PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater cafe faces heat for adding 'minimum wage fee' to tab

Captain Obvious
08-07-2014, 10:41 AM
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/270235821.html

A small cafe in Stillwater (http://www.startribune.com/topics/places/stillwater.html) has thrown itself into the big battle over Minnesota’s minimum wage increases, inundating the cafe with dozens of phone calls and online comments this week after it tacked on a 35-cent fee to meal tabs.

Oasis Cafe owner Craig Beemer said the fee is needed to offset the 75-cent wage hike that took effect Aug. 1, the first time Minnesota’s minimum wage has increased in a decade. Even with only half a dozen servers, Beemer says it will cost him $10,000 more a year to pay servers $8 an hour instead of the federal rate of $7.25 an hour. Instead of adding it on to food prices, he added the “minimum wage fee” — the only restaurant known to do so in Minnesota so far.

Private Pickle
08-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Well I for one won't be going there...

Peter1469
08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Minimum wages increase the cost of doing business. That means customers pay more. The only novel thing is that this business is not hiding the increase.

Captain Obvious
08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Minimum wages increase the cost of doing business. That means customers pay more. The only novel thing is that this business is not hiding the increase.

Agreed.

What I was wondering though, I wonder how many people look at that and subliminally deduct it from the tip.

Peter1469
08-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Agreed.

What I was wondering though, I wonder how many people look at that and subliminally deduct it from the tip.

If I realized why they were doing it I wouldn't.

Professor Peabody
08-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Why not just add a 1% - 3% tip collection fee to the waiters and waitresses for collecting tips paid by credit or debit card? Credit card processing isn't free for the business owner. When a tip is collected via credit card, the owner pay on that in the form of higher credit card processing fees as what's paid is based on the amount of the purchase.

Ravens Fan
08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Why not just add a 1% - 3% tip collection fee to the waiters and waitresses for collecting tips paid by credit or debit card? Credit card processing isn't free for the business owner. When a tip is collected via credit card, the owner pay on that in the form of higher credit card processing fees as what's paid is based on the amount of the purchase.

Because then, the average customer would think that the minimum wage increase really had not affected them. This way, there is no denying the consequences, and direct cost to the consumer.

1751_Texan
08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Minimum wage in Texas for food servers is 2.13 an hour. I did not know food servers in other states were making 7.25+

No wonder people don't like to tip.

The Sage of Main Street
08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/270235821.html That little parasite has no right to determine how much money he can gouge out of his workers and the customers. He's a lazy pig and the workers ought to mutiny and run the business themselves. He forfeits his property because he demands too much reward.

The Sage of Main Street
08-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Minimum wages increase the cost of doing business. That means customers pay more. The only novel thing is that this business is not hiding the increase. No, it means the fatcat parasite has to cough up some of the profits he stole from the workers, who actually produced them.

Ravens Fan
08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
That little parasite has no right to determine how much money he can gouge out of his workers and the customers. He's a lazy pig and the workers ought to mutiny and run the business themselves. He forfeits his property because he demands too much reward.

He owns the business. He gets to decide the prices and the wages. If you don't like it, don't eat there and don't work there. If he is really that off base, the market will shut him down for you.

Professor Peabody
08-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Because then, the average customer would think that the minimum wage increase really had not affected them. This way, there is no denying the consequences, and direct cost to the consumer.

They'll simply go elsewhere.

Ravens Fan
08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
They'll simply go elsewhere.

That is their choice. But there is no escaping that the costs will trickle down to the consumer, rather hidden or not.

Professor Peabody
08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
That is their choice. But there is no escaping that the costs will trickle down to the consumer, rather hidden or not.

I understand standing up for principals, but if I owned that business, that's what I'd do. That business is his livelyhood, punishing his customers for the rise in minimum wage would only be harming himself. Charging his employees a tip collection fee would show employees who no doubt supported the minimum wage increase, that they weren't paying the employer expense for collecting their tips FOR them.

Peter1469
08-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Kill the owners. Put the workers out of work. That is fairness.

That little parasite has no right to determine how much money he can gouge out of his workers and the customers. He's a lazy pig and the workers ought to mutiny and run the business themselves. He forfeits his property because he demands too much reward.

Peter1469
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
They'll simply go elsewhere. Where? To places that refuse to raise the minimum wage?

Ravens Fan
08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
I understand standing up for principals, but if I owned that business, that's what I'd do. That business is his livelyhood, punishing his customers for the rise in minimum wage would only be harming himself. Charging his employees a tip collection fee would show employees who no doubt supported the minimum wage increase, that they weren't paying the employer expense for collecting their tips FOR them.

No doubt there are many ways to recoup that money without the customer linking it to the minimum wage increase. This way he is being completely open and honest about it. I see no problem.

I'm not following the last part of what you said though. Tip collection fees?

Blackrook
08-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Every restaurant owner in Minnesota is increasing prices because of the increase in the minimum wage. This guy is the only one being honest about it. I say, good for him.

Peter1469
08-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Voters should accept the consequences of their votes. Even if it hurts.

Blackrook
08-07-2014, 08:18 PM
On an airplane ticket all the government imposed fees and taxes are listed in detail so that you know exactly why you're paying so much for your ticket. Perhaps other industries should follow suit.

Professor Peabody
08-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Where? To places that refuse to raise the minimum wage? One's who don't overtly announce the price increase and why.

Dr. Who
08-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Wow. You have to be pretty messed up to begrudge 35 cents to your fellow man for a better standard of living and yet think it is worth $3.00 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Thirty-five cents is like what falls out of your pocket into the sofa only to be reclaimed when you vacuum under the cushions. Meh.

Ethereal
08-07-2014, 11:04 PM

That "little parasite" is a worker, too, and the only reason his employees have a job in the first place.

1751_Texan
08-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Restaurants raise prices all the time. The cost of everything goes up. Here in Texas, restaurants place notices of rate increases due to higher beef prices. Restaurants used to place a glass of water on the table as you sat down...that practice is all but done.

What folks are finding funky is that he chose to highlight minimum wage. I'm sure he doesn't chronicle increases in utilities or food products on the bills.

1751_Texan
08-08-2014, 05:39 AM
That "little parasite" is a worker, too, and the only reason his employees have a job in the first place.

Funny how that works...both parasites need one another. The Host is the consumer.

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2014, 10:44 AM
He owns the business. He gets to decide the prices and the wages. If you don't like it, don't eat there and don't work there. We don't have to submit to the demands of the rich nor recognize their excessive rights of ownership. Your worshipful fantasies about these wizards belong in the playpen. You want to isolate us so that it is man against millionaire. The overwhelming brainwashing power of the rich trash turns most people into wimps who will do nothing about the wages and prices the united plutocracy arbitrarily imposes on us.

The only market force is force. If people were free, the power of numbers would defeat the power of money. Americans have only themselves to blame for putting up with your nonsense theories about who should have absolute authority.

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2014, 10:48 AM
They'll simply go elsewhere. All the fatcats have the same attitude about how much they should charge. They know that price wars hurt both them and their fellow Country Club members. The only competition is about who can gouge us the most.

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I understand standing up for principles, but if I owned that business, that's what I'd do. . Fantasizing about being a Big Shot doesn't make you one. It's as pathetic as a pot-bellied couch potato fantasizing about being the defensive end he watches sack the other team's quarterback.

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Kill the owners. Put the workers out of work. That is fairness. Owners just collect money; they are the private-sector's version of the tax collector. Most experienced employees can run the business themselves.

The Sage of Main Street
08-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Voters should accept the consequences of their votes. Even if it hurts. But the bosses don't have to accept the consequences of being outvoted? They don't have to take a cut in the profits they pay themselves?

Professor Peabody
08-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Fantasizing about being a Big Shot doesn't make you one. It's as pathetic as a pot-bellied couch potato fantasizing about being the defensive end he watches sack the other team's quarterback.

I feel bad for your situation, how long have you been fantasizing about being a Big Shot?