PDA

View Full Version : Misunderstanding al-Qaeda

Ransom
09-26-2014, 08:50 AM
On Tuesday, Sept. 23, the US government announced that a new bombing campaign was under way in Syria. The Obama administration had been building the case for airstrikes for weeks. The president and his surrogates repeatedly highlighted the threat posed by the Islamic State (often called the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL), which has captured large swaths of territory across Iraq and Syria. Unexpectedly, the administration announced that American missiles had also struck something called the "Khorasan group," which was in the final stages of planning attacks in the West. The group may even have been close to striking inside the United States.

The Administration unable to admit that al-Qaeda was never 'on the run' but..prospering elsewhere. This 'Khorasan group' is al-Qaeda....plotting attacks against the West from inside Syria while most of our participants in here are on the record...repeatedly...claiming Syria isn't relevant nor should we even be paying attention.

Widespread confusion ensued.

No shit, you should have read this forum.....embarrassing.

The press wondered aloud, "What is the Khorasan group?" It is a "new" terrorist organization, some reported. It is an "al Qaeda offshoot," others claimed. All of the following descriptors were used of the group: "little-known," "shadowy," "mysterious," "previously unknown."
But you have heard of the Khorasan group before. It is, to put it simply, al Qaeda.

In other words this Khorasan Group = al-Qaeda....this name given to the media produced it's intended confusion. When will American INNs stop being sheepish and dovelike and understand this threat. And given this threat......that was wholsale know about.....why would anyone think it would be wise then to withdraw from Iraq? What..........easily convinced consitituents we have...what.....a shame.

Ayman al Zawahiri, the head of al Qaeda, ordered trusted operatives from Afghanistan, Chechnya, Iran, Pakistan, Yemen, and North Africa to relocate to Syria. Some of the al Qaeda operatives involved are so notorious that US counterterrorism officials have tracked them, off and on, for more than a decade.
Zawahiri tasked his men with plotting mass-casualty attacks in the West. And, al Qaeda reasoned, Syria offered distinct advantages over other prospective launching pads. Until the US-led military intervention, al Qaeda's terrorists had established safe havens inside the country that allowed them to set up laboratories and bomb-making factories for testing new explosive devices. Western counterterrorism defenses have made it difficult for al Qaeda to get bombs on board planes and well-trained operatives in place to carry out their missions. So the terrorists are seeking undetectable explosives, like the underwear bomb that nearly took down a Detroit-bound plane on Christmas Day 2009.
The number of Western foreign fighters inside Syria today is unprecedented, providing al Qaeda with a deep pool of recruits. Many Western fighters have gone off to fight for Jabhat al Nusrah, al Qaeda's official branch in Syria. Al Qaeda was sorting through these fighters looking for dedicated and skilled jihadists like the members of the Hamburg cell that produced the kamikaze pilots responsible for attacking New York and Washington on 9/11. Syria also offers a geographic advantage. It is much easier for al Qaeda recruits to travel to and from Syria than, say, the remote regions of Afghanistan and northern Pakistan. Indeed, American and European counterterrorism authorities are already attempting to track hundreds of fighters who have returned to the West from Syria.
It is easy to see why Ayman al Zawahiri and his subordinates decided to establish a new base of operations in Syria. Why, then, did US officials and reporters have such a hard time, at first, explaining that the airstrikes targeting the Khorasan group were really just part of our long war against al Qaeda?
The confusion is no accident. The way President Obama, his subordinates, and some US intelligence officials think and talk about al Qaeda is wrong.

And let us not ever forget who is behind this Khorasan group distraction.......it's the Obama Administration...with support from the millions of American INNs....who don't understand this planet, nor its' geopolitics, nor the threats we face. Shame on our head in the sand INNs nation-wide. Read the article...it's quite enlightening.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/09/misunderstanding_al.php#ixzz3EQf2Gk2J

exotix
09-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Actually, this woman was the first ISIS / Khorasan Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Hearst

http://i61.tinypic.com/2n0vx48.jpg

Private Pickle
09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Actually, this woman was the first ISIS / Khorasan Group.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2n0vx48.jpg

I like the peacock snake in the background...

Ransom
09-26-2014, 08:59 AM
I see that "misunderstanding" was good vocabulary to use. All I did was quote it.....and examples are freely given.

Let me just include that this is just one way I appreciate my fellow members. When there is an article given, often when I link to an article.....there follows an immediate example of exactly what the article addresses. It's amazing...and appreciated.

:biglaugh:

Peter1469
09-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Khorasan is a historical region. Like the Levant. It encompasses northeastern Iran, southern Turkmenistan and northern Afghanistan (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/25/the-strange-story-behind-the-khorasan-groups-name/).

There was old Islamic prophecy (historians are not sure if it was a valid belief) that in the end times black banners would come out of the Khorasan and take over the Middle East, to include Jerusalem.

This group doesn't call itself the Khorasan Group. They are survivors of al Qaeda prime. And their only goal is transnational terrorism.

http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2014/09/khorasanWV-1024x614.jpg