PDA

View Full Version : Right-Wing Moron of the Week: Governor Rick Scott

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Gov. Rick Scott Celebrates Sexual Assault Awareness Month By Cutting Aid For Rape Crisis Centers (http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/fl-gov-rick-scott-celebrates-sexual-a)

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) shocked the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence this week when he vetoed $1.5 million in funding for 30 rape crisis centers in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. State lawmakers allotted the money to offset an increase in need and a lack of sufficient funding for victim services.

A spokesperson for Scott said he vetoed that particular line item in the state budget because the state already funds sexual violence programs, and nobody was able to make it clear to him why rape crisis centers needed the new funding.

enlarge (http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/rick-scott.jpg)
http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/thumbs/rick-scott.jpg (http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/rick-scott.jpg)

"Governor Scott approved funding for many projects that have statewide impact and do not duplicate programs already funded by the state," Lane Wright, Scott's press secretary, told HuffPost. "This new funding of $1.5 million would have been duplicative, since, as a state, we already fund sexual violence programs. There was no information suggesting any needs in this area weren’t already being met. The state already provides about $6.5 million for rape prevention and sexual assault services. That is in addition to the funds available for domestic violence programs -- $29 million to be specific. Many victims of sexual violence seek refuge at domestic violence shelters."

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/fl-gov-rick-scott-celebrates-sexual-a

keyser soze
04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I guess he didn't get any benefit from it eh? What a moron.

OFBUACMKA
04-24-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.truthaboutrickscott.com/

Rick Scott is campaigning to hold Florida’s government accountable to the taxpayers. He believes in accountability and holds himself to the same standards he expects of others. Predictably, Obama liberal Alex Sink is now attacking Rick Scott . This site has been established by the Rick Scott for Governor campaign to answer those attacks.

Kind of "Podesta-ish" I know, but one good turn deserves another.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I guess he didn't get any benefit from it eh? What a moron.

I used to laugh at all the Florida stupidity jokes, but I'm really starting to believe it now. There must be lead in the drinking water there. The collective thinking in government and its residents by and large reflects stupidity, over and over again.

OFBUACMKA
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I used to laugh at all the Florida stupidity jokes, but I'm really starting to believe it now. There must be lead in the drinking water there. The collective thinking in government and its residents by and large reflects stupidity, over and over again.

So you think the entire state is stupid? :roflmao:

Captain Obvious
04-24-2012, 06:20 PM
This guy is a moron to liberal idiots who dislike conservatives.

From what I can see, the guy did his job. Liberal idiots think that gubmints are an eternal source of funding which of course rational people know this is not the case. Something needs cut to balance a budget and no matter what you cut, someone is gong to shit the bed and throw eggs at you.

I think it takes a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to endure this kind of irrational mud slinging and when guys like this step up and make difficult decisions, I admire that because it's leadership. The alternative would be to have some liberal asswipe in there who would run a budget deficit to the point where the state is on the brink of bankruptcy - probably just until the end of his term so as not to deal with a difficult situation.

I really don't have a problem with liberals per se, but it's the dumbfucks of the crew that give them a bad name. Same goes for the conservative camp also as far as I'm concerned.

Non-issue, case closed.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Non-issue, case closed.

No it isn't.

Stoney
04-24-2012, 06:39 PM
He may well be a moron. But I haven't seen any evidence provided to that effect. Certainly everyone will agree that if Rape Crisis is adequately housed and funded that he made the right decision.

Captain Obvious
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
He may well be a moron. But I haven't seen any evidence provided to that effect. Certainly everyone will agree that if Rape Crisis is adequately housed and funded that he made the right decision.

Exactly.

There is nothing in the OP that suggests that he didn't act appropriately.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Exactly.

There is nothing in the OP that suggests that he didn't act appropriately.

That's because you didn't read the story at the link. Only an excerpt is posted per the rules here.

Stoney
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
I read your article and then spent a few minutes looking for local news coverage. I found this:

Below is a complete list of the local centers and their needs:

Bradenton: Manatee Glens Rape Crisis (Serving Manatee County)

New/newer office furniture for clients to sit on (current furniture is over 15+ years old and was used even then)

Decor/paint for offices/staff break room

Coffee pot for clients and staff (supply of coffee and or hot cocoa)

Be able to purchase shirts (uniformed) for Victim Advocate (especially in call out situations) so they are easily identifiable (more official for victims to see)

New curtains in lobby, ones that fit and don’t break due to not being the correct size.

http://www.thebradentontimes.com/news/2012/04/23/community/statewide_push_to_help_sexual_assault_treatment_ce nters_as_scott_cuts_funding/

It seems private individuals are trying to help.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I read your article and then spent a few minutes looking for local news coverage. I found this:

http://www.thebradentontimes.com/news/2012/04/23/community/statewide_push_to_help_sexual_assault_treatment_ce nters_as_scott_cuts_funding/

It seems private individuals are trying to help.

That's good...

Captain Obvious
04-24-2012, 07:47 PM
That's because you didn't read the story at the link. Only an excerpt is posted per the rules here.

And you would be wrong again as usual.

Also, I'm sure a website called "crooks and liars" is completely capable of publishing a story without a grain of bias.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
And you would be wrong again as usual.

Also, I'm sure a website called "crooks and liars" is completely capable of publishing a story without a grain of bias.

Bias is never the problem. Omission and/or distortion of the facts is. I don't see you refuting anything, just offering up an opinion. You know what they say about opinions...

Vilifier of Zombies
04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Gov. Rick Scott Celebrates Sexual Assault Awareness Month By Cutting Aid For Rape Crisis Centers (http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/fl-gov-rick-scott-celebrates-sexual-a)

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) shocked the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence this week when he vetoed $1.5 million in funding for 30 rape crisis centers in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. State lawmakers allotted the money to offset an increase in need and a lack of sufficient funding for victim services.

A spokesperson for Scott said he vetoed that particular line item in the state budget because the state already funds sexual violence programs, and nobody was able to make it clear to him why rape crisis centers needed the new funding.

enlarge (http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/rick-scott.jpg)
http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/thumbs/rick-scott.jpg (http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2012/04/rick-scott.jpg)

"Governor Scott approved funding for many projects that have statewide impact and do not duplicate programs already funded by the state," Lane Wright, Scott's press secretary, told HuffPost. "This new funding of $1.5 million would have been duplicative, since, as a state, we already fund sexual violence programs. There was no information suggesting any needs in this area weren’t already being met. The state already provides about $6.5 million for rape prevention and sexual assault services. That is in addition to the funds available for domestic violence programs -- $29 million to be specific. Many victims of sexual violence seek refuge at domestic violence shelters."

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/fl-gov-rick-scott-celebrates-sexual-a

6.5 million bucks already allocated for rape prevention? WTF is wrong with the state of Florida that it'd have to spend six and a half million clams on rape prevention in the first place?

Are we talking about a "Don't Rape" awareness campaign going on in the state of Florida?

That's where we're at as a society right now, we're spending millions on top of millions on rape prevention in Florida while across the globe kids are dying from malnourishment...

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
6.5 million bucks already allocated for rape prevention? WTF is wrong with the state of Florida that it'd have to spend six and a half million clams on rape prevention in the first place?

Are we talking about a "Don't Rape" awareness campaign going on in the state of Florida?

That's where we're at as a society right now, we're spending millions on top of millions on rape prevention in Florida while across the globe kids are dying from malnourishment...

Okay, that's valid.

He's still a dumb fuck. :grin:

roadmaster
04-24-2012, 08:14 PM
That is in addition to the funds available for domestic violence programs -- $29 million to be specific. Many victims of sexual violence seek refuge at domestic violence shelters."

Actually I am against him cutting funds. There are not enough domestic violence shelters and maybe the awareness should be transferred to more shelters. Many shelters are full and have a waiting list.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Actually I am against him cutting funds. There are not enough domestic violence shelters and maybe the awareness should be transferred to more shelters. Many shelters are full and have a waiting list.

That long waiting list and many as-yet-unmet needs are the reason his cutting funds is asinine.

Vilifier of Zombies
04-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Okay, that's valid.

That's a whole lot of taxpayer dough...

I could cut that cost in half easily - purchase a cool millions worth of Saltpeter pharmaceutical stocks - another million lobbying for tougher sentencing to include the death penalty and or castration for serial rapists - and another million to the state police to oversee that rape cases are being handled efficiently and proficiently [taken seriously]....and a quarter mil going to my end for services rendered.

I don't know anything about the man - it's Florida, I don't pay attention to Florida much less the politics or politicians from that state.

roadmaster
04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
That long waiting list and many as-yet-unmet needs are the reason his cutting funds is asinine.

Well we agree on something. The police won't get involved until the woman is harmed or dead. He should not be cutting funds.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
That's a whole lot of taxpayer dough...

I could cut that cost in half easily - purchase a cool millions worth of Saltpeter pharmaceutical stocks - another million lobbying for tougher sentencing to include the death penalty and or castration for serial rapists - and another million to the state police to oversee that rape cases are being handled efficiently and proficiently [taken seriously]....and a quarter mil going to my end for services rendered.

I don't know anything about the man - it's Florida, I don't pay attention to Florida much less the politics or politicians from that state.

Oh, yes - there are myriad 'alternatives' for dealing with the problem of rapists. :)

Florida's a stupid state. They demonstrate their stupidity over and over. I feel bad for the smart people who live there but they're obviously in the minority since their politics and laws reflect just the opposite.

dadakarma
04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Well we agree on something. The police won't get involved until the woman is harmed or dead. He should not be cutting funds.

I'm marking this milestone down. :)

OFBUACMKA
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Bias is never the problem. Omission and/or distortion of the facts is. I don't see you refuting anything, just offering up an opinion. You know what they say about opinions...

Once again, no substance, no consistency, just vitriole. In one post, she says "You know what they say about opinions"; and in the next, she offers her own. She even goes so far as to label an ENTIRE STATE "stupid" because they don't represent her leftist views.

One has to wonder who the "dumb fuck" really is.

Mainecoons
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
He's still a dumb fuck.

This from the individual who was complaining about the level of political discourse.

:grin:

OFBUACMKA
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Okay, that's valid.

This from the individual who was complaining about the level of political discourse.

Rules/Standards/Consistency don't apply to her. Haven't you heard? :sarcasm:

annata
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh, yes - there are myriad 'alternatives' for dealing with the problem of rapists. :)

Florida's a stupid state. They demonstrate their stupidity over and over. I feel bad for the smart people who live there but they're obviously in the minority since their politics and laws reflect just the opposite.
"Don't cry for me Argentina" -the state is diverse, it's southern, it's huge, it's weird. It also elected Obama ( with Ohio).
it's not easy to pigeonhole, most out of state just hear the crazy stuff.
Crl Hiaasen amd Tim Dorsey , and Dave Barry make a living writing books about the weirdness.

It's cheap living, for us poor folks, and the state itself is so beautiful - the wildlife is incredible.

I could do without the Repub. NUT legilsatots, or Scott; but they'll pass. Meanwhile it works for me, nothing like the beaches, only an hour away -and i'm in the middle of the state.
Plus we don't have 9.25% sales tax, or carry debt, like CA. No income tax either.

While I LOVE CA, and a lot a great things come from there, the state is a fiscal disaster. I sell online ( operator calls), many states don't charge internet sales tax -CA is up there with Canada - but at least Canadian GST funds HC.

Anyways I avoid "regionalism" like the plague,

Conley
04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I hear you about Florida - very, very diverse in about every category. California is definitely a financial mess these days, but I still love it here.

annata
04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I hear you about Florida - very, very diverse in about every category. California is definitely a financial mess these days, but I still love it here.
I moved here from the oppressive taxes of Maryland ( just in time for the "hanging chads"). I simply could not afford to live threre anymore. Plus my family was slowly migrating down here - i'm single, so there was noreason to stay.
( my income is ...well it's a good thing i don't measure my worth by material goods).

I'd love to live in CA. It's beyond my means. At least i'm not in Az! :grin:. Life is what you make of it, and Fla has been fun.

I'm glad I didn't grow up here,,,the schools in Maryland are superior, but "God's waiting room" ( Fl) works for me now.
And we all live in the moment -no?

Conley
04-25-2012, 09:25 AM
No doubt about it, we can't be anywhere other than where we are, so we might as well enjoy it!

dadakarma
04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
"Don't cry for me Argentina" -the state is diverse, it's southern, it's huge, it's weird. It also elected Obama ( with Ohio).
it's not easy to pigeonhole, most out of state just hear the crazy stuff.
Crl Hiaasen amd Tim Dorsey , and Dave Barry make a living writing books about the weirdness.

It's cheap living, for us poor folks, and the state itself is so beautiful - the wildlife is incredible.

I could do without the Repub. NUT legilsatots, or Scott; but they'll pass. Meanwhile it works for me, nothing like the beaches, only an hour away -and i'm in the middle of the state.
Plus we don't have 9.25% sales tax, or carry debt, like CA. No income tax either.

While I LOVE CA, and a lot a great things come from there, the state is a fiscal disaster. I sell online ( operator calls), many states don't charge internet sales tax -CA is up there with Canada - but at least Canadian GST funds HC.

Anyways I avoid "regionalism" like the plague,

Obviously you're an exception. There always is. And yes, it's beautiful there. Too bad about the other stuff, though.

OFBUACMKA
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
How do you feel about California?

Captain Obvious
04-25-2012, 07:45 PM
How do you feel about California?

California's alright.

Somebody check my brain.

Conley
04-25-2012, 09:08 PM

OFBUACMKA