PDA

View Full Version : Missouri GOP Furious Over 'Disgusting' Voter Registration Booths In Ferguson

Cigar
08-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Missouri GOP Furious Over 'Disgusting' Voter Registration Booths In Ferguson

Wouldn't the director of a political party welcome more potential voters? If not, why not?

The head of the Missouri GOP is furious that residents of Ferguson have decided to fix their city's 12 percent voter turnout after a police officer shot and killed unarmed Michael Brown.

The Executive Director of the Missouri Republican Party has labeled an effort by some Ferguson residents to fix its paltry twelve-percent voter participation rate "disgusting." And he seems to defensively insinuate that Blacks vote for Democrats and whites vote for Republicans.

"In an interview with Breitbart News, Missouri RNC executive director Matt Wills expressed outrage about the reports" of voter registration booths popping up in Ferguson, Breitbart reports.

“If that’s not fanning the political flames, I don’t know what is,” Wills said, “I think it’s not only disgusting but completely inappropriate.”

Wills explained that the shooting death of Michael Brown was a tragedy for everyone.

“This is not just a tragedy for the African American community this is a tragedy for the Missouri community as well as the community of what we call America,” he said. “Injecting race into this conversation and into this tragedy, not only is not helpful, but it doesn’t help a continued conversation of justice and peace.”

Wouldn't the director of a political party welcome more potential voters? If not, why not?

MSNBC's Steve Benen answers that question.

"It appears that some on the right find this 'disgusting,' which is a shame. I’m afraid that says more about those raising the complaints than it does those registering citizens to vote."

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/conservatives_furious_voter_registration_booths_ar e_popping_up_in_ferguson

Mainecoons
08-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Registering the dead or illegal again, Dems?

Cigar
08-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Registering the dead or illegal again, Dems?

Evidence or just fear mongering ... :laugh:

PolWatch
08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
“Injecting race into this conversation and into this tragedy, not only is not helpful, but it doesn’t help a continued conversation of justice and peace.”

Just where has this fella had his head for the past few days?

texan
08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Please spare me the bologna about signing up dead voters by democrats. 2 or 3 cities a year in the news regarding this illegal activity. Of course by presenting an ID to vote is somehow intimidating blacks. LOL, I give our black brothers a little more credit than that...............

Codename Section
08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Here is my take. If your only solution is to vote "Democrat" to fix the problem but not run someone yourself you're one lazy mutherfucker because all politicians are the same.

You can only trust yourself and those you personally know and can vouch for.

birddog
08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Most of the troublemakers in Ferguson don't live there, so Voter ID should be required to make sure they are put in the proper precinct. They can erase the ineligible ones later before the next election. Surely, Gov. Nixon is honest and fair enough to see that happens in these special circumstances.

Codename Section
08-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Voting changes nothing.

PolWatch
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I wonder if removing the cops from their military vehicles and going back to the days when cops walked a beat would change things? It would mean more actual contact between the citizens & the cops. Its hard to dehumanize and hate someone that you really see as a person.

Codename Section
08-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I wonder if removing the cops from their military vehicles and going back to the days when cops walked a beat would change things? It would mean more actual contact between the citizens & the cops. Its hard to dehumanize and hate someone that you really see as a person.

DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we shifted to this in Iraq we were able to finally dig AQ out of the cities. Thank you, PolWatch

Mainecoons
08-20-2014, 09:43 AM

You're absolutely right but it is pretty hard to walk a beat in sprawled out American suburbs.

Codename Section
08-20-2014, 09:45 AM
You're absolutely right but it is pretty hard to walk a beat in sprawled out American suburbs.

Park your car and go door to door meeting folks. It's possible. People just don't always want to do it. Where Al lives now the local sheriff signed up for the county fair and allowed himself to be put in the dunking booth.

You don't have to be a dick to enforce the law.

PolWatch
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I know I live in a small, semi-rural town, but nearly every community project I have been involved with had at least one of the local cops working with us....projects from Keep America Beautiful (they helped pick up litter) to the local Historic Society (they helped clean an abandoned black cemetery). It makes a difference when they know the citizens & we know the cops. They could not walk a beat in our area but they are 'encouraged' by the mayor & police chief to become involved in the life of the area.

Cigar
08-20-2014, 11:48 AM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140820-ferguson-community-leaders-say-civic-engagement-is-the-ultimate-answer.jpg

Voter participation in Ferguson, Missouri, has been poor of late, with just 12% turnout in the most recent election. As the Rev. Al Sharpton, host of msnbc’s “Politics Nation,” said at the Greater Grace Church’s during Sunday services, “You all have got to start voting and showing up. 12% turnout is an insult to your children.”

With this in mind, as we discussed yesterday, some in the community have set up a tent in Ferguson to host a voter-registration drive. As one volunteer put it, “We’re trying to make young people understand that this is how to change things.”

When I noted this on Twitter yesterday, I was surprised by conservatives complaining about the voter-registration efforts. Apparently, I wildly underestimated how upset the right would be about this. Breitbart.com (http://breitbart.com/), a prominent far-right website, reported this morning, “Republicans are criticizing efforts by liberal organizers to set up voter registration booths at the site where Missouri teenager Michael Brown was shot and killed by a local police officer.”
In an interview with Breitbart News, Missouri RNC executive director Matt Wills expressed outrage about the reports.

“If that’s not fanning the political flames, I don’t know what is,” Wills said, “I think it’s not only disgusting but completely inappropriate.”
Wills is described by the RNC as the executive director of the Missouri Republican Party.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/missouri-gop-leader-calls-ferguson-voter-registration-drive-disgusting

Codename Section
08-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Telling people to elect different officials shouldn't an issue for anyone. Isn't that how we are supposed to change things in America?

Not that it actually works, mind you...

Mainecoons
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Glad you added that last part. :grin: