PDA

View Full Version : Brace Yourselves...

Dark Mistress
08-25-2014, 10:50 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/8e/35/a98e352871efafbf47e2c2d72da5a4b3.jpg

My pinterest board is filling up with pumpkin recipes galore. I HEART fall! And pumpkins. My poor, sad pumpkins in my garden will probably not live to see harvest. I canNOT bear to cook with the junk in the can at the store. I need fresh pumpkin!

Good pumpkin recipes anyone? Because I don't have enough on the to-do list already...

Redrose
08-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I love pumpkin pie, and I make a great pie. Sadly, I do have to use canned pumpkin occasionally. I like sugar pie pumpkins for pies, but they are hard to get sometimes. I love fall and winter. I told my hubby if I am widowed I'm moving to Utah.

When I lived on Long Island there were farms all around us, peaches, strawberries, apples, grape vineyards, and every veggie you can think of. I would take the kids and we would have farm outings out in the fields with a tractor pulling a wagon and we'd bring home bushels of fruits and veggies. Cheap too. I miss that time of my life.

Dark Mistress
08-25-2014, 11:21 PM
I love pumpkin pie, and I make a great pie. Sadly, I do have to use canned pumpkin occasionally. I like sugar pie pumpkins for pies, but they are hard to get sometimes. I love fall and winter. I told my hubby if I am widowed I'm moving to Utah.

When I lived on Long Island there were farms all around us, peaches, strawberries, apples, grape vineyards, and every veggie you can think of. I would take the kids and we would have farm outings out in the fields with a tractor pulling a wagon and we'd bring home bushels of fruits and veggies. Cheap too. I miss that time of my life.

We grow sugar pie pumpkins. LOVE Them. We didn't get 'em started early enough this year though. I can the pumpkin and have plenty on the shelf for a year when we get a good crop. I am still using my home canned pumpkin from 2 years ago! Only 3 quarts left of it...

And yes, sugar pie pumpkins can be hard to find!

PolWatch
08-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Have you tried using sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin? We use them in the south just like pumpkins are used in the north. Some of them are very sweet...I like the red ones better than the yellow for pies, etc.

Redrose
08-26-2014, 12:54 AM
I did sneak a sweet potato pie in one year at Thanksgiving. It did not go over big. I liked it. But the other pies got the attention. I put oysters in my stuffing one year. Again, I was alone with that one too.

The first dinner I cooked for my husband was Coquilles St. Jacques Mornay. Scallops and gruyere cheese in white wine, served in large scallop shells. I took a French cooking class and I like that food. He ate it but was not thrilled. I was crushed. Burst out crying. He's from Ohio, midwestern appetite, meat, potatoes and gravy. It took 20 years but he likes that "fancy" stuff now. I like fancy food, smaller portions of better food. We never go to all you can eat buffet bars.

Peter1469
08-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Pumpkin pie is my only pumpkin dish. In fact that is the only baking that I ever do.

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 08:44 AM
My wife really likes pumpkin beers and the good ones - the ones that have the pie spices and don't taste like beer snob's piss are getting harder to find.

PolWatch
08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I did sneak a sweet potato pie in one year at Thanksgiving. It did not go over big. I liked it. But the other pies got the attention. I put oysters in my stuffing one year. Again, I was alone with that one too.

The first dinner I cooked for my husband was Coquilles St. Jacques Mornay. Scallops and gruyere cheese in white wine, served in large scallop shells. I took a French cooking class and I like that food. He ate it but was not thrilled. I was crushed. Burst out crying. He's from Ohio, midwestern appetite, meat, potatoes and gravy. It took 20 years but he likes that "fancy" stuff now. I like fancy food, smaller portions of better food. We never go to all you can eat buffet bars.

I wonder if all husbands are the same? When I break out the julia child cookbook, my husband eats it, politely. When I break out the cast iron skillet & fry chicken (not often), mashed potatoes & gravy...he really EATS it.

Dark Mistress
08-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Have you tried using sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin? We use them in the south just like pumpkins are used in the north. Some of them are very sweet...I like the red ones better than the yellow for pies, etc.

Sweet potatoes scare me....

But I will give that a try someday.

I have eaten sweet potatoes again and again in different forms and I always, always hate them.

Dark Mistress
08-26-2014, 09:48 AM
I wonder if all husbands are the same? When I break out the julia child cookbook, my husband eats it, politely. When I break out the cast iron skillet & fry chicken (not often), mashed potatoes & gravy...he really EATS it.

I think some taste buds are more refined... My husband is the same. However he is a chicken and taters kind a guy. He does love his beef and pork though. The cow shortage is killing me right now. And we have access to grass-fed cattle! I need a deep freeze to buy a portion...

Captain Obvious
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Depends on what you're making out of that Julia Child cookbook.

Dark Mistress
10-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Finally, finally! My pumpkins are canned.

Our crop failed us this year because we didn't get them started early enough (we are in the worst spot for growing pumpkins.)

I have pumpkins hands, pumpkin on my face and in my hair and 2 pumpkin pies in the oven with the pressure cooker letting out a little whistle now and again while my jars seal.

Life is good. I am tired. Good night all.

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Great. Now I want pie. Meanie.

Dark Mistress
10-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Great. Now I want pie. Meanie.

It was delish. We do our pumpkin pies with a crumb topping. Excellent!

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Annnnnnnd then you rub it in. Meannnnnnnnie!

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 10:39 PM
I'll make it worse! I went to the fish market yesterday & we had fresh flounder & shrimp...sure was good too!

Dark Mistress
10-17-2014, 10:41 PM
I'll make it worse! I went to the fish market yesterday & we had fresh flounder & shrimp...sure was good too!

Ya know my taste buds don't do fish well anymore. It makes me sad. I am still working on chicken tasting right as well. Steak tastes a little of too.

My taste buds are out of wack. Now, beef as in ground beef is my saving grace when it comes to meat. And bacon.

Matty
10-17-2014, 10:42 PM
You ever go gig for flounders?

Matty
10-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Ya know my taste buds don't do fish well anymore. It makes me sad. I am still working on chicken tasting right as well. Steak tastes a little of too.

My taste buds are out of wack. Now, beef as in ground beef is my saving grace when it comes to meat. And bacon.
Shrimp ain't fish. Slept in the gulf last night fresh shrimp is heaven!

Dark Mistress
10-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Shrimp ain't fish. Slept in the gulf last night fresh shrimp is heaven!

Shrimp IS heaven. Haven't had any in a long time....

Matty
10-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Sweet potatoes scare me....

But I will give that a try someday.

I have eaten sweet potatoes again and again in different forms and I always, always hate them.

I make a sweet potato soufflé. Bake them. Scoop them out, beat with orange juice and crushed pineapple, cinnamon. Place in a casserole dish and bake them again til good and hot.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 10:53 PM
We used to gig flounders...now I just gig 'em at the market (lazy in my old age). I used to go frog gigging in a swamp in South Louisiana too...maybe age brings wisdom (or fear) 'cause I wouldn't do it again!

I think I go into withdrawal if I don't have shrimp at least once a month....and if it ain't fresh, it ain't worth messing with. I've heard people talk about shrimp smelling bad and they don't understand, if you can smell it, don't eat it!

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 10:53 PM
I could live on shrimp.

Redrose
10-17-2014, 10:55 PM
I made an amoretto marble cheesecake two nights ago. It's all gone. We love cheesecake, we don't do it often, too fattening. I have a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake but haven't done it yet.

We have another daughter getting married in November, so we have to watch it or the clothes won't fit. lol

Oh boy, get to see the ex again, twice in 4 months, ain't I lucky!!!!!!

silvereyes
I make a sweet potato soufflé. Bake them. Scoop them out, beat with orange juice and crushed pineapple, cinnamon. Place in a casserole dish and bake them again til good and hot.
Yall are mean

Matty
We used to gig flounders...now I just gig 'em at the market (lazy in my old age). I used to go frog gigging in a swamp in South Louisiana too...maybe age brings wisdom (or fear) 'cause I wouldn't do it again!

I think I go into withdrawal if I don't have shrimp at least once a month....and if it ain't fresh, it ain't worth messing with. I've heard people talk about shrimp smelling bad and they don't understand, if you can smell it, don't eat it!
Yep, and they have to be firm bodied and nice and pink.

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 10:56 PM
I made an amoretto marble cheesecake two nights ago. It's all gone. We love cheesecake, we don't do it often, too fattening.

We have another daughter getting married in November, so we have to watch it or the clothes won't fit. lol

You're mean too. Lol

Matty
10-17-2014, 10:57 PM
I made an amoretto marble cheesecake two nights ago. It's all gone. We love cheesecake, we don't do it often, too fattening.

Lol. I' luv's me some amperetto.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I made an amoretto marble cheesecake two nights ago. It's all gone. We love cheesecake, we don't do it often, too fattening. I have a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake but haven't done it yet.

I can't imagine that! We were in Wal-mart a couple of years ago & my son & husband asked what did I think of that...me: huh? I had walked right by my ex & didn't recognize him...and we were married almost 10 years! I did the sneak around the corner to peek & he was horrible! Had gained at least 100 lbs & his wife (15 years younger than me) looked like my grandmother! I loved it! (hey, its ok to be a *&*&* about ex's)

Redrose
10-17-2014, 11:02 PM
I like amoretto in coffee, with a touch of Bailey's. Has a nice kick. Lol

Matty
10-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Lol, I fell over board one night hauling in a mullet net in crooked island sound. It was at night. I did not get creeped out til the husband shined the light on the banks and there were big orange yellow eyes staring back. :)

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:06 PM
that will get ya thinking...we used to wade the grass beds to gig soft shells...got to where the grass felt creepy!

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:17 PM
We used to wade around Dauphin Island until we felt the oysters with our feet and then pick them up...had an old wash tub in a tire inner tube (redneck float). Now, I wait till I can get oysters from Apalachicola...best oysters in the world! (I just buy 'em now)

Matty
10-17-2014, 11:25 PM
We used to wade around Dauphin Island until we felt the oysters with our feet and then pick them up...had an old wash tub in a tire inner tube (redneck float). Now, I wait till I can get oysters from Apalachicola...best oysters in the world! (I just buy 'em now)
You can't get them now. Georgia is hogging all the water from lake Lanier, the oyster beds took some serious damage.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:27 PM
oh no! don't say that! I was counting the days until a couple of cold spells made 'em yummy!

Matty
10-17-2014, 11:33 PM
oh no! don't say that! I was counting the days until a couple of cold spells made 'em yummy!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/13/us-usa-florida-oysters-idUSBRE97C0YR20130813

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:40 PM
That completely sucks! They are destroying the wetlands all over the Gulf & it makes me furious! No one seems to realize that the wetlands are the incubator to the oceans and without a healthy eco-system, they are killing all the fisheries! Alabama has joined the idiocy of building condos, etc on the barrier islands for the rich folks and they are constantly dredging and trying to keep the sand in place. They keep trying to fight mother nature because barrier islands move...they shift according to rain, tides, etc. They are the protective barrier for the wetlands...but some folks only see $$$ to try & develop them! oopps...I'll climb off my soapbox & go quietly...before I start in on BP!

Matty
10-17-2014, 11:45 PM
That completely sucks! They are destroying the wetlands all over the Gulf & it makes me furious! No one seems to realize that the wetlands are the incubator to the oceans and without a healthy eco-system, they are killing all the fisheries! Alabama has joined the idiocy of building condos, etc on the barrier islands for the rich folks and they are constantly dredging and trying to keep the sand in place. They keep trying to fight mother nature because barrier islands move...they shift according to rain, tides, etc. They are the protective barrier for the wetlands...but some folks only see $$$ to try & develop them! oopps...I'll climb off my soapbox & go quietly...before I start in on BP!

I told my husband that Florida could divert fresh water from waukula springs into Apalacicola bay. That spring gushes millions of gallons a day and it all ends up in the gulf. I don't know if they have given that any thought or not.

Matty
10-17-2014, 11:46 PM

NOLA knows.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 11:49 PM
I think the NOLA wetlands are still fighting the oil spill. I wonder if they will ever recover. Katrina washed so much gunk into them, then BP helped the situation. I was surprised we got as lucky as we did....