PDA

View Full Version : 25 Game Suspension for Raffie Torres

Conley
04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Here's the hit again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAQs8lq6KJ8

Raffi Torres of Phoenix was suspended 25 games by the NHL on Saturday for a late hit in Game 3 of the Western Conference first-round series with Chicago that resulted in Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa being taken off the ice on a stretcher.

The punishment was announced on Saturday morning, a day after Torres had his hearing with the league in New York City.

The Coyotes, with a 3-1 series lead, host the Blackhawks in Game 5 on Saturday night.

Torres appeared to jump into the hit at 11:51 of the first period, lowering his shoulder against the head of Hossa, who no longer had the puck.

The Blackhawks' forward did not play in Game 4, and already was ruled out for Game 5.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7839465/2012-stanley-cup-playoffs-phoenix-coyotes-raffi-torres-suspended-25-games

Personally, I think the suspension was just right.

Conley
04-21-2012, 07:13 PM
No monetary penalty for playoffs, I think.

Depending on how long they last in post season, he could stand to lose app.300-400k next season.

Personally, he should be tossed for next season. He's trying to cause severe damage. Did you the the highlights of his previous penalties?

I read about them but I didn't see videos and don't remember them well. Do you have a link to a good compilation?

Conley
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/raffi-torres-suspended-25-games-putting-marian-hossa-170202850.html

Watched the video...wow. I agree now, season ban. What a POS.

Conley
04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
No doubt. That moron isn't playing hockey. He's headhunting. He WILL kill someone sooner or later

I'm all for good hitting, that makes it exciting but this is way outside of that.

These execs in the NHL and the NFL care mostly about money, so in their terms when it gets to the point that these hits are knocking stars out for the entire playoffs and contributing to a shortened career, their $$$ will keep dropping. It's easy to be a cheap shot artist, but a lot harder to have the skill to make the plays we all want to see.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
This is where hockey stops at garage league material, the entire season is filled with goonery. Star player after star player got creamed and thugs got barely a slap on the wrist. That's always been the mentality with the NHL, it will always be the mentality of the NHL because they cater to the elite WWF-type crowd.

But... it's the playoffs, the nation is watching. Notice how much a different game it is now than the regular season.

Fucking joke.

I still dig hockey tho.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
My opinion on the suspension btw? I don't know this guy but I hear on sports talk that this is something like his 5th suspension.

The NHL promotes this kind of behavior.

MMC
04-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I think the suspension was on target. Torres is a repeat offender. Last year he or the year before he was on another team and did the same thing.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the suspension was on target. Torres is a repeat offender. Last year he or the year before he was on another team and did the same thing.

Yeah, but it was Hossa, so he should get a pass.

HURRRRR!!!!

:laugh:

MMC
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Hawks Down 1-0 in the second period. So their strategy worked. They took out Hossa and he is instrumental with that offense. Yes I think this 2 or 3 times with him and Hossa.

Conley
04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Hawks Down 1-0 in the second period. So their strategy worked. They took out Hossa and he is instrumental with that offense. Yes I think this 2 or 3 times with him and Hossa.

See that just sucks. What's to keep a goon from taking out a skill player every time. The NHL has gone downhill over the last five years or so, IMO.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
See that just sucks. What's to keep a goon from taking out a skill player every time. The NHL has gone downhill over the last five years or so, IMO.

Right, exactly. That's what I was whining about earlier.

The NHL isn't smart enough to consider that people want to see skill players more than they want to see thugs whacking them over the heads with hockey sticks.

Conley
04-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Right, exactly. That's what I was whining about earlier.

The NHL isn't smart enough to consider that people want to see skill players more than they want to see thugs whacking them over the heads with hockey sticks.

Right...and I keep thinking of the NFL in this regard. The NFL has gone too far in the other direction (except for those dirty, dirty Stillers :grin:)...there is some common sense here which seems to be lacking in both leagues.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Right...and I keep thinking of the NFL in this regard. The NFL has gone too far in the other direction (except for those dirty, dirty Stillers :grin:)...there is some common sense here which seems to be lacking in both leagues.

Can't say that now that the dirtiest player in the NFL, Hines Ward retired.

:rollseyes:

Did you see where the NFL is considering eliminating kickoffs?

Goodell's a fucking ass maggot.

Conley
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
It also reminds me of when Pat Riley's Knicks were doing well in the NBA. Then he went to the Heat and it was just muscular guys beating the crap out of each other and every now and then a basket would be made. Any a-hole can lift weights, inject horse testosterone and hit people...skill play is something great to watch.

Conley
04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Can't say that now that the dirtiest player in the NFL, Hines Ward retired.

:rollseyes:

Did you see where the NFL is considering eliminating kickoffs?

Goodell's a fucking ass maggot.

He is such a fucktard. Eliminating kickoffs because of concussions but 18 game schedules will do a body good!

He should just STFU and stick to destroying evidence for his Patriot pal Kraft. I'm certain if that were the Pats and not the Saints the penalties would have been very different.

Captain Obvious
04-21-2012, 10:58 PM
He is such a fucktard. Eliminating kickoffs because of concussions but 18 game schedules will do a body good!

He should just STFU and stick to destroying evidence for his Patriot pal Kraft. I'm certain if that were the Pats and not the Saints the penalties would have been very different.

You know that nobody has witnessed Goodell drinking a glass of water while Kraft takes a piss at the same time?

MMC
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Just look at the Penguins and the Flyers last week. 38 penalty minute all given out in the last few minutes of the game due to all the different fights. Thats what i liked about the European League with like Finns and the Russians. As it was about skill with playing hockey.

Conley
04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Just look at the Penguins and the Flyers last week. 38 penalty minute all given out in the last few minutes of the game due to all the different fights. Thats what i liked about the European League with like Finns and the Russians. As it was about skill with playing hockey.

Yeah I agree...did you see that Finn goal I posted up in the other hockey thread?

MMC
04-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah I agree...did you see that Finn goal I posted up in the other hockey thread?

Yes.....I thought I gave ya a thanks. If i didnt I will. I remember seeing that game. Seems like our guys and Canada always want to fight. While those guys play for perfection.

Conley
04-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Yes.....I thought I gave ya a thanks. If i didnt I will. I remember seeing that game. Seems like our guys and Canada always want to fight. While those guys play for perfection.

No worries bout the thanks, I just wanted to make sure you saw it since it was such a badass move and the skill we've been talking about that we all want to see.

MMC
04-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Yep.....I remember the Russians when they were using the boards to pass and bouncing the puck off other people to pass or shoot from.