PDA

View Full Version : Obesity: America's #1 Health Issue --outlaw sweets?

Alyosha
08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Since obesity costs the American public more than drug addiction does ( http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html ) I propose we outlaw sweets and fatty foods, as well as, create the Health Enforcement Agency to handle any black market sales of chips or junk food.

Who is with me? It has worked out so well for drugs, right?

donttread
08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Since obesity costs the American public more than drug addiction does ( http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html ) I propose we outlaw sweets and fatty foods, as well as, create the Health Enforcement Agency to handle any black market sales of chips or junk food.

Who is with me? It has worked out so well for drugs, right?

Better yet declare war on sweets ! I mean the we declared "war on drugs" and drugs are everywhere. We declared "War on Poverty" and we have more poor people than ever before , we declared "war on Terror" and we have a slew of new terrorist groups each year.
I'm betting Hershey and Monsanto would love to have us declare war against them.

Matty
08-29-2014, 10:09 AM
We should be passive and let everyone dope themselves into oblivion. Just so long as they act adult about it and don't steal my money. It's just plain juvenile behavior to whine that you have a right to become addicted and then whine that society should pay for it. Man the hell up.

Chris
08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
One needs to control sugar intake oneself, not be told by the state how to eat.

Man, sugar, like salt, is in everything! Just about.

Here's the irony, of sorts, evolution led us to naturally crave sugars when it was in short supply, and now our bodies are out of sync with our technological ability to produce it.

Alyosha
08-29-2014, 10:19 AM
We should be passive and let everyone dope themselves into oblivion. Just so long as they act adult about it and don't steal my money. It's just plain juvenile behavior to whine that you have a right to become addicted and then whine that society should pay for it. Man the hell up.

Matalese

this is a serious question by me. I'm trying to understand if you and others feel the same about other public health issues that cost us a lot of money.

Would you outlaw sweets?

donttread
08-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Addiction is, at least impart , a disease of body chemistry much as Type Two Diabetes is.

donttread
08-29-2014, 10:22 AM
One needs to control sugar intake oneself, not be told by the state how to eat.

Man, sugar, like salt, is in everything! Just about.

Here's the irony, of sorts, evolution led us to naturally crave sugars when it was in short supply, and now our bodies are out of sync with our technological ability to produce it.

I do believe that Monsanto et al need to be honest about what is in their food and why

Matty
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
@Matalese (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=796)

this is a serious question by me. I'm trying to understand if you and others feel the same about other public health issues that cost us a lot of money.

Would you outlaw sweets?

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Food is a necessity. Recreational addictive drugs are not. I would not outlaw sweets. I would teach my family proper nutrition.

Matty
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I do believe that Monsanto et al need to be honest about what is in their food and why
Agreed.

Chris
08-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Food labels tell you sugar content.

Genetic modifications is something else.

Mainecoons
08-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Outlaw government! A great deal more toxic to your health these days than a candy bar.

Adelaide
08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't think government should get involved in something like this, but I do think there is room for encouraging healthy habits. Of course, that should be more at a local level.

Chris
08-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Thing is government does more to promote it than inform us.

http://i.snag.gy/zjrxy.jpg

OK so I stopped drinking that soda a day long ago--I knew people who scarfed down half a dozen or more a day.

And I drank unsweetened Snapple and other drinks--unsweetened, there's sugar in everything.

Oh, wow, sugar-free cookies--dancing in the aisle of Walmart. Wait, what's this, sugar alcohol!

Green Arrow
08-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Oh, come on, Alyosha, we all know the answer. We can't outlaw Big Gulps and large sodas because who doesn't love soda? Only reason people support the drug war is because they don't do drugs.

The Xl
08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Outlaw caloric surpluses at once

Matty
08-29-2014, 12:26 PM
I have already agreed to legalizing drugs so long as you agree to pay for your addictions and treatment thereof. Are you grown up enough to handle it?

Alyosha
08-29-2014, 12:51 PM
I have already agreed to legalizing drugs so long as you agree to pay for your addictions and treatment thereof. Are you grown up enough to handle it?

I've already said like 20 times yes. My question though was based on your current belief drugs should be illegal hence my question if you believe the same of bad foods.

Codename Section
08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

How about I don't pay for anyone's bad choices or their personal desires and morality? I don't care who does drugs. I won't do them if they're legal because I care about my body. Neither will the people who are like me who care about their bodies.

It will be the same people doing them now, only the crime rates will come down.

I no more want to foot the hospital bills for a heroin addict as the dude who can't put down the soda and chips.

Matty
08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
I've already said like 20 times yes. My question though was based on your current belief drugs should be illegal hence my question if you believe the same of bad foods.
I know, and I answered you too. My last question was for the big boys!