PDA

View Full Version : Ukrainian President Asks U.S. Congress for Lethal Military Aid

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Via Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/18/ukraine-poroshenkocongress.html):

The United States said on Thursday that it would provide $46 million in new security assistance to Ukraine's military, but stopped short of fulfilling an urgent request from Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko for lethal aid to quell an insurgency by Russian-backed separatists.

“I strongly encourage the United States to give Ukraine a special security and defense status which reflects the highest level of interaction with non-NATO allies,” Poroshenko said in an emotional speech before Congress.

Senior Obama administration officials said the new financial aid would include $7 million in humanitarian assistance that would be transferred to international relief organizations to help civilians in eastern Ukraine, where the rebellion is based.

Assistance would also include providing Ukrainian forces with patrol boats, body armor, heavy engineering equipment, and counter-mortar radar to help detect artillery fire.

Poroshenko thanked the U.S. for the nonlethal equipment, but he said more was needed to stop provocations near the Russian border. "Blankets and night vision goggles are important, but one cannot win a war with a blanket," he said during a 40-minute address.

Ukraine and Russia-backed separatists have been locked in a months-long battle for control of eastern Ukrainian cities that sit on Russia's border — aggression that followed Russia's annexation of the strategically important peninsula of Crimea.

Did I not say that against all wisdom, we would end up getting involved with Ukraine militarily against Russia, way back when the Ukraine Crisis started?

Why, yes, yes I did.

Bob
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Poroshenko thanked the U.S. for the nonlethal equipment, but he said more was needed to stop provocations near the Russian border. "Blankets and night vision goggles are important, but one cannot win a war with a blanket," he said during a 40-minute address.

He still is not the legitimate president. Obama backs a person that played a role in the overthrow of a legal government.

This is what the fighting is all about.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 02:27 PM
He still is not the legitimate president. Obama backs a person that played a role in the overthrow of a legal government.

Isnt it it about rebuilding the old soviet empire?

Bob
09-18-2014, 02:31 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=769488#post769488)

Ukraine is waging an internal war because of the current completely illegal government.

This has nothing to do with Russia.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 02:39 PM

He is just as much a legitimate President as George Washington was.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 02:39 PM

No, no it is not.

Bob
09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=769488#post769488)

He is just as much a legitimate President as George Washington was.

The people of Ukraine probably heard of George Washington but no, to the Ukrainians this new president got the job due to a coup. Coups are not legal.

Common Sense
09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
The people of Ukraine probably heard of George Washington but no, to the Ukrainians this new president got the job due to a coup. Coups are not legal.

But bloody revolutions are?

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Nor was George Washington's revolution against the British. Are you a royalist, Bob?

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 03:14 PM
No, no it is not.

Putin is a KGB agent who grew up in the Soviet Union.

The communists have always abused the Ukrainians and depended on them as the breadbasket of Russia.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Putin is a KGB agent who grew up in the Soviet Union.

Pope Benedict was in the Hitler Youth and grew up in Nazi Germany. That doesn't make him a Nazi.

The communists have always abused the Ukrainians and depended on them as the breadbasket of Russia.

And the U.S. has done no different to the Middle East.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Pope Benedict was in the Hitler Youth and grew up in Nazi Germany. That doesn't make him a Nazi.

It would if Benedict grew up and joined the Gestapo instead of the Catholic Church.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
And the U.S. has done no different to the Middle East.

Nonsense.

we buy their oil and free them from dictators.

the US is nothing like the Russians.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
It would if Benedict grew up and joined the Gestapo instead of the Catholic Church.

He didn't have time, the war ended. He most likely would have ended up in the Gestapo. Those things weren't always done by choice, same with the KGB.

Nonsense.

we buy their oil and free them from dictators.

the US is nothing like the Russians.

We are actually quite a lot like the Russians, and we most certainly do not free them from dictators. In fact, in the case of Iran, we deliberately unchained and supported a dictator over the democratically elected Prime Minister during the Eisenhower administration.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 03:44 PM
He didn't have time, the war ended. He most likely would have ended up in the Gestapo. Those things weren't always done by choice, same with the KGB.

He didn't have time, the war ended.

which leaves you with mere speculation about Benedict.

but not Putin.

he embraced the communist cause.

texan
09-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Via Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/18/ukraine-poroshenkocongress.html):

Did I not say that against all wisdom, we would end up getting involved with Ukraine militarily against Russia, way back when the Ukraine Crisis started?

Why, yes, yes I did.

The I was eleceted to end wars Obama is dragging us into a second war, thanks Obama!

Remember you heard it here first, he will rue the day he said no boots on the ground. It is coming.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
which leaves you with mere speculation about Benedict.

but not Putin.

he embraced the communist cause.

Got some evidence for that claim?

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 03:50 PM
The I was eleceted to end wars Obama is dragging us into a second war, thanks Obama!

Remember you heard it here first, he will rue the day he said no boots on the ground. It is coming.

Actually, we'll all rue the day he did put boots on the ground. And that day is coming. We'll have boots on the ground, either before the election or after.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Got some evidence for that claim?

That Putin was a KGB agent?

i thought everyone knew that and I'm surprised that you don't.

but I will post a link if you insist.

PolWatch
09-18-2014, 03:52 PM

if so, he will be the first politician I have ever heard of that admitted they didn't keep their campaign promises, etc..... He would not be the first to have 'misspoke' (isn't that the acceptable political euphemism for lied?)

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 03:54 PM
That Putin was a KGB agent?

i thought everyone knew that and I'm surprised that you don't.

but I will post a link if you insist.

No, that Putin was loyal to the communist cause.

Peter1469
09-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Putin only made the equivalent of LTC in the KGB. Strange considering that all good party members made general if they didn't rock the boat.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 04:04 PM
No, that Putin was loyal to the communist cause.

He joined the KGB.

thats a pretty select organization that did not accept the ruskie version of Code Pink characters.

plus Putin belonged to the communist party for 16 years.

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 04:05 PM
He joined the KGB.

thats a pretty select organization that did not accept the ruskie version of Code Pink characters.

plus Putin belonged to the communist party for 16 years.

Everyone belonged to the Communist Party. It was the only party :rollseyes:

Here, do yourself a favor. Cut the crap and admit you have no facts to support your nonsense, and I'll help you pretend you never said it. Deal?

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Everyone belonged to the Communist Party. It was the only party :rollseyes:

Here, do yourself a favor. Cut the crap and admit you have no facts to support your nonsense, and I'll help you pretend you never said it. Deal?

Ill do you a favor and educate you with a history lesson.

the communist party was an elite organization and only a small percentage of soviet citizens belonged to it.

In most years no more than 4 or 5 million out of 300 million people.

https://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/CommunisUSSR

Green Arrow
09-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Ill do you a favor and educate you with a history lesson.

I stopped reading. I don't need your "education," Mac. Prove your statements or don't, but the moment you start to insult my intelligence is the moment I walk away.

Mac-7
09-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I stopped reading. I don't need your "education," Mac. Prove your statements or don't, but the moment you start to insult my intelligence is the moment I walk away.

Since you stopped reading you missed the proof I presented.

texan
09-18-2014, 04:32 PM
I am shocked that he talks and acts the way he does on this stuff (and people let him get away with it) and then constantly attempts to spin his way out. He won't say it because the left will go nuts on his ass!

I used this example on leadership earlier today for 3 sales regions (paraphrasing):

Tom Brady enters the huddle late in 4 qtr 1 touchdown behind: Guys its forth and 12 and we have been struggling, its gonna be real tough getting the first. We haven't had a real good week of practice and I don't agree with the play call. But lets go out and try.

NOT INSPIRING ANYONE MUCHLESS INSPIRING OF ANY CONFIDENCE

Leadership: Guys its 4th and 12. We got this, Gronk run the 15 yard out we do this in our sleep. We will get the first and drive down for the winning TD. We have done this a million times in our sleep. lets go getm boys!

Guys rise up.

Obama has no clue!

donttread
09-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Why, yes, yes I did.

The correct answer is NO