PDA

View Full Version : GOP debate tomorrow

Mister D
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I think I'm going for a few beers and wings with a couple friends but I should be back in time to catch the second 1/2. I'm interested in watching this. I am becoming increasingly confident that BO is done for so I'd liek a strong candidate to get behind.

Conley
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I need someone to cheer for.

Any idea who is participating?

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Michele Bachmann
Mitt Romney
Tim Pawlenty
Jon Huntsmann
Ron Paul
Herman Cain
Newt Gingrich
Rick Santorum

Seven Republican presidential contenders will try to use Thursday's debate, sponsored by Fox News and the Washington Examiner, in the leadoff caucus state of Iowa to cast themselves as the strongest alternative to one rival: front-runner Mitt Romney.

A Fox News Poll released Wednesday showed that the former Massachusetts Gov. remains Republican primary voters’ preferred candidate.

But all risk being overshadowed by one Republican who won't be on the stage -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who has signaled he's likely to join the field in the coming days and will visit the early nominating states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina this weekend.

Coming off a national day of prayer for America forum last weekend, Perry is acceptable to most socially conservative Republicans worried about family issues such as abortion and birth control.

At least two declared candidates -- Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Gov. Tim Pawlenty, both of Minnesota -- are hoping for a last-minute boost before an important weekend test vote that could make or break their campaigns.

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is looking to make a strong impression in his first debate, while Texas Rep. Ron Paul is out to prove his libertarian ideas are more mainstream than fringe.

Others struggling to gain traction -- former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, ex-Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and businessman Herman Cain -- are simply seeking to promote their issues and maybe even boost their profiles.

"This is the official opening of the season," said Republican strategist Terry Holt. "It's the debut and you better have your best stuff ready. That raises the stakes."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/11/republicans-look-to-debate-for-last-minute-boost/#ixzz1UjIVygxq

Mister D
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Perry won't be there? I was interested in hearing him.

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM

He's being coy. I hate when politicians do this crap.

"Do you want me? Do you really want me? Tell me you want me..."

::)

Just man up and get in there. I've no patience this morning. ;D

Mister D
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM

He's being coy. I hate when politicians do this crap.

"Do you want me? Do you really want me? Tell me you want me..."

::)

Just man up and get in there. I've no patience this morning. ;D

I'll still watch it for a bit. Hopefully it comes on at 9 instead of 8. Then again, I'm sure they will air it multiple times even tonight.

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
The article says seven contenders but lists eight names.

Is that a mistake or is Fox News just acknowledging that Ron Paul has no chance?

;D

Mister D
08-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Is that a mistake or is Fox News just acknowledging that Ron Paul has no chance?

;D

Dennis Miller made a good point about this last night on O'Reilly's show. How can we just dismiss people like Ron Paul. Look who we actually elected. :D

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM

;D

Dennis Miller made a good point about this last night on O'Reilly's show. How can we just dismiss people like Ron Paul. Look who we actually elected. :D

:D True. I have no doubt Ron Paul would have been a better president. Things would be crazy right now, but they'd be better imo.

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
It's not a real debate unless they invite Jimmy McMillan to tell it like it is.

Mister D
08-11-2011, 09:42 AM

;D

:D True. I have no doubt Ron Paul would have been a better president. Things would be crazy right now, but they'd be better imo.

The time is ripe for someone like Paul, IMHO. :o

Conley
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree. I would have voted for him last time around but went Libertarian. This time who knows (other than not Obama, obviously).

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree. I would have voted for him last time around but went Libertarian. This time who knows (other than not Obama, obviously).

The Dems will stick with BO so the primaries are all about the GOP.

Conley
08-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Not that it would happen, but I wonder what it would take for them to kick him to the curb. I guess it would have to be something criminal.

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Not that it would happen, but I wonder what it would take for them to kick him to the curb. I guess it would have to be something criminal.

I was going to say that he GOP did the same thing with Bush but now that I think about it they didn't. Didn't McCain run against him in '04?

Conley
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM

I was going to say that he GOP did the same thing with Bush but now that I think about it they didn't. Didn't McCain run against him in '04?

No, but there was speculation he might be Kerry's VP:

"In the 2004 U.S. presidential election campaign, McCain was once again frequently mentioned for the vice-presidential slot, only this time as part of the Democratic ticket under nominee John Kerry.[167][168][169] McCain said that Kerry had never formally offered him the position and that he would not have accepted it if he had.[168][169][170] At the 2004 Republican National Convention, McCain supported Bush for re-election, praising Bush's management of the War on Terror since the September 11 attacks.[171] At the same time, the Senator defended Kerry's Vietnam war record.[172] By August 2004, McCain had the best favorable-to-unfavorable rating (55 percent to 19 percent) of any national politician;[171] he campaigned for Bush much more than he had four years previously, though the two remained situational allies rather than friends.[153]"

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM

No, but there was speculation he might be Kerry's VP:

"In the 2004 U.S. presidential election campaign, McCain was once again frequently mentioned for the vice-presidential slot, only this time as part of the Democratic ticket under nominee John Kerry.[167][168][169] McCain said that Kerry had never formally offered him the position and that he would not have accepted it if he had.[168][169][170] At the 2004 Republican National Convention, McCain supported Bush for re-election, praising Bush's management of the War on Terror since the September 11 attacks.[171] At the same time, the Senator defended Kerry's Vietnam war record.[172] By August 2004, McCain had the best favorable-to-unfavorable rating (55 percent to 19 percent) of any national politician;[171] he campaigned for Bush much more than he had four years previously, though the two remained situational allies rather than friends.[153]"

Oh, so no one ran against Bush in 2004?

Conley
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Not really...I believe there are always some fringe people in both parties who try it, but it's generally frowned upon and considered political suicide, as you are going against the party. LBJ was probably the closest example in the modern era:

"Look into the 1968 presidential primaries. L. B. Johnson was sitting president for the Democratic Party, but was challenged by Eugene McCarthy. After it was determined Johnson did not carry enough votes to gain the nomination for his third term ( he finished JFK's 1st term after he was assassinated) his vice president Hubert Humfrey jumped into the race for the democratic nomination for the presidency. At the same time, Robert F Kennedy, Steven M Young, and George Smathers threw their hat in the ring for the democratic nomination as well.

And to put more spin on the ball, former Alabama Governor, Democrat George Wallace, ran on an independent ticket in the Presidential general election.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_an_incumbent_president_be_challenged_by_a_same _party_member_in_an_election_run#ixzz1UjkGNULf

also:

"Four incumbent presidents have been denied a nomination to run by their own party. Franklin Pierce, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson (sort of), and Chester A. Arthur; but only Pierce had actually been elected president. The rest were vice presidents who who ascended to the presidency after assassinations or deaths in office.
Pierce was our 14th President and served from 1853-1857. John Fremont defeated Pierce in his bid for renomination, making Pierce the only elected President (rather than a Vice President who succeeded to the position) to not gain his party's nomination for a second term.

None of the other three presidents had secured enough support in their own party to gain a nomination for a full term. Millard Fillmore, who took over when Zachary Taylor died in 1850, did not gain the Whig party nomination for a second term.

Andrew Johson, who took over after Lincoln's assassination, had a more complicated situation. Johnson had been elected as Lincoln's running mate as a "Union Democrat". Lincoln had hoped to unite the country with a southerner on the ticket during the Civil War in the election of 1864. But after Lincoln was assassinated and he ascended to the presidency, he faced a Republican congress that despised him. After being impeached -- and narrowly avoiding removal from office -- he attempted to win the Democratic nomination in 1868. Since several Confederate states hadn't yet rejoined the union to vote in that election, and he was not well-liked by northern Democrats either, he failed to win support from either major party. After he stepped down as president, he briefly served in the U.S. Senate again from Tennessee.

And finally, Chester A. Arthur, who took over upon Garfield's assassination, did not gain his party's nomination for a second term.

It's worth noting that all of these occasions occurred before the modern era of party primaries being decided by voters. These presidents had to win the approval of their own party officials, not the public at large. The closest scenario in the primary era was Lyndon Johnson in 1968, who ran for a second full term, but dropped out of the race after he only narrowly won the New Hampshire primary against Eugene McCarthy. This was considered a sign of a major weakness for an incumbent president. After Robert Kennedy joined the race, it became clear to Johnson that he would not win the nomination. On March 31, 1968, he announced he wouldn't run for another term.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_an_incumbent_president_ever_lost_the_nominatio n_to_run_for_a_second_term#ixzz1Ujk0xdjM

Mister D
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Interesting factoids. yeah, it would take something criminal for the dems to jettison BO. Sink or swim with Obama...

hellraiser
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
obama will win again i am sure

republicans cant even decide who is good enough to run lol

they have no one

Conley
08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

they have no one

This is all part of the process. The debates and the primaries are to select who will represent the GOP in the national election. At the start of the election cycle for 2008 no one expected Barack Obama to wind up president either. Keep that in mind.

Mister D
08-11-2011, 03:36 PM

they have no one

Thats what primary elections are for... ???

Mister D
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

they have no one

This is all part of the process. The debates and the primaries are to select who will represent the GOP in the national election. At the start of the election cycle for 2008 no one expected Barack Obama to wind up president either. Keep that in mind.

And now many regret that he did wind up as President.

Conley
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Yep. Even those that voted for him.