PDA

View Full Version : Burger King May Move To Canada

Matty
08-25-2014, 01:15 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/24/news/burger-king-tim-hortons/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

taxed too much in America.

Captain Obvious
08-25-2014, 01:16 PM
They'll have to change their name to "Burger Prime Minister"

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 01:21 PM
easy cure...tell 'em to close their stores & take their whoppers with 'em...no prob

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Canada seems to understand two things about businesses:

1. Businesses don't pay taxes, their customers do.
2. Understanding #1, if you want to have more jobs, have the final beneficiaries of government services pay most of the taxes. And that is individuals.

Individuals pay most of the taxes for the support of the health care system and they are the primary beneficiaries. One of the big pluses for business in Canada besides the lower taxes are that they don't have to get involved in the hassle and expense of health care.

Private Pickle
08-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Meh... I'd rather talk about Nicki Minaj's wardrobe malfunction....

Cigar
08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Food Sucks ... Good Ridden's

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 01:25 PM
We would be a little healthier as a nation if they left completely....all their food contains my 3 favorite ingredients: fat, calories & cholesterol

Cigar
08-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Meh... I'd rather talk about Nicki Minaj's wardrobe malfunction....

Baby Got Back :laugh:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1915533.1408947060!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/454104470.jpg?enlarged
KEVIN MAZUR/MTV1415/WIREIMAGEMinaj struggles to keep her dress on after a wardrobe malfunction.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/minaj-year-miley-vmas-article-1.1915514#ixzz3BQhZM6gc

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
We would be a little healthier as a nation if they left completely....all their food contains my 3 favorite ingredients: fat, calories & cholesterol

Aren't those the three major food groups?

:grin:

Matty
08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
easy cure...tell 'em to close their stores & take their whoppers with 'em...no prob
Too bad, they'll leave their stores, and take their money to Canada. :)

Mr. Right
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Food Sucks ... Good Ridden's

Surely you mean "Riddance".... do you also understand the BK isn't moving all their crappy food holes out of the U.S., just their corporate H.Q.

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Exactly. And take the higher paying HQ jobs with them.

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 01:31 PM

that's why I said to close their stores. We could stop folks from doing this by telling 'em if ya take yer money, etc. out of this nation, why expect to continue to reap the benefits of this nation? We're dumb...we let the companies move offshore but continue to let them peddle their wares here like companies that stay. Ain't right...

Cigar
Surely you mean "Riddance".... do you also understand the BK isn't moving all their crappy food holes out of the U.S., just their corporate H.Q.

I din't care, if I want a good burger, I make it myself

Mr. Right
Baby Got Back :laugh:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1915533.1408947060!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/454104470.jpg?enlarged
KEVIN MAZUR/MTV1415/WIREIMAGE
Minaj struggles to keep her dress on after a wardrobe malfunction.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/minaj-year-miley-vmas-article-1.1915514#ixzz3BQhZM6gc

Baby need talent... anyone can have "back".

Cigar
08-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Baby need talent... anyone can have "back".

So ... how was your weekend in comparison :laugh:

Mr. Right
08-25-2014, 01:42 PM
So ... haw was your weekend in comparison :laugh:

Uh... Boat Race... "Thunder on the Gulf" viewed from the air conditioned wheel house of my yacht. Beer, Bikinis, shrimp, and loud fast boats.

Matty
08-25-2014, 01:53 PM
that's why I said to close their stores. We could stop folks from doing this by telling 'em if ya take yer money, etc. out of this nation, why expect to continue to reap the benefits of this nation? We're dumb...we let the companies move offshore but continue to let them peddle their wares here like companies that stay. Ain't right...
No, what is dumb is having the highest corporate tax rate in the world. What? We remain UN competitive on purpose? Only stupid people do that.

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 02:00 PM

You know the concept of the "canary in the cage" in coal mines, yes?

The canary is an early warning that the air in the mine is becoming foul.

The growing trickle of people and companies leaving America is telling us that we have too much taxation and regulation. When high (personal) tax Canada is seen as a better place to do business, and is scoring higher on international competitiveness surveys, you know you have a problem.

Your "solution" is just the same old punitive, disempowering government oppression that is causing this problem in the first place.

Think on it some more.

Cigar
08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Uh... Boat Race... "Thunder on the Gulf" viewed from the air conditioned wheel house of my yacht. Beer, Bikinis, shrimp, and loud fast boats.

Loud Fast Cars for me ... ---> http://www.autobahncc.com

Golf with Da-Boys ... ---> http://www.whitetailridgegolfclub.com

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/01/news/economy/corporate-tax-rate/index.html): Large, profitable U.S. corporations paid an average effective federal tax rate of 12.6% in 2010, the Government Accountability Office said Monday. The federal corporate tax rate stands at 35%, and jumps to 39.2% when state rates are taken into account. But thanks to things like tax credits (http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/24/news/economy/corporate-tax-breaks/index.html?iid=EL), exemptions and offshore tax havens (http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/news/economy/apple-taxes/index.html?iid=EL), the actual tax burden of American companies is much lower. Even when foreign, state and local taxes were taken into account, the companies paid only 16.9% of their worldwide income in taxes in 2010.

if they actually paid the set rate, it could be the second highest...but the UAE has a higher rate...I checked.

Peter1469
08-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry Canada. If you saw it as an act of war, I wouldn't blame you.....

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 02:20 PM
This is the problem when you apply generalities to specific cases. BK probably can't take advantage of most of those so called loopholes. I expect that would be true of most of those voting with their feet.

Those loopholes also encourage bad economic behavior.

Surely you can see the benefit of a corporate tax rate that is simple and competitive?

keymanjim
08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Sorry Canada. If you saw it as an act of war, I wouldn't blame you.....
They sent us beiber. Fuck 'em.

Peter1469
08-25-2014, 02:23 PM
They sent us beiber. Fuck 'em. So it is war?

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 02:25 PM
I agree...loopholes, etc are the main reason I support a flat tax for everyone...the fair tax would be my second choice. I'm not holding my breath for either. I do believe we should quit allowing companies that move operations out of this nation to continue to benefit from what the rest of us are paying for. Companies that move manufacturing offshore & those who hide their money offshore, don't deserve the same benefits as those who stay...imho.

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 02:29 PM
What benefits are those?

Endless warmongering and the biggest military budget on the planet?
Endless budget deficits that are about to explode?
More regulations than even the last disastrous administration foisted?
Making everyone's savings accounts worthless while you create a market balloon that is benefiting billionaires?
Endless games of golf?
ObamaCare?

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I never said it was perfect! The benefits that we all take for granted like roads, schools, safe water, etc...those things that we don't think about but cost a bunch of $$$

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Roads, schools, water treatment are all local. They'll continue to pay local taxes wherever their stores are located.

If Consumer Reports were honest liberals, they would label the U.S. Federal Government as a "worst buy" and put it on the "don't buy this under any circumstances" banned list.

You're still not getting that punishing people for making economically rational decisions and choosing to locate away from bad government is not going to improve the latter. In fact, it will just encourage them to continue being bad government.

Notice how Michigan started to reform itself, and now that reform is filtering down to Detroit, after they ran so many people off with bad government that they started to collapse.

The solution to governments that create a bad environment for job creating businesses is not to reward the latter by abusing the former even more. The solution is to force government to live within its means and shrink its mission back to where it should be.

countryboy
08-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Are we going to boot all companies with headquarters not located in this country? Doesn't sound like a smart move to me.

PolWatch
08-25-2014, 03:46 PM
no, I'm advocating booting them...just not allowing them to continue doing business here the same as before they left. Most of those that I have heard of moving to Asia depend on the US to sell those products. The purpose of a business (IMHO) is to make a profit, if the profit level is reduced because they moved...what would they do? Quit selling to the US? I don't think so. I'm not saying the taxes are not a problem but it isn't the only factor...but simple human greed is right up there with taxes.

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
BTW BK is controlled by a Brazilian investment group. It is an international business. Most of their growth is outside the declining U.S. now.

As an international business they have to compete with other international businesses. Businesses that aren't smart about overhead, regulation and taxes generally end up being ex businesses.

Here's the reality. The purchasing power of the people in the U.S., with the exception of the billionaires that Obama has taken such good care of, is going down. In much of the developing world, it is going up. That's where the future is unless there is some drastic restructuring and cutting of government, regulation and taxation in the U.S. We're talking requiring a serious roll back here and it is pretty unlikely at this point.

Hence, international businesses make international decisions about where to be and where to go. The threat of punishment for rational economic behavior just assures that more will make the same decisions.

Peter1469
08-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Duh..., they wouldn't leave here if we didn't punish them with taxes and regulation.

Mr. Right
08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
It would probably freak out a few of you if didn't know that China has some significant petro holdings in the Gulf of Mexico. They also own a fairly large terminal in Cameron, La. Kinda off-topic, but we were discussing foreign companies doing biz here and in other nations. Mainecoons even has a Dominoes Pizza in his new digs in El Lako... :wink:

Mainecoons
08-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes we do but it sucks. We also have a Subway, that's not so bad.

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Canada seems to understand two things about businesses:

1. Businesses don't pay taxes, their customers do.
2. Understanding #1, if you want to have more jobs, have the final beneficiaries of government services pay most of the taxes. And that is individuals.

Individuals pay most of the taxes for the support of the health care system and they are the primary beneficiaries. One of the big pluses for business in Canada besides the lower taxes are that they don't have to get involved in the hassle and expense of health care.

Actually, not true. Most employers provide private health insurance to cover dental, optometry, massage therapy, acupuncture and psychological counseling to name a few. Usually you put in x amount and the employer matches it. They also provide disability and life insurance.

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 07:32 AM
As for the move, I'm a little confused because as far as I am aware their businesses have been getting closed down up here and replaced with other food chains that are more popular. Plus, Tim Hortons is improving their menu with more options so more and more people buy food there instead of just coffee. I don't see why they would think of a merger with BK seeing as they are doing extremely well. The only advantage for Tim Hortons would really be the ability to spread outside of Canada, but they are already doing extremely well on their own.

Peter1469
08-26-2014, 07:39 AM
I drove through Canada from Upstate NY to Detroit and Tim Horton's seemed to be a rest stop restaurant. Like a Denny's.

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 07:48 AM
I drove through Canada from Upstate NY to Detroit and Tim Horton's seemed to be a rest stop restaurant. Like a Denny's.

They are literally everywhere. I have at least 4 within a short walking distance. Canadians love their Tims. There is a long-time rumor/myth that the coffee beans are grown beside cocaine fields so the coffee is addictive. But seriously, people go on coffee runs for my office at least twice a day. Double-double is the standard.

Peter1469
08-26-2014, 07:50 AM
I went to one. And never went back.

It was a long drive.

Professor Peabody
08-26-2014, 08:05 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/24/news/burger-king-tim-hortons/index.html?hpt=hp_t3 taxed too much in America. WOW! I always thought Canada taxed too much, Thanks Obama!

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 08:15 AM
WOW! I always thought Canada taxed too much, Thanks Obama!

We are fairly conservative fiscally. Our main goal has been a balanced budget but we didn't increase the corporate tax rate to achieve it. I believe we'll be balanced by 2016. There are a lot of regulations in specific industries, which is something that guarded us from the recession. I believe personal taxes are higher here.

Peter1469
08-26-2014, 08:16 AM
What is it with Canada? They are small enough to not really matter on the world stage, so they can act responsibly and function.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 08:32 AM
What is it with Canada? They are small enough to not really matter on the world stage, so they can act responsibly and function.

They don't have a bazillion people.

I think there's a lot to being just too populated.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 08:36 AM
I might move to Canada at some point. Or Alaska. Actually looked at a job opportunity up there recently.

Matty
08-26-2014, 08:41 AM
I might move to Canada at some point. Or Alaska. Actually looked at a job opportunity up there recently.

Depending on how young and hardy you are there is nothing to not love about Alaska.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 08:43 AM
The climate. The months of darkness. The mosquitoes. Not to love.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 08:47 AM

I'm a recluse, I do much better the further away from you people as I can get.

:biglaugh:

Matty
08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I loved the climate when I was young. The months of darkness are offset by the months of perpetual sunshine. They don't call it the land of the midnight sun for nuttin.

Mr. Right
08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
We are fairly conservative fiscally. Our main goal has been a balanced budget but we didn't increase the corporate tax rate to achieve it. I believe we'll be balanced by 2016. There are a lot of regulations in specific industries, which is something that guarded us from the recession. I believe personal taxes are higher here.

Really? I don't know much about you, if you live in the U.S. and think this bunch of vampires in our government are going to balance anything in the next 10 years, I want some of what you're smoking. I'm not being disrespectful, I just think you're dreaming.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Here's the hard numbers driving BK's decision:

Simply, the U.S. federal corporate tax rate is 35 percent and applies to both Burger King's domestic and overseas profits, whereas Canada's rate is 15 percent and only applies to Tim Horton's domestic sales.

In the second quarter of this year, Burger King's federal and state income taxes were 24 percent of its operating costs and 34 percent of its profits. Locating in Canada would cut those figures by up to 25 percent.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Burger-King-tax-Obama-Democrat/2014/08/26/id/590901/#ixzz3BVQGlGvN

This confirms my earlier post that it is a mistake to apply generalities about corporate tax breaks to the situation of individual companies.

bajisima
08-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Its a done deal. BK buys Tom Hortons for 11.4 billion. Guess who is ponying up cash in the new non American company? Warren Buffet..

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/burger-king-to-buy-tim-hortons-for-11-4-billion/

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Tim hortons

bajisima
08-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Tim hortons

Yes thanks!

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Yes thanks!

They're huge in Canada and NY, they have a couple of them near us. No different than Dunkin Donuts TBH.

I thought Horton's was owned/affiliated with Wendy's, in Toronto they had these Horton/Wendy's stores like KFC/Taco Bell does.

bajisima
08-26-2014, 09:33 AM
They're huge in Canada and NY, they have a couple of them near us. No different than Dunkin Donuts TBH.

I thought Horton's was owned/affiliated with Wendy's, in Toronto they had these Horton/Wendy's stores like KFC/Taco Bell does.

I went to one in Maine once. Coffee wasn't too good, but the donuts were better than DD. Dunkins donuts all taste the same now, they used to be good when I was younger but not anymore.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
I went to one in Maine once. Coffee wasn't too good, but the donuts were better than DD. Dunkins donuts all taste the same now, they used to be good when I was younger but not anymore.

DD's coffee sucks, I won't buy it there.

"Donut House" coffee is basically watered down, weak coffee. Blech! Fuck that.

Bob
08-26-2014, 09:48 AM

That is your idea of how to run things?

How does this relate to your belief that the woman has rights over her body?

I am comparing her rights to the rights of that company. They too have rights to find a more favorable taxing area.

As to changing the name from Burger King ... that is silly. We in America don't have kings and the proper time to change the name would be when it said King and then make it president.

Bob
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Simply, the U.S. federal corporate tax rate is 35 percent and applies to both Burger King's domestic and overseas profits, whereas Canada's rate is 15 percent and only applies to Tim Horton's domestic sales.

In the second quarter of this year, Burger King's federal and state income taxes were 24 percent of its operating costs and 34 percent of its profits. Locating in Canada would cut those figures by up to 25 percent.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.comhttp://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Burge...#ixzz3BVQGlGvN (http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Burger-King-tax-Obama-Democrat/2014/08/26/id/590901/#ixzz3BVQGlGvN)

This confirms my earlier post that it is a mistake to apply generalities about corporate tax breaks to the situation of individual companies.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

It is my opinion that minimum wage laws and probably the ACA that factors into this decision. Taxes of course are a major factor as previously stated. (ACA has part time exemptions)

And I hear that Obama wants it blocked right now.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Well I think I noted earlier that BK would probably view also the Canadian health system as removing a business concern for them.

Bob
08-26-2014, 09:58 AM

I can walk to the Burger King in 10 minutes but stay out of that place most of the time.

If i want to eat a good hamburger, Bob's is closer to me.

del
08-26-2014, 09:58 AM
I can walk to the Burger King in 10 minutes but stay out of that place most of the time.

If i want to eat a good hamburger, Bob's is closer to me.

thanks for sharing

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 10:00 AM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Keep in mind a couple of things, there will be downsides to relocating that may not be covered here for a number of reasons.

The other thing, if you've followed BK in it's positioning strategies in the fast food arena they've taken risks and played the role of the black sheep to niche themselves somewhat.

So I'm not convinced that just because BK moved there the environment is more attractive in this sense, otherwise blue-chippers like McD's would be doing that also.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
The only franchise burger I consider worth eating is an In and Out double double animal style!

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 10:02 AM
In and Out double double animal style!

I'm guessing that's banned in most Southern states.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Probably but that's how you order the thing.

:grin:

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 10:04 AM
thanks for sharing

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m521bk1WBz1rv82rjo1_500.gif

Matty
08-26-2014, 10:06 AM
The only franchise burger I consider worth eating is an In and Out double double animal style!
I know. I had one of those in California.

Mainecoons
08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
When they moved to Arlington, our Texas home, I really had to restrain myself.

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Really? I don't know much about you, if you live in the U.S. and think this bunch of vampires in our government are going to balance anything in the next 10 years, I want some of what you're smoking. I'm not being disrespectful, I just think you're dreaming.

I'm Canadian. I was talking about the Canadian budget being balanced as of 2016.

Adelaide
08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Well I think I noted earlier that BK would probably view also the Canadian health system as removing a business concern for them.

And I pointed out that it probably doesn't and why.

Bob
08-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Maybe I did not buy the right burgers but when I had them from In and Out, to me they were ordinary.

I have been meaning to get over to 5 guys to sample those. I like Fuddruckers though the cost of gas to get to the closest is quite a bit of the cost of the burger. Alas, I don't eat much red meat at all.

del
08-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Maybe I did not buy the right burgers but when I had them from In and Out, to me they were ordinary.

I have been meaning to get over to 5 guys to sample those. I like Fuddruckers though the cost of gas to get to the closest is quite a bit of the cost of the burger. Alas, I don't eat much red meat at all.

thanks for sharing

Matty
08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m521bk1WBz1rv82rjo1_500.gif
It would look better stuffed up the male pickled limp penis actually!

Matty
08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I think we should stuff some red hot peppers up the male penis too.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
I think we should stuff some red hot peppers up the male penis too.

Hey - whatever frosts your cupcakes.

Matty
08-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Hey - whatever frosts your cupcakes.
Let's stick a oboe up the male penis!

del
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
an oboe, not a oboe

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 11:31 AM
male penis!

That's a superfluous statement, btw.

Captain Obvious
an oboe, not a oboe

Ohhhhh, a oop?

del
an oop, not a oop

Matty
08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
an oboe, not a oboe
Two oboeeee side by side.

Matty
08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
And wan kanobe two.

Bob
08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
an oboe, not a oboe

Thanks for sharing that you indeed did understand what she told you.

Thanks for being obsessive over her grammar.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that you indeed did understand what she told you.

Thanks for being obsessive over her grammar.

..."on her grammar".

Professor Peabody
08-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Liberal feces for brains won't believe it till the see it, once they do their party will be doomed to walk the political wilderness for 2 generations at least. Let 'em hang themselves.

Peter1469
08-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Liberal feces for brains won't believe it till the see it, once they do their party will be doomed to walk the political wilderness for 2 generations at least. Let 'em hang themselves.

Seek help.

Professor Peabody
08-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Seek help.

Seek Electroconvulsive therapy.

exotix
08-26-2014, 07:37 PM
You know the concept of the "canary in the cage" in coal mines, yes?

The canary is an early warning that the air in the mine is becoming foul.

The growing trickle of people and companies leaving America is telling us that we have too much taxation and regulation. When high (personal) tax Canada is seen as a better place to do business, and is scoring higher on international competitiveness surveys, you know you have a problem.

Your "solution" is just the same old punitive, disempowering government oppression that is causing this problem in the first place.

Think on it some more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkhOFmqNSQ

zelmo1234
08-26-2014, 07:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkhOFmqNSQ

You do understand that if they can't cut costs and their competitors have an advantage they have to shut down right?

exotix
08-26-2014, 07:45 PM
You do understand that if they can't cut costs and their competitors have an advantage they have to shut down right?
Besides the Burger King wages employees enjoy that requires to also be on welfare ... the important point is that conservatives appear to like Burger King merging with socialists to escape taxes ... so Rancid will be along shortly to explain the National Debt to you in this regard.

zelmo1234
08-26-2014, 07:47 PM
The important point is that conservatives appear to like Burger King merging with socialists to escape taxes ... so Rancid will be along shortly to explain the National Debt to you in this regard.

If you taxed the US corporations at 100% you could not cover the current spending. We do not have a revenue problem we have a Taxations and spending problem.

The highest corporate tax rate in the world prevents companies from investing and growing the US economy and the spending makes the dollar worth less and less everyday.

exotix
08-26-2014, 07:50 PM
If you taxed the US corporations at 100% you could not cover the current spending. We do not have a revenue problem we have a Taxations and spending problem.

The highest corporate tax rate in the world prevents companies from investing and growing the US economy and the spending makes the dollar worth less and less everyday.
No sweat ... Burger King can now pay employees $10.10 an hour now.

zelmo1234
08-26-2014, 08:11 PM
No sweat ... Burger King can now pay employees $10.10 an hour now.

You want them to cut the pay for full time employee's too?

exotix
08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
You want them to cut the pay for full time employee's too?
Oh that's right I keep forgetting ... you subscribe to the tea party manifesto ... enthrall us with the chapter on tea party economics.

zelmo1234
08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Oh that's right I keep forgetting ... you subscribe to the tea party manifesto ... enthrall us with the chapter on tea party economics.

Low taxes, and low spending and letting the people keep more of their own money.

So tell me what part of the Democratic party Socialist manifesto is working?

exotix
08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Low taxes, and low spending and letting the people keep more of their own money.

So tell me what part of the Democratic party Socialist manifesto is working?
How'd that work out last time ?

Before the Bush Recession

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/labor/report/2009/02/23/5611/before-the-bush-recession/

Supply Side Tax Cuts Failed to Deliver Jobs and Growth Between 2001 and 2007.

President Bush signs his $1.35 trillion tax cut on June 7, 2001, at the White House.

http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2009/02/img/bush_tax_cuts_onpage.jpg

Dr. Who
08-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Yeah, they're only moving the head office, not the franchises.

Dr. Who
08-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Exactly. And take the higher paying HQ jobs with them.
Actually, the BK exec live like the peons, no fancy offices, no perks, it's the Tim Hortons exec in Canada that will be the big losers.

zelmo1234
08-27-2014, 04:15 AM
How'd that work out last time ?

Before the Bush Recession

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/labor/report/2009/02/23/5611/before-the-bush-recession/

Supply Side Tax Cuts Failed to Deliver Jobs and Growth Between 2001 and 2007.

President Bush signs his $1.35 trillion tax cut on June 7, 2001, at the White House.

http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2009/02/img/bush_tax_cuts_onpage.jpg

Actually it worked pretty good! We had the recession after 911

And then? You will love this because you have seen it at least 100 times

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

HOW! unemployment rate of 4.6% and a worker participation of almost 10 million more people

Want to look at the revenue generated by these tax cuts or are you going to try and say that they cost the government money again too?

You see in order to make supply side look bad, liberals have to lie about it!

zelmo1234
08-27-2014, 04:18 AM
For those that have a little money to wager,

BK stock is going to skyrocket. They are looking at about a 10% increase in net profits. that is HUGE

And remember people, the cost to bring the profits back into the USA is 35% so all those profits are going to be invested in Canada not the USA

Man that tax and spend policy of the Democrats is working so well

exotix
08-27-2014, 06:22 AM

BK stock is going to skyrocket. They are looking at about a 10% increase in net profits. that is HUGE

And remember people, the cost to bring the profits back into the USA is 35% so all those profits are going to be invested in Canada not the USA

I think Ted Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship but I think he agree's with you.

Peter1469
08-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Canadians don't like the take over. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-25/tim-hortons-canada-fans-squeamish-of-american-hook-up.html)

“I don’t like the idea of an American company buying a Canadian company -- it’s our brand,” Crosgrey, 60, said as she sipped a Tim Hortons coffee with three creams at a food court in downtown Toronto. “Timmy’s is always trying new things, adapting, they always have good service, and you always get your coffee fast no matter how long the lineup is. Burger King may screw it up.”

Burger King, the second-largest U.S. burger chain, agreed to acquire Oakville, Ontario-based Tim Hortons today for about C$12.5 billion ($11.4 billion) in a deal that creates the world’s third-largest fast-food chain and moves its headquarters to Canada.

texan
08-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Just remember the old saying that "Money goes where it is happy and stays where it is treated well."

The democrats overreaching chickens (regulations and taxing) are coming home to roost. Trust me when I say this, corporations care about the bottom line and that is how the decisions are made. The CEO's incintives are based on $ not on so called patriotism.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Canadians don't like the take over. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-25/tim-hortons-canada-fans-squeamish-of-american-hook-up.html)

Fuck'em

They're forgetting that they're "America's Hat".

https://clarku.collegiatelink.net/images/W460xL600/0/noshadow/Event/13fd3115293047eb8ea934549922fc05.jpg

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Just remember the old saying that "Money goes where it is happy and stays where it is treated well."

Reminds me of another old saying - "what the fuck are you talking about?".

Mainecoons
08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
"Money goes where it is happy and stays where it is treated well."

Do you really not understand this? Seems pretty plain to me and definitely relevant to the topic.

????

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you really not understand this? Seems pretty plain to me and definitely relevant to the topic.

????[/I][/COLOR]

No, I don't understand it.

It sounds rhetorically phoney. "Old saying" my ass, too.

Nobody addressed my point the other day as to why Burger King is the only fast food business - maybe the only material US business moving headquarters to Canada.

They're too busy trumpeting the wealth and business fertility of our hat I guess.

Mainecoons
08-27-2014, 10:59 AM
It simply points out that money, wealth, migrates to places where it is welcome and leaves places where it is not.

Hence BK.

That's pretty basic reality, really.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 11:02 AM
It simply points out that money, wealth, migrates to places where it is welcome and leaves places where it is not.

Hence BK.

That's pretty basic reality, really.

OK - stop playing dumb.

Why is BK the only one migrating?

Mainecoons
08-27-2014, 11:09 AM
They aren't. They're just the ones being discussed on this thread. And they are higher visibility than most.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444230504577615232602107536

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/07/news/economy/tax-advantage-inversion/

texan
08-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Reminds me of another old saying - "what the fuck are you talking about?".

Reminds of another saying "read with comprehension and you would understand."

texan
08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I went and looked it up I got the message exactly right on teh quote bit was a little off on the words:

Entry from May 08, 2011
“Capital goes where it’s welcome and stays where it’s well treated”

Wikipedia: Walter Wriston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Wriston)
Walter Bigelow Wriston (August 3, 1919 – January 19, 2005) was a banker and former chairman and CEO of Citicorp. As chief executive of Citibank / Citicorp (later Citigroup) from 1967 to 1984, Wriston was widely regarded as the single most influential commercial banker of his time. During his tenure as CEO, the bank introduced, among other innovations, automated teller machines, interstate banking, the negotiable certificate of deposit, and “pursued the credit card business in a way that no other bank was doing at the time.” With then New York Governor Hugh Carey and investment banker Felix Rohatyn, Wriston helped save New York City from bankruptcy in the mid-1970s by setting up the Financial Control Board and the Municipal Assistance Corporation, and persuading the city’s union pension funds and banks to buy the latter corporation’s bonds.

A famous quote from the finacial community senior Obvious.

I realize your comments were rude probably because thats your gig, but just thought I would clarify for you.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 06:14 PM
OK - stop playing dumb.

Why is BK the only one migrating?
Perhaps because they wanted to buy Tim Hortons anyway (it's a big money maker and expanding globally) and figured out that by moving the corporate HQ they could save more than half of their tax obligation i.e. 15% vs over 30%. Of course they will have to pay into single payer health care, but apparently that's still less than the US tax burden. Or better still, because they can.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Perhaps because they wanted to buy Tim Hortons anyway (it's a big money maker and expanding globally) and figured out that by moving the corporate HQ they could save more than half of their tax obligation i.e. 15% vs over 30%. Of course they will have to pay into single payer health care, but apparently that's still less than the US tax burden. Or better still, because they can.

I agree, but I'm not sure painting Canada as some tax utopia is relevant here.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I agree, but I'm not sure painting Canada as some tax utopia is relevant here.
Well I guess it's a corporate tax utopia to BK. Not to Canadian citizens however.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Well I guess it's a corporate tax utopia to BK. Not to Canadian citizens however.

Yeah, lol.

I implied earlier that BK always seemed to have a sort of desperate business strategy. They were always trying to play the dark horse in the market. McDonald's strategy was always sterile and milktoast. BK would lean toward the risky.

So I'm just not sure, if this is a strategic, conservative move or a risky one.

exotix
08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Actually it worked pretty good! We had the recession after 911

And then? You will love this because you have seen it at least 100 times

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

HOW! unemployment rate of 4.6% and a worker participation of almost 10 million more people

Want to look at the revenue generated by these tax cuts or are you going to try and say that they cost the government money again too?

You see in order to make supply side look bad, liberals have to lie about it!

http://i58.tinypic.com/2603c6a.gif

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah, lol.

I implied earlier that BK always seemed to have a sort of desperate business strategy. They were always trying to play the dark horse in the market. McDonald's strategy was always sterile and milktoast. BK would lean toward the risky.

So I'm just not sure, if this is a strategic, conservative move or a risky one.
Well corporate HOs can operate anywhere, so it's not surprising in light of the flight to lower tax climates. It's all about satisfying the investors. They'd probably move to Asia, but probably couldn't entice the executive to move.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Well corporate HOs can operate anywhere, so it's not surprising in light of the flight to lower tax climates. It's all about satisfying the investors. They'd probably move to Asia, but probably couldn't entice the executive to move.

Corporate Ho's? :biglaugh:

There are a lot of variables to these strategies, not just tax implications. The merger and location of assets is a big one too. There are like a bazillion Tim Horton's in Canada. I'm guessing that there are things not discussed in public that led to this decision also.

I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon that Canada is this tax haven for US businesses. I'll take the 'wait and see' approach on this one first before forming an opinion.

Captain Obvious
08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
For the record, there was a spot in Toronto, a street corner where standing there you could spot 4 Tim Horton's shops. 4 of them.

I don't remember where exactly it was, on the fringe of the city somewhere.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Corporate Ho's? :biglaugh:

There are a lot of variables to these strategies, not just tax implications. The merger and location of assets is a big one too. There are like a bazillion Tim Horton's in Canada. I'm guessing that there are things not discussed in public that led to this decision also.

I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon that Canada is this tax haven for US businesses. I'll take the 'wait and see' approach on this one first before forming an opinion.
Yes corporate HOs. LOL.

The current conservative government in Canada has been strategically decreasing corporate taxes in order to attract foreign business. That could change suddenly if the next government is liberal, so that is risky. That being said, there is no reason that BK couldn't operate just as well in Canada as in the US. The world is now just a click away. There is no issue in CA re getting qualified English speaking staff, which is the biggest impediment to moving a head office.

Peter1469
08-27-2014, 07:55 PM
The US is going to learn one way or the other that it can't have anti-business policies in a global marketplace.

Professor Peabody
08-27-2014, 09:41 PM

The Democrats excel at water-boarding American Business with regulation and taxes. So much so that as soon as they let 'em up for air they run for the border.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 09:46 PM
The franchises will stay put, it's only the corporate entity that will leave.

exotix
08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
The Democrats excel at water-boarding American Business with regulation and taxes. So much so that as soon as they let 'em up for air they run for the border.
Can we get you to comment on this ?

So which fast food chain finished number one on Dateline’s dirty dining list ... Burger King

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3473728/ns/dateline_nbc-consumer_alert/t/dirty-dining/#.U_6YY_ldXUc

The 100 Burger Kings we sampled rang up a whopping 241 total critical violations.

Health inspectors cited a Virginia Burger King for 14 separate critical violations: employees not washing their hands, uncovered food in the fridge, grime and debris found on this ice chute, and on the drink machine at the drive-thru widow.

We observed one employee scooping ice into a cup with his bare hands, an apparent critical violation.

Peter1469
08-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Globalism. Corporations will seek tax advantages and still operate as they do today.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Can we get you to comment on this ?

So which fast food chain finished number one on Dateline’s dirty dining list ... Burger King

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3473728/ns/dateline_nbc-consumer_alert/t/dirty-dining/#.U_6YY_ldXUc

The 100 Burger Kings we sampled rang up a whopping 241 total critical violations.

Health inspectors cited a Virginia Burger King for 14 separate critical violations: employees not washing their hands, uncovered food in the fridge, grime and debris found on this ice chute, and on the drink machine at the drive-thru widow.

We observed one employee scooping ice into a cup with his bare hands, an apparent critical violation.

Well, that won't change. What happens with the franchisees is down to them however perhaps a Canadian head office might be an improvement LOL. Canadians are pretty serious about enforcing health issues.

exotix
08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Well, that won't change. What happens with the franchisees is down to them however perhaps a Canadian head office might be an improvement LOL.

Canadians are pretty serious about enforcing health issues.
Damn socialists ... violating *Liberty & Freedom* ... especially the laws that don't work in the U.S.

Dr. Who
08-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Damn socialists ... violating *Liberty & Freedom* ... especially the laws that don't work in the U.S.
Canadians will probably send in more corporate inspectors to ensure compliance with health regulations.