PDA

View Full Version : 60% of Alcohol Sales Are to Addicts

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 11:01 AM
So you don't think the alcohol industry seeks to engineer addiction? Well you might be interested in the findings of a new study! (http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/a-surprising-look-at-americas-drinking-habits-335930435610) You'd never know it from watching TV, but as it turns out, 3 out of every 5 Americans basically don't drink, as in to say that they average one alcoholic beverage a week or less (including 30% who abstain entirely, which is the category to which I belong). (Or, if you recognize that people under 10% of Americans, however, consume an average of almost 74 alcoholic beverages a week (which you can mentally double, considering that people tend to under-report their consumption levels by half), and this 10% is responsible for 60% of all alcohol sales in this country. You can do the math on that and figure out, if not for addicts, most of the alcohol business would dry up overnight. The industry then has a direct commercial interest in fostering addiction, as it depends on addiction for most of its revenue. Still think these people aren't exploiters?

I'm very glad that Vermont is an alcohol control state! I mean that's the bottom line as to what works when it comes to combating alcohol addiction: alcohol control policies, in particular as regards pricing. Consumption taxes help a lot here just as they do vis-a-vis cigarettes and other harmful drugs.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Good grief. I drink at least 2 or 3 beers a day. I'm an "addict"? bugger off, toots! :smiley:

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Umm...no...I'm pretty sure I was assessing that people who consume more than 70 or 100 alcoholic beverages a week are addicts.

Next time, try reading the post before assailing it. :rollseyes:

Chris
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Saw this recently:

http://i.snag.gy/Rn89q.jpg

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Exactly, Chris. That's the study that my link in the OP discusses!

del
10-05-2014, 11:34 AM
alcohol addiction has very little to do with how much one consumes, but rather why one consumes it.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Umm...no...I'm pretty sure I was assessing that people who consume more than 70 or 100 alcoholic beverages a week are addicts.

It was a joke, Polly, hence the smiley. Come down off your cross.

del
10-05-2014, 11:36 AM
gotta defend your right to drink

Mister D
10-05-2014, 11:36 AM
gotta defend your right to drink

Damn straight!

del
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Damn straight!

that's a common trait among alcoholics

just sayin'

Polecat
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
We could always reinstate prohibition. That worked wonders.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 11:41 AM
that's a common trait among alcoholics

just sayin'

I'm an addict. :sad:

Chris
10-05-2014, 11:41 AM
alcohol addiction has very little to do with how much one consumes, but rather why one consumes it.

True but over time you build up tolerances.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Obviously, the need for increased restrictions is the implication of the OP. bugger off, toots! :smiley:

Chris
10-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Yea, for the mafia.

del
10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm an addict. :sad:

there's no difference

del
10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
So you don't think the alcohol industry seeks to engineer addiction? Well you might be interested in the findings of a new study! (http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/a-surprising-look-at-americas-drinking-habits-335930435610) You'd never know it from watching TV, but as it turns out, 3 out of every 5 Americans basically don't drink, as in to say that they average one alcoholic beverage a week or less (including 30% who abstain entirely, which is the category to which I belong). (Or, if you recognize that people under 10% of Americans, however, consume an average of almost 74 alcoholic beverages a week (which you can mentally double, considering that people tend to under-report their consumption levels by half), and this 10% is responsible for 60% of all alcohol sales in this country. You can do the math on that and figure out, if not for addicts, most of the alcohol business would dry up overnight. The industry then has a direct commercial interest in fostering addiction, as it depends on addiction for most of its revenue. Still think these people aren't exploiters?

I'm very glad that Vermont is an alcohol control state! I mean that's the bottom line as to what works when it comes to combating alcohol addiction: alcohol control policies, in particular as regards pricing. Consumption taxes help a lot here just as they do vis-a-vis cigarettes and other harmful drugs.

if you think price controls and taxes have any effect on addictions of any kind, i've got some oceanfront property in white river junction that i'll let you have cheap.

Green Arrow
10-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I rarely drink, but when I do, I drink a lot. Mostly because I'm a social drinker. If you're having a drink, so shall I :D

Chris
10-05-2014, 12:06 PM
That's how I drank, infrequently, but when I did, a lot. Mostly Saturdays, working in the garage or yard, drinking beer. So I was an addict, some would say. Then I stopped, years and years ago, just stopped, wasn't doing me any good, made me feel lousy next day, wasn't setting good example. Now I drink a beer maybe once, twice a year.

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Mister D wrote:
It was a joke, Polly, hence the smiley. Come down off your cross.

Oh. Sorry! :embarrassed::tongue:

Green Arrow wrote:
I rarely drink, but when I do, I drink a lot. Mostly because I'm a social drinker. If you're having a drink, so shall I http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/smilies/biggrin.png

That's basically similar to how I am. I average zero drinks a week, but might have a small drink at a special event like a wedding to be respectful.

donttread
10-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Good grief. I drink at least 2 or 3 beers a day. I'm an "addict"? bugger off, toots! :smiley:

There are alcoholics who never seem drunk but drink a maintence dose on a daily basis. What happens if you abstain for a week?

donttread
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
True but over time you build up tolerances.

Common myth but the amount consumed is actually a major factor in some cases. For example I never met a "quart a day man" who wasn't alcoholic

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah exactly. I mean I tend to think of someone who consumes 148 alcoholic beverages a week as almost certainly an addict. I mean that's an average of 21 drinks a day! Are you ever sober if you're drinking that much?

Cigar
10-05-2014, 12:31 PM
It's Official; I'm a Drunk :grin:

Chris
10-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah exactly. I mean I tend to think of someone who consumes 148 alcoholic beverages a week as almost certainly an addict. I mean that's an average of 21 drinks a day! Are you ever sober if you're drinking that much?

I can't even imagine 21 drinks in a day. How would one even function?

Chris
10-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Common myth but the amount consumed is actually a major factor in some cases. For example I never met a "quart a day man" who wasn't alcoholic

Yea, what I mean by tolerances is, over time your body builds up tolerances to the effects of alcohol (and drugs) and you need to consume more and more to get the high.

Green Arrow
10-05-2014, 12:54 PM
It's Official; I'm a Drunk :grin:

We all already knew that.

KC
10-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I usually have at least one beer a night. I drink a lot more when I go out, but that's usually no more than once a week.

Adelaide
10-05-2014, 01:11 PM
I drink rarely, but when I do it's usually a large quantity. Most often at family dinners, after dinner, when we're playing cards. I probably have at least 10 bottles of alcohol in our beverage fridge just because it sucks to need something and not have it on hand. I keep the house stocked for any occasion, basically. We also have gifted wines that I would never touch because they're homemade and likely gross, so they sit collecting dust. I will buy inexpensive wine, but spend over $100 on good tequila.

We have the LCBO here - Liquor Control Board of Ontario - that sells all alcohol except beer which is also sold by the Beer store. Corner stores are fighting for the right to sell alcohol but I actually like having the LCBO stores because you can buy cheap wine and extremely expensive or specialty wine or alcohol. There is a huge range.

PolWatch
10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Alabama is an extremely conservative state that prides itself on its Christian principles. I find it interesting that liquor sales are only allowed by state owned/operated liquor stores. Beer & wine can be sold in general grocery stores, but not liquor. Allowing a state lottery has come up several times and has been defeated by the conservative right...financed by the gambling interests in the neighboring states.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 01:31 PM
There are alcoholics who never seem drunk but drink a maintence dose on a daily basis. What happens if you abstain for a week?

I never tried although I used to be a alcoholic. When I was in college and afterward in my mid 20s I drank heavily. Easily a 6 pack a night deal. I stopped doing that about 12 years ago.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Ditto Chris. How is that even possible? On the other hand, I have known serious alcoholics who always seemed to be drinking. The kind of guys who bring beer to work.

IMPress Polly
10-05-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't know how it's possible either, but statistically speaking, evidently it is!

Mister D
10-05-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't know how it's possible either, but statistically speaking, evidently it is!

You're slowly but surely killing yourself. Maybe that's the point consciously or not.

KC
10-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I never tried although I used to be a alcoholic. When I was in college and afterward in my mid 20s I drank heavily. Easily a 6 pack a night deal. I stopped doing that about 12 years ago.

I would be an awful student if I drank that much. Also, I find it hard to work out in the morning if I drink too much the night before.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I would be an awful student if I drank that much. Also, I find it hard to work out in the morning if I drink too much the night before.

That was a period where I didn't work out much if at all. I lost weight because I wasn't eating.

KC
10-05-2014, 01:56 PM
That was a period where I didn't work out much if at all. I lost weight because I wasn't eating.

I am trying to make a point of doing more cardio along with weight training, whether at the gym or just going for a run. It feels good and actually discourages me from drinking too much unless I'm out with friends.

Mister D
10-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I am trying to make a point of doing more cardio along with weight training, whether at the gym or just going for a run. It feels good and actually discourages me from drinking too much unless I'm out with friends.

It feels great. I am starting to tone it down for the colder weather. When it's warm I'll run 25 miles a week. I more strength training in the Winter. 15 miles a week. Drinking is my vice but I have to say I'm in better shape than most people half my age.

Private Pickle
10-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Good thing it's not illegal to be an addict.

sachem
10-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Some people drown in alcohol, some people swim.

Adelaide
10-05-2014, 02:21 PM

It's possible because of biology, specifically epigenetics. Our body recognizes when we drink alcohol and the liver begins to generate more hepatocytes to increase tolerance and try to prevent damage. That said, it obviously does not stop long-term damage like cirrhosis of the liver. Someone who drinks 21 drinks a day will slowly feel less and less of the effects while still inflicting the damage. They will then increase the amount they drink while also increasing the level of damage. Our body is quite smart.

Polecat
10-05-2014, 03:28 PM
I quit drinking because I was getting regular at it. At least every other day I was knocking back 8 to10 ozs. of Bourbon.Sometimes more. I would go dry for a week or two but still considered my consumption to be excessive. If its in the house I will drink it. I don't have any trouble ignoring some of the left over stuff in the cabinet, peach schnapps, amaretto, creme de menthe. I think maybe I just like bourbon too much.

kilgram
10-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Saw this recently:

http://i.snag.gy/Rn89q.jpg

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/
How does work this graph? I don't understand it. What are deciles?

Chris
10-05-2014, 03:44 PM
How does work this graph? I don't understand it. What are deciles?

Think of it as percent, 10, 20, 30%.

Gunny
10-05-2014, 04:00 PM

You don't know a damned thing about addicts.

Really? What you and your taxes do is turn addicts into criminals.

Newpublius
10-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Consumption taxes help a lot here just as they do vis-a-vis cigarettes and other harmful drugs.

I wish liberals would remember the discouraging impact of taxation with respect to investment and other income generating activity.

donttread
10-05-2014, 07:16 PM

She's right. The very definition of social drinking is a1/10th of that or less

donttread
10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I quit drinking because I was getting regular at it. At least every other day I was knocking back 8 to10 ozs. of Bourbon.Sometimes more. I would go dry for a week or two but still considered my consumption to be excessive. If its in the house I will drink it. I don't have any trouble ignoring some of the left over stuff in the cabinet, peach schnapps, amaretto, creme de menthe. I think maybe I just like bourbon too much.

Sounds like a good move Polecat

donttread
10-05-2014, 07:21 PM
It's possible because of biology, specifically epigenetics. Our body recognizes when we drink alcohol and the liver begins to generate more hepatocytes to increase tolerance and try to prevent damage. That said, it obviously does not stop long-term damage like cirrhosis of the liver. Someone who drinks 21 drinks a day will slowly feel less and less of the effects while still inflicting the damage. They will then increase the amount they drink while also increasing the level of damage. Our body is quite smart.

Tolerance is what kills Heroin addicts because the amount of heroin it takes to get high increases much faster than the amount it takes to kill them. Alcohol would do the same if we had no idea how pure it was until we'd already consumed the whole dose

Peter1469
10-05-2014, 08:39 PM

That is a lot. How can someone who works manage that?

donttread
10-06-2014, 02:01 AM

Been there , done that. The drinking almost becomes your job and your job becomes your means to drink. I rarely, bit sometimes worked drunk, but went in "still drunk" and or badly hung over often to point of even having a blackout at work hours after I had stopped drinking.

del
10-06-2014, 06:49 AM

you get used to it. at least, i did.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Doing the math, the OP is merely suggesting that 60% of drinkers are addicts.

Probably 90+% of fat people are food addicts possibly also and desperately need your help, won't you help them?

donttread
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Doing the math, the OP is merely suggesting that 60% of drinkers are addicts.

Probably 90+% of fat people are food addicts possibly also and desperately need your help, won't you help them?

What purpose did that comment even serve?

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 12:04 PM
What purpose did that comment even serve?

It was snark.

People get tired of other people shoving their "values" down everyone's throat.

del
10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
shoving sure ain't what it used to be.

Polecat
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
In my own experience the number of beverages a week is not a valid indicator. When I was young I would go out and drink with my pals until I was cross eyed. I never kept alcohol at home and never drank a drop unless I was out with the boys. And this was usually every other week. (payday) When I got married I wasn't going out at all anymore. I haven't been falling down drunk for decades but over the last twenty years I got used to drinking alone. Innocuous enough at first. Cold beer on the front porch in warm weather and hardly a drop in the winter. When I stopped working it progressed slowly to the point that I was going through a big plastic bottle of Kentucky Tavern at about the same rate as a carton of cigarettes. Convenient since I bought my cheap cigarettes and cheap bourbon at the same place. I left cigarettes behind in March due to the extreme cost and switched to vapor nicotine. Much much cheaper. Several weeks back I noticed that my alcohol consumption was excessive so I decided to stop. My conclusion is that drinking until you puke on your girlfriend is not as dangerous as casual drinking.

IMPress Polly
10-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Gunny wrote:
Really? What you and your taxes do is turn addicts into criminals.

How do you figure, considering that taxation criminalizes nothing? Do you mean that people would just resort to stealing it?

Even prohibition didn't just simply "ciminalize addicts", it also reduced the number of them. Prohibition saw overall alcohol consumption in this country fall off by about 25%. That probably wasn't enough of a drop-off to justify the ban on possession, but it's worth noting that people kept voting for politicians who supported prohibition until the Great Depression hit, so evidently the Mob wasn't considered a big enough problem in the '20s for people to vote for "wet" politicians. Prohibition was lifted amidst the Great Depression of the 1930s not so much in order to control organized crime (as per modern myth) as in order to generate more desperately needed tax revenues for bankrupt state and local governments...to which end alcohol consumption actually continued to drop off for some time following legalization, and organized crime was scarcely impacted by it at all, remaining a major problem in this country for five more decades thereafter. But over time, the nation overall has tended to relax taxation and other controls on the sale of alcohol. The result of this relaxation has been a steady increase in alcohol consumption, which reached pre-prohibition levels again in 1970 and today stands at an all-time high. Let me suggest that we should seriously consider revisiting alcohol control policies. I mean seriously, if alcohol were a new drug, there's no way the FDA would approve it! It doesn't even come close to meeting their standards! The only reason it's allowed is out of tradition; because too many people consume it. We can work backward on that problem over time, gradually reducing the number of consumers with alcohol control measures, thus improving the overall health and well-being of the nation.