PDA

View Full Version : Rails to Trails

Heyduke
07-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, it's been fun returning the forum. I'm hitting the road again tomorrow, and the guy I work for is forcing me to take one of his iPhones, but I'll be away from the internet for the next 10 days, for all intents and purposes. I need the phone to take pictures and swipe credit cards with the Square app.

I'm going feral. My truck is for sale. I'll sell my house in two years. At that point I'll be completely off the grid, with no bank account or anything. I won't exist, as far as the government is concerned.

On September 1st (hopefully my truck will be sold by then) I'm walking from Santa Cruz to Arcata, a distance of 350 miles. I'll be pioneering an alternative to the Pacific Coast Trail, which isn't at all coastal. I'm into the simple movement, the tiny movement, the anti-consumer movement, and the movement to convert Califonia's abandoned railroad tracks to hiking/biking trails.

So, I've been training. I've been walking like 20 miles every other day, up and down hills. But, when I set off for the real trek, it'll be like 25 miles a day for about two weeks. The real challenge for me in August is just to toughen up my feet, so they won't blister.

Eh, maybe I'll blog the journey to the internet, but maybe I'll just do it in the dark with no phone. I haven't decided. The killer part is going to be following the deteriorating tracks along the Eel River, which departs from all civilization between Willits and Fortuna. But, going north to south, I can always float the river around collapsed railroad tunnels.

donttread
07-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Well, it's been fun returning the forum. I'm hitting the road again tomorrow, and the guy I work for is forcing me to take one of his iPhones, but I'll be away from the internet for the next 10 days, for all intents and purposes. I need the phone to take pictures and swipe credit cards with the Square app.

I'm going feral. My truck is for sale. I'll sell my house in two years. At that point I'll be completely off the grid, with no bank account or anything. I won't exist, as far as the government is concerned.

On September 1st (hopefully my truck will be sold by then) I'm walking from Santa Cruz to Arcata, a distance of 350 miles. I'll be pioneering an alternative to the Pacific Coast Trail, which isn't at all coastal. I'm into the simple movement, the tiny movement, the anti-consumer movement, and the movement to convert Califonia's abandoned railroad tracks to hiking/biking trails.

So, I've been training. I've been walking like 20 miles every other day, up and down hills. But, when I set off for the real trek, it'll be like 25 miles a day for about two weeks. The real challenge for me in August is just to toughen up my feet, so they won't blister.

Eh, maybe I'll blog the journey to the internet, but maybe I'll just do it in the dark with no phone. I haven't decided. The killer part is going to be following the deteriorating tracks along the Eel River, which departs from all civilization between Willits and Fortuna. But, going north to south, I can always float the river around collapsed railroad tunnels.

I applaud you for taking action for what you believe. I'm a fan of more railroad freight hauling however

Peter1469
07-31-2014, 07:40 AM
I applaud you for taking action for what you believe. I'm a fan of more railroad freight hauling however

I think Cali has plenty of rail lines - they just also have lots that have been abandoned because of over kill prior to regulation.

Polecat
07-31-2014, 08:14 AM
The life of a Hobo has its appeal. Used to be easier though. You could ride the rail instead of walk it.

donttread
08-01-2014, 05:58 PM
The life of a Hobo has its appeal. Used to be easier though. You could ride the rail instead of walk it.

You can always thumb it. Maybe the Swedish bikini team will pick you up. Oh, wait that's my dream

SleeperCell
08-07-2014, 12:21 PM

I sure hope you will post pictures and blog about your adventure

I hiked parts of the Appalachian trail and it was an adventure of a life time

donttread
08-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I sure hope you will post pictures and blog about your adventure

I hiked parts of the Appalachian trail and it was an adventure of a life time

Did you ever read "A walk for sunshine" . It's about a guy who through hiked the AT to raise money for the care home where his disabled brother lived. It was inspiring

Peter1469
08-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464) is hilarious. I couldn't put it down.

Heyduke
08-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I've been busy with work and partying in Tahoe. 2.5 weeks in Tahoe and I'm finally back at sea level. Santa Cruz is overrated. As Bilbo said, "I want to see mountains, Gandalf, mountains... " There is no better summer than a Tahoe summer.

While I haven't been hiking much, it's okay. I'm attempting to add 10 lbs of fat for my trip, so I'll have energy reserves and won't need to carry much food. I'm on a beer and fried foods diet. I'd like to get up to 202 lbs, ideally, on my 5' 11" frame. I'm lighting out in 10 days time.

Part 1: Santa Cruz to Ben Lomond (@17 miles uphill); this has been my training hike, back and forth. Going north, I've incorporated the trails of Henry Cowell State Park, the abandoned Zayante RR tracks, Quail Hollow County park, private property, and zero miles on major commuter roads.

Part 2: Ben Lomond to Skyline (another 17 or 20 miles uphill), via Big Basin Redwoods State Park; it's a climb to acquire the high ridge that divides the Pacific Ocean from Silicon Valley.

Part 3: Castle Rock State Park to Cahill Ridge trail, via all the park trails along Skyline. (@35 miles)

Part 4: Cahill Ridge Trail to S. San Francisco to the Golden Gate Bridge (28 miles). Stay with a friend in SF and take a shower.

Part 5: GG Bridge to Gualala (111 miles); thru the Marin Headlands trails, Muir Woods State Park trails, Mt Tamalpais State Park trails, Samuel P Taylor State Park trails, Hwy 1 and backroads, King Ridge Road, Tin Barn Road, Miller Ridge dirt road, and the trail along the South Fork of the Gualala River.

Part 6: Gualala to Usal Creek (94 miles); Sleeping on the beach along the remote North Coast.

Part 7: 70 miles along the only roadless stretch of beach on the Pacific Coast, otherwise known as the Lost Coast Trail. 70 miles of roadless beach. Fukin A! This is where absolute solitude must be overcome in a psionic war for my soul.

Part 8 : Petrolia to Arcata, via Wildcat Ridge (60+ miles). Take a 3 hour shower at my house (but first re-light the hot water heater).

I'm figuring on 24 days. I'll run out of weed after 2 weeks, unless I meet someone generous along the way. Obviously, I won't be carrying much beer, but I'll be able to refuel at various points.

Heyduke
08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
I scrapped the plan of following the tracks along the remote Eel River from Willits to Scotia, because I would have been headed through there at the onset of harvest season, and that might have been too sketch.

Peter1469
08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the update!