PDA

View Full Version : RPG Games

kilgram
09-21-2014, 04:16 PM
What is the last RPG game have you played? The last RPG I've been playing is Dragon Age and I've started the Witcher.

What is your favourite RPG game of past decade (2000-2010)? The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind is my favourite game ofthat period.

What is the next RPG do you want to play? I don't know. Maybe Dragon Age II and III and The Witcher III.

What are the aspects that did you like more of those RPG? Would you recommend them and why? xD

I like Dragon Age, PC version because it has a lot of mods that improve the game... And also it has a lot of mature content.

The Witcher that I have started it... is a very violent game with a lot of mature topics like racism...

Peter1469
09-21-2014, 04:42 PM
I have not played any since AD&D in the 80s.

Ethereal
09-21-2014, 05:17 PM
The last RPG I played was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

My favorite RPG is Final Fantasy VII.

I'm not really sure what the next RPG I want to play is. I haven't really followed the genre since FFX-2, which I disliked intensely.

Matty
09-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Legend of Zelda. I played it with my grandson! :) long long time ago.

kilgram
09-21-2014, 06:32 PM

I'm not really sure what the next RPG I want to play is. I haven't really followed the genre since FFX-2, which I disliked intensely.
I am the weird guy who does not guy Japanese RPG games, aka, Final Fantasy :)

But I've seen the cinematographics of the videogame and are very good.

The Xl
09-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Last RPG played: I've replayed FF7 and Xenogears somewhat recently, but if you mean the last new RPG I played, it was FFX, back in 2001.

My favorite RPG: Well, of all time it's FF7, but from the time period you listed, 2000-2010, it would be FF9.

I don't really dig the RPG genre post playstation, tbh, so I'm not looking forward to any new ones.

Mister D
09-21-2014, 06:36 PM
I have not played any since AD&D in the 80s.

Same here. Loved it as a kid though.

Peter1469
09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Same here. Loved it as a kid though.

Me too.

kilgram
09-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Now, that I think... @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) you should know the Witcher, no? It is from your ancestry lands, Poland. :)

And have you read the books?

IMPress Polly
09-22-2014, 06:55 AM
kilgram wrote:
I am the weird guy who does not guy Japanese RPG games, aka, Final Fantasy :)

But I've seen the cinematographics of the videogame and are very good.

I think I'm the opposite of you when it comes to RPG preferences because RPGs of the Japanese tradition are just about all I play with respect to the genre. :tongue: It's because I prefer the story-centric approach and dislike the formal gamer community in general enough to prefer playing solo instead of MMO really. Unlike your average "JRPGer", I don't get into games just because of where they came from. I don't care for Xenoblade Chronicles, for example, because though it may be a game of Japanese origin and a big hit both there and here, I feel that it makes too many concessions to the more Western tradition of making RPGs revolve around exploration at the expense of quality storytelling. Conversely, I LOVE Child of Light despite the fact that it's of Canadian origin because it's story-driven and uses turn-based combat, much is more in line stylistically with the Japanese RPG tradition even though it's actually a Western game.

Final Fantasy XI (circa 1994) -- the first truly story-driven game in the genre -- was the first RPG I got really involved in and remains my all-time favorite game. The story-centric style of RPG really came into vogue between the mid-1990s and the mid-2000s sufficiently to define the genre itself for that generation. The times have changed since then; I simply haven't changed with them (at least in this area). I still prefer much the same types of games today that I did back then. Most people today though I think are more like you. They prefer Western-style, exploration-based RPGs and MMO-RPGs. So I guess I'm more stylistically on the fringy outskirts of the gaming community, still preferring a type of game that went out of style (at least here in the Western world) two console generations ago.

What is the last RPG game have you played?

Child of Light. (It's a multi-platform downloadable title. It's a single-player, side-scrolling, story-driven platforming-RPG with turn-based combat.) I LOVE it too! It currently stands as my favorite game since Okami (which came out in 2006)!

What is your favourite RPG game of past decade (2000-2010)?

Okami was my favorite RPG from that decade. The runner-up for me was Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, followed by Tales of Symphonia. All three came out in the mid-2000s (2004-06). Golden Sun and its sequel Golden Sun: The Lost Age (both of which date to the early 2000s) were also both truly exceptional RPGs from that decade though!

What is the next RPG do you want to play?

Fantasy Life for the Nintendo 3DS, which is due for a North American release on October 24th. It's a combination RPG and fantasy life simulation. It's been out in Japan for over a year now and has been hit there.

What are the aspects that did you like more of those RPG? Would you recommend them and why? xD

The story, the story, and the story! :smiley:

Matalese wrote:
Legend of Zelda. I played it with my grandson! :) long long time ago.

I'm a fan of the Zelda games too! Indeed I plan on getting the newest installment in the franchise, Hyrule Warriors, on Friday. :smiley: However, I do have to point out that the only RPG in the Zelda franchise is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, which qualifies as an action-RPG. Virtually all other Zelda games, including the original, are what are called adventure games. Adventure games are distinguished by the fact that they revolve around exploration and collecting things. Now most adventure games involve elements from other video game genres as well (e.g. most Zelda games involve substantial doses of puzzle-solving and games like Super Mario 64 (or Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy 1 and 2) and the Sonic Adventure games combine adventure with platforming elements) and it's possible for a game to be both an adventure title and an RPG, but RPGs can be distinguished by their use of an experience system whereby your character or characters (as applicable) increases in power and skill over time by "leveling up" and, aside from Zelda II, no other Zelda title to date uses an experience system. (In most RPGs, you gain experience points by defeating enemies in combat, but in some of my favorites (like Okami) you instead gain them by performing other tasks, like helping non-playable characters on side quests.) Just to clear up the semantics of genre definitions, for what it's worth.

Captain Obvious
09-22-2014, 07:54 AM

FFVII is my all time favorite, just started playing it again recently.

kilgram
09-22-2014, 08:54 AM
IMPress Polly

I am no different with the story. It is what is the most important for me in RPG games. But also the gameplay has a little part, and I am not very fun of turn style games and how is done the fighting in Japanese RPG games. I prefer real time.

Now, about the stories, the Occidental RPG have incredible stories and many are more similar to the RPG of table like the saga of Dungeons and Dragons: Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights...

And about the stories, there are games that are very complex, like movies, with politics, sex, racism topics being very important to the game. For example two of the games that I mentioned in the beginning: Dragon Age and The Witcher. The Witcher is a game based in the novels of the Polish writer Andrezj Sapkowski. The novels and the games (the third installment will be launched in February) are incredible and their stories are very good.

Also, other good games with good stories are the KOTOR saga and even in MMORPG form the story is not bad... Star Wars the Old Republic has very good story, with the limitations of MMORPG, but very good.

I don't believe that the difference of the story driven is so different in the Japanese or Occidental games. Both focus in the story... obviously told in different ways. But the biggest difference is the gameplay.

kilgram
09-22-2014, 08:55 AM
FFVII is my all time favorite, just started playing it again recently.
I should have to give another try to this game... but is starting to be a bit old.

By the way... the fans of FF, have you played all the installments? from FFI to the last one?

Captain Obvious
09-22-2014, 09:08 AM
I should have to give another try to this game... but is starting to be a bit old.

By the way... the fans of FF, have you played all the installments? from FFI to the last one?

I still have those old game cartridges somewhere.

Yeah, I played all the FF games up through VII. My wife bought me FFVII when my dad on an impulse bought all his "kids" (us) Playstations for Christmas one year and she knew I liked those old FF, Zelda, shit like that games.

I have 8 and 10 also I think but they sucked, never played them.

I bought the FFVII desktop version that was only released in Europe. It's hard to get running on most Windows platforms, really, really buggy. I've played it all the way through on an older computer but can't get it running with newer Window's versions but, you can get it on Steam for like ten bucks.

IMPress Polly
09-23-2014, 06:48 AM
@IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399)

I am no different with the story. It is what is the most important for me in RPG games. But also the gameplay has a little part, and I am not very fun of turn style games and how is done the fighting in Japanese RPG games. I prefer real time.

Now, about the stories, the Occidental RPG have incredible stories and many are more similar to the RPG of table like the saga of Dungeons and Dragons: Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights...

And about the stories, there are games that are very complex, like movies, with politics, sex, racism topics being very important to the game. For example two of the games that I mentioned in the beginning: Dragon Age and The Witcher. The Witcher is a game based in the novels of the Polish writer Andrezj Sapkowski. The novels and the games (the third installment will be launched in February) are incredible and their stories are very good.

Also, other good games with good stories are the KOTOR saga and even in MMORPG form the story is not bad... Star Wars the Old Republic has very good story, with the limitations of MMORPG, but very good.

I don't believe that the difference of the story driven is so different in the Japanese or Occidental games. Both focus in the story... obviously told in different ways. But the biggest difference is the gameplay.

Cool!

Well, just as an aside, here, as a reminder, is a collection of my broader thoughts on nature of storytelling in video games and what form thereof I think is best (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/29522-How-Can-Video-Games-Best-Tell-Stories).

I've have all the installments of the Final Fantasy main series to date, but not all the offshoots like all the Final Fantasy Tactics games and Final Fantasy Adventure and so forth. I think most people would agree that the overall best games in the series are FF 4 to 10. More recent titles are still pretty decent, but the franchise has reached a point where you almost kinda have to be a fan of the franchise to enjoy the newer installments because Square Enix seems to be running a little low on genuinely new ideas for it these days. Still, I appreciate the character Lightning from the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy more than I think most people do, I imagine simply because, whether I like it or not, I kind of relate to her stoicism. (I don't get why the series gets critiqued so heavily for her being that way. It's not like people critique MasterChief of the Halo games for featuring a generally similar (lack of) personality.) You might even be able to appreciate Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (the last installment in the FF XIII trilogy), as it turns to an open-world play format and uses real-time combat. My personal preference for turn-based combat is based on a preference for strategic, slower-paced battles that rely on brain power more than reflexes (as I don't have good reflexes). However, the battle system isn't a dividing-line issue for me at all; just a preference. For example, Okami is my third-favorite game of all time and it's an RPG that uses a semi-real-time combat system.

Captain Obvious wrote:
I have 8 and 10 also I think but they sucked, never played them.

How do you know the games suck if you've "never played them"? :wink:

kilgram
09-23-2014, 07:12 AM
MMM, in that post is mentioned Dark Souls, that would fit in my preferences of RPG and I believe that you like the story behind it.

Have you tried any of the recommendations that I said, like The Witcher, Dragon Age, KOTOR? You can get them in Steam and they are cheap.

For example, The Witcher, is the game that I am playing now, has a lot of interesting twists in the story. And every decission that you take have very deep consequences in the world. It makes very good the game. Also, the story expands the story of the books which is based in. I believe that the immersion in the world is pretty good. It is very different from other RPGs because you cannot choose how will be the character. Your charcter is who is, Geralt of Rivia and he already has some relationships and some character already defined in a world full of greys.

IMPress Polly
09-23-2014, 07:41 AM
I didn't say I liked Dark Souls' storylines. I just said that the series has invented a storytelling mechanic that I think is the most natural for the video game format; interactive storytelling. (I also argued that it's inferior to things like cut scenes and that that shows video games to be structurally inferior to some other artistic mediums in the storytelling department, since storytelling of the highest quality relies on abandoning the interactivity that distinguishes video games from films and books as an artistic medium.) But it's okay.

I have some interest in the Dragon Age franchise like I did Baldur's Gate, as one who likes the D&D style of game. :smiley:

I haven't yet given The Witcher a try! I will say that it doesn't look that interesting to me personally from what I've heard of it, BUT...hey, that's based on a lack of first-hand experience, so maybe I oughtta give a shot!

Codename Section
09-23-2014, 07:46 AM
I was made to play Skyrim and actually liked it. I became a viking type of warrior and hacked the shit out of some dragons.

IMPress Polly
09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
I'll admit that the Elder Scrolls games hold some aesthetic appeal to me too! They're just not quite my favorite games.

kilgram
09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
I'll admit that the Elder Scrolls games hold some aesthetic appeal to me too! They're just not quite my favorite games.
The story of the Elder Scrolls is not the best you will find.

For example if you are looking for games with good story, I recommend you Dragon Age series, and with a character premade the Witcher. Both have great stories and mature topics. And a thing that I like a lot, they are not linear games. Your choices affect to the story, and the different endings. In the Withcher almost from the beginning you have to take different paths that will bring to one situation or other to the kingdom. The same happens in Dragon Age series. And also both are a trilogy, and you can import your saves from previous games that will affect to the setting of the new game.

But what I like the most is how the choices affect the story, and mainly in the case of the Witcher, you have to choose between evils, maybe sometimes you will get the lesser evil, but there is no real good choice. In the case of Dragon Age, there are paths that lead you to be a "knight", paramount, and other paths or decissions that make you evil.

When you get used to stories with multiple choices, going back to linear stories with just one choice makes it boring. The good thing of these games is that you can replay them and you will experience a different story, things that you never saw the first time, because the path that you took didn't lead you to that.

PS: You said that you valorated the story, Dragon Age is a game story driven, it is a game that focus in the characters and their relationships and how they affect to their world. All bioware games have a lot of story immersion. If you are tired of fantasy, Mass Effect is a good recomendation as Sci-Fi.

The Xl
09-29-2014, 04:10 PM
I love all of the Final Fantasy games up until 10. 7 is my favorite, but I recently started playing 4 again. It's pretty damn good.

kilgram
09-29-2014, 05:54 PM
I looked for FF un Steam but they are expensive.

Safety
09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Last RPG played: I've replayed FF7 and Xenogears somewhat recently, but if you mean the last new RPG I played, it was FFX, back in 2001.

My favorite RPG: Well, of all time it's FF7, but from the time period you listed, 2000-2010, it would be FF9.

I don't really dig the RPG genre post playstation, tbh, so I'm not looking forward to any new ones.

I've played FF8, 9, and X, trying to get the same effect that FF7 had, but no luck. FF7 really is the best RPG I've ever played.

I like the Diablo series, but I don't know if you can really call it a true RPG.

EDIT - I think it's something like 40 hours to beat FF7 and that's without doing most of the side missions.

The Xl
09-29-2014, 06:01 PM
I've played FF8, 9, and X, trying to get the same effect that FF7 had, but no luck. FF7 really is the best RPG I've ever played.

I like the Diablo series, but I don't know if you can really call it a true RPG.

EDIT - I think it's something like 40 hours to beat FF7 and that's without doing most of the side missions.

I enjoyed 8, 9, and 10, they were all quite good, especially 9, but they fall short of 7. Truly a revolutionary game. I'd give my left nut for a PS4 remake.

Final fantasy 4 and 6 are quite good if you can stomach Snes graphics.

The Xl
09-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I looked for FF un Steam but they are expensive.

How much is 7 on steam?

kilgram
09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
I know prices in Euro. 11.99 EUR.

The Xl
09-29-2014, 07:48 PM
That's not terrible. A little much for an older game, but I think it's worth it.

kilgram
09-30-2014, 01:59 AM
That's not terrible. A little much for an older game, but I think it's worth it.
All FF that are in Steam cost that :) FFIV, too.

Other games that I downloaded that they are already a bit old were much cheaper. :)

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition 4.99€ and The Witcher 7.99€. Much more affordable.

IMPress Polly
09-30-2014, 05:58 AM
The XI wrote:
I enjoyed 8, 9, and 10, they were all quite good, especially 9, but they fall short of 7. Truly a revolutionary game. I'd give my left nut for a PS4 remake.

Final fantasy 4 and 6 are quite good if you can stomach Snes graphics.

I thought FF IX was pretty creative too, though I do think they took the theater-based storytelling format a little far, which made it occasionally difficult to follow.

Lots of people are saying FF VII and VIII were their favorites. Those are both excellent (and yes, revolutionary) games. Here's where they fall with me in terms of let's say my 15 favorite games ever. (And I own many hundreds, incidentally.)

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Beyond Good and Evil
3. Okami
4. Wonder Project J2: Josette of the Corlo Forrest
5. Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Child of Light
8. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
9. Tales of Symphonia
10. Lunar: Eternal Blue
11. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
13. Final Fantasy VII
14. Final Fantasy VIII
15. Secret of Mana

The Xl
09-30-2014, 09:36 AM
FF6 and Chrono Trigger were pretty damn good too. I haven't played them in a while, I should when I finish FF4. Always intended to play Lunar but never got to it.

IMPress Polly
09-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Good idea on the replays!

May I recommend the PlayStation versions of the Lunar games? Those are the best versions, IMO.

Alyosha
10-11-2014, 10:56 AM
What is the last RPG game have you played? The last RPG I've been playing is Dragon Age and I've started the Witcher.

:)

What is your favourite RPG game of past decade (2000-2010)? The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind is my favourite game ofthat period.

Morrowind and Skyrim are equal in my eyes. Oblivion was an inferior game to them.

What is the next RPG do you want to play? I don't know. Maybe Dragon Age II and III and The Witcher III.

Dragon Age Inquisition. :)

I like Dragon Age, PC version because it has a lot of mods that improve the game... And also it has a lot of mature content.

The Witcher that I have started it... is a very violent game with a lot of mature topics like racism...

Open world gaming, medieval periods, magic...

kilgram
10-12-2014, 06:02 AM
:)

Morrowind and Skyrim are equal in my eyes. Oblivion was an inferior game to them.

Dragon Age Inquisition. :)

Open world gaming, medieval periods, magic...
Have you played the Witcher?

I have too many games to buy now... The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition xD

I've already finished the Witcher and now I've started to play The Witcher 2... Gog/Steam orders :)

And offtopic: Have you read the books of the Witcher. Do you know Andrezj Sapwowsky?

Alyosha
10-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Have you played the Witcher?

I have too many games to buy now... The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition xD

I've already finished the Witcher and now I've started to play The Witcher 2... Gog/Steam orders :)

And offtopic: Have you read the books of the Witcher. Do you know Andrezj Sapwowsky?

Yes and yes. :)

I just didn't like not being able to play a female. You know me.

kilgram
10-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Yes and yes. :)

I just didn't like not being able to play a female. You know me.
haha. Well... I also like playing as many roles possible. But that is based in the story of Geralt.

By the way. I am curious. When you have the opportunity to play a game that is in the three languages that you know: Russian, Polish and English with what language do you play?

I played The Witcher in Russian subbed in Spanish.

CAPUSAFcadet23
10-13-2014, 10:50 AM
I have never played an RPG until earlier this year back in January. Mass Effect. And it got just gave me a hunger for more space opera/Sci Fi. Before that I was not into Star Trek or Star Wars.

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Ff was fun. The movie sucked assume.