PDA

View Full Version : Kingston church worships rattle snakes

Juggernaut
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Kingston, GA is a quiet little town with some creepy people. Saw an X-Files episode with snake worshippers. The actors were as weird as these peeps.

See To Believe: Snake Worship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFCI2bsajM#)

Conley
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Holy crap...well, it's good that they don't let the kids get in I guess. I hate copperheads most of all.

Mister D
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I thin snake handling is a east coast/Appalachian phenomenon.

Conley
08-09-2011, 07:20 PM

People out here know better ;D

Actually, that's not true. There are tons of snake handlers in the funky desert communities out here.

Mister D
08-09-2011, 07:33 PM

People out here know better ;D

Actually, that's not true. There are tons of snake handlers in the funky desert communities out here.

I'm referring to the Christian cult. I forget what they are called but they are found in the Old South, I believe. Are they also out west?

Juggernaut
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
In the west in desert areas such cults exist. I saw one while riding with a group touring on motorcycles. The church had a snake symbol on the cross, we kept on going.

Mister D
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
In the west in desert areas such cults exist. I saw one while riding with a group touring on motorcycles. The church had a snake symbol on the cross, we kept on going.

Ah, I stand corrected. It does appear to be concentrated in in the east though.

Most religious snake handlers are still found in the Appalachian Mountains and other parts of the southeastern United States, especially in such states as Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Ohio. However, they are gaining steady recognition from news broadcasts, movies and books about the non-denominational movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

freecell
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Yea, I have found most of the snake handlers to be extreme Pentecostal. I have no problem with most Pentecostal churches but some are out there.

Mister D
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Yea, I have found most of the snake handlers to be extreme Pentecostal. I have no problem with most Pentecostal churches but some are out there.

Hey, nice to gear from you. :)

Some Pentecostal churches can be very strange from what I understand.

freecell
08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
You are correct and I to attend one. I attend Methodist, Baptist, and Pentecostal churches. Depends where I am at. Not all of them are the same.

Mister D
08-09-2011, 08:29 PM
You are correct and I to attend one. I attend Methodist, Baptist, and Pentecostal churches. Depends where I am at. Not all of them are the same.

There is no governing body, right? It would make sense that practices could vary widely even in a single country or region.

freecell
08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Most of the Pentecostal Churches are called "Church Of God". They vary

MMC
08-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Would you say these people worship the snake? Calling themselves the Church of God. Seems to be quite a mariginal play they got off with.

Snake religions have come and gone thruoughout history. I believe one of the first was to Set. Said to be a Snake God.

wingrider
08-10-2011, 06:29 AM
actually they are not worshiping the snake, but are trying to emulate paul.

Paul was bitten by a viper on the ilse of patmos when he was shipwrecked and he shook the snake off and suffered no ill effects.. so it is a matter of faith with thses people.

but I guess they forgot about the scritpure that teaches " though shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. found in mathew when satan was tempting christ in the desert.

Satan told Jesus to throw himself off the mountain and god would send ten thousand angels to resue him..

these people are testing God not their faith

Mister D
08-10-2011, 07:46 AM
There is another passage that refers to snake handling in the NT.

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

MMC
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

Is tht connected in the End of Days Scenarios to? Do you think Christianity knew of the pagan worship from the beginning?

Mister D
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Is tht connected in the End of Days Scenarios to? Do you think Christianity knew of the pagan worship from the beginning?

I'm sure pagan practices were very familiar to the early Christians. After all, many of them were former pagans!

MMC
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM

I'm sure pagan practices were very familiar to the early Christians. After all, many of them were former pagans!

Which then for some reason was kept alive and even thoughtout Europe. Plus I am sure the hebrews already knew of those in Egypt that worshipped the snake. Still other areas around the World there were tribes that did so to.

Mister D
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Which then for some reason was kept alive and even thoughtout Europe. Plus I am sure the hebrews already knew of those in Egypt that worshipped the snake. Still other areas around the World there were tribes that did so to.

Christians don't worship snakes though.

MMC
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Well that would be true Christians then.....

Mister D
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Well that would be true Christians then.....

I don't know that any Christians worship snakes. These snake handlers don't. It's more of a faith thing.