PDA

View Full Version : What We Really Need Is a Nobel War Prize

Chris
10-12-2014, 09:23 AM
The ever comical P J O'Rourke...

What We Really Need Is a Nobel War Prize (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/11/up-to-a-point-what-we-really-need-is-a-nobel-war-prize.html)

At least this year’s Nobel Peace Prize wasn’t a howler like the 1973 award to Henry Kissinger and Le Duc Tho for making love, not war in Vietnam. Or the 1919 award to Woodrow Wilson for chopping Central Europe into an angry hash, helping put the “vs.” in theVersailles,Treaty and screwing the pooch on U.S. membership in the League of Nations.

Then there was the 1978....

In 2001....

...I propose a Nobel Prize for just that. The Nobel War Prize. There are, after all, worthy and decent wars. What was America supposed to do after Pearl Harbor, put the keys to the Golden Gate in an airmail envelope and send them to Tojo?

...If you want peace, have a war. Just make sure to have a good, prize-winning one.

donttread
10-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Good idea. But there would be no qualifiers since WW2

Ransom
10-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Good idea. But there would be no qualifiers since WW2

Oh, I think the South Koreans might disagree

Polecat
10-12-2014, 10:39 AM
The Nobel committee shredded its credibility when it awarded Obama the prize just for getting elected president.

Peter1469
10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
The Nobel committee shredded its credibility when it awarded Obama the prize just for getting elected president.

That was hardly the first political prize.

Polecat
10-12-2014, 12:10 PM
That was hardly the first political prize.

Was it the first awarded on promises?

Mini Me
10-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Ah, yes! The mad doctor Henry Kissassinger! He belongs on my Dr. Strangelove list! The NoBalls War Prize!

He blamed Tricky Dick for all the warmongerous violations. such as bombing Cambodia, heroin business in Laos, bombing the dikes around Hanoi, defoliating Vietnam with Agent Orange, and extending the war to have another 30000 G.I.'s killed, sabotaging the Peace talks that LBJ had started just to win the election, etc. ad nauseum infinitum.

Kissinger is one of the main fathers of the New World Order now.
More nominees later!

hanger4
10-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Was it the first awarded on promises?

I think that one belongs to Yasser Arafat.

donttread
10-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Oh, I think the South Koreans might disagree

We had no need to be there. Plain and simple

donttread
10-13-2014, 05:42 AM

Yup. And now look at their little "peacemaker" war mongering with the best of em

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 06:39 AM
The South Koreans have been able to defend themselves for a couple of decades or longer. They are only sucking money from the US.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 06:40 AM
We had no need to be there. Plain and simple

Plain to whom?

Ransom
10-13-2014, 06:44 AM
The South Koreans have been able to defend themselves for a couple of decades or longer. They are only sucking money from the US.

And why exactly Pete.....have the South Koreans been able to defend themselves? I agree with you now, don't misunderstand, the SKs today, quite capable. Why is that? Who is responsible besides the SKs for their reality od economic powerhouse and capable military. Secondly, although able to defend themselves do you think that alone has prevented aggression from the north....note I use the term north there, not NK...does our presence act as a deterrent to NK or China..Pete?

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 07:16 AM
And why exactly Pete.....have the South Koreans been able to defend themselves? I agree with you now, don't misunderstand, the SKs today, quite capable. Why is that? Who is responsible besides the SKs for their reality od economic powerhouse and capable military. Secondly, although able to defend themselves do you think that alone has prevented aggression from the north....note I use the term north there, not NK...does our presence act as a deterrent to NK or China..Pete?

Our prescience there wasn't required since the late 1980s. I did two tours on the DMZ. Yet another topic you "school" me on with zero practical experience.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm sorry I lost the answer to my two questions there amongst all that rubbish.

1. Exactly why Pete...in your opinion..was SK able to defend itself? Exactly now. Understood is the fact that NK and China would have overrun the Korean Peninsula long before this capability of defending itself was discussed if not for the United States. Again. Please tell me why the SK were able to defend themselves as early as 1980.

2. Do you believe US forces there have been a deterrent in any way to nuclear capable neighbors to SK's north?

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 08:07 AM
I have no problem with the US in the RoK (Republic of Korea) during the Cold War. There was zero need after the Soviets folded and ended. Look at the lights. Additionally, the RoK army would smash the North's army in record time. Those guys make hard look soft. But you know that. You trained with the RoK airborne. You operated with them on the DMZ, right? You have real world experience to back up your position? I thought so.

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/83000/83182/ISS038-E-038300.jpg

The US deterrent to North Korea's nukes does not rely on US combat forces in South Korea. You are clear on that, aren't you?

I'm sorry I lost the answer to my two questions there amongst all that rubbish.

1. Exactly why Pete...in your opinion..was SK able to defend itself? Exactly now. Understood is the fact that NK and China would have overrun the Korean Peninsula long before this capability of defending itself was discussed if not for the United States. Again. Please tell me why the SK were able to defend themselves as early as 1980.

2. Do you believe US forces there have been a deterrent in any way to nuclear capable neighbors to SK's north?

exotix
10-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Does that mean neocons should in no doubt get Nobel War Prizes ?

*Nation-Building* would be an excellent category.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I have no problem with the US in the RoK (Republic of Korea) during the Cold War. There was zero need after the Soviets folded and ended. Look at the lights. Additionally, the RoK army would smash the North's army in record time. Those guys make hard look soft. But you know that. You trained with the RoK airborne. You operated with them on the DMZ, right? You have real world experience to back up your position? I thought so.

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/83000/83182/ISS038-E-038300.jpg

The US deterrent to North Korea's nukes does not rely on US combat forces in South Korea. You are clear on that, aren't you?

Does the deterrent to China.....rely on US combat forces in Korea? I do believe SK can defend itself.....but I don't think that fact would prevent an NK leader from invading...or even using a tactical nuke. Especially with proper motivation from their puppetmasters to the North Pete, you are clear on that aren't you?

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Does the deterrent to China.....rely on US combat forces in Korea? I do believe SK can defend itself.....but I don't think that fact would prevent an NK leader from invading...or even using a tactical nuke. Especially with proper motivation from their puppetmasters to the North Pete, you are clear on that aren't you?

Warmonger, no the RoK does not need US troops inside of the RoK. Get it, yet?

Gunny
10-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Uh no. It lost it's credibility when they awarded it to the Grandaddy of ME Terrorism, Yassir Arafat. wasjust one of a long line of progressive leftists to follow since.

Gunny
10-13-2014, 11:49 AM

So's the rest of world.

Gunny
10-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Our prescience there wasn't required since the late 1980s. I did two tours on the DMZ. Yet another topic you "school" me on with zero practical experience.

We are actually still there more for force projection than anything else. It's the biggest reason we're almost anywhere overseas now. Just to make sure no one forgets we exist.

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 12:00 PM
We are actually still there more for force projection than anything else. It's the biggest reason we're almost anywhere overseas now. Just to make sure no one forgets we exist.

True. I would advocate for leaving a logistical hub in the RoK. Way down south.

Gunny
10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
True. I would advocate for leaving a logistical hub in the RoK. Way down south.

The only real advantage we have being where we are is having a strong foot hold on the Korean Peninsula. Not sure how that conventional war mentality works nowadays.

Even though we were the bulk of the force, Korea was actually a UN war, not a US war. Let the UN man the line.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Warmonger, no the RoK does not need US troops inside of the RoK. Get it, yet?

INN. The sideshow is NK, the real issue is China. You don't get that but only I know why you don't get that.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 12:42 PM
The only real advantage we have being where we are is having a strong foot hold on the Korean Peninsula. Not sure how that conventional war mentality works nowadays.

Even though we were the bulk of the force, Korea was actually a UN war, not a US war. Let the UN man the line.

Because the Blue Helmets have such a scorching record holding lines huh? Wake up, G.

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 12:54 PM
INN. The sideshow is NK, the real issue is China. You don't get that but only I know why you don't get that.

China is not going to invade South Korea, warmonger.

Ransom
10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
China is not going to invade South Korea, warmonger.

Or Taiwan thanks to the policies of Neocons.

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Or Taiwan thanks to the policies of Neocons.

Our Taiwan policy predates the rabid Neocon warmongers.

donttread
10-13-2014, 03:03 PM
So's the rest of world.

Nobody can defend themselves without our say so and our help. Or so it would appear from our actions