PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: National Security Agency Whistleblower William Binney on Growing State Sur

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 11:41 AM
That's Growing State Surveillance....

We live in a 'free' country??? Not so much...good and worthwhile interview and discussion.

Video at the li

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/20/exclusive_national_security_agency_whistleblower_w illiam

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 11:56 AM
This dovetails the Democracy Now video and discussion because all this gathered information coupled with the Patriot Act and how anyone, American or otherwise, can be held without trial indefinitely....ANYONE can be singled out and a case made against them...intimidation is already being used as was disclosed in the interview above.

6 Things You Need to Know About the Government's New Spy Law (CISPA)

CISPA would allow information sharing between corporations and the government, and presents serious dangers to individual privacy.April 18, 2012 | http://images.alternet.org/images/managed/blogteaser_uscongressj001.jpg_310x220

Congress is seriously considering a bill called the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). Intended to allow information-sharing both between corporations and between corporations and the government, it presents serious dangers to individual privacy. The most important parts of the proposed act permit corporations to share information about their customers with each other and with the government if they assert that this information-sharing is necessary for national security.

While the need for better sharing of information might be necessary in some cases, in its current form CISPA represents a particular danger – a mutually reinforcing combination of public and private threats to privacy. Here are seven things you should know about this pending legislation:1. CISPA would allow companies to share potentially sensitive customer data with each other in ways that would otherwise be inconsistent with current laws that protect consumer privacy, such as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA). As the ACLU notes (http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu_interested_persons_memo__re__cyber_leg_info_s haring_april_16_2012.pdf), “[h]ealth records, gun records, tax records, census data, educational records – essentially all information now protected under privacy laws carefully considered and passed by Congress over the past decades --would no longer have that protection as cybersecurity information if these bills are to become law."

CISPA would also allow the government to require companies to share customer data without the warrant or subpoena that would be required under current law. The privacy rights of customers may be violated, in other words, without substantial evidence that they pose any kind of security threat.2. CISPA would also pre-empt state laws that provide more privacy protection than the federal standard. Citizens in some states would face diminished privacy rights both now and in the future.3.

Companies would be broadly immunized (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/cybersecurity-bill-faq-disturbing-privacy-dangers-cispa-and-how-you-stop-it#private-company) from both criminal and civil liability for sharing personal data under CISPA. This is important, because the threat of lawsuits is crucial to ensuring that companies respect the privacy of their customers. Under CIPSA, conversely, corporations would have little incentive to err on the side of protecting privacy and would not face legal sanctions for even wholly unjustified invasions of privacy.

Read more
http://www.alternet.org/news/155056/6_things_you_need_to_know_about_the_government's_n ew_spy_law_(cispa)/

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Only people declared enemy combatants can be held.... The executive is claiming wartime powers with no declaration of war. However we do have two Authorizations for the Use of Force- which in my mind are either identical to a declaration of war or unconstitutional. Take your pick.

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Only people declared enemy combatants can be held.... The executive is claiming wartime powers with no declaration of war. However we do have two Authorizations for the Use of Force- which in my mind are either identical to a declaration of war or unconstitutional. Take your pick.
That's not true. If you listen to the taped show you'll hear what's been going on from the horses mouth. This guy worked for the NSA for almost 40 years and quit when this started. There are two other people on the panel that talk about how they are intimidated over and over...this is serious and an "if they're not guilty they have nothing to worry about" frame of mind fits the program.

Obama has prosecuted more whistleblowers than anyone before...anyone....he's more of the same.

They also show how we, and congress etc. are being lied to about this.

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 12:45 PM
That's not true. If you listen to the taped show you'll hear what's been going on from the horses mouth. This guy worked for the NSA for almost 40 years and quit when this started. There are two other people on the panel that talk about how they are intimidated over and over...this is serious and an "if they're not guilty they have nothing to worry about" frame of mind fits the program.

Obama has prosecuted more whistleblowers than anyone before...anyone....he's more of the same.

They also show how we, and congress etc. are being lied to about this.

You are simply wrong. It is true that most presidents have not thrown down the enemy combatant card. It was always in the deck.

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 01:51 PM
You couldn't couple that with the information in the OP could you? How does what you say relate to it? We've used drones to kill Americans, we are spied on, the government is building a huge new complex to hold data mined from everywhere....they lie by omission and obfuscation...who will decide who the terrorists are and how will their families find them? What about the letters from NSA that can't be talked about? I seriously question how anyone can claim this hasn't already happened much less that it won't happen.

dadakarma
04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
You couldn't couple that with the information in the OP could you? How does what you say relate to it? We've used drones to kill Americans, we are spied on, the government is building a huge new complex to hold data mined from everywhere....they lie by omission and obfuscation...who will decide who the terrorists are and how will their families find them? What about the letters from NSA that can't be talked about? I seriously question how anyone can claim this hasn't already happened much less that it won't happen.

Remember how all who were skeptical of the WMD meme were 'tinfoil hatters'? Then it turned out the hatters were right all along?

wingrider
04-21-2012, 02:09 PM
You couldn't couple that with the information in the OP could you? How does what you say relate to it? We've used drones to kill Americans, we are spied on, the government is building a huge new complex to hold data mined from everywhere....they lie by omission and obfuscation...who will decide who the terrorists are and how will their families find them? What about the letters from NSA that can't be talked about? I seriously question how anyone can claim this hasn't already happened much less that it won't happen. yep ... and just think it is your president that has signed this into being.. remember what he said when he signed NDAA .. I won't use this against the american people,? and now we have NSA spying and keeping tabs on every single one of us.. yeppers,, what a free country we have .. NOT

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 02:21 PM

I agree. But it has been going on for half a century. It is not new.

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Remember how all who were skeptical of the WMD meme were 'tinfoil hatters'? Then it turned out the hatters were right all along?
All too well. Also anyone who questioned the policy or pointed out that torture isn't part of our culture were called un-American. Very astute dada.

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I agree. But it has been going on for half a century. It is not new.
What isn't new?

keyser soze
04-21-2012, 02:35 PM
yep ... and just think it is your president that has signed this into being.. remember what he said when he signed NDAA .. I won't use this against the american people,? and now we have NSA spying and keeping tabs on every single one of us.. yeppers,, what a free country we have .. NOT
He's continuing the Bush/Cheney policies...something that has been pointed out for weeks now.

Alias
04-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Your ignorance is showing again. Democrats said the same thing about WMDs and Saddam when Clinton was President.

Alias
04-21-2012, 02:39 PM
He's continuing the Bush/Cheney policies...something that has been pointed out for weeks now.

What are we supposed to do? Ignore terrorism?

wingrider
04-21-2012, 06:34 PM
What are we supposed to do? Ignore terrorism?
nope don't ignore terrorism, it is real it exist. but the way they did it trampled all over the Constitution, the bill of rights, and every moral code Americans live by.. the stupid government forget conveniently, that the first line of defense is the PEOPLE,. so what did they do? they virtually put handcuffs on all of us,, I would have armed every person in charge of the airlines from the stewardess to the Captain, also I would have done what Isreal does, with their system.. you notice no one ever hijacks an isreali plane? and every plane would have an armed air marshall on every flight. with orders to shoot to kill in the event of a potential highjacking, but did our government do any of that.. nope they just passed the patriot act and stomped all over the 4th 5th amendments and started spying on every American ,, now they have a data base that records every transaction, every word printed and every phone conversation, doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy and protected.. ? not me.. this country is so screwed it ain't never gonna be Free again.. your so called freedom is an illusion, someone once said that nothing is sadder than slaves thinking they are Free.

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
nope don't ignore terrorism, it is real it exist. but the way they did it trampled all over the Constitution, the bill of rights, and every moral code Americans live by.. the stupid government forget conveniently, that the first line of defense is the PEOPLE,. so what did they do? they virtually put handcuffs on all of us,, I would have armed every person in charge of the airlines from the stewardess to the Captain, also I would have done what Isreal does, with their system.. you notice no one ever hijacks an isreali plane? and every plane would have an armed air marshall on every flight. with orders to shoot to kill in the event of a potential highjacking, but did our government do any of that.. nope they just passed the patriot act and stomped all over the 4th 5th amendments and started spying on every American ,, now they have a data base that records every transaction, every word printed and every phone conversation, doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy and protected.. ? not me.. this country is so screwed it ain't never gonna be Free again.. your so called freedom is an illusion, someone once said that nothing is sadder than slaves thinking they are Free.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061207081929AAgwh5P

That is a lot of new government employees.

wingrider
04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061207081929AAgwh5P

That is a lot of new government employees. nope not government employees.. if the airlines need to protect their propery and the lives of the passengers .. they foot the bill not the taxpayer.

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
nope not government employees.. if the airlines need to protect their propery and the lives of the passengers .. they foot the bill not the taxpayer.

Really. So the airlines are going to hire security and not add it to the ticket price? Who will foot the bill?

wingrider
04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Really. So the airlines are going to hire security and not add it to the ticket price? Who will foot the bill? the people buying tickets .. that is how the free market system works..

Peter1469
04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
the people buying tickets .. that is how the free market system works..

So you change your position. The airlines don't pick up the cost. That is what I thought you meant in the beginning.

wingrider
04-22-2012, 09:50 AM
So you change your position. The airlines don't pick up the cost. That is what I thought you meant in the beginning.
yes the airlines pick up the cost.. look .. you got 87 K flights a day with approx 200 passengers per flight on average, if they added 1 or 2 dollars per ticket price they can cover those costs easily and customers aren't being gouged, but if the feds pick up the tab all it will do is add to the debt.. We cannot as a nation afford that, and besides that why should non flyers have to pay for a flyers safety, it is their choice to fly , they pay for it.