PDA

View Full Version : Old Vets

Gunny
09-25-2014, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine got this via email;

I am over 65 and the Armed Forces think I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing back to front.
Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.
For starters, researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a month, leaving us around 267,840 additional seconds per month to concentrate on the enemy.
Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' We are bad-tempered and impatient, and maybe letting us kill some fanatic that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.
An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the heck. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep but since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatic.
If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.
Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from all the screaming and yelling.
They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any push-ups after completing basic training.
Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy; too ... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet!
An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.
These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.
Let us old guys track down those terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million ticked off
Old Farts with bad attitudes and automatic weapons, who know that their best years are already behind them.
HEY!! How about recruiting women over 50...in menopause!!! You think MEN have attitudes?? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my!!! If nothing else, put them on border patrol. They'll have it secured the first night!
Send this to all of your senior friends...it's in big type so they can read it.

Cigar
09-25-2014, 05:08 PM
You're kidding right Pops ... ?

Gunny
09-25-2014, 05:23 PM
You're kidding right Pops ... ?

I ain't even close to 65 years old, bubba.

But you keep on thinking whatever you want. I wouldn't even bother with the likes of you. I'd have to convince that 65 years old SgtMaj he didn't need to tie one hand behind his back to take you out. If you're lucky, some cop would be around to shoot him. After all, he's black.

CreepyOldDude
09-26-2014, 05:05 PM

I am over 65 and the Armed Forces think I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing back to front.
Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.
For starters, researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a month, leaving us around 267,840 additional seconds per month to concentrate on the enemy.
Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' We are bad-tempered and impatient, and maybe letting us kill some fanatic that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.
An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the heck. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep but since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatic.
If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.
Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from all the screaming and yelling.
They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any push-ups after completing basic training.
Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy; too ... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet!
An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.
These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.
Let us old guys track down those terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million ticked off
Old Farts with bad attitudes and automatic weapons, who know that their best years are already behind them.
HEY!! How about recruiting women over 50...in menopause!!! You think MEN have attitudes?? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my!!! If nothing else, put them on border patrol. They'll have it secured the first night!

Well, I'm 69, and I think about sex all the time. Can't do as much about it as I could back in the day, but I still think about it. :)

Gunny
09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Well, I'm 69, and I think about sex all the time. Can't do as much about it as I could back in the day, but I still think about it. :)

Well, look at your userID. I'd expect you would be. ;)

nathanbforrest45
10-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Someone asked me if I liked oral sex. I said, sure, talking about it is all I can do anymore anyway!:grin:

Bob
10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I am 76 and raring to go. Do not believe it ended past the age you got married.

nathanbforrest45
10-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I don't know Bob, it has been said that science has designed a food that eliminates the sex drive in women. Its called Wedding Cake.

Bob
10-05-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't know Bob, it has been said that science has designed a food that eliminates the sex drive in women. Its called Wedding Cake.

:grampa::rofl:

Philly Rabbit
10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Older men are not going to be able to take the rigors and stamina needed for combat duty. Plus they're not going to volunteer for anything, they're too set in their ways.

sachem
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Older men are not going to be able to take the rigors and stamina needed for combat duty. Plus they're not going to volunteer for anything, they're too set in their ways.You couldn't even appreciate a funny post. You are an old fart.

sachem
10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't know Bob, it has been said that science has designed a food that eliminates the sex drive in women. Its called Wedding Cake.;)

Bob
10-30-2014, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=sachem;818274]You couldn't even appreciate a funny post. You are an old fart.[/QUOTE sachem

I am an old fart and I love reading the funny things PolWatch says all the time. Why don't you try to be as funny as she is?

sachem
10-30-2014, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=sachem;818274]You couldn't even appreciate a funny post. You are an old fart.[/QUOTE @sachem (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=974)

I am an old fart and I love reading the funny things @PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099) says all the time. Why don't you try to be as funny as she is?I'm funnier. Though I love her humor.

Bob
10-30-2014, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Bob;818282]I'm funnier. Though I love her humor.

We will see if you are funnier or not. Start today.

She has a way with words that gives me the giggles. I end up telling the office what she says.

sachem
10-30-2014, 03:37 PM
We will see if you are funnier or not. Start today.

She has a way with words that gives me the giggles. I end up telling the office what she says.I am funnier. She is very funny.

Philly Rabbit
10-31-2014, 07:03 AM
You couldn't even appreciate a funny post. You are an old fart.

I'm also a Vietnam combat veteran and you are an insulting little twit.

sachem
10-31-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm also a Vietnam combat veteran and you are an insulting little twit.Thank you for your service. You still are an old fart.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm also a Vietnam combat veteran and you are an insulting little twit.

Most people in the military have a fucking sense of humor, and treat other members of the military with respect. Hell even Sage of Main Street our resident Vietnam era marine doesn't shit on all of us and he's fucking crazy. What the fuck happened to you?

Captain Obvious
10-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Thank you for your service. You still are an old fart.

Being a combat vet doesn't give someone a license to be a complete asshole.

I think it's all an act. Some people are just... off like that, they get off with this kind of attention.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Being a combat vet doesn't give someone a license to be a complete asshole.

I think you're wrong, sir. It's in the contract. It explicitly says that I get to be a complete asshole now.

Philly Rabbit
10-31-2014, 11:58 AM
Thank you for your service. You still are an old fart.

And you're still an insulting little twit. And don't thank me for anything mainly because you don't really mean it. Your second sentence, your insult, that you meant.

sachem
10-31-2014, 12:02 PM
And you're still an insulting little twit. And don't thank me for anything mainly because you don't really mean it. Your second sentence, your insult, that you meant.I do mean it. And your rudeness proves the validity of my second sentence.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
And you're still an insulting little twit. And don't thank me for anything mainly because you don't really mean it. Your second sentence, your insult, that you meant.

Proving once again for one and all that if you're a conservative agitator on this forum you never get banned. Just sayin' Matalese

Venus
10-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Older men are not going to be able to take the rigors and stamina needed for combat duty. Plus they're not going to volunteer for anything, they're too set in their ways.

Your like a wet blanket.

Matty
10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Proving once again for one and all that if you're a conservative agitator on this forum you never get banned. Just sayin' @Matalese (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=796)
Start a petition to get me banned ass warp!

Codename Section
10-31-2014, 01:11 PM

You cuss better than anyone. :)

Codename Section
10-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Alright everyone reacquaint yourselves with the rules. No calling each other names. No taunts or bad faith posting.

Philly Rabbit
10-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I do mean it. And your rudeness proves the validity of my second sentence.

My rudeness eh, you don't give a damn about anything past your own nose. Cut the: Thank you for your whatever.

There's nothing rude about being an age bigot and who doesn't know that?

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
My rudeness eh, you don't give a damn about anything past your own nose. Cut the: Thank you for your whatever.

Jesus H. Christ, she's your age, nimrod.

sachem
10-31-2014, 02:03 PM

Jesus H. Christ, she's your age, nimrod.Yeah. I'm old, too. 58. Just 2 weeks ago.

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Yeah. I'm old, too. 58. Just 2 weeks ago.

That's not old-old. This chick is 4 years younger than you and I'd do her.

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/moore-sag/julianne-moore-sag-awards-2013-01.jpg

sachem
10-31-2014, 02:12 PM

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/moore-sag/julianne-moore-sag-awards-2013-01.jpgMe too.

Kidding :D

Animal Mother
10-31-2014, 02:29 PM
I like redheads

PolWatch

Captain Obvious
10-31-2014, 02:29 PM

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/moore-sag/julianne-moore-sag-awards-2013-01.jpg

Ayep

sachem
10-31-2014, 02:31 PM
Is that Julianne Moore?

PolWatch
10-31-2014, 02:32 PM
I like redheads

nope...ain't buying it...you reminded me that you didn't pick me for your team....sniffle...<checking for ammo box>

@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099)

Captain Obvious
10-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Is that Julianne Moore?

..or less

Philly Rabbit
11-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Yeah. I'm old, too. 58. Just 2 weeks ago.

............ New England.

................ Next!

PolWatch
11-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Philly - you are obviously an intelligent person...instead of wanting to stand on a soapbox & lecture everyone, why not climb down & join the discussions? Some folks here (not me, of course) are a little odd, but who wants vanilla ice cream everyday? :wink:

Peter1469
11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Vanilla ice cream is my favorite. :smiley:

sachem
11-01-2014, 08:58 AM
............ New England.

................ Next!I accept your apology.

Gunny
11-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Yeah? Piss me off. Then call me old. See how that works for you.

Philly Rabbit
11-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah? Piss me off. Then call me old. See how that works for you.

Do you think a 40 year old man is old? I don't.

Do you think a 40 year old man is too old for combat training? I do.

Do you think a 65 year old man is too old to feed pigeons in the park?

Peter1469
11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Why?

Bob
11-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Depends on the man and his condition.

Take Jack Lalanne for instance when he was alive

That guy was a stud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

Bob
11-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I accept your apology.

By all means, count me in. I accept your apology. It is only fair I do that. sachem

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Depends on the man and his condition.

Take Jack Lalanne for instance when he was alive

That guy was a stud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

The only reason the enlistment age keeps getting raised is because it's an all volunteer military. The military is a young man's organization. It's the same thing with athletes. It's a physically demanding organization that requires stamina and endurance for combat situations and youthful soldiers to perform them.

Allowing handicaps doesn't change these facts.

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Why?

Tell me why the enlistment requirement age range isn't 40 to 60.

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 08:41 AM
If a man, 40 to 60, wants to join or re-join the military, he should be free to try....I think that all should be required to meet the same requirements. This is the same as my feelings on women in combat situations, if they can't perform the same duties, they don't belong in the unit. Other members should not be put at risk because of lower requirements in the name of equality. If a candidate can't run X miles carrying a pack weighing X lbs...they don't belong there...just the same as the 20 year old recruits.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Tell me why the enlistment requirement age range isn't 40 to 60.

I never said it should be. I said that a 40 year old man can do well in training and combat. Of course that is someone who has not let themselves fall apart as they aged.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
If a man, 40 to 60, wants to join or re-join the military, he should be free to try....I think that all should be required to meet the same requirements. This is the same as my feelings on women in combat situations, if they can't perform the same duties, they don't belong in the unit. Other members should not be put at risk because of lower requirements in the name of equality. If a candidate can't run X miles carrying a pack weighing X lbs...they don't belong there...just the same as the 20 year old recruits.

The PT test is scaled for age and gender- but the requirements go up from 18 until the late 30s than start going down.

Other requirements like road march times are one-size fits all. But are pretty easy, like 12 miles with 70lbs in under 3 hours (at least in infantry units).

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 11:38 AM
I never said it should be. I said that a 40 year old man can do well in training and combat. Of course that is someone who has not let themselves fall apart as they aged.

The army knows that. And it's easier ( with less danger to themselves) for a 20 year old to get in shape for combat than a 40 year old in much less the time.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 11:39 AM
The army knows that. And it's easier ( with less danger to themselves) for a 20 year old to get in shape for combat than a 40 year old in much less the time.

I was only speaking for 40 yr olds already in shape....

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 11:44 AM

What's the cut off age now? It may very well be 40 now.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
What's the cut off age now? It may very well be 40 now.

I think 42 to enlist. But with the draw down in the force, most applicants are turned away anyway.

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I think 42 to enlist. But with the draw down in the force, most applicants are turned away anyway.

that's why Reacher is roaming the country, saving everyone out of uniform!

Gunny
11-02-2014, 01:20 PM

I could still destroy most of the people in my unit when I was 40. So no. I was bigger, stronger, faster tougher, definitely meaner ...

I retired because I was sick of being used as a political tool.

And I'll tell you this ... when I'm pissed ... to this day ... all those aches and pains are gone and you'll last maybe 3 seconds if you're good. Like right now.

And I'm WAY more treacherous than you because I've learned every dirty trick in the book, and then some.

Answer your question?

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I could still destroy most of the people in my unit when I was 40. So no. I was bigger, stronger, faster tougher, definitely meaner ...

And I'll tell you this ... when I'm pissed ... to this day ... all those aches and pains are gone and you'll last maybe 3 seconds if you're good. Like right now.

And I'm WAY more treacherous than you because I've learned every dirty trick in the book, and then some.

Answer your question?

<stretching arm out as far as I can reach> uh...can I offer you some chocolate?

Gunny
11-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Ever tried to have a polite discourse with a hornet?

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm from the south...y'all be sweet now, hear? :wink:

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 08:02 PM

Answer your question?

All that coffee and all those donuts over the years have turned you into a virtual killing machine, got it.

Now just for laughs, take a bugle down to the old soldiers home and blow the Calvary charge then get back to me and tell me what happened.

Philly Rabbit
11-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Another factor: Don't think that the army doesn't figure in a stroke or a heart attack suffered by an older man which could result in endangering his entire squad during a battle with this much less likely to happen to a younger man.

Alyosha
11-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Does it really matter? Seriously.

Shadow
11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
All that coffee and all those donuts over the years have turned you into a virtual killing machine, got it.

Now just for laughs, take a bugle down to the old soldiers home and blow the Calvary charge then get back to me and tell me what happened.
Gunny doesn't eat sweets and he is still in great shape. Infact... I know several marines that still are and that could kick the ass of men 20 years younger. Infact ...several are active duty firemen. Do you even have a point or what?

The Xl
11-02-2014, 08:56 PM
A 35 year old should be more overall physically potent than an 18 year old imo. There is the issue of natural athletic decline, but having trained for nearly two extra decades than an 18 year old should offset that. The 18 year old should have better recovery though and energy levels though. Anything past 35, and the average 18 year old would have the advantage, on average, I'd think.

To say 35 should be the min age is kinda crazy. Their will be a point where age will win and you'll be at the point of diminishing returns, won't be able to recover, etc.

Alyosha
11-02-2014, 09:10 PM
This was like a joke thread and Philly had to go all be serious and shit?

Philly Rabbit
11-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Does it really matter? Seriously.

You don't know what you're talking about little goody, you should seriously stay out of this.

Philly Rabbit
11-03-2014, 07:57 AM
A 35 year old should be more overall physically potent than an 18 year old imo. There is the issue of natural athletic decline, but having trained for nearly two extra decades than an 18 year old should offset that. The 18 year old should have better recovery though and energy levels though. Anything past 35, and the average 18 year old would have the advantage, on average, I'd think.

To say 35 should be the min age is kinda crazy. Their will be a point where age will win and you'll be at the point of diminishing returns, won't be able to recover, etc.

I think it was 33 or 35 when I was in. But there was also an active draft at the time and the government had an entire national pool of young men to pick and choose from also which needs to be considered about the age cutoff limit at that time.

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Not many 20 year olds in shape. Rampant obesity is forcing recruiters to turn many applicants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/29/army-recruiting-obesity/14798757/
The obesity epidemic among young adults has become a weighty problem (http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140827/NEWS/308270075/Recruit-command-boss-Overweight-youth-growing-problem) for Army Recruiting Command, leaving its commander, Maj. Gen. Allen Batschelet, to seek answers.
More than 71% of America's youth would fail to qualify for military service because of their physical, moral or cognitive shortcomings, according to recruiting command statistics. But their weight is a leading reason, and it's getting worse.

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 08:04 AM
As for recruiting older Americans to serve our nation, I would favor both the traditional route of recruiting young kids, but also the establishment of a Geezer Brigade. Train them to drive panel trucks and small aircraft for kamikaze runs on enemy targets. Go out with a bang.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 08:12 AM
planned obsolescence? hmmm...don't think THAT idea will catch on...

Philly Rabbit
11-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Gunny doesn't eat sweets and he is still in great shape. Infact... I know several marines that still are and that could kick the ass of men 20 years younger. Infact ...several are active duty firemen. Do you even have a point or what?

In all seriousness and I'm not kidding this time. The man sounds like to me that he's having emotional problems. What he needs to do is join the VA healthcare system if he hasn't already. He should go to the American Legion website and from there, find his local chapter post. They will connect him with a VA councilor.

The American Legion is doing outstanding work helping veterans with all sorts of issues and they're especially helpful in this area. I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'm serious and this issue is a serious issue for all combat veterans.

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Looks like someone's meds are working this morning. Awesome!

Alyosha
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
In all seriousness and I'm not kidding this time. The man sounds like to me that he's having emotional problems. What he needs to do is join the VA healthcare system if he hasn't already. He should go to the American Legion website and from there, find his local chapter post. They will connect him with a VA councilor.

The American Legion is doing outstanding work helping veterans with all sorts of issues and they're especially helpful in this area. I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'm serious and this issue is a serious issue for all combat veterans.

You were stating just the other day your contempt for those who had issues stemming from war. What changed?

Shadow
11-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Gunny is just fine. But ...if you don't like the final result in training young men to be killers ...then sending them home to deal with the out come on their own... Then stop sending them to fight useless wars.

Philly Rabbit
11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
You were stating just the other day your contempt for those who had issues stemming from war. What changed?

You know, you and your new airborne temporary boyfriend should really stay out of this because you both don't have a clue. If Gunny is a Vietnam marine, then Gunny is my brother. All Vietnam marines are my brothers. All in country, U.S. military are my brothers. YOU are a selfish little twit on the other hand whom cannot even begin to comprehend what that really means.

I have genuine concern for Gunny, I care about him, truly care about him. And I could care less about you and your royal internet carriage.

Have a nice day.

Alyosha
11-03-2014, 11:53 AM
You know, you and your new airborne temporary boyfriend should really stay out of this because you both don't have a clue. If Gunny is a Vietnam marine, then Gunny is my brother. All Vietnam marines are my brothers. All in country, U.S. military are my brothers. YOU are a selfish little twit on the other hand whom cannot even begin to comprehend what that really means.

I have genuine concern for Gunny, I care about him, truly care about him. And I could care less about you and your royal internet carriage.

Have a nice day.

my airborne boyfriend? The USMC should give me a medal for all the marines I've put up with.

Adelaide
11-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Philly Rabbit has been thread banned. Everyone else - no insults.

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
http://www.militarylulz.com/image/militaryfunny/small/1206/-military-funny-1339684973.jpg

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
http://cdn.motinetwork.net/militarylulz.com/image/militaryfunny/1201/-military-funny-1325769027.jpg

Max Rockatansky
11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
http://oneoldvet.com/images/mag_header.png

Captain Obvious
11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

@Matalese (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=796) - what was that you were saying about insults?

Matty
11-04-2014, 11:49 AM
@Matalese (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=796) - what was that you were saying about insults?
Hello?

Captain Obvious
11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Hello?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdTRq3lxnXA

Common
11-05-2014, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;776793]A friend of mine got this via email;

Send this to all of your senior friends...it's in big type so they can read it.[/QUOTE

Haha I liked that.