PDA

View Full Version : Something for you young folks to take a look at

Mainecoons
08-29-2014, 03:10 PM
http://www.thecankicksback.org/about_tckb

MISSIONOur mission is to educate, organize and mobilize young Americans in order to promote a sustainable and generationally equitable federal budget.
ABOUT US
Every time Washington “kicks the can down the road” by delaying action on addressing the drivers of our $17 trillion and growing national debt, politicians are actually kicking young people and our future. In short, we are that can. The Can Kicks Back is a non-partisan and Millennial-driven campaign with the goal of kicking back at Washington by demanding a sustainable and generationally equitable solution.
Our campaign was launched in November 2012 by a group of five concerned young people and has since grown to a movement of over 100 local chapters in 38 states and thousands of supporters from across the country and across the political spectrum. Simply put: we are fighting for our future and for the same economic opportunity enjoyed by our parents and grandparents.
Read about why the debt matters (http://www.thecankicksback.org/why_the_debt_matters).
CORE BELIEFS
• America’s fiscal path is simply unsustainable. The growing gap between federal spending and revenue over the long-term means our country will neither be able to afford the promises it has made in the past nor pay for needed investments in the future. This imbalance impacts everyone and everything we care about and represents the biggest challenge facing today’s young people.
• Our growing debt is not just a political issue, but a moral one. As a result of decisions that are being made (or not made) by leaders today, our generation faces a diminished future of more debt, fewer jobs, higher taxes and a lower standard of living. Inaction will result in Millennials being the first generation in our history to inherit a country worse off than their parent’s.
• When politicians delay, young people pay. The longer we wait to deal with our fiscal imbalance, the greater the burden will be on young people and future generations. The real choice we face is not between the Democratic or Republican parties, but between progress that can save our future or the status quo that would sacrifice it.
ANY SOLUTION SHOULD:
• Achieve fiscal sustainability and generational equity. Our country should pay for the programs it desires in the present without passing the bill to the future, and do so in a way that does not sacrifice critical investments that make America’s economy stronger and more globally competitive.
• Be built on bipartisanship and “Generationship.” Americans need to come together across partisan and generational divides to forge a bold and generationally balanced agreement, so that it can gain broad based support and be sustained over the long-term.
• Require shared sacrifice, while protecting the most vulnerable. All Americans should be part of the effort to put our budget in order regardless of age or socioeconomic status. We are all in this together.

I stumbled across this when looking for something else.

Cigar
08-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Require shared sacrifice, while protecting the most vulnerable

BS

Peter1469
08-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Advocating not kicking the can down the road..., refreshing!

Cigar
08-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Running for Political Office, then refusing to Legislate, is kicking the Can down the road.

I'm sure there are people here who care if their future Grandchildren will have a safe Infrastructure.

... or not.

Mainecoons
08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
That's what I thought. Probably futile but refreshing. At least some of the young people are starting to wake up to what progressivism and runaway deficit spending for wars and income transfers will do to their future.

I know it doesn't have to be this way because I was their age when it wasn't this way. And I know that my generation and the several in front and behind us caused this to happen. Year by year we let the drip of more and more government, more and more wasted spending and more and more debt increase.

Peter1469
08-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Running for Political Office, then refusing to Legislate, is kicking the Can down the road.

I'm sure there are people here who care if their future Grandchildren will have a safe Infrastructure.

... or not.

Not when the option is increases deficit spending.... :shocked:

Peter1469
08-29-2014, 03:43 PM
That's what I thought. Probably futile but refreshing. At least some of the young people are starting to wake up to what progressivism and runaway deficit spending for wars and income transfers will do to their future.

I know it doesn't have to be this way because I was their age when it wasn't this way. And I know that my generation and the several in front and behind us caused this to happen. Year by year we let the drip of more and more government, more and more wasted spending and more and more debt increase.

Cigar ain't young.

I think the young people get it.

Mainecoons
08-29-2014, 04:14 PM
If they do, they got it between now and 2012 because they went right back out in 2012 and voted for more ObamaNomics.

Maybe a few get it. Do most get it? Not yet IMO but maybe groups like this made up of their peers will make some headway.

The Xl
08-29-2014, 04:17 PM
The whole structure needs to be changed, America shouldn't be issuing its own currency at interest, it makes no sense, and only benefits the special interests that run the country.

A lot of things need to change.

sachem
08-29-2014, 04:36 PM
The whole structure needs to be changed, America shouldn't be issuing its own currency at interest, it makes no sense, and only benefits the special interests that run the country.

A lot of things need to change.America. Change it or lose it.

The Xl
08-29-2014, 04:38 PM
America. Change it or lose it.

More or less, yeah.