PDA

View Full Version : 31 American Special OPs Troops Killed.....

MMC
08-06-2011, 11:09 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/afghan-president-31-americans-killed-crash-093236195.html
AP – 1 hr 35 mins ago.....

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province killed 31 U.S. special operation troops and seven Afghan soldiers, the country's president said Saturday. It was the highest number of American casualties recorded in a single incident in the decade-long war.

"A NATO helicopter crashed last night in Wardak province," Karzai said in the statement, adding that 31 American special operations troops were killed. "President Karzai expressed his deep condolences because of this incident and expressed his sympathy to Barack Obama."

The Taliban claimed to have brought the helicopter down with a rocket attack, but they have been known to make exaggerated claims in the past.

NATO confirmed the overnight crash and said there "was enemy activity in the area." But it said it was still investigating the cause. The alliance was conducting a recovery operation at the site, it said, without releasing details or a casualty figure.....snip~

The Taliban have said they shot the helicopter down. Spokesman for the Taliban validates the engagement and the ensuing reasons as to what took place. NATO states they validate the crash and the death of 31 US Soldiers. Also they validate the engagement.
There have been 17 crashes with aircraft, and this marks the incident with the largest loss of life since the War began. NATO states on friday another Troop had died elsewhere and the same on Saturday. But they have not released any information.

The engagement was with a house that had 8 Taliban members taking on the US Forces. Once again they state civillians were killed in the process. Seems The Taliban were quick to take responsiblity yet Karzai and the US didnt want to confirm such. Either way we lost 31 Troops that were Special Operations Troops.

RIP my brothers.....YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN! http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/GHGecko/ANI_GIFs/BUs/Smiley_BU_Sign_Salute_A_Vet.gif

Conley
08-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Pisses me off that our best and brightest are being used as cannon fodder in this pointless exercise, but I will leave politics aside and just add my own agreement that they will be remembered for their sacrifice. Will post the names when they are released.

RIP

MMC
08-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Pisses me off that our best and brightest are being used as cannon fodder in this pointless exercise, but I will leave politics aside and just add my own agreement that they will be remembered for their sacrifice. Will post the names when they are released.

RIP

Thanks CL..... thou I do want to make it clear these were not Special Forces Troops as in Green Berets.

Conley
08-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Ah, I missed that detail. Thanks.

MMC
08-06-2011, 12:41 PM
"Everlast - Letters Home" Military Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9PsV8ings#)
As the Song Says.....I don't want to, But I Will!For my Fallen Brothers.....http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/GHGecko/ANI_GIFs/BUs/Smiley_BU_Sign_Salute_A_Vet.gif

MMC
08-06-2011, 01:10 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -The Associated Press has learned that more than 20 Navy SEALs from the unit that killed Osama bin Laden were among those lost in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan. U.S. officials say they believe that none of those who died in the crash participated in the bin Laden raid but were from the same unit that carried out the bin Laden mission. The operators from SEAL Team Six were flown by a crew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. That's according to one current and one former U.S. official. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified of the loss of their loved ones.

One source says the team was thought to include 22 SEALs, three Air Force air controllers, seven Afghan Army troops, a dog and his handler, and a civilian interpreter, plus the helicopter crew.

Mister D
08-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I heard they were SEALs too from Team 6. SEALs are not considered Special Forces? ???

I didn't realize a helicopter could carry so many men. Almost 40?

MMC
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I heard they were SEALs too from Team 6. SEALs are not considered Special Forces? ???

Well Navy Seals are Special Forces Units.....but the Green Berets are called Special Forces.

Conley
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
It's a shame...I guess since they are ST6 I won't be posting their names, but godspeed to them and their families.

Mister D
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Well Navy Seals are Special Forces Units.....but the Green Berets are called Special Forces.

That's not confusing at all. :-\ ;D

MMC
08-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Yeah go Figure.....I say we just Keep the name the Green Berets. Don't know why they ever changed it anyways. Good News tho the Army has finally got their heads right about all in the Army Wearing Berets. They are now going back to the way it was. Only Rangers and Special Forces Units will be allowed to wear Berets. Anyothers will have to give their up. Including the Unit made by Bilbo. 10th Mountain. No more blue berets for their Asses. Technically they were Ranger Units. All created for bilbos. Presidential Unit.

Mister D
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM

Yeah go Figure.....I say we just Keep the name the Green Berets. Don't know why they ever changed it anyways. Good News tho the Army has finally got their heads right about all in the Army Wearing Berets. They are now going back to the way it was. Only Rangers and Special Forces Units will be allowed to wear Berets. Any others will have to give their up. Including the Unit made by Bilbo. 10th Mountain. No more blue berets for their Asses. Technically they were Ranger Units. All created for bilbos. Presidential Unit.

Those kind of distinctions are important. I understand them. It may sound trivial to some people but not to me. Besides, this ain't France! >:(