PDA

View Full Version : Here's What Happened When 13 States Raised Their Minimum Wages

Cigar
09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
n 2014, 13 states raised their minimum wages, five through legislation and eight through inflation indexing. Gould compared wage growth for the bottom 10 percent of Americans in those 13 states with the rest of America. In the former, real wages grew 0.9 percent, a non-negligible increase. In the remaining 37 states, real wages declined 0.1 percent. In other words, wage growth for the bottom 10 percent of Americans is entirely attributable to states that increased their minimum wages.

That’s good news, but it’s not unexpected. Conservatives largely concede that raising the minimum wage increases wages. They oppose it, they say, because it will reduce job growth. So, did that happen in those 13 states? Jared Bernstein, the former chief economist for Vice President Joe Biden and a senior fellow at the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, looked at the data. He found that job growth was higher in states that raised their minimum wages than it was in those that didn’t (1.8 percent versus 1.5 percent).

Bernstein is quick to point out the limitations of this data. “Now, these are all small changes and I wouldn’t make a federal case out of any of them,” he writes. But it’s also important to note that minimum wage hikes have not crippled job growth in those 13 states. When the Senate next votes on raising the national minimum wage—possibly in the next few weeks—that’s something Republicans should keep in mind.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119440/states-raised-their-minimum-wages-had-stronger-job-growth

Well ... so much for the Gloom & Doom Predictions :rollseyes:

http://www.nuclearworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sky-is-falling.jpg (http://www.nuclearworld.net/category/the-sky-is-falling/)

Mainecoons
09-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Here's a much more in depth discussion of this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/19/job-growth-picks-up-in-states-that-raised-minimum-wage/

How about that? Fox News reported the same thing but also including commentary from other economists.

It is clearly Constitutional for states to do this. If pushed too far could it have negative impacts? Certainly.

More importantly, our friend Cigar as usual leaves out the important part: Most of these were very small COL increases in states that already have minimum wages. We're talking pennies per hour here. Four states mandated increases and not surprisingly these are states that are losing jobs steadily: NY, CT, RI, and NJ.

Nine of the 13 states increased their minimum wages automatically in line with inflation: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont and Washington. Four more states — Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island — approved legislation mandating the increases.

And this:

For example, the number of jobs in North Dakota — which didn't raise the minimum wage and has prospered because of a boom in oil and gas drilling — rose 2.8 percent since the start of this year, the most of any state.

And of course not mentioned is that Obama wants to raise the minimum wage well above what exists in these states. To equate that to current levels and suggest that raising the minimum wage overnight by several dollars per hour is not only dishonest, it is stupid.

Peter1469
09-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Conservatives largely concede that raising the minimum wage increases wages.

Is that serious? :shocked: Well, it is the New Republic- a bastion of liberal idiots.

The sentence should not be there in the first place. No person believes that increases the minimum wage lowers wages. That is stupid. Maybe they were avoiding the real conservative argument, that raising the minimum wage will cost low skilled jobs. The article tries to show that isn't the case, but it fails. Job growth would likely have been higher without the minimum wage increase.

And again, why are we fixated on the minimum wage. It is for entry level positions. No person in the United States who actually cares about himself works at the minimum wage for more than 6 months.

Cigar
09-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Here's a much more in depth discussion of this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/19/job-growth-picks-up-in-states-that-raised-minimum-wage/

How about that? Fox News reported the same thing but also including commentary from other economists.

It is clearly Constitutional for states to do this. If pushed too far could it have negative impacts? Certainly.

More importantly, our friend Cigar as usual leaves out the important part: Most of these were very small COL increases in states that already have minimum wages. We're talking pennies per hour here. Four states mandated increases and not surprisingly these are states that are losing jobs steadily: NY, CT, RI, and NJ.

[/FONT]And this:

[/FONT]And of course not mentioned is that Obama wants to raise the minimum wage well above what exists in these states. To equate that to current levels and suggest that raising the minimum wage overnight by several dollars per hour is not only dishonest, it is stupid.

My post list the 13 States who didn't have a negative outcome ...

Please list YOUR States where it had a negative outcome ...

Mainecoons
09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
You're forgetting that if the minimum wage was raised to the levels proposed by that great destroyer of wealth, Barack Obama, a bunch of union wages would get jacked up too. That's the real agenda here.

This should only be addressed at the state level. Different states have different COL and one size does not fit all.

zelmo1234
09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
where is their a good outcome.

We have a shitty jobs market, there are 10 million fewer people working today that when President Obama took office. That is not a good thing

Mainecoons
09-18-2014, 03:28 PM
The way to really help the lower paid part of the working class is A MORATORIUM ON IMMIGRATION.

Barack Obama, that great enricher of the rich is, instead, flooding the country with more illegal immigrants to help hold down wages and increase desperation among the most needy part of the working class.

It is no accident that food stamp usage has exploded on his watch, it is a direct consequence of his destructive economic policies.

Peter1469
09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I actually like the idea of a $15 minimum wage. It will bankrupt fast food. That is a good thing. You sloppy people will have to find something else to jam down your gullets.

Bob
09-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Is that serious? :shocked: Well, it is the New Republic- a bastion of liberal idiots.

The sentence should not be there in the first place. No person believes that increases the minimum wage lowers wages. That is stupid. Maybe they were avoiding the real conservative argument, that raising the minimum wage will cost low skilled jobs. The article tries to show that isn't the case, but it fails. Job growth would likely have been higher without the minimum wage increase.

And again, why are we fixated on the minimum wage. It is for entry level positions. No person in the United States who actually cares about himself works at the minimum wage for more than 6 months.

Usually, well always actually, minimum wages are below poverty level.

Why would that be? They are part time jobs.

Seldom will a company hiring full time use minimum wages since they demand some skills.

Bob
09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
I actually like the idea of a $15 minimum wage. It will bankrupt fast food. That is a good thing. You sloppy people will have to find something else to jam down your gullets.

Hey, i can cook just as poorly as any fast food joint. LOL

Bob
09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
The way to really help the lower paid part of the working class is A MORATORIUM ON IMMIGRATION.

Barack Obama, that great enricher of the rich is, instead, flooding the country with more illegal immigrants to help hold down wages and increase desperation among the most needy part of the working class.

It is no accident that food stamp usage has exploded on his watch, it is a direct consequence of his destructive economic policies.

True and true and true and also true.

Gunny
09-18-2014, 03:44 PM
My post list the 13 States who didn't have a negative outcome ...

Please list YOUR States where it had a negative outcome ...

Short term effect claiming victory, then demanding long-term results that don't exist yet as a refutation. Gee, glad NO ONE on the left has ever played THAT dishonest little game before.

Peter1469
09-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey, i can cook just as poorly as any fast food joint. LOL

You would have to try really hard to do worse. You can't even buy the poor quality beef used at McDonalds at a grocery store.

Matty
09-18-2014, 04:01 PM

​he obama went down into Mexico to explain how foodstamps work and to sell them to illegals, how much blinder can the unemployed left get? Deaf, dumb, blind. Pretty damn bad.

PolWatch
09-18-2014, 04:03 PM
You're forgetting that if the minimum wage was raised to the levels proposed by that great destroyer of wealth, Barack Obama, a bunch of union wages would get jacked up too. That's the real agenda here.

This should only be addressed at the state level. Different states have different COL and one size does not fit all.

then I need to get a lawyer & sue somebody. My husband worked for a union for 30+ years & never got a raise when the min wage was raised...where do I apply?

Mainecoons
09-18-2014, 04:21 PM

Naw, they'll just replace all the help except for one or two with robots.

Mainecoons
09-18-2014, 04:22 PM
then I need to get a lawyer & sue somebody. My husband worked for a union for 30+ years & never got a raise when the min wage was raised...where do I apply?

This explains it pretty good for ya!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324048904578318541000422454

Gunny
09-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Which has been my question from the beginning of Obama pimping a National minimum wage. Does MY pay double as well? I'm a skilled and licensed tradesman. You're going to bring someone who can't speak English and flips burgers pay up and leave mine where it is?

I want my 100% pay increase as well.