PDA

View Full Version : Big Beer caves on growlers -- but still fights 'deep discounts'

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Good for them.

Fuck the "free market" oligopoly machine.

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81660584/

Chalk one up for the little guys. And the free-market.

After two years of intense pressure, the Big Beer boys in Florida say they are ready to allow legislators to de-regulate some of the craft beer industry.

Right now, Florida is one of only two states in America that won't allow independent craft brewers to sell take-home beer in the 64-ounce "growler" size that is most popular everywhere else.

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 12:33 PM
I prefer the big beers to the overpriced craft beers.

Cigar
10-13-2014, 12:38 PM
2 or 3 Beers and I'm done ... then it's time to drink for real :laugh:

Chris
10-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Right, free to choose, but government shouldn't protect special interests no matter who.

Chris
10-13-2014, 12:39 PM
2 or 3 Beers and I'm done ... then it's time to drink for real :laugh:

From the looks of it these 64 oz growlers would be 4 beers. Think it'd get stale before you're done swigging.

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 12:40 PM
From the looks of it these 64 oz growlers would be 4 beers. Think it'd get stale before you're done swigging.

Unless you drink like a woman.

Yes that was sexist but yes, that was true also.

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Right, free to choose, but government shouldn't protect special interests no matter who.

Im ok with the craft beer brewers being free to sell their product.

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 01:00 PM

The "big" American beers are full of preservatives and HFCS - they are a perfect example of cheaper crap that is worse for you.

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 01:07 PM
The "big" American beers are full of preservatives and HFCS - they are a perfect example of cheaper crap that is worse for you.

To hear some people tell it any beer is bad for you.

I would hate to give up beer entirely or drink overpriced stuff that I didn't like for the promise of living longer and then get run over by an Obama voter on crack.

PolWatch
10-13-2014, 01:09 PM

I would hate to give up beer or drink overpriced stuff that I did it like for the promise of living longer and then get run over by an Obama voter on crack.

^^^ partisan post of the day! who else could bring Obama into a discussion of beer?

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 01:13 PM
^^^ partisan post of the day! who else could bring Obama into a discussion of beer?

The black president who tried to cover up his racist stupidity with the infamous "Beer Summit?"

Nothing could be more appropriate.

Mister D
10-13-2014, 01:15 PM

He did have a beer summit.

Chris
10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
He's always slugging them down: https://www.google.com/search?q=obama+beer&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS560US560&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xxY8VKzuArOCsQS-iYHICA&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1455&bih=741

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm not a craft brew fan, I think most of it is piss but some of it hits the mark.

Like anything else you have to be careful and being a little educated before throwing money at anything is smart also.

I always ask for samples now before ordering a new "craft" beer.

Mister D
10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm not a craft brew fan, I think most of it is piss but some of it hits the mark.

Like anything else you have to be careful and being a little educated before throwing money at anything is smart also.

I always ask for samples now before ordering a new "craft" beer.

I stick to happy hour specials. I've been drinking Sam's Lager on Fridays lately. I don't even like it that much but I'm not paying $6-$7 for a mug of beer. Most of the crafts are way over priced. I do Spaten on Saturdays. I think it's $5 or $5.50

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
I stick to happy hour specials. I've been drinking Sam's Lager on Fridays lately. I don't even like it that much but I'm not paying $6-$7 for a mug of beer. Most of the crafts are way over priced. I do Spaten on Saturdays. I think it's $5 or $5.50

I saw Dale's at the local grocery over the weekend. They wanted ten bucks for a six pack. I didn't have the heart and the wife wanted some pumpkin shit so I went with that.

Bob

If you have COSTCO, buy a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It is just awesome. It is a super high ranked beer.

Mister D
If you have COSTCO, buy a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It is just awesome. It is a super high ranked beer.

My buddy loves it. I'm not big on bitter.

Captain Obvious

Bob, you're such a derp.

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 01:30 PM

I would hate to give up beer entirely or drink overpriced stuff that I didn't like for the promise of living longer and then get run over by an Obama voter on crack.

I guess the question is quality or quantity. To each their own.

Mister D
10-13-2014, 01:31 PM
I saw Dale's at the local grocery over the weekend. They wanted ten bucks for a six pack. I didn't have the heart and the wife wanted some pumpkin $#@! so I went with that.

Damn, seriously? I can it cheaper here. I think it's only a 5 spot at the bar for a can. The six pack can't be more than $7 or $8

Bob
10-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Actually he brought up a voter.

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I guess the question is quality or quantity. To each their own.

I LIKE Budweiser and Miller.

In fact I've been known to drink Old Milwaukee without any problem at all.

But I don't drink by the case either.

usually just what I can consume with pizza or BBQ or during one football game on TV.

Mister D
10-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I like Miller Light when I drink for real. Beer is otherwise too filling.

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 01:47 PM

usually just what I can consume with pizza or BBQ or during one football game on TV.

So your political style is equivalent to your sophistication and taste in beer.

Agreed!

Mac-7
10-13-2014, 01:51 PM
So your political style is equivalent to your sophistication and taste in beer.

I guess so.

Bud has been quenching American thirst for many generations.

PolWatch
10-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm not a drinker, but I have heard rumors that those Clydesdales contribute more to Bud than just towing the wagon...:rollseyes:

Peter1469
10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Hofbrau, right now. Good beer.

Chris
10-13-2014, 02:53 PM
"Big Beer caves on growlers"

Every time I see the title I think it's about bears growling in caves.

Captain Obvious
10-13-2014, 06:53 PM
"Big Beer caves on growlers"

Every time I see the title I think it's about bears growling in caves.

I'm kinda sure that was the intended effect.

Bob
10-13-2014, 07:23 PM

I bought the 30 can case of Millers a few days back. it was once a favorite beer. Price per can is why I purchased it. I wish it was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. They have a site for the beer. When In San Diego, I always go to pick up some Strauss beer made locally where they sell it in the growlers and other brown bottles. Do not ever buy beer in clear glass unless it is extremely fresh. My miller is in cans. Those are fine.

I got a lecture in Germany from a Brewer who made super good beer. He told us it is all the same beer but make sure not to buy clear glass beer. They sold it at the brewery but in town, you had to find the pubs selling the local beer. I was told that the small German breweries sell all the beer in the very local area it serves. GIs drank anything that said made in Germany but if you looked for them, some pubs sold the local beer. If I offered tour advice, find the brewery for the town you visit and first drink what they sell. They know where it is sold with food. This is not as important in the USA as in Germany.