PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS approves TX voter ID law

Peter1469
10-18-2014, 06:10 AM
SCOTUS approves TX voter ID law (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/2014/10/18/0439b116-5623-11e4-892e-602188e70e9c_story.html)

Lower courts said the law was written with "discriminatory" intent and many have characterized the law as the strictest photo ID law in the nation.

This was the 4th similar challenge this year. SCOTUS had given deference to the States in each case, but also cite the closeness to the November elections and the danger of changes disrupting the elections. So perhaps SCOTUS will take another case after this election cycle.

The judges added that while some voters may be harmed by the 2011 law, it would be a greater problem to make changes that might disrupt a statewide election.

The Texas law, called S.B. 14, is considered to be one of the the toughest voter ID laws in the nation. It requires the state’s estimated 13.6 million registered voters to show one of seven kinds of photo identification to cast a ballot.

sachem
10-18-2014, 06:37 AM
I thought that was just for the upcoming election?

Mac-7
10-18-2014, 07:18 AM

The law applies to all future elections unless overturned by the autocrats on the court.

Peter1469
10-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I suppose another case will have to be brought.

Professor Peabody
10-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Use 8 CFR 274a.2(b)(1)(v)(B)(1).

This section includes the following acceptable documents for Medicaid purposes:

• driver’s license issued by State or Territory either with a photograph of the individual or other identifying information of the individual such as name, age, sex, race, height, weight or eye color.

• School identification card with a photograph of the individual

• U.S. military card or draft record

• Identification card issued by the Federal, State, or local government with the same information included on driver’s licenses

• Military dependent’s identification card

• Native American Tribal document

• U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card

http://downloads.cms.gov/cmsgov/archived-downloads/SMDL/downloads/SMD06012.pdf

Like any other "Right" it comes with restrictions such as convicted felons can't vote or needing an ID. Needing an ID violates neither the 15th Amendment nor the Voting Rights Act. It's been said that it places undue hardship on the poor, that a barge load of Bull. If that is so, then providing Government service meant to help the poor does so too. An ID is necessary to receive welfare, food stamps, WIC's coupons, section 8 housing, subsidies for Obama Care and even Medicaid. Since voting is not an explicitly guaranteed right in the constitution, it is a Government provided service like any of the ones already mentioned. PenDOT is already providing ID for voting purposes for FREE! (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml) That's just one example. I think all states should require ID to vote and provide them free to all that need them. Considering the amount of folks availing themselves to Government Benefits requiring an ID, the cost to each state would be minimal.

Mister D
10-18-2014, 02:09 PM
lol You have to show photo ID. How unreasonable! It's not like most of us carry a photo ID wherever we go. Oh wait...

Professor Peabody
10-18-2014, 02:15 PM
lol You have to show photo ID. How unreasonable! It's not like most of us carry a photo ID wherever we go. Oh wait...

If you take away all the poor folks getting welfare, food stamps, WIC's coupons, section 8 housing, subsidies for Obama Care and Medicaid how many folks are really prevented from voting?