PDA

View Full Version : A New Day In Ferguson

Green Arrow
08-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/a-new-day-in-ferguson-110041.html):

FERGUSON, Mo. -- The embattled community of Ferguson embarked on a major experiment in policing on Thursday.

After several days of aggressive and sometimes violent street confrontations featuring heavily armed police wearing riot gear and riding around the St. Louis suburb in military vehicles, Thursday saw an abrupt change of course.

Suddenly, the military hardware and the police in riot gear were gone from West Florissant Street -- the suburban-style main drag that runs through the town and was the epicenter of the confrontations and looting.

They were replaced with a much smaller force of plainclothes police officers under the command of a charismatic State Highway Patrol captain with deep and long-standing ties to the local community.

"I roamed these streets," said Captain Ron Johnson -- the State Highway Patrol officer in charge of the area. "When the media from out of state is gone and when the people from out of this community are gone, Ron Johnson is still going to be here."

The anger in the community sparked by the shooting death of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown by the Ferguson police on Saturday remains. And the protesters aren't going anywhere. But the mood on the street appears markedly different than 24 hours before.

An open question for Ferguson and the police patrolling its streets is whether the military-style operations helped fuel the initial violence -- and whether a softer approach to policing led by the state law enforcement agency can restore a level of trust between community members and law enforcement.

Huh, imagine that. Take away the excessive force of an FAA no fly zone and military-style police with armored humvees and replace them with simple plainclothes officers, and the situation de-escalates on its own with no blood shed.

It's fucking magic, I swear.

GrassrootsConservative
08-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Yet there are some Liberals in America that disagree with you and think expanding the military industrial complex and supporting it with raised taxes is the right thing to do.

Green Arrow
08-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Yet there are some Liberals in America that disagree with you and think expanding the military industrial complex and supporting it with raised taxes is the right thing to do.

It's unfortunate, for sure.

1751_Texan
08-15-2014, 05:01 AM

Man talk about flipping the script.

Peter1469
08-15-2014, 05:02 AM
Go figure. A counter example of the militarization of our police forces.

1751_Texan
08-15-2014, 05:07 AM
It's unfortunate, for sure.
Do you remember what happened when liberals called Reagan a warmonger for ramping up the Defense spending and ramping up the rhetoric against the Soviet Union?

Green Arrow
08-15-2014, 05:13 AM
Do you remember what happened when liberals called Reagan a warmonger for ramping up the Defense spending and ramping up the rhetoric against the Soviet Union?

Yep. Do you hear many liberals complaining about it more military adventurism under Obama?

1751_Texan
08-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Yep. Do you hear many liberals complaining about it more military adventurism under Obama?

Then you should understand why.

Alyosha
08-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/a-new-day-in-ferguson-110041.html):

Huh, imagine that. Take away the excessive force of an FAA no fly zone and military-style police with armored humvees and replace them with simple plainclothes officers, and the situation de-escalates on its own with no blood shed.

It's fucking magic, I swear.

I saw that. It's called genuine caring.

Alyosha
08-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Then you should understand why.

Double standards, yep.

Cigar
08-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Amazing, so someone respect, then you'll get respect.

Something everyone, including this place could learn.

Matty
08-15-2014, 08:13 AM
It turned out just as I suggested the other day. The gov. Put black people in charge. They hugged the looters and burners and things are all better. Black people should police black people and white people should police only white. It's clear to me now and many reports and commentary agree that the two races will never get along. That is sad but it is the truth. We have never been more divided. This town is 70% black. All whites should remove themselves from gov. Positions.

PolWatch
08-15-2014, 08:19 AM
It turned out just as I suggested the other day. The gov. Put black people in charge. They hugged the looters and burners and things are all better. Black people should police black people and white people should police only white. It's clear to me now and many reports and commentary agree that the two races will never get along. That is sad but it is the truth. We have never been more divided. This town is 70% black. All whites should remove themselves from gov. Positions.

separate but equal? sounds familiar....

Matty
08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
separate but equal? sounds familiar....

To what do you refer?

Matty
08-15-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-department-details/14064451/

PolWatch
08-15-2014, 08:25 AM
To what do you refer?

to your suggestion that whites remove themselves from gov positions because of the % of black to white...basically create a black government for black citizens (whites would need the same to represent them separately).

Matty
08-15-2014, 08:30 AM
to your suggestion that whites remove themselves from gov positions because of the % of black to white...basically create a black government for black citizens (whites would need the same to represent them separately).

It's been said about teachers too. That white teachers cannot effectively teach black children, especially the male children. There has been much discussion on the news over the past few days on this subject. The head of the NAACP said it. "Fifty cops 2 black, one black on the city commission, the mayor is white. There is a power disparity don't ya think?

Green Arrow
08-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Let's just ignore the two white officers behind the chief...

The Sage of Main Street
08-15-2014, 04:01 PM

It's fucking magic, I swear. ISIS needs you to help tame the Iraqi army.

Alyosha
08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
ISIS needs you to help tame the Iraqi army.

Are we at war now? Is it the government versus us?