PDA

View Full Version : A Republican "wave" in November?

pjohns
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Stu Rothenberg--who is a serious political analyst--is now predicting a "wave" election in November. He projects that the GOP will gain a net of at least seven seats in the Senate--six are needed for a majority--and that it may even gain more than that: Numbers Game Still Favors GOP Senate Majority | News & Analysis | The Rothenberg Political Report (http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.com/news/article/numbers-game-still-favors-gop-senate-majority)

Interesting...

Cigar
09-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Way too much time for a Republican to keep their mouth shut :laugh:

KC
09-09-2014, 08:03 PM
I certainly think the GOP is poised to gain the Senate. Whether that will be the result of a Republican "wave" I am not so sure about.

Redrose
09-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Way too much time for a Republican to keep their mouth shut :laugh:

You mean like the insane babble out of Pelosi, Reid and Biden? My grandbaby makes more sense than those three dweebs.

KC
09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
You mean like the insane babble out of Pelosi, Reid and Biden? My grandbaby makes more sense than those three dweebs.

Your point? Reid is the only one in the Senate and he is not up for reelection this year. Typically independent voters will evaluate the individual candidate rather than the party as a whole.

Captain Obvious
09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure. The O'bama's foreign and domestic decisions are now being made based on the upcoming elections. Everything he's doing and not doing is being done (or not done) with the impact on elections in mind to a large degree.

There could be a zinger in his cards waiting for the right time to pull.

Just a thought, maybe not.

The Xl
09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
It's a neocon, pro war cycle. Until Americans figure out it was all BS, ala the Bush years, and then they elect a "anti war" liberal who's still a hawk.

And the cycle will go on and on. Because Americans are stupid.

Green Arrow
09-09-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure. The O'bama's foreign and domestic decisions are now being made based on the upcoming elections. Everything he's doing and not doing is being done (or not done) with the impact on elections in mind to a large degree.

There could be a zinger in his cards waiting for the right time to pull.

Just a thought, maybe not.

October Surprise?

Green Arrow
09-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Anyway, I fully expect the Republicans to gain the Senate or stop at 49-51 with the majority still Democrat. Moreso favoring Republican control. I'd hardly predict a wave, however.

pjohns
09-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Typically independent voters will evaluate the individual candidate rather than the party as a whole.

Independents are not nearly so ubiquitous in midterm elections as they are in presidential-year elections. Midterms tend, therefore, to be base elections. That is precisely why it is so important that the Republican base is far more energized, currently, than the Democratic base is.

Private Pickle
09-10-2014, 01:34 AM
I certainly think the GOP is poised to gain the Senate. Whether that will be the result of a Republican "wave" I am not so sure about.

It won't matter. Obama has a precedence for bypassing Congress.

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Well 6 or 7 seats in a Senate Election is a Wave.

And it is likely that the Republicans will take the Senate BUT THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO!

What are they proposing to do about the nations problems. NOTHING!

They are running on we are not them! and in my opinion that is not a reason to vote for them

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 06:58 AM
They are running on we are not them! and in my opinion that is not a reason to vote for them

Obama is so bad that just not being a democrat who marches in lockstep behind him is enough to win the public's vote.

Cigar
09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
It's will be just more Benghazi, ObamaCare and Impeachment talk ... while the rest of America waits for Governing

Jets
09-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Not surprised. Voters seem to vote against their best interests and tend to vote against a party instead of for one. Question is : Which one pissed off the electorate more??

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 08:00 AM
It's will be just more Benghazi, ObamaCare and Impeachment talk ... while the rest of America waits for Governing

Obama can tell others what to do but he can't lead.

So I don't think losing congress bothers a dictator as much as it would bother a small r republican.

Captain Obvious
09-10-2014, 08:03 AM

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

If the GOP is running on Benghazi and impeachment then I have a hard time seeing anyone beyond the bucket carrying crew supporting them.

Does anyone have any idea what the GOP is running on?

Cigar
09-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Obama can tell others what to do but he can't lead.

So I don't think losing congress bothers a dictator as much as it would bother a small r republican.

Every 4 years this country has a Presidential Election, every 4 years there's a Winner and Loser.

It's time this country learns it's can't get it's way all the time and forever.

Expect more learning moments to come ... you can bet on it.

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Obama is so bad that just not being a democrat who marches in lockstep behind him is enough to win the public's vote.

And if you think a bout it? Is that not really sad!

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Well if the Democrats have something that they want me to support, they should bring it up.

The country is against Amnesty, so that is something that I want the opposition to oppose.

What else are they bringing to the table?

And as for the Impeachment talks, If you Democrats would stop brining it up there would be no talk of impeachment.

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Every 4 years this country has a Presidential Election, every 4 years there's a Winner and Loser.

Obama was elected president, not dictator.

so tell him about real life and why he can't have his way all the time.

donttread
09-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Stu Rothenberg--who is a serious political analyst--is now predicting a "wave" election in November. He projects that the GOP will gain a net of at least seven seats in the Senate--six are needed for a majority--and that it may even gain more than that: Numbers Game Still Favors GOP Senate Majority | News & Analysis | The Rothenberg Political Report (http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.com/news/article/numbers-game-still-favors-gop-senate-majority)

Interesting...

WOW I mean if the republicans took total control that would make ZERO difference

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:12 AM

And every 2 years there are congressional election and the USA does not elect a King, they never have.

So it is the job of the President to provide leadership and compromise so that the nations can move forward.

The current occupant of the Whitehouse and golf course. does not get it, and refuses to work with the oppositions or compromise. So we are stuck

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:14 AM
WOW I mean if the republicans took total control that would make ZERO difference

Actually it would, they would begin to blame the President for things again. This one does not get any blame because that would be Racist.

Other than that, you are right!

Cigar
09-10-2014, 08:15 AM
And every 2 years there are congressional election and the USA does not elect a King, they never have.

So it is the job of the President to provide leadership and compromise so that the nations can move forward.

The current occupant of the Whitehouse and golf course. does not get it, and refuses to work with the oppositions or compromise. So we are stuck

Well let's see if Congress Pussy's Out when Obama call them out to do their Job :laugh:

Cigar
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Taking Control would mean Governing and having a Platform to Run On

They don't want to Govern ... that would mean they would have to come to work and be on record for a Vote.

Those Cowards would rather sit back, do nothing and blame Obama ... it's easier that way.

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Well let's see if Congress Pussy's Out when Obama call them out to do their Job :laugh:

I think a republican house and senate will put plenty of legislation on obamas desk to sign.

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:23 AM

You mean like pass legislation and send it to the Senate where it dies?

Or like opposing the stupid shit that Obama wants to do?

Cigar
09-10-2014, 08:24 AM
You mean like pass legislation and send it to the Senate where it dies?

Or like opposing the stupid shit that Obama wants to do?

Yes ... :grin:

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 08:24 AM
I think a republican house and senate will put plenty of legislation on obamas desk to sign.

Especially since the Democrats made it so that most legislation in the Senate only take 51 votes.

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Especially since the Democrats made it so that most legislation in the Senate only take 51 votes.

I think we will see a lot of filibusters from the dem minority.

but with the new filibuster rules put in place by Dirty Harry the dems will not be able to obstruct as much as they could in the past.

PolWatch
09-10-2014, 08:36 AM
all of 'em can pass laws all day long...the problem is when it comes to funding those laws. Politicians get a lot of publicity from talking about what great laws (solutions) they support but when it comes to actually providing the money to implement, not so much. Look at all the hoo-ha over immigration and yet, funding was denied. Same with VA reforms...funding denied. Maybe they are waiting for the latest shipment of magic wands...

donttread
09-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Taking Control would mean Governing and having a Platform to Run On

They don't want to Govern ... that would mean they would have to come to work and be on record for a Vote.

Those Cowards would rather sit back, do nothing and blame Obama ... it's easier that way.

Cigar, how can you have watched the last 14 years unfold and really believe that there is any difference between the "two major parties:?I mean it flies in the face of fact, logic and common sense.

Cigar
09-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Cigar, how can you have watched the last 14 years unfold and really believe that there is any difference between the "two major parties:?I mean it flies in the face of fact, logic and common sense.

act, logic and common sense ?... we're talking politics, bitterness and obstruction.

Mainecoons
09-10-2014, 08:41 AM
To the OP:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch and don't underestimate the ability of the Democrats to steal close elections with ballot fraud.

PolWatch
09-10-2014, 08:43 AM
it won't take fraud...the repubs seem to specialize lately in shooting each other. 2016 should be the year of the repubs...but they can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if they continue in-fighting.

texan
09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
64% chance to win vs. 36% chance to win.

They will get to 52 like I predicted.

It doesn't matter if it is a wave or not. I can't wait to see that Fing lying when his lips are moving Harry Reid bounced.

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
64% chance to win vs. 36% chance to win.

They will get to 52 like I predicted.

It doesn't matter if it is a wave or not. I can't wait to see that Fing lying when his lips are moving Harry Reid bounced.

I hope repubs take control of the senate and exceed my low expectations for them.

The Republican Party is run by self aggrandizing frauds who mostly talk the talk but fail to deliver.

even so it would be a small step in the right direction from where we are now.

donttread
09-10-2014, 02:49 PM
How has Obama changed our lives from the Bush years? Hardly at all. Yeah 2016 will be like that again. Rinse and repeat until you take down the Donkephant

texan
09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I agree check him and Hillary.............can't wait for Obama to start Veto'ing stuff that will get fun. The Senate going away on one hand is a legacy that will haunt Obama (losing every gain they ever made) and on the other a gift so he can blame both houses for not working with anyone himself.

nic34
09-10-2014, 03:41 PM
All this is, is an exercise in futility anyway, unless the Gopers are planning a coup against Obama....

PolWatch
09-10-2014, 03:47 PM
All this is, is an exercise in futility anyway, unless the Gopers are planning a coup against Obama....

yeap...you just inspired a mental image of Rush leading the charge across the Potomac..they might want to add pontoons to that rowboat!

nic34
09-10-2014, 03:50 PM
yeap...you just inspired a mental image of Rush leading the charge across the Potomac..they might want to add pontoons to that rowboat!

Rush would be leading the rear.....

Matty
09-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Limbaugh, I remember him he's the dude the classy pos in the wh laughed about the possibility he would die of renal failure. Stay class democrats then if you ever mange to get some then come preach to us. And as for your First Lady winning? Never. She's soooooooo slow it took her 45 years to remember to be proud of her country.

Green Arrow
09-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Not really:

1) They could win a veto-proof majority (unlikely), or
2) Obama, obsessed as ever about his image, will mostly go along with them.

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 04:33 PM

If they win the senate and hold the house the repubs are going to chip away at the Obama dictatorship one bill at a time.

he can veto some but not all of them.

zelmo1234
09-10-2014, 04:37 PM
If they win big, they are likely to get the support of the Democrats that have to run in 16. Thus they very well could vote to override the Presidents veto!

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 04:40 PM
If they win big, they are likely to get the support of the Democrats that have to run in 16. Thus they very well could vote to override the Presidents veto!

If nothing else the repubs will be passing laws that have to be declined by an obstructionist White House.

nic34
09-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Not really:

1) They could win a veto-proof majority (unlikely), or
2) Obama, obsessed as ever about his image, will mostly go along with them.

1) Right, very unlikely.

2) He's not going to give on anything he already signed off on..... as for what may be pending, you're right.

nic34
09-10-2014, 04:46 PM
If nothing else the repubs will be passing laws that have to be declined by an obstructionist White House.

The W/H has had a lot of experience with that, so get ready for it....

Mac-7
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
One tactic is to tuck small changes into big spending bills.

i don't have much confidence in the repubs but even they may be able to up their game with both houses in their control,

pjohns
09-11-2014, 01:38 AM
And as for the Impeachment talks, If you Democrats would stop brining it up there would be no talk of impeachment.

It is surely intended as bait for the GOP: Even if President Obama were to be impeached by the House, it would be impossible for the Senate to muster anywhere near the two-thirds supermajority needed to convict. But the impeachment itself would tend to energize the Democratic base; and would probably win over a few independents, also (even though they tend to represent a diminished portion of the electorate during the midterms).

pjohns
09-11-2014, 01:40 AM

Well, if Mitch McConnell were setting the agenda--determining what would be voted upon, and what would simply be buried--instead of Harry Reid's doing so, I believe that would make for a rather substantial difference...

pjohns
09-11-2014, 01:46 AM

Why, exactly, might a "coup" be necessary to frustrate the ambitions of an out-of-control president? (The last time I checked, the legislative branch was co-equal to the executive branch; which is to say, the president is not an autocrat.)

Private Pickle
09-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Why, exactly, might a "coup" be necessary to frustrate the ambitions of an out-of-control president? (The last time I checked, the legislative branch was co-equal to the executive branch; which is to say, the president is not an autocrat.)

Because this president could give a rat's ass about Congress?

pjohns
09-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Larry Sabato--who is yet another serious political analyst--is now predicting a net Republican gain of "five to eight Senate seats" in November, with "[t]he likeliest outcome" being "six or seven seats"; either of which would give the GOP control of the upper chamber: Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball What Is a Wave in the Senate? (http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/what-is-a-wave-in-the-senate/)