PDA

View Full Version : Reading Level of Presidential Speeches

Chris
10-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Reading Level of Presidential Speeches (https://www.vocativ.com/interactive/usa/us-politics/presidential-readability/)

(image interactive at link...)

http://i.snag.gy/QbaYX.jpg

“It's tempting to read this as a dumbing down of the bully pulpit,” Shesol explains. “But it’s actually a sign of democratization. In the early Republic, presidents could assume that they were speaking to audiences made up mostly of men like themselves: educated, civic-minded landowners. These, of course, were the only Americans with the right to vote. But over time, the franchise expanded and presidential appeals had to reach a broader audience.”

BS, it's the dumbing down of America and another reason democracy, as the great equalizer, is the worst form of government.

donttread
10-11-2014, 07:44 AM
It's a sign of the dumbing of America . You have to realize that the higher the reading level the less likely someone is to vote Donkephant . Therefore their target is likely around 8th grade and dropping

Mac-7
10-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Can neither of you understand the logic that is being presented?

when decisions were made by the upper class presidential speeches were aimed at them and the reading level if you will was higher.

but as democracy expanded the audience of presidential speeches was less educated.

its not a "dumbing down" of America because the new participants in the process were no less educated than they were before.

donttread
10-11-2014, 08:26 AM

when decisions were made by the upper class presidential speeches were aimed at them and the reading level if you will was higher.

but as democracy expanded the audience of presidential speeches was less educated.

its not a "dumbing down" of America because the new participants in the process were no less educated than they were before.

Oh, I understand the logic. I just reject it out of hand. First we are a Constitutional Republic not a democracy . Second we were much more of both prior to 1913 when speech levels were higher. I get the logic, it just doesn't hold up against the timeline. The timeline is the enemy of government propaganda .But what can I expect from a writer who calls us a "democracy"?

Mac-7
10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Oh, I understand the logic. I just reject it out of hand. First we are a Constitutional Republic not a democracy . Second we were much more of both prior to 1913 when speech levels were higher. I get the logic, it just doesn't hold up against the timeline. The timeline is the enemy of government propaganda .But what can I expect from a writer who calls us a "democracy"?

I see your point also.

But whether you like it or not - and I don't - the system is moving toward direct democracy.

so calling us a democracy is merely acknowledging reality.

maybe we are all dumber than our parents were.

pop culture is trying very hard to make us dumber.

but I think its also true that we are hearing new voices - such as black Obama voters on cspan - who have not been heard from much before.

Chris
10-11-2014, 08:48 AM

But that is exactly what the dumbing down of America is all about, finding the lowest common denominator.

donttread
10-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I see your point also.

But whether you like it or not - and I don't - the system is moving toward direct democracy.

so calling us a democracy is merely acknowledging reality.

maybe we are all dumber than our parents were.

pop culture is trying very hard to make us dumber.

but I think its also true that we are hearing new voices - such as black Obama voters on cspan - who have not been heard from much before.

I acknowledge that the term "dumbing" is a misnomer. "Dependent" is a much more accurate n term. For example we are struggling to teach higher level math to kids that can't even work a real cash register because the "machine " does it for them. Hell they don't even know their best friends phone number because "it's in the phone"

Cigar
10-11-2014, 11:02 AM
So let's close more Schools and Pay Teachers Less ... then sit back and bitch and complain about the results :rollseyes:

Chris
10-11-2014, 11:08 AM
So let's close more Schools and Pay Teachers Less ... then sit back and bitch and complain about the results :rollseyes:

Let's get the federal government out of education. It has no business there.

Cigar
10-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Let's get the federal government out of education. It has no business there.

That's exactly what has been going on for years ... next excuse please :rollseyes:

Chris
10-11-2014, 11:17 AM
That's exactly what has been going on for years ... next excuse please :rollseyes:

Yes, for years, the federal government has been interjecting itself into education and, per the chart in the OP, things have only gotten progressively worse.

Green Arrow
10-11-2014, 12:48 PM

The fuck it has. There's been more centralization of federal control, not less.

donttread
10-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Teachers are doing just fine in wage and benefits especially for a part time work year. The problem is federal intervention because they WANT dependence

donttread
10-11-2014, 02:19 PM

What? Bush actually INCREASED the federalization of education with "Every child left behind" and your superstar certainly hasn't done anything, at anytime, anywhere that even smelled like increasing state power.

iustitia
10-11-2014, 07:52 PM
1979- Department of Education
1983- A Nation At Risk
1991- America 2000
1994- Goals 2000
1994- School To Work
1994- Improving America's Schools
2001- No Child Left Behind
2009- Race to the Top
2010- Common Core

What the fuck are you talking about?

donttread
10-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Well lets compare today's youth to ourselves at that age in terms of free thinking. Subjects must be taught to accept without question.

Adelaide
10-12-2014, 11:00 AM
What people don't seem to realise is that most people are not taught to read above the high school level unless they attend post-secondary school or even then. The books and assignments in high school are at a reading level that is much lower. I had an educator explain this to me once, and I can't quite remember but I think it's grade 7 reading level is as high as it goes. Most books that you might think are more complex than that actually aren't. High school graduates have graduated with middle school reading comprehension. Heck, even our literacy test is ridiculous up here - you get the most marks for staying in the lines.

It makes sense that presidents adjust their speeches to be understood by as many people of the public as possible.

Chris
10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
What people don't seem to realise is that most people are not taught to read above the high school level unless they attend post-secondary school or even then. The books and assignments in high school are at a reading level that is much lower. I had an educator explain this to me once, and I can't quite remember but I think it's grade 7 reading level is as high as it goes. Most books that you might think are more complex than that actually aren't. High school graduates have graduated with middle school reading comprehension. Heck, even our literacy test is ridiculous up here - you get the most marks for staying in the lines.

It makes sense that presidents adjust their speeches to be understood by as many people of the public as possible.

The OP shows it low as grade school level. Should presidents degrade and lower standards or uplift and inspire?

Adelaide
10-12-2014, 11:16 AM
The OP shows it low as grade school level. Should presidents degrade and lower standards or uplift and inspire?

Do you know how many people in the US are illiterate or have not gone to high school at all? They also have the right to vote. It's amazing but kids can graduate high school without the ability to read.

Chris
10-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Do you know how many people in the US are illiterate or have not gone to high school at all? They also have the right to vote. It's amazing but kids can graduate high school without the ability to read.

What's the incentive to learn more when the president speaks down to you?

Peter1469
10-12-2014, 12:20 PM
The Army focuses its writing on the 8th grade level. Of course, not at the senior service schools.

Professor Peabody
10-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Reading Level of Presidential Speeches (https://www.vocativ.com/interactive/usa/us-politics/presidential-readability/)

(image interactive at link...)

BS, it's the dumbing down of America and another reason democracy, as the great equalizer, is the worst form of government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTCXR8uaCHg

Stupid is as stupid does. These people actually vote.

PolWatch
10-12-2014, 01:40 PM
yeap, they do. After years of making fun of the poor educational levels in the South and dumb rednecks, the repub party now has to 'make nice' to the South since that is where many of their most ardent supporters live & vote....ain't life grand?

Professor Peabody
10-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Those are Lost Angeles Obama voters there on video.

Mister D
10-12-2014, 01:47 PM
yeap, they do. After years of making fun of the poor educational levels in the South and dumb rednecks, the repub party now has to 'make nice' to the South since that is where many of their most ardent supporters live & vote....ain't life grand?

What?

Bob
10-12-2014, 02:00 PM
What? Bush actually INCREASED the federalization of education with "Every child left behind" and your superstar certainly hasn't done anything, at anytime, anywhere that even smelled like increasing state power.

That was an option, not a mandate when Bush agreed to NCLB.

All schools had the option to simply not do it.

The No Child Left Behind Act provides new education options for many families. This federal law allows parents to choose other public schools or take advantage of free tutoring if their child attends a school that needs improvement. Also, parents can choose another public school if the school their child attends is unsafe. The law also supports the growth of more independent charter schools, funds some services for children in private schools, and provides certain protections for homeschooling parents. Finally, it requires that states and local school districts provide information to help parents make informed educational choices for their child.

http://www2.ed.gov/nclb/choice/index.html

Bob
10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
https://www2.ed.gov/parents/academic/involve/nclbguide/parentsguide.pdf