PDA

View Full Version : The rich are different — and not in a good way, studies suggest

Mister D
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Psychologist and social scientist Dacher Keltner says the rich really are different, and not in a good way: Their life experience makes them less empathetic, less altruistic, and generally more selfish.

In fact, he says, the philosophical battle over economics, taxes, debt ceilings and defaults that are now roiling the stock market is partly rooted in an upper class "ideology of self-interest."

“We have now done 12 separate studies measuring empathy in every way imaginable, social behavior in every way, and some work on compassion and it’s the same story,” he said. “Lower class people just show more empathy, more prosocial behavior, more compassion, no matter how you look at it.”

In an academic version of a Depression-era Frank Capra movie, Keltner and co-authors of an article called “Social Class as Culture: The Convergence of Resources and Rank in the Social Realm,” published this week in the journal Current Directions in Psychological Science, argue that “upper-class rank perceptions trigger a focus away from the context toward the self….”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44084236/ns/health-behavior/

Conley
08-10-2011, 04:16 PM
MSNBC with an article against the rich? Another shocker! >:D

Seems the article defines rich as individuals earning over $90,000? Hard to get a read on the where the "studies" put it.

Captain Obvious
08-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I've seen studies on this concept and I don't remember them coming from agenda driven lefties. The thought is that regular people are more connected with less-than-regular people and on the surface that makes sense to me.

I don't know how accurate the broad concept is but I know a few rich people. Some are very compassionate and some not so much.

Conley
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I've seen studies on this concept and I don't remember them coming from agenda driven lefties. The thought is that regular people are more connected with less-than-regular people and on the surface that makes sense to me.

I don't know how accurate the broad concept is but I know a few rich people. Some are very compassionate and some not so much.

Like so many studies, I think it comes down to how you define the target group (in this case, the rich) and what sort of sample size you are using. I think generalizations about the rich or the poor are pretty useless.

freecell
08-11-2011, 12:11 AM
well I am not what people would consider poor. But I admit I like down to earth people. Wasn't raised with money.

MMC
08-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah And I would not consider people who are making 90,000 as rich. Thats for one thing. Myself I think i have lived practically in every social realm there is. When I was around those who were rich. I think it is like the Cap said some Rich Class people really do give a damn and care about of a lot of issues. Which they give to her even their time to. Then there are others who str-8 up don't give a damn for their fellow human being.

To the latter it is a dog eat dog world.