PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this taking Atheism Too Far?

Matty
08-28-2014, 11:47 PM
I say it is,

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/28/prayer-for-injured-teen-sparks-atheist-outrage/

Prayer for an injured player cannot hurt a thing. I say go for it unless the child or the parents object.

KC
08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
I could care less so long as non-Christian children are able to opt out of prayer. Children should be able to pray or not pray as they please, but no coach should ever tell the children that they have to pray.

kilgram
08-29-2014, 01:13 AM
Lucky that I don't live in USA with so many Christian extremists...

sachem
08-29-2014, 01:24 AM
"Perpetually offended". I like that description. Some folks just are that way.

Chris
08-29-2014, 05:30 AM
Antitheist would be a better word.

Libhater
08-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Its just another sign of a group of leftists whining about what others think or feel. Just more innocent Christian dogma about to be outlawed in this leftist/progressive litigious society we happen to be living in these daze. I'm sure the leftist led ACLU will be on this case like stink on shit. These atheist a-holes need to get a life and stop bothering those of us who already have one...doncha think?

Matty
08-29-2014, 07:02 AM

I agree.

nic34
08-29-2014, 07:20 AM
I think the atheists are getting a little over zealous.

Alyosha
08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
They aren't atheists, they're anti-Christians. My grandfather was an atheist and he would not have cared at all because to him religion was silly. He was never offended by it. He was also respectful of the fact that his wife and family believed.

countryboy
08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Yes, lucky for us. :wink:

countryboy
08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
They aren't atheists, they're anti-Christians. My grandfather was an atheist and he would not have cared at all because to him religion was silly. He was never offended by it. He was also respectful of the fact that his wife and family believed.
It's the freedom from religion foundation, they're athiests. But you're right, they are also anti-Christian. As far as I know, they only bitch about Christians.

Chris
08-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Here's the thing, they are invoking the law as written. A government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it away, Geral Ford pointed out.

nathanbforrest45
08-29-2014, 08:09 AM

We're glad you don't live here either for many reason. Your complete lack of sanity being one of them.

Alyosha
08-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Is there a reason everyone must insult kilgram ?

He's speaking in another tongue, trying to find out how we think, reaching out, and you don't like his progressive opinions...fine. Why insult him?

Matty
08-29-2014, 08:45 AM

Is there a reason everyone must insult @kilgram (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=867) ?

He's speaking in another tongue, trying to find out how we think, reaching out, and you don't like his progressive opinions...fine. Why insult him?

I didn't insult him. I agreed with him. If he feels lucky not to live in the USA around Christian extremists" then I agree he's lucky. What's wrong with that.

Peter1469
08-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Is there a reason everyone must insult @kilgram (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=867) ?

Insecurity?

Matty
08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Insecurity?

Not it at all. I understand his aversion. I feel lucky not to live in a country that is so barbaric as to slaughter bulls for entertainment. If he has an aversion to Christian extremists then I feel he's lucky not to be here.

Chris
08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
People seem to take personally criticism of groups, hell, some take personally criticism of their opinions, hell once over, some think that's what politics is all about.

Peter1469
08-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Not it at all. I understand his aversion. I feel lucky not to live in a country that is so barbaric as to slaughter bulls for entertainment. If he has an aversion to Christian extremists then I feel he's lucky not to be here.

I wasn't referring to Kilgram.

Matty
08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
I wasn't referring to Kilgram.
I know.

Matty
08-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Shit! People bitch even when you've agreed with em! :)

countryboy
08-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Right, because it's not insulting when he refers to normal every day Christians as "extremists". One reaps what they sow.

Individual
08-29-2014, 12:48 PM
"And when thou prayest, thou shall not be as the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." Jesus of Nazareth.

Why did they have to have a group prayer for this injured football player? Couldn't they just have bowed their heads and prayed privately?

What is it that people get out of public spectacle prayers?

Matty
08-29-2014, 12:50 PM
"And when thou prayest, thou shall not be as the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." Jesus of Nazareth.

Why did they have to have a group prayer for this injured football player? Couldn't they just have bowed their heads and prayed privately?

What is it that people get out of public spectacle prayers?

It's called freedom of speech and freedom of religion. They are allowed both.

Individual
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
It's called freedom of speech and freedom of religion. They are allowed both.

But what do they get out of it? They're not following the words of Christ. So why do they do it?

Mister D
08-29-2014, 01:07 PM
But what do they get out of it? They're not following the words of Christ. So why do they do it?

The "words of Christ" are an admonition against hypocrisy not public prayer per se which seems obvious enough when one reflect on how Jesus and his disciples made their faith public.

PolWatch
08-29-2014, 01:19 PM

imho: to some its an honest expression of their faith & they don't think of where they are when they feel the need to pray. Some people are doing it for the admiration of others and it has little to nothing to do with faith. Like most human actions, we can't generalize without being unfair to one or the other group....

btw I actually agree with your remarks and I generally distrust those who announce "I'm a Christian" or make a big production. They don't have to tell us if they actually are practicing their faith, we will notice without the preamble.

Individual
08-29-2014, 01:23 PM
The "words of Christ" are an admonition against hypocrisy not public prayer per se which seems obvious enough when one reflect on how Jesus and his disciples made their faith public.

The words of Christ are telling us that praise is to go to God. When you pray just so you can be seen praying then you are attempting to take praise unto yourself.

If people truly wanted God to help the injured football player they would have bowed their heads and silently prayed for it. They became hypocrites when they desired that everyone should see them praying. They became hypocrites when they called themselves Christians but refused to follow the words of Christ as if those words had come from a powerful god.

GrassrootsConservative
08-29-2014, 01:28 PM
The words of Christ are telling us that praise is to go to God. When you pray just so you can be seen praying then you are attempting to take praise unto yourself.

If people truly wanted God to help the injured football player they would have bowed their heads and silently prayed for it. They became hypocrites when they desired that everyone should see them praying. They became hypocrites when they called themselves Christians but refused to follow the words of Christ as if those words had come from a powerful god.

Hey man nice post. Welcome to the forum. It's cool to see a fellow Nebraskan on here.

Mister D
08-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Right. That's why I said it's an admontion against hypocrisy not public prayer.

That you are claiming these Christians are hypocrites is clearly unsubstantiated and likely the result of your own bias. IOW, it's your problem not theirs.

The Sage of Main Street
08-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Lucky that I don't live in USA with so many Christian extremists... In the civil war you lost, didn't Franco get a lot of people to fight for him because of the Left's politically unnecessary, insensitive, and insulting attacks on religion?

GrassrootsConservative
08-29-2014, 01:37 PM
In the civil war you lost, didn't Franco get a lot of people to fight for him because of the Left's politically unnecessary, insensitive, and insulting attacks on religion?

Attacks on religion are the only thing the left does that is necessary. After all, for the entirety of humanity's existence on earth the religious have been indiscriminately attacking everybody else.

The Sage of Main Street
08-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I think the atheists are getting a little over zealous. They are false-flag agents of the Right, which gets Christians to commit economic suicide because of these intentionally threatening insincere attacks against them. The media present this puppet show; the only people who are excused from believing what is shown are little children.

countryboy
08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Cherry picking out of context Bible verses doesn't mean much. There are plenty instances of group prayer in the Bible as well. In fact the Bible says, "For*where two or*three are*gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them".

GrassrootsConservative
08-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Cherry picking out of context Bible verses doesn't mean much. There are plenty instances of group prayer in the Bible as well. In fact the Bible says, "For*where two or*three are*gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them".

But you JUST said "Cherry picking out of context Bible verses doesn't mean much."

Then you want to go and cherry pick out of context bible verses? Why?

countryboy
08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
But you JUST said "Cherry picking out of context Bible verses doesn't mean much."

Then you want to go and cherry pick out of context bible verses? Why?

There's very little point in discussing religion with you. It was merely an example to counter a bogus claim.

Matty
08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
It's their perogative.

kilgram
08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
I agree with that statment. Bullfighting is barbaric. And that is something that I would say that 90% of Spanish youth agrees.

However today is an activity that is followed by a minority but with powerful influences, mainly in the conservative government.

And it is true that from our views is a bit extremist how the religion is important in USA and the references to God are much more used than in Spain.

For example, praying would be seen like an anomality and would be really weird. No one prays in a school or in public and probably would be seen as someone crazy.

Chris
08-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I agree with that statment. Bullfighting is barbaric. And that is something that I would say that 90% of Spanish youth agrees.

However today is an activity that is followed by a minority but with powerful influences, mainly in the conservative government.

And it is true that from our views is a bit extremist how the religion is important in USA and the references to God are much more used than in Spain.

For example, praying would be seen like an anomality and would be really weird. No one prays in a school or in public and probably would be seen as someone crazy.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

~Ernest Hemingway

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor."

~Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon

Dr. Who
08-30-2014, 06:53 PM
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

~Ernest Hemingway

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor."

It's not an art when it involves an unwilling and uninformed participant.

kilgram
08-30-2014, 06:56 PM

~Ernest Hemingway

And? What do you mean with that quotes. Because Hemingway liked that abomination makes right this abomination, do you mean that?

Matty
08-30-2014, 07:00 PM
It's not an art when it involves an unwilling and uninformed participant.
The bull always dies. I always root for the bull to do as much damage as he can before he dies.

sachem
08-30-2014, 07:01 PM

You are lucky.

Dr. Who
08-30-2014, 07:04 PM
The bull always dies. I always root for the bull to do as much damage as he can before he dies.
It's a vile "sport". I too root for the bull, assuming I can bring myself to even watch the spectacle.

Matty
08-30-2014, 07:09 PM
It's a vile "sport". I too root for the bull, assuming I can bring myself to even watch the spectacle.

I don't watch it either. I just giggle with delight when we see pictures of a matador with a horn up his butt!

Libhater
08-30-2014, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Individual;744802

What is it that people get out of public spectacle prayers?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they're hoping that some of their love for GOD and inspirational prayers will rub off on people who may be more prone to isolate and worship Satan. Just a thought.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 08:22 AM

It is not crazy to pray. It's ridiculous to label people as "crazy" for simply praying. No one prays in public in Spain? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's probably an exaggeration at best.

Chris
08-31-2014, 10:39 AM
And? What do you mean with that quotes. Because Hemingway liked that abomination makes right this abomination, do you mean that?

Meant what it says, bullfighting is a sport and an art. That you don't like it doesn't make it less so. Same as your not liking prayer.

Chris
08-31-2014, 10:45 AM

533 professional bullfighters killed in the ring since 1700 (https://fiskeharrison.wordpress.com/tag/matadors-who-have-died/)

http://i.snag.gy/FCtmB.jpg

But pity the bull.

Mister D
08-31-2014, 10:49 AM

This is really too much. They should deport you.

Matty
08-31-2014, 10:49 AM
533 easily preventable, entirely unecessary deaths.

Dr. Who
08-31-2014, 10:50 AM
533 professional bullfighters killed in the ring since 1700 (https://fiskeharrison.wordpress.com/tag/matadors-who-have-died/)

But pity the bull.
If people go into the ring to torture a bull, why should I feel sorry for them when they get killed doing so. It's a vile inhumane sport.

Matty
08-31-2014, 10:54 AM
BullPower! :)

Chris
08-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Bulloney!

Ethereal
08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Meant what it says, bullfighting is a sport and an art. That you don't like it doesn't make it less so. Same as your not liking prayer.

It's an abomination, is what it is. A grisly spectacle that only serves to excite the basest human desire for violence and bloodshed.

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:06 AM
If a butcher wears fabulous clothing and dances while he kills the animals is that, too, art?

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:09 AM
If a butcher wears fabulous clothing and dances while he kills the animals is that, too, art?
I thought this thread was about atheism. :rolleyes:

del
08-31-2014, 11:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKbcrC0krQ

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:11 AM
I thought this thread was about atheism. :rolleyes:

Threads are about a lot of things around these parts, but as long as there is a way to insert race, black people, race, or bullfighting there's still hope for the obstructionists and trolls.

Matty
08-31-2014, 11:11 AM
That's why they put all those pretty ribbons on the swords.

Ethereal
08-31-2014, 11:12 AM

But pity the bull.

The butcher chose to enter the ring, the bull did not. Of course I pity the bull.

Matty
08-31-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.stopbullfighting.org.uk/facts.htm

Matty
08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
http://www.stopbullfighting.org.uk/facts.htm

I dare are you to read this Chris, then come back and tell us it is "art".

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Threads are about a lot of things around these parts, but as long as there is a way to insert race, black people, race, or bullfighting there's still hope for the obstructionists and trolls.
Not sure when you developed this, "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. But it is not flattering on you. :wink:

Ethereal
08-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Not sure when you developed this, "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. But it is not flattering on you. :wink:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't the one who brought up bullfighting.

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:24 AM

It was right around the time you started telling me how I think about things then using the eye-roll smilie to show your contempt for the position I never made.

Matty
08-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Blame me. I the agnostic drug bullfighting into it. After a Spaniard declared himself lucky not to live around Christians and prayers. He called them extremists. So, naturally I felt the need to show him what extremism is. So, blame me.

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Blame me. I the agnostic drug bullfighting into it. After a Spaniard declared himself lucky not to live around Christians and prayers. He called them extremists. So, naturally I felt the need to show him what extremism is. So, blame me.

This isn't exactly a structured forum. I think it's ok.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure she wasn't the one who brought up bullfighting.

That's beside the point.

PolWatch
08-31-2014, 11:32 AM
There is logic in the thread going from public praying to bullfighting. They are both mentioned as public activities that some agree with and some don't.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
This isn't exactly a structured forum. I think it's ok.

Then why did you give me, and others a hard time about off topic posting recently?

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:35 AM
There is logic in the thread going from public praying to bullfighting. They are both mentioned as public activities that some agree with and some don't.

I agree, and I don't have a problem with off topic posting. But I do have a problem with hypocrisy.

Ethereal
08-31-2014, 11:36 AM
That's beside the point.

Was your point related to atheism in any way, or was it just an attempt to dredge up old grudges?

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Then why did you give me, and others a hard time about off topic posting recently?

Because unlike bullfighting race is a) not the topic of the thread, b) boring by now, c) divisive, and d) leads to anger and bitchery. Also, the OP of a thread should be allowed to take the thread where he or she wants.

Are you done finding fault with me or do you wish to continue? I've got an extra 10 lbs I want to lose, some pretty harsh split ends, and a strange red mark on my left cheek that looks like a bug bite.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Was your point related to atheism in any way, or was it just an attempt to dredge up old grudges?

Actually, this is a quite recent grudge.

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:39 AM

It's true Ethereal is it recent. It started with the "I'm a cop hater" meme. I tried to olive branch it twice, but I guess there will be no peace in the forum.

Ethereal
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Not to mention a petty one.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Because unlike bullfighting race is a) not the topic of the thread, b) boring by now, c) divisive, and d) leads to anger and bitchery. Also, the OP of a thread should be allowed to take the thread where he or she wants.

Are you done finding fault with me or do you wish to continue? I've got an extra 10 lbs I want to lose, some pretty harsh split ends, and a strange red mark on my left cheek that looks like a bug bite.

I'm not looking to find fault with you, just wondering why it's perfectly fine for you to give me a hard time, but not okay for me to point out your blatent hypocrisy in that regard.

Matty
08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Should we switch to barbs aka porcupine friends? :)

check this this dude out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgq6XbJgGv0

PolWatch
08-31-2014, 11:44 AM

ya wanna know what is really unfair? As many times as I have had someone chewing on my rear...it just stays the same size! If someone wants to take chunk outta me, I wish it would at least result in a smaller size! :rollseyes:

Chris
08-31-2014, 11:44 AM

It was when I quoted Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon that all hell broke loose! :rollseyes:

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm not looking to find fault with you, just wondering why it's perfectly fine for you to give me a hard time, but not okay for me to point out your blatent hypocrisy in that regard.

Do you believe that I started in with you? I remember you calling me a cop hater and I remember that hurting my feelings because it was you, someone I like, and it wasn't a true representation of how I feel.

Very few people on these forums hurt my feelings because I just don't care about them. You and I have bonded over loss of family members and it bothers me when you don't trust my heart or intentions. Telling me I hate anyone just didn't sit right.

Anyway I don't want to keep going. We can just either forgive each other now or ignore each other. No one else needs to be a part of this.

Which is it?

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Not to mention a petty one.

Sorry, but when someone who I call friend suddenly starts giving me a hard time all over the forum, I don't consider it petty. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care.

countryboy
08-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Do you believe that I started in with you? I remember you calling me a cop hater and I remember that hurting my feelings because it was you, someone I like, and it wasn't a true representation of how I feel.

Very few people on these forums hurt my feelings because I just don't care about them. You and I have bonded over loss of family members and it bothers me when you don't trust my heart or intentions. Telling me I hate anyone just didn't sit right.

Anyway I don't want to keep going. We can just either forgive each other now or ignore each other. No one else needs to be a part of this.

Which is it?

Well, I haven't un-friended you. Truce?

Like I just said to Ethereal, if I didn't care, I wouldn't care. I guess that goes both ways.

Alyosha
08-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Well, I haven't un-friended you.

LOL, no you haven't.

Truce?

Of course.

Private Pickle
09-01-2014, 12:41 AM

But pity the bull.

Bull > Human