PDA

View Full Version : Sexist Bloomberg Gun Control Ad Unintentionally Makes A Case For Gun Ownership

Chris
08-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Shot themselves in the foot.

Sexist Bloomberg Gun Control Ad Unintentionally Makes A Case For Gun Ownership (http://personalliberty.com/sexist-bloomberg-gun-control-ad-unintentionally-makes-case-gun-ownership/)

The latest frightful television ad from Everytown for Gun Safety — the new iteration of Michael Bloomberg’s gun control group — features an angry man bursting through his ex’s door to shoot the mother and haul away their toddler son.

Giving fresh credence to the evergreen saying that, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, the unarmed woman in the video reaches for the phone to call 911. That’s not exactly stopping power, so the guy shoots her anyway — fade to black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUTlECYQIo

That’s obviously not the message Everytown was trying to send when it published the video on Monday. “Tell Senator [fill in the blank]: Stop gun violence against women.”

...“The video by Everytown for Gun Safety is intended to show the dangers of guns in the hands of domestic abusers,” wrote MyFox New York Wednesday, “but the victim, a woman, is seen helpless because she has no gun to protect herself.”

The four female co-hosts of ABC’s daytime talk show “The View” spent some time talking about the ad Tuesday, and, remarkably, three of them walked away from the piece with a different perspective than Everytown intended: “Get a gun in your home!” as co-host Sherri Shepherd put it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgCeqbco4Ak

...YouTube user Dan Troop, commenting on The Washington Free Beacon’s posting of the segment, summed it up nicely: "Looks like Bloomberg ignored an important consideration — women aren’t as dumb as he thinks they are. This PSA will, if anything, convince women that the only protection and defense they can count on is self-protection and self-defense and that the best tool for that job is a firearm."

Adelaide
08-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Truthfully, I think it makes a stronger case for reform when it comes to domestic abuse and stalking laws and how they're enforced. Unfortunately, people will cover up what their spouse is doing or the police won't be able to do anything until it reaches a certain point. And even more unfortunately, many states have been decreasing the amount of funding they put toward centres for domestic abuse and sexual assault. I don't think the answer is gun control but I also don't think arming yourself is as effective as some people would like to think.

That said, I know of local situations where it took police a ridiculous amount of time to get to the scene of a domestic. Plus, the police force is understaffed. The only police in my large city area that ride with a partner are the domestic assault units and I think there are two of them for the whole city. A cop isn't going to deal with a domestic assault/dispute situation alone because they can't know what weapons are in the home. They either wait for back-up or one of the units specifically for that situation.

Peter1469
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
The problem is that guns in the hands of the untrained are almost useless. Sure, you can scare away some perps by just presenting the gun. But that does not always work. Especially in a domestic violence situation where the perpetrator is use to getting his way.

Anyway, typically, waiting for the police is only good for the report write up.

texan
08-01-2014, 08:02 PM
What dumbass's!

Yeah I wish I didn't have a gun for that situation to stop the guy that is gonna have the gun regardless of the laws you write. Like my DEA buddy told me years ago before Texas voted on the law: "It isn't you we am worried having guns, the guys we all deal with have them regardless."

Case closed.

donttread
08-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Truthfully, I think it makes a stronger case for reform when it comes to domestic abuse and stalking laws and how they're enforced. Unfortunately, people will cover up what their spouse is doing or the police won't be able to do anything until it reaches a certain point. And even more unfortunately, many states have been decreasing the amount of funding they put toward centres for domestic abuse and sexual assault. I don't think the answer is gun control but I also don't think arming yourself is as effective as some people would like to think.

That said, I know of local situations where it took police a ridiculous amount of time to get to the scene of a domestic. Plus, the police force is understaffed. The only police in my large city area that ride with a partner are the domestic assault units and I think there are two of them for the whole city. A cop isn't going to deal with a domestic assault/dispute situation alone because they can't know what weapons are in the home. They either wait for back-up or one of the units specifically for that situation.

You can't really address abuse without the abused on board, it just doesn't work