is for entry level, unskilled labor, it's simple idiocy to consider this lowest level of production sustainable to support a family or whatever.

Our entire economic system can be boiled down to one simple statement - you cannot consume more than you produce.

Libhater
07-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Where does it state in the Constitution that there should be a mandatory raise of the minimum wage?

Common Sense
07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
If I were making minimum wage I wouldn't ask the government to give me a raise I'd work harder and/or better to earn one.

Most people making minimum wage are like the kids of middle and upper class families.

It's entry level, most people move above it.

The vast majority of minimum wage earners are over 20 (80%+). Over 35% are over 40 and over 50% are women.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Where does it state in the Constitution that there should be a mandatory raise of the minimum wage?

Word search minimum and wage in the Constitution.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
The vast majority of minimum wage earners are over 20 (80%+). Over 35% are over 40 and over 50% are women.

Are those the people who picked their nose in high school and got Ds?

Come on, if you aren't worth more than the minimum wage you have issues. Some mothers may take minimum wage jobs just to subsidize the family, but most at the minimum wage in late 20s and above have problems much greater than their income.

Mister D
07-24-2014, 03:02 PM

The overwhelming majority of those in my experience (I work for a PEO) are permanent residents from China and Latin America.

Common Sense
07-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Come on, if you aren't worth more than the minimum wage you have issues. Some mothers may take minimum wage jobs just to subsidize the family, but most at the minimum wage in late 20s and above have problems much greater than their income.

Yes, many may have struggled in school. Lots of people grow up with ignorance and stupidity surrounding them. Few people who grow up in impoverished areas, who have parents who lack basic education and are uninterested in the betterment of their child, make it out of the cycle of poverty they are born in. Some do of course, but the majority don't. That being said, they don't always have the education and the skill sets needed for better paying employment. They turn instead to unskilled labor, the food service industry etc... Those jobs may be unskilled, yet they do still work. They deserve a wage that they can live on.

Yes, these people have problems. But they have a job. They often have children. They often even have or are pursuing higher education.

zelmo1234
07-24-2014, 03:06 PM

News flash, minimum wage was never designed to support a family yet if there are 2 working in the family they can make it

However, I find your rage to be a little miss guided, as you never rail against the ACA and that has caused companies to only hire part time and you can't support a family on that either, and you have NO benefits.

Once you start bitching about what that is costing the poor and middle class a lot more than the few people trying to raise a family on minimum wages

Libhater
07-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Nothing in the Constitution grants the president authority to set or raise the minimum wage independently of an act of congress.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/371284/minimum-wage-executive-order-unconstitutional-peter-kirsanow

Chris
07-24-2014, 03:09 PM

Not even according to the government: CHARACTERISTICS OF MINIMUM WAGE WORKERS, 2013 (http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2013.pdf):

http://i.snag.gy/mmP9v.jpg

Mister D
07-24-2014, 03:10 PM
In my experience, a tiny % of those over 21 are natives.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 03:13 PM
A lot of the older ones have drool running down their chin during work time.

Common Sense
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Not even according to the government: CHARACTERISTICS OF MINIMUM WAGE WORKERS, 2013 (http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2013.pdf):

http://i.snag.gy/mmP9v.jpg

That chart doesn't add up to 100%.

So 19.5% are from 16-19. So how was I wrong? I said 80% are over 20.

Chris
07-24-2014, 03:23 PM
That chart doesn't add up to 100%.

So 19.5% are from 16-19. So how was I wrong? I said 80% are over 20.

The part I marked shows % of total workforce. Two columns before show 100% of only minimum wage earners. It still is no where near your claim that "The vast majority of minimum wage earners are over 20 (80%+)".

http://i.snag.gy/FhuRM.jpg

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh shit, charts...

Common Sense
07-24-2014, 03:40 PM
The part I marked shows % of total workforce. Two columns before show 100% of only minimum wage earners. It still is no where near your claim that "The vast majority of minimum wage earners are over 20 (80%+)".

http://i.snag.gy/FhuRM.jpg

These numbers are for people being paid an hourly wage. That doesn't include the many people who are salaried workers who are not receiving an hourly wage or people who are self employed.

Regardless, a large number of people are over 20 and on minimum wage.

Chris
07-24-2014, 03:44 PM
These numbers are for people being paid an hourly wage. That doesn't include the many people who are salaried workers who are not receiving an hourly wage or people who are self employed.

Regardless, a large number of people are over 20 and on minimum wage.

Salaried and self-employed don't make minimum wage is why.

Wake me up when you've got some "large" data, will ya.

Common Sense
07-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Salaried and self-employed don't make minimum wage is why.

Wake me up when you've got some "large" data, will ya.

Do you understand what I mean? These charts are only for those making an hourly wage. So that number doesn't include millions of people in the workforce.

Mister D
07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Do you understand what I mean? These charts are only for those making an hourly wage. So that number doesn't include millions of people in the workforce.

That's highly unlikely. In order to have an employee exempt from wage and hour laws you have to meet a certain conditions. Those conditions typically preclude roles that would pay minimum wage. There is no reason for an employer to put someone making minimum wage on salary. You would have to pay them for a full week regardless of the hours actually worked and you wuold still have to pay overtime if it was over 40.

countryboy
07-24-2014, 04:01 PM

It's called common sense. I'm not at all surprised this escapes you.

Polecat
07-24-2014, 04:02 PM
I lived on minimum wage for 20 years. I didn't have to have a bunch of bling. So I got by.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Unfortunately the greatest shortage of jobs is among twenty somethings. There are plenty of university grads working minimum wage jobs in places like restaurants because they can't find any other work.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately the greatest shortage of jobs is among twenty somethings. There are plenty of university grads working minimum wage jobs in places like restaurants because they can't find any other work.

How many of them graduated with good grades and with degrees attractive to employers?

Or, how many students majored in classical history with a C average and now can't find jobs?

Matty
07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
They can thank the man they voted for for that.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
How many of them graduated with good grades and with degrees attractive to employers?

Or, how many students majored in classical history with a C average and now can't find jobs?
I've met some with Accounting degrees, Teaching degrees, Engineering degrees... Unfortunately there are more people who have degrees than there are jobs in those fields, so they are serving sandwiches at a lunch counter until something better comes along.

Chris
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM

In the context of your claim about the vast majority, no, I don't get why salaried and self-employed are relevant to that.

But if the government data do not include millions, the number of minimum wage earners is extremely small. Here we go: 1.1 Percent of U.S. Workforce Makes Minimum Wage (http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/367758/reminder-11-percent-us-workforce-makes-minimum-wage-jim-geraghty).

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 04:15 PM
I've met some with Accounting degrees, Teaching degrees, Engineering degrees... Unfortunately there are more people who have degrees than there are jobs in those fields, so they are serving sandwiches at a lunch counter until something better comes along.

And I can tell you in the healthcare field, my hospital is begging area tech schools for interview opportunities with nursing and tech grads.

The concept that a college degree gets you a good job is long gone, you have to work hard and smart at your education.

Polecat
07-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Same thing during the Carter recession. I was 19 years old working at a Pizza Slut and lorded over 3 college grads only because I had been there for a year. One of them had a masters in political science. It was then that I decided not to contribute any money to an institution of higher learning. The last grade that I finished was 7th.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
And I can tell you in the healthcare field, my hospital is begging area tech schools for interview opportunities with nursing and tech grads.

The concept that a college degree gets you a good job is long gone, you have to work hard and smart at your education.
I think these kids will have to look further afield for employment. I live in a big city, so the grads here assume that there should be work here, but that's just not the case, because sometimes the graduating cohorts in any subject matter exceeds the available employment. I think too many go into the white collar fields when they would probably do better in the skilled trades.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 04:21 PM
I think these kids will have to look further afield for employment. I live in a big city, so the grads here assume that there should be work here, but that's just not the case, because sometimes the graduating cohorts in any subject matter exceeds the available employment. I think too many go into the white collar fields when they would probably do better in the skilled trades.

Exactly and even though ultimately it's the students responsibility to do the most with their education, the university system is wholly corrupt IMO where they're just selling diplomas in whatever just to generate revenues.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Same thing during the Carter recession. I was 19 years old working at a Pizza Slut and lorded over 3 college grads only because I had been there for a year. One of them had a masters in political science. It was then that I decided not to contribute any money to an institution of higher learning. The last grade that I finished was 7th.
Did you ever get your GED?

Polecat
07-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I did get a GED. And I tried my hand at a community college for awhile too.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Restaurants and bars are largely exempt from the minimum wage. They get tips. Around here a good bar tender can make a lot of money if they can get the good hours.

Polecat
07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Nice restaurant the waiters make out pretty good too.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Restaurants and bars are largely exempt from the minimum wage. They get tips. Around here a good bar tender can make a lot of money if they can get the good hours.
Not so much at the fast food joints and coffee shops.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Not so much at the fast food joints and coffee shops.

True.

lynn
07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Raising the minimum wage is a big issue now is due to the fact that those jobs that pay that wage are employing older workers, college grads, seniors, etc. instead of teens and people starting their first job. When you take away factories and move them out of the country, along with all of the other jobs that left for greener pastures, what is left is displaced workers that can find nothing else but minimum wage jobs.

Since they are not going to move any of those jobs back to this country, the only alternative you have left is to raise the minimum wage so these people can support themselves without needing government safety nets.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Raising the minimum wage is a big issue now is due to the fact that those jobs that pay that wage are employing older workers, college grads, seniors, etc. instead of teens and people starting their first job. When you take away factories and move them out of the country, along with all of the other jobs that left for greener pastures, what is left is displaced workers that can find nothing else but minimum wage jobs.

Since they are not going to move any of those jobs back to this country, the only alternative you have left is to raise the minimum wage so these people can support themselves without needing government safety nets.

That won't work. Employers won't pay more than work is worth. They will find alternatives.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 06:17 PM
That won't work. Employers won't pay more than work is worth. They will find alternatives.

Like India, Pakistan...

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
S.E. Asia is where it is at for cheap shit now. India and Paki are way to volatile.
Like India, Pakistan...

Redrose
07-24-2014, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Peter1469;700617]The minimum wage is for entry level positions, for teens who live at home, unskilled people, and challenged people.

It isn't intended to support a family.[/QUOTE

That is exactly correct. There are 40 year olds working in MacDonalds complaining they can't raise a family on their salary. Precisely. Just as Peter said, it's an entry level wage. We are supposed to gain experience, move on, better ourselves, get skills, education, get a better job, with a better salary. Salaries have a direct correlation with effort, skill, education, motivation and very often appearance. If your aptitude can barely handle flipping burgers, it's not society's responsibility to insure you get bigger paycheck.

I never had a minimum wage job, even right out of high school. I had skills, typing, sten, math. When I graduated in 1965, the minimum wage was $1.00 per hour. I earned $1.45, which was pretty good back then. I gained experience, changed jobs a couple of times, each time making more money. Also, later on I made sure I had a salary I could support a family on....before I had kids. Personal responsibility.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I started minimum wage twice. Once when I was 16. McDonalds. I did a good job and got a raise after 6 months.

Next in college as a part time security guard. Again, I got a raise within 6 months- and that was part time.

If you are a real adult and stuck in minimum wage, we need to really sit down and talk. There is no way that you can't do better. (Hopefully).

del
07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
if they raised it to $10/hr, it would still be less (adjusted for inflation) than when i entered the work force.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
if they raised it to $10/hr, it would still be less (adjusted for inflation) than when i entered the work force.

How has overall individual income fared also?

I've made this point many times, our standard of living has steadily decreased over the last few generations - right under our noses.

del
07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Oh shit, charts...

:rofl:

del
07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Like India, Pakistan...

it's hard to outsource lattes

del
07-24-2014, 06:46 PM

I've made this point many times, our standard of living has steadily decreased over the last few generations - right under our noses.

overal, it's been stagnant to declining for the middle class

in the 60's the average ceo made 40 times what the average worker did.

now it's 200+ times

the math's not hard to figure out, barbie lol

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 06:48 PM

now it's 200+ times

Then be a CEO.

But my point still stands, and if you add in other hard costs like housing (build an average house to the same specs today and what would you pay), cars, inflation.

Someone smarter than me probably measures these factors, I would really like to see this quantified, I bet the results would be eye opening.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 06:51 PM

If you are 30 yrs old, and only qualified to make lattes, the last thing that you should be wasting brain cells on is the minimum wage.... :shocked: Get your GED. Consider trade school or community college. Heck, if there is another war, maybe the army will take you in.

Bob
07-24-2014, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Peter1469;700617]The minimum wage is for entry level positions, for teens who live at home, unskilled people, and challenged people.

It isn't intended to support a family.[/QUOTE

That is exactly correct. There are 40 year olds working in MacDonalds complaining they can't raise a family on their salary. Precisely. Just as Peter said, it's an entry level wage. We are supposed to gain experience, move on, better ourselves, get skills, education, get a better job, with a better salary. Salaries have a direct correlation with effort, skill, education, motivation and very often appearance. If your aptitude can barely handle flipping burgers, it's not society's responsibility to insure you get bigger paycheck.

I never had a minimum wage job, even right out of high school. I had skills, typing, sten, math. When I graduated in 1965, the minimum wage was $1.00 per hour. I earned $1.45, which was pretty good back then. I gained experience, changed jobs a couple of times, each time making more money. Also, later on I made sure I had a salary I could support a family on....before I had kids. Personal responsibility.

As Lady Z and I were talking a walk today, we talked about minimum wage. I mentioned a referral from her, a certain very pretty Alice and commented that I could never have hired her for minimum wage. I know I paid her at least $12 per hour and this was in the early to mid 90s. I expected her to earn that wage.

Anyway, for some tasks, they earn a bare minimum.

When I graduated high school in 1956, it was .75 cents per hour. I believe working for the gas station, I earned at least a dollar per hour or a bit over that. That very year, I worked for a linoleum plant making the stuff and was making close to $2 per hour. I earned $58 per week to start at the phone company for 40 hours. $1.45 per hour was starting. By 1960, it was up to $1.30 per hour. By then I worked in heavy construction where my starting wage in 1958 had been $3.42 per hour.

If a person earns minimum wage, he or she is a teen or works at a place they selected for a sum they agreed to and it is not my worry what they agreed to.

I owned a machine shop in the last years of the 60's. I paid my foreman $5.50 per hour and the lowest paid worker got $4.00 per hour. Minimum wage was then $1.30.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Fractional reserve banking. You point, made below, means far less than you think it does.

now it's 200+ times

Captain Obvious
07-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Agreed - and this is another way moves like this will only expand Wall Street because big companies that can either absorb these additional costs or ship them overseas will survive.

Small mom-and-pop shops, not so much.

Redrose
07-24-2014, 06:56 PM

I agree. Our dollar is shrinking. That is where a strong economy comes into play. The last 10-12 years has seen our economy declining from the housing bubble bursting to this administrations failed policies. Heavy handed government regulations strangle business, inhibit job creation, corporate expansion and innovation, and well paying jobs.

Mister D
07-24-2014, 06:57 PM

I'm more concerned with my quality of life.

zelmo1234
07-24-2014, 08:10 PM

It has little to do with helping the poor.

The ACA has a large tax, without looking it up I think it is about a 40% tax on the gold plated healthcare plans that Union workers receive, with little to no out of pocket cost.

Many if not most Union contracts, base there starting and top pay levels on a percentage over minimum wage. So if you raise the minimum wage 3 dollars an hour, many union workers that would be subject to this tax, would receive huge pay raises.

allowing the Unions to tell there members yes they supported the tax, but only because they knew there members would get raises that were more than large enough to cover it!

And more important if they do not get this minimum wage increase? The unions will turn on the ACA and the Democratic party

zelmo1234
07-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Not really, check this bad boy out.

http://www.katom.com/654-FM2M1PFSUT.html?CID=Nextag&utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=CSE&zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=3&zmap=654-FM2M1PFSUT

This is a product that we are thinking of taking on for distribution.

If the minimum wage does in fact go to 10 bucks and hour, It will add at least 50 cents and maybe more to the Starbucks type coffee's

this little Gem will set you back 20K but makes about 50 different coffee drinks and one employee, can handle about 25 of these machines.

Customer slides their card and 20 seconds later they walk out with their favorite cup of coffee

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 08:34 PM
A starbucks coffee in NYC is about $2 more than one in DC. Cost of labor.

Mister D
07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
A starbucks coffee in NYC is about $2 more than one in DC. Cost of labor.

I don't so much mind NYC prices because lunch was almost always good even if over priced. I worked there for a while or I should day they had office there they kept sending me too. now if it was mediocre or crappy I'd feel differently.

TheInternet
07-24-2014, 08:42 PM

I see why you don't bother posting anything of substance... When you try, the above is all you can muster.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't so much mind NYC prices because lunch was almost always good even if over priced. I worked there for a while or I should day they had office there they kept sending me too. now if it was mediocre or crappy I'd feel differently.

Well, good restaurants there are a deal because they have like the highest number of good restaurants of any city on earth! A $300 dinner for two in DC would be like $120 there.

Mister D
07-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Well, good restaurants there are a deal because they have like the highest number of good restaurants of any city on earth! A $300 dinner for two in DC would be like $120 there.

Even the little cafes and delis. The food is generally good. If I'm reasonably sure my turkey sandwich and fries will amount to quality turkey on fresh European or Old World style bread I'm willing to pay a little more. I may be weird in this respect but I'm really disappointed when a meal fails to meet my expectations.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Even the little cafes and delis. The food is generally good. If I'm reasonably sure my turkey sandwich and fries will amount to quality turkey on fresh European or Old World style bread I'm willing to pay a little more. I may be weird in this respect but I'm really disappointed when a meal fails to meet my expectations.

I would say that about Little Italy so far as delis go. I am very disappointed how Chinatown has encroached on Little Italy.

I am not sure that I was impressed with lunch food outside of LL.

Bob
07-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Don't eat that crap at the DC Air and Space Museum.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Don't eat that crap at the DC Air and Space Museum.
The museums on the Mall are free, but the food is outrageous (price and quality). Within walking distance you can get great food.

del
07-24-2014, 09:35 PM
The museums on the Mall are free, but the food is outrageous (price and quality). Within walking distance you can get great food.

i went to air and space last year with my f-i-l. he flew a dauntless in ww2. it was pretty cool to see one there, and one of the docents or curators or whatever just about shit himself when he found out my fil had flown one at guadalcanal in 1942.

Peter1469
07-24-2014, 09:44 PM
i went to air and space last year with my f-i-l. he flew a dauntless in ww2. it was pretty cool to see one there, and one of the docents or curators or whatever just about shit himself when he found out my fil had flown one at guadalcanal in 1942.

They built another S&A near Dulles, I haven't been to that one yet. One of the shuttles got pastured there.

del
07-24-2014, 10:50 PM
They built another S&A near Dulles, I haven't been to that one yet. One of the shuttles got pastured there.

i'll have to check it out. i love the original

moon rocks! lol

Redrose
07-24-2014, 11:36 PM

I earned an Accounting degree, I was never able to earn more than $45k. I should have stayed in nursing school.

Dr. Who
07-24-2014, 11:38 PM
I earned an Accounting degree, I was never able to earn more than $45k. I should have stayed in nursing school.
Yes nursing pays well, but the hours are terrible.