PDA

View Full Version : Common Core faults Fully explained

Bob
10-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Please read the link. If you do not, you do not understand the nature of the mail I got.

When I get mail, I presume the text is sent to me as my mail. I feel as mail, I can it at will since the mail did not state to me I had to follow fair use rules.

Anyway, study the whole article and learn what your children face. This is all i can fucking post and i apologize you have to do extra work just to read it as you are entitled to.

“Un-common – Not Core
by Cynthia Walker
http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/09/uncommon_not_core.html
Excerpts from this article:
I became a math teacher by a circuitous route. My degree is in engineering. I spent five and a half years refurbishing nuclear submarines, and then I quit work to bear, rear, and eventually homeschool our three children.

As a homeschool mom, I participated in co-ops, taking turns teaching groups of homeschooled children subjects such as nature study and geography. As our children entered their teen years, I began to teach algebra, trig, and calculus to small classes of homeschoolers at my kitchen table. And as our children left home for their four-year universities, two to major in engineering and one in art, I began teaching in small private schools known as classical academies.

Bob
10-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Those two paragraphs are why I posted all of the memo mailed to me.

This system mashed it all together on the other thread.

I did nothing at all to mash it all together.

midcan5
10-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Knowing lots of teachers and being married to a math teacher I find these opinion pieces a mixed bag of some sense and lots of BS. People forget where they live, this isn't Finland, this is America where sports and money are admired and education criticized. There is a great deal more to education than common core alone. Values, jobs, possibilities, purpose, all matter but are often left out. The rich I know do quite well as they operate in a America the poor and even much of the middle class miss and cannot even afford.

An old post below, as for the OP, another day, the same baloney. Ask them what their solution is sometime?

Conservatives are of course opposed to common core as they are afraid the education would be open to reasoned thought concerning issues they find abhorrent. Red states have some of the worst educational statistics in the country, maybe the world, but that is fine as they need serfs for their workforce and gerrymandered districts. Home schoolers dislike education because education opens up a world the home schooler disagrees with. My wife who has taught math for over thirty years sometimes wonders if book publishers are a driving force behind these changes. Why use old text books? But this is America and it is football season and the prime time shows are starting so as Alfred E. said so often 'what me worry.' Americans will remain asleep till inequality grows so large people take to the streets, huh what? You mean they have? Yep, see the McDonald's workers. Hm, interesting huh.

Whenever I read about the whining over education and government I think of all the teachers I know and the stories they tell. America, unlike Finland, for instance looks down on teachers and educators. That's a part of our culture so deeply embedded it's unconscious. Money, fame, and sport are worshipped in America, learning not so much. Watch our so called reality shows and you realize soon dumbness must be a virtue.

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-social-welfare-state

"Thirty years ago, 10 percent of California’s general revenue fund went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons. Today nearly 11 percent goes to prisons and 8 percent to higher education." Friedman/Mandelbaum in 'That Used To Be Us'

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

Even at the level of the haves, we are creating puppet people. As I watch some of the young at this level, large salaries, many many hours, nannies and day care, I wonder what the future holds, having lived through downsizing, outsourcing, and all the absurd economic justifications, one can only wonder.

'The Disadvantages of an Elite Education - Our best universities have forgotten that the reason they exist is to make minds, not careers' By William Deresiewicz http://theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/

Homeschooling is the epitome of mind control and mental slavery. Those who do it distrust ideas, their own and the public's. Add to that the social captivity and you have the grounds for followers not leaders or freedom loving people. But one of the ironies I notice today is the better educated, the entitled and the elite in America are just as value empty as the mental cave people. It sometimes seems that unless you have to fight a bit, suffer a bit, you end up with boring amoral clones. Look for instance at the CEO of Burger King today, at least in appearance he seems the Paul Ryan anti soul businessperson, another Ayn Rand psychopath who cares only about the bottom line and the human and national consequences be gone.

"Many students at elite universities amble like sheep through four years of parties and extracurriculars, and then head down the ramp to the hedge funds without stopping to think. But plenty of others find their people, as one of my own former students says: the teachers who still offer open doors and open ears, the friends who stay up all night arguing with them about expressionism or feminism or both, the partners with whom they sail the deep waters of love (which, like sex, survives on campus). They come in as raw freshmen and they leave as young adults, thoughtful and articulate and highly individual. Deresiewicz observes their identical T-shirts but misses their differences of class and resources — just as he elides the differences between universities."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/books/review/excellent-sheep-by-william-deresiewicz.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/08/qa-the-miseducation-of-our-college-elite/377524/

Creationism ???
http://www.alternet.org/education/5-states-gunning-make-their-kids-scientifically-illiterate-possible-teaching-creationist

Bob
10-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Knowing lots of teachers and being married to a math teacher I find these opinion pieces a mixed bag of some sense and lots of BS. People forget where they live, this isn't Finland, this is America where sports and money are admired and education criticized. There is a great deal more to education than common core alone. Values, jobs, possibilities, purpose, all matter but are often left out. The rich I know do quite well as they operate in a America the poor and even much of the middle class miss and cannot even afford.

An old post below, as for the OP, another day, the same baloney. Ask them what their solution is sometime?

Conservatives are of course opposed to common core as they are afraid the education would be open to reasoned thought concerning issues they find abhorrent. Red states have some of the worst educational statistics in the country, maybe the world, but that is fine as they need serfs for their workforce and gerrymandered districts. Home schoolers dislike education because education opens up a world the home schooler disagrees with. My wife who has taught math for over thirty years sometimes wonders if book publishers are a driving force behind these changes. Why use old text books? But this is America and it is football season and the prime time shows are starting so as Alfred E. said so often 'what me worry.' Americans will remain asleep till inequality grows so large people take to the streets, huh what? You mean they have? Yep, see the McDonald's workers. Hm, interesting huh.

Whenever I read about the whining over education and government I think of all the teachers I know and the stories they tell. America, unlike Finland, for instance looks down on teachers and educators. That's a part of our culture so deeply embedded it's unconscious. Money, fame, and sport are worshipped in America, learning not so much. Watch our so called reality shows and you realize soon dumbness must be a virtue.

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-social-welfare-state

"Thirty years ago, 10 percent of California’s general revenue fund went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons. Today nearly 11 percent goes to prisons and 8 percent to higher education." Friedman/Mandelbaum in 'That Used To Be Us'

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

Even at the level of the haves, we are creating puppet people. As I watch some of the young at this level, large salaries, many many hours, nannies and day care, I wonder what the future holds, having lived through downsizing, outsourcing, and all the absurd economic justifications, one can only wonder.

'The Disadvantages of an Elite Education - Our best universities have forgotten that the reason they exist is to make minds, not careers' By William Deresiewicz http://theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/

Homeschooling is the epitome of mind control and mental slavery. Those who do it distrust ideas, their own and the public's. Add to that the social captivity and you have the grounds for followers not leaders or freedom loving people. But one of the ironies I notice today is the better educated, the entitled and the elite in America are just as value empty as the mental cave people. It sometimes seems that unless you have to fight a bit, suffer a bit, you end up with boring amoral clones. Look for instance at the CEO of Burger King today, at least in appearance he seems the Paul Ryan anti soul businessperson, another Ayn Rand psychopath who cares only about the bottom line and the human and national consequences be gone.

"Many students at elite universities amble like sheep through four years of parties and extracurriculars, and then head down the ramp to the hedge funds without stopping to think. But plenty of others find their people, as one of my own former students says: the teachers who still offer open doors and open ears, the friends who stay up all night arguing with them about expressionism or feminism or both, the partners with whom they sail the deep waters of love (which, like sex, survives on campus). They come in as raw freshmen and they leave as young adults, thoughtful and articulate and highly individual. Deresiewicz observes their identical T-shirts but misses their differences of class and resources — just as he elides the differences between universities."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/books/review/excellent-sheep-by-william-deresiewicz.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/08/qa-the-miseducation-of-our-college-elite/377524/

Creationism ???
http://www.alternet.org/education/5-states-gunning-make-their-kids-scientifically-illiterate-possible-teaching-creationist

I highlighted your pieces of interest.

So, your opinion must be the same thing as you accuse them of saying. BS in other words. We trust you because you are left wing and married a teacher?

Did you read the entire link? This fuck up on your part is why I posted it all on a different closed thread.

Had you studied her comments, you would note she agrees that it is a lot more than just common core. What did she complain most about?

She gave a solution had you read her commentary.

She opposes it because she believes it is driving children away from math.

She cited specifics and gave full details.

Anyway, I have not yet slept this night and i just don't care to deal with a radical this am.

Green Arrow
10-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Big corporations support common core, yet big business supporters like Bob are against common core and big business enemies like midcan are for common core.

Topsy-turvy.

Bob
10-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Big corporations support common core, yet big business supporters like Bob are against common core and big business enemies like midcan are for common core.

Topsy-turvy.

As usual, you have me entirely wrong.

I am just not a hater of corporations. I feel giving them breaks trickles down to all of us.

As to your claim big business loves Common core, you have yet to supply any sort of link, true or false.

Green Arrow
10-01-2014, 07:27 AM
As usual, you have me entirely wrong.

I am just not a hater of corporations. I feel giving them breaks trickles down to all of us.

You go out of your way to defend them. That strikes me as a supporter.

As to your claim big business loves Common core, you have yet to supply any sort of link, true or false.

Have fun. (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/14/Big-Business-Launching-War-Against-Tea-Party-over-Common-Core)

Bob
10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Hey wise guy, I defend the public. When i speak for corporations it is to help the public.

As to your refusal to supply any links to back up your claims, I figured you had none to offer.

Green Arrow
10-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Hey wise guy, I defend the public. When i speak for corporations it is to help the public.

As to your refusal to supply any links to back up your claims, I figured you had none to offer.

Click the words "Have fun." The ones that look different from all the other words on the forum. That's a link.