PDA

View Full Version : Hospital ER Wait Times

Adelaide
10-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Many Canadians get their first-ever glimpse today of their own hospital’s emergency wait times to see a doctor, and some of the waits are disturbingly high.

More than 40 per cent of the 161 hospitals that submitted data to the Canadian Institute for Health Informationfor 2012-2013 fell below the suggested three-hour wait time to get assessed by an emergency room physician. The report released Thursday by CIHI, a federally funded non-profit organization, also reveals that four hospitals — three in Winnipeg and one in Ontario — saw double or even triple the suggested three-hour wait.

For this report, CIHI looked at the amount of time 90 per cent of patients spent between arrival at the ER and seeing a doctor, otherwise known at the 90th percentile. The remaining 10 per cent of patients faced even longer waits.

Patients arriving at an ER who are at the greatest risk are generally seen right away, while the great majority of people waiting hours for care are not typically at risk from their wait....

Overall, the national wait-time to see a doctor in an emergency room has steadily dropped over the past five years. For 2012-2013, it stood at 3.2 hours for the 90th percentile.

About one-fifth of hospitals were deemed “below average” in their own peer groups. CIHI differentiates among small, medium and large hospitals, and includes a separate category for teaching facilities, which deal with more complex patients.

Hospital ER times reveal some 'disturbing' waits - Health - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/hospital-er-times-reveal-some-disturbing-waits-1.2767867)

So, important to note that people who need immediate care receive immediate care and that times continue to drop, however, large and urban hospitals face the longest wait times.

Anyways, I have a lot of experience with emergency departments, a bit of an aficionado because my body crapped out a couple years ago. I have been to ERs in 2 provinces, 6 cities and at 9 hospitals. My lowest wait was actually in a rather sketchy part of the Vancouver-area where I was seen immediately and shot up with what was probably another patient's heroin, then sent on my way.

But the numbers say we're getting better. 3.2 hours is a lot lower than it was 10 years ago.

sachem
10-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Yeah. As annoying as it is to wait, not everyone can be seen quickly. If I can, I always bring stuff to do with me. Of course that isn't always possible.

ER's need more staff, but that of course increases costs.

Peter1469
10-09-2014, 05:58 AM
I don't go to the emergency room unless it is serious. My wait times last winter were minimal. The first time it was no wait time. But one of the docs told me I almost waited too long. I guess it is all in the timing. :smiley:

Matty
10-09-2014, 06:01 AM
For non emergency stuff people should see their doctors or go to a walk in clinic.

Peter1469
10-09-2014, 06:03 AM
For non emergency stuff people should see their doctors or go to a walk in clinic.

We have lots of urgent care clinics around here.

donttread
10-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Hospital ER times reveal some 'disturbing' waits - Health - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/hospital-er-times-reveal-some-disturbing-waits-1.2767867)

So, important to note that people who need immediate care receive immediate care and that times continue to drop, however, large and urban hospitals face the longest wait times.

Anyways, I have a lot of experience with emergency departments, a bit of an aficionado because my body crapped out a couple years ago. I have been to ERs in 2 provinces, 6 cities and at 9 hospitals. My lowest wait was actually in a rather sketchy part of the Vancouver-area where I was seen immediately and shot up with what was probably another patient's heroin, then sent on my way.

But the numbers say we're getting better. 3.2 hours is a lot lower than it was 10 years ago.

Did the Heroin do the trick?

Captain Obvious
10-09-2014, 07:17 AM
ER visits have dropped in states who's Medicaid programs expanded via the ACA.

However, because there is a direct correlation between ER wait times and cost (and patient satisfaction also), there will always be pressure on longer wait times.

The presence of urgicare clinics or even primary medicine extended office hours (evenings, weekends - which basically make them urgicare centers also) doesn't always reduce the volume pressure on ER's. People want to go to the hospital, even for minor things.

Adelaide
10-09-2014, 01:17 PM

If you're referring to me, I regularly require IV hydration and anti-nausea medications intravenously. My general physician has told me I can't go longer than 3 days without eating or I have to go to the ER because I've passed out and hit my head in the past. Thus, since I have trouble eating every day, I end up in the ER often. I also have to go after most of my lumbar punctures because I get a post-puncture headache that lasts a week and requires some heavy-duty drugs, typically first through an IV and then PO. In addition, within the last 2 years, I've managed to end up with several hospital-acquired illnesses that required immediate attention and treatment I couldn't get from my GP. Since I have a GP, I am never allowed to go to a walk in clinic (a common rule with GPs up here) but a walk in clinic doesn't have the resources I require anyways.

As well, there are still a lot of people in my area who don't have a GP. They end up holding off going in to any clinic thinking they'll feel better and then wind up in the ER where they do technically waste resources but it's a result of a lack of GPs. They are the people who end up waiting 7 hours to be told they have the flu and to go home and get some sleep, drink some water. The biggest stressor on the ER system in my region/province is actually people my age and not boomers because we tend to not have GPs. I only have one because I flew up the list once I started being diagnosed with problem after problem, (I became a high risk patient so I got a GP quicker). People my age tend to be healthy, so they stay on a wait list while older people with health problems get a GP.

Adelaide
10-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Did the Heroin do the trick?

Best damn cab ride back to my hotel ever.

Adelaide
10-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah. As annoying as it is to wait, not everyone can be seen quickly. If I can, I always bring stuff to do with me. Of course that isn't always possible.

ER's need more staff, but that of course increases costs.

In my experience, they need more physicians not necessarily more staff in general. I'm always amazed to see nurses standing around gossiping, but then with only 1 to 2 doctors in the department at any given time, it's not like they are given much direction as to what they can do or should be doing, (such as give medication, which requires a doctor to prescribe, or how to dress a wound which also requires a doctor to decide first after seeing it). It's a constant battle for me not to scream at them when I'm in a bed waiting for treatment and I see a group of like 10 nurses standing around. It's not their fault, but it's definitely frustrating when you're waiting for care.

I find the ER a frustrating place where you have to keep reminding yourself that there are sicker people, there are not enough doctors to treat everyone or to keep the nurses busy, and sometimes you need to take initiative and turn off the lights and sleep while you wait and maybe ask for a real blanket. I used to be too intimidated to ask for a blanket.

donttread
10-09-2014, 03:19 PM
best damn cab ride back to my hotel ever.

lol