PDA

View Full Version : Democrat short-cut to Masters degree from Army War College

Bob
10-10-2014, 04:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/army-war-college-revokes-sen-john-walshs-degree-183520964--politics.html
snip
"The board found that then Colonel John Walsh did commit the offense of plagiarism and thus his Master's Degree and status as graduate of the U.S. Army War College should be revoked," War College spokeswoman Carol Kerr said in a statement.
The review board's report found the plagiarism "egregious." A review of Walsh's paper by the school's director of communicative arts found little, if any, original language or research and that it was "primarily composed of verbatim liftings from other sources" presented as if they were Walsh's own work.
"In short, the paper was plagiarized and ... the plagiarism was intentional," the review board said in its report.
Walsh's office released a statement saying the senator disagrees with the findings but accepts the college's decision.
"I apologize to all Montanans for the plagiarism in my 2007 paper, and I am prepared to live with its consequences," Walsh said in the statement. "I may not be a scholar, but I am proud to have been a soldier who has served Montana and this great nation for 33 years in uniform."
His spokeswoman said he was not available for further comment.
Walsh dropped out of the Nov. 4 Senate race after the report about plagiarism. He was appointed to his Senate seat in February when Max Baucus resigned to become ambassador to China.
In August, Montana Democrats chose state lawmaker Amanda Curtis to replace Wash as their candidate against Republican U.S. Rep. Steve Daines. Republicans need a net gain of six seats in November to take Senate control, and Montana is a prime target to pick up a seat that's been in Democratic hands for more than a century.
Walsh spoke to members of the review board by phone the day before it convened in August. He admitted that he plagiarized the paper, but he said it was a mistake.

sachem
10-10-2014, 05:00 PM
You cheat, you lose.

Green Arrow
10-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Per the rules, you are only allowed to quote 2-3 paragraphs. Cut it down please.

KC
10-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Isn't this kind of old news? I though Walsh dropped out of the race months ago.

Green Arrow
10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Isn't this kind of old news? I though Walsh dropped out of the race months ago.

He did. He's irrelevant now. But that's the American news media for you.