PDA

View Full Version : Update mountain lion attack

Bob
09-12-2014, 03:30 PM
First, the mountain lion was finally treed by dogs after a several day search. A lot of effort went into locating the lion. Next was, does it have rabies? Is the lion they shot in the tree the same lion that harmed the 12 year old boy. Turns out they did DNA testing very fast since the cat was shot a few days ago. It is the same lion.

This article gives more details. The boy is recovering and to be safe is getting rabies shots. Those they say are painful. We just got this news early today.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/dna-test-confirms-killed-mountain-lion-same-one-that-mauled-boy-near-cupertino/

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 04:21 PM
I wonder how many people on this forum would blame the boy?

Chloe
09-12-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't blame the boy but I also don't think that the mountain lion did anything wrong either. It's no different really from a shark attack. If you enter its natural environment then you do take the chance of interacting with it in some way, and for a human it's often a very painful or scary interaction given our fragile bodies and limited abilities in the wild.

Redrose
09-12-2014, 09:09 PM
We have black bear around us, I make a lot of noise when I walk the pups late at night. There has been a bear by the house a couple of times. Fortunately they ran away fast. They are expanding their search for food at this time of year.

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
It's not a blame situation. Both boy and lion were just being themselves and the two don't mix.

Fortunately the boy will mend. Unfortunately for the lion, he (she?)is gone.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
I don't blame the boy but I also don't think that the mountain lion did anything wrong either. It's no different really from a shark attack. If you enter its natural environment then you do take the chance of interacting with it in some way, and for a human it's often a very painful or scary interaction given our fragile bodies and limited abilities in the wild.

We've been on the top of the food chain for 1,000s of years.

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:23 PM
We've been on the top of the food chain for 1,000s of years.Yeah. But only with help from our weapons. One on one we are dinner.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:23 PM

We obviously don't have fragile bodies given the boy survived the attack and our abilities know no bound either in the wild or otherwise.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah. But only with help from our weapons. One on one we are dinner.

Well I guess the mountain lion should make weapons then huh? Oh wait it can't because its a fucking mountain lion....

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:27 PM
We obviously don't have fragile bodies given the boy survived the attack and our abilities know no bound either in the wild or otherwise.He survived because other folks were present.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:28 PM
He survived because other folks were present.

He was 12.

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Well I guess the mountain lion should make weapons then huh? Oh wait it can't because its a fucking mountain lion.... Sometimes the lower species on the food chain get the prize. ;)

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:30 PM
He was 12.Yup.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Sometimes the lower species on the food chain get the prize. ;)

So you're happy that this mountain lion attacked this boy?

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:35 PM
So you're happy that this mountain lion attacked this boy?
Of course not. But the lion was hoping to get dinner. It's prize.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Of course not. But the lion was hoping to get dinner. It's prize.

And got dealt with.

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
And got dealt with.No choice. The lion had to go.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:38 PM
No choice. The lion had to go.

We agree.

Bob
09-12-2014, 09:44 PM
I wonder how many people on this forum would blame the boy?

It was not his fault. Lions are hunters. It is my suspicion the lion contracted rabies because normally they flee humans.

Correction it is clear of rabies

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:45 PM
We agree.Scary.

Bob
09-12-2014, 09:45 PM
It's not a blame situation. Both boy and lion were just being themselves and the two don't mix.

Fortunately the boy will mend. Unfortunately for the lion, he (she?)is gone.

The Lion is male. It was not very large yet since it weighed about 74 lb I believe it was. I make a correction. I suspected it had rabies but tests proved it did not have rabies. They stopped the rabies shots.

74 pounds can do some damage but full grown they are double that weight.

sachem
09-12-2014, 09:48 PM
It was not his fault. Lions are hunters. It is my suspicion the lion contracted rabies because normally they flee humans.According to the article the lion didn't have rabies.

Bob
09-12-2014, 09:53 PM
According to the article the lion didn't have rabies.

Note for the record. i corrected that.

Private Pickle
09-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Scary.

You should see me naked.

Bob
09-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Fully grown, a mountain lion weighs 200 pounds. Think of a football player with claws and fangs biting you.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/naturescience/mountain-lion.htm

Physical Appearance
Mountain lions are usually tawny to light cinnamon in color with black-tipped ears and tail. They vary in size and weight with males reaching up to 200 pounds and eight feet in length. The females can reach up to 130 pounds and seven feet in length. They are generally solitary animals, and the males always travel alone.

sachem
09-12-2014, 10:14 PM
You should see me naked.:D

Redrose
09-13-2014, 02:22 AM
It is a shame, the lion was just being a lion. They have to eat. I feel for the child too don't get me wrong. My own daughter was mauled by a 60 lb. pit bull and disfigured. That boy was extremely lucky he wasn't killed or eaten alive. We are encroaching on their space, we are putting ourselves in their grazing areas, them killing them for doing what comes naturally.

Here in the mountains, we have a lot of black bear. Tourists arrive daily, all year round to hike, photograph and sight see. Some are foolish and approach these beautiful 150 to 400lb. animals. They look cuddly. They are not. A mother with cubs will kill you without hesitation. If these dumb tourists get hurt, the bear is tracked down and euthanized. I think they should euthanize the tourist. Two years ago, a nitwit was feeding (a crime) a baby bear, very dumb, mom is never far away. The cub clawed the tourist in an attempt to quickly grab the Dunkin Donut being offered. Their claws do not retract and are long and sharp as a razor. The baby bear had to be tracked down and killed. Mother put up quite a fight and was put down too. What a sin. Locals were outraged. Now many locals, myself included, call the Rangers when we see people stalking a bear to take a close up photo. The rangers can get the bear safely away from these foolish tourists.

We are intruding into their space and the animal suffers.

silvereyes
09-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Ok. Redrose: that just made me sad. Poor baby and mama bear.

Im glad the boy is okay.

These displaced animals have to be as scared of humans as we are of them. Well, smart people should be somewhat scared, mixed with respect, of them.

Bob
09-16-2014, 01:22 AM
It is a shame, the lion was just being a lion. They have to eat. I feel for the child too don't get me wrong. My own daughter was mauled by a 60 lb. pit bull and disfigured. That boy was extremely lucky he wasn't killed or eaten alive. We are encroaching on their space, we are putting ourselves in their grazing areas, them killing them for doing what comes naturally.

Here in the mountains, we have a lot of black bear. Tourists arrive daily, all year round to hike, photograph and sight see. Some are foolish and approach these beautiful 150 to 400lb. animals. They look cuddly. They are not. A mother with cubs will kill you without hesitation. If these dumb tourists get hurt, the bear is tracked down and euthanized. I think they should euthanize the tourist. Two years ago, a nitwit was feeding (a crime) a baby bear, very dumb, mom is never far away. The cub clawed the tourist in an attempt to quickly grab the Dunkin Donut being offered. Their claws do not retract and are long and sharp as a razor. The baby bear had to be tracked down and killed. Mother put up quite a fight and was put down too. What a sin. Locals were outraged. Now many locals, myself included, call the Rangers when we see people stalking a bear to take a close up photo. The rangers can get the bear safely away from these foolish tourists.

We are intruding into their space and the animal suffers.

The park the boy was injured at was cleared by the rangers. I don't want to get into a blame game but the parents were led to believe it was safe. Warnings are posted so people are aware of the lions. This one was about 1/3 full grown yet the gashes left on the boy were enough he was put into the hospital. Anyway, no doubt he feels it today but is mending.

Some bears can hit a victim with it's paw and do a lot of damage.

In Freshman science class in high school the teacher came in one monday and told us his property was invaded by a black bear.

He had one or more pigs in a pen with high walls to keep out bears. His cabin was bear proof. When he got there, he did not hear the pig. He opened the pen and the pig was gone. He looked around and decided a bear got into the pen by climbing over the top up the wall and down into the pen and with a powerful swat, killed the pig and it flew out of the pen. I think the walls were over 8 feet high. It wasn't funny but some of us kind of were amused by his story.

My science teacher Don Oakes was later the principal of the school. We had a huge H for Hayward on a hill. A few times I took my lunch up the hill to eat it and enjoy the view.

I think the H is all that is left other than the old boys gym. It was modern and very large and the city converted it to Centennial Hall.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21011970/hayward-high-alum-fights-save-last-remnant-old

Damn, the old boys gym is gone. Tore it down a few years ago.

It was huge.

This is a small part of the High School now gone

silvereyes
09-16-2014, 02:27 AM
And thats why we should avoid and respect animals. It makes me sad to think that someday there might not be anywhere for them to go.

donttread
10-06-2014, 02:52 AM

The thing that save many humans during mountain lion attacks is that their method of attack is designed to kill deer and our necks are much shorter.

donttread
10-06-2014, 02:54 AM
We've been on the top of the food chain for 1,000s of years.

Not always. You know those Tigers and crocks everyone wants to save.? They et a lot of people.

donttread
10-06-2014, 02:55 AM
We have black bear around us, I make a lot of noise when I walk the pups late at night. There has been a bear by the house a couple of times. Fortunately they ran away fast. They are expanding their search for food at this time of year.

They may be dropping off nuciance nears that are bothering dumpsters in town. That's what they do around here

Private Pickle
10-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Not always. You know those Tigers and crocks everyone wants to save.? They et a lot of people.

Any idea why people are trying to save them now?

Private Pickle
10-06-2014, 10:30 AM

You're suggesting the lion was morally and ethically correct. That may be the case if animals have morals or ethics. Given they don't there is no reasoning with the attack and the lion needs to be put down for the the protection of humans.