PDA

View Full Version : If you were elected as President...

Adelaide
08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious; if you were elected as President of the United States, what is the first action you'd take in terms of reversing/revoking existing legislation, (ex. Obama reversing Bush's funding policy on embryonic stem cell research) or creating legislation through executive orders/power?

Matty
08-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, obama's executives are not legislation. So, the first thing I would do is annul all of his executive orders.

donttread
08-09-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm just curious; if you were elected as President of the United States, what is the first action you'd take in terms of reversing/revoking existing legislation, (ex. Obama reversing Bush's funding policy on embryonic stem cell research) or creating legislation through executive orders/power?

To the extent I could do so I would set about limiting federal power in every way possible.

Captain Obvious
08-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Go golfing

PolWatch
08-09-2014, 03:59 PM
hmm...don't know if its allowed, but: Institute line-item veto. Revoke/repeal all foreign aid, corp welfare & tax exempt status. Dissolve the IRS & restructure. Dissolve HEW & restructure. Lock members of both Houses in and tell them they can't leave until they start addressing the problems of the nation.

Mainecoons
08-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't want the job. The system is broken beyond repair. It will need to be reformed from outside.

You don't really think anyone who is elected could or would cut the Federal government by the needed 40 percent or so and return to following the Constitution do you?

You don't really think that the gross corruption of the system by money can be cured by the system itself do you?

I think the country needs to be broken up into several nations in a loose confederation and D.C. bulldozed.

Polecat
08-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Push the button.

birddog
08-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Seal the borders with fences and deadly force. In addition to that, get rid of Obama's illegal EOs.

Bob
08-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Funny how well that worked out. To date, embryonic cell research has produced exactly nothing worth having.

Bob
08-09-2014, 05:22 PM
hmm...don't know if its allowed, but: Institute line-item veto. Revoke/repeal all foreign aid, corp welfare & tax exempt status. Dissolve the IRS & restructure. Dissolve HEW & restructure. Lock members of both Houses in and tell them they can't leave until they start addressing the problems of the nation.

It is not legal.

PolWatch
08-09-2014, 05:43 PM
It is not legal.

if I were elected president...anything is possible

Captain Obvious
08-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Push the button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfj0sRiEqx4

PolWatch
08-09-2014, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Bob;718986]Funny how well that worked out. To date, embryonic cell research has produced exactly nothing worth having.[/QU

age related macular degeneration is showing promise...among other things....blocks to the research has slowed things down.

Stoney
08-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I've often thought that it would be fun if all legislation automatically expired in five years unless renewed by congress and the president. That would keep congress so busy they wouldn't have time to be stupid.

Chris
08-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I'd issue an executive order rescinding every previous executive order. Blind faith, call it. :-P

Peter1469
08-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about what has been. I would advocate for us to return to our better nature. We created a government that was timeless. A city on the hill for others to follow.

I would engage the people to push the Congress to pass legislation that benefits Americans. I would encourage governors to take action at the state level to address local issues.

I would tell our enemies abroad that they will be countered with all means at our disposal.

I would also tell out allies that we are not their defense unless they pay for it.

Tariffs on unfair trade. Bring manufacturing back home. I would act to make the US great again.

Captain Obvious
08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about what has been. I would advocate for us to return to our better nature. We created a government that was timeless. A city on the hill for others to follow.

I would engage the people to push the Congress to pass legislation that benefits Americans. I would encourage governors to take action at the state level to address local issues.

I would tell our enemies abroad that they will be countered with all means at our disposal.

I would also tell out allies that we are not their defense unless they pay for it.

Tariffs on unfair trade. Bring manufacturing back home. I would act to make the US great again.

And Congress would stifle you.

Hispanic welfare queen want's a free phone, you're ideas are meaningless.

Peter1469
08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
True. My only recourse would be to appeal to citizens directly.

In our system of separation of powers that is how leaders lead.

Stoney
08-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Ah yes...do for the people.

Peter1469
08-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Ah yes...do for the people.

You wouldn't do it for the people?

darroll
08-09-2014, 08:06 PM
No promises....................... Actions that are legal.

Stoney
08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
You wouldn't do it for the people?

I can't think of anything authorized by the Constitution for the federal government that would fall in that category unless you consider national security. There might be something else. But at least most of the time that phrase is used by politicians it means do for some at the expense of others.

So no. I would fulfill the requirements of national security, for the people, and not a great deal more.

Peter1469
08-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I think you are confused.

I only advocated talking. Not enacting EOs .... Pay attention next time.

I can't think of anything authorized by the Constitution for the federal government that would fall in that category unless you consider national security. There might be something else. But at least most of the time that phrase is used by politicians it means do for some at the expense of others.

So no. I would fulfill the requirements of national security, for the people, and not a great deal more.

Stoney
08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
I think you are confused.

I only advocated talking. Not enacting EOs .... Pay attention next time.

Of course I have no idea what you're talking about and obviously neither do you. It's Saturday night. Are we partying?

Peter1469
08-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Of course I have no idea what you're talking about and obviously neither do you. It's Saturday night. Are we partying?

Not me. No parties for me. :sad:

donttread
08-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Since EO's seem to be able to circumvent the Constitution, I would write one to repeal the 16th