PDA

View Full Version : The Quiet before the Storm...

Kurmugeon
10-18-2014, 09:01 PM
So, we've argued, demanded, shaken our heads, recoiled in horror at the grizzly photos of victims, stammered in shock at the stupidity... and finally fallen silent in emotional fatigue and dismay at the American Reaction to the first wave of Ebola events.

Now we lie in silent calm, worn out and numb, in the moments of stillness before the gathering storm.

It is not over, far from it. 150 people a day come to America from Western Africa Hot Zones. Several hundred Americans exposed to Duncan and/or his Ebola Positive Nursing Staff, circulate among U.S.

It is not a matter of IF, it is simply a matter of When.

And of all of the blunders, gaffs, and discovered pitfalls and holes in our Ebola Preparedness... have we actually LEARNED and Corrected ANYTHING?

Have we thoroughly trained and practiced Ebola treatment and containment protocols by our Hospital and ER staff?

Do we have a supply of Bio-Waste Storage Containers, and a plan on what to do with them, once full?

Do we have an extra supply of IV-Fluid Bags, Tyvex Gowns, Nitrile Gloves, Face Masks, Hoods, Tape, Booties and body bags on hand at all hospitals?

Do we have road barriers, spike strips, signage, and roadway choke points identified for cutting off travel from widely affected cities?

Do we have Fuel and Delivery Hardware, Concrete Barriers, and Front Loaders for carrying massed corpses to Box-O-Flame improvised incinerators set aside?

Have you made your peace with estranged family members and God?

By the timing of the virus, and its spread, we are now in calm before the next wave...

-

Animal Mother
10-18-2014, 09:02 PM
People in the country will do ok either way. It's urban living fuckers who will get taken out.

GrassrootsConservative
10-18-2014, 09:11 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-don-t-shit-the-bed-3.png

This one is for you, Captain Obvious .

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm beginning to suspect that some folks have read too many Stephen King or Robin Cook books.

GrassrootsConservative
10-18-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm beginning to suspect that some folks have read too many Stephen King or Robin Cook books.

Hey! I read King. I was thinking more Michael Crichton.

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 09:24 PM
The Stand!

Kurmugeon
10-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Actually, I worked as a Programmer, at a Government National Laboratory, and wrote Bayesian Inference Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Engines, which were used for, among other things, epidemiological studies of virulent viral outbreaks including Ebola.

I KNOW what is coming... that's all.

-

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking more of OutBreak!

GrassrootsConservative
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM
The Stand!

Great book. Unfortunately Ebola is nothing like Captain Trips.

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 09:30 PM
and I typed a PhD thesis for a doctoral candidate at Oxford University...doesn't mean I know anything about being a priest

Kurmugeon
10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
and I typed a PhD thesis for a doctoral candidate at Oxford University...doesn't mean I know anything about being a priest

I hope you're right.

I'd never be so happy to be wrong, as I would about this one.

There was a time, somewhere around April, 2014, when similar things were said in many West African Countries.

-

Refugee
10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
The Stand!

The film is even better than the book. It's one I've watched several times and was free to download.

GrassrootsConservative
10-18-2014, 09:47 PM
The film is even better than the book. It's one I've watched several times and was free to download.

Blasphemer.

Stephen King adaptations are never better than the books. Have you even read the book? The real one? The unabridged version?

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 09:47 PM
I think its his best book...he kinda went down from that one...although his latest (1963) is pretty good. Its about changing history and what could happen if JFK had not been killed.

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Yes I think 1963 was one of his best.

Bob
10-18-2014, 09:53 PM

Some ought to study Ebola.

GrassrootsConservative
10-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Haven't read that one. Want to. Last one I read was Doctor Sleep.

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Stephen King (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/stephen_king/index.html?inline=nyt-per)’s latest magnum opus, “11/22/63,” finds a way to revisit and even revise the events surrounding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The book’s front cover depicts a newspaper account of Kennedy’s death in Dallas on that date. Its rear cover presents the opposite outcome, with the president and first lady looking happy and unscathed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/books/stephen-kings-11-23-63-review.html

Bob
10-18-2014, 09:59 PM
I think its his best book...he kinda went down from that one...although his latest (1963) is pretty good. Its about changing history and what could happen if JFK had not been killed.

I have yet to read any of his books. I generally shun fiction to read fact books.

I will have to find out what King thinks would be different had JFK not died. (I voted for JFK)

Matty
10-18-2014, 10:05 PM
I have never seen an optometrist who wore contacts!

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Blasphemer.

Stephen King adaptations are never better than the books. Have you even read the book? The real one? The unabridged version?

The only movie adaptation I have seen that was even close to as good as the book was 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Any since....blah.

Bob
10-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking more of OutBreak!

I am trying to recall which book it was because it was FACT and not fiction about Ebola. It scared the hell out of me thinking it just might be here. Actually per the book, it has been here but located in labs in the East.

Soon as I recall the title, I shall inform all of you.

OK, just located it. The Hot Zone.

But it is true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone

Matty
10-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Blasphemer.

Cujo was damn close until they changed the ending!

PolWatch
10-18-2014, 10:22 PM
I used to want a St Bernard before that book!

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Yes that was based on a true incident. That lab where it happened was destroyed. I'm more concerned about recent screw ups by the CDC with Anthrax and Bird Flu along with the supposedly eradicated Smallpox viruses. Did you know that the hospital where Duncan showed up had the equipment that could have identified Ebola within an hour, but the FDA wouldn't authorize it's use?

Ethereal
10-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Actually, I worked as a Programmer, at a Government National Laboratory, and wrote Bayesian Inference Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Engines, which were used for, among other things, epidemiological studies of virulent viral outbreaks including Ebola.

I KNOW what is coming... that's all.

-

Yea, just like climate scientists know what is coming based on their models and simulations.

Bob
10-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes that was based on a true incident. That lab where it happened was destroyed. I'm more concerned about recent screw ups by the CDC with Anthrax and Bird Flu along with the supposedly eradicated Smallpox viruses. Did you know that the hospital where Duncan showed up had the equipment that could have identified Ebola within an hour, but the FDA wouldn't authorize it's use?

Since I read that book THE HOT ZONE, I have been to Reston. My last visit to VA I stayed there in fact.

I had not thought of the book in 2002. It's been 12 years since I visited VA last.

Matty
10-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Why would the FDA be involved?

Kurmugeon
10-18-2014, 10:36 PM
I note that in all the comments, no one has addressed, even in passing, any one of the questions in the OP.

-

Bob
10-18-2014, 10:36 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by momsapplepie http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=801656#post801656)

Yes, I did not get that either but isn't she one of the medical experts of the forum? Maybe both of you are.

Ethereal
10-18-2014, 10:39 PM
I note that in all the comments, no one has addressed, even in passing, any one of the questions in the OP.

-

I think it's because many of us are sick to death of hearing about a fake crisis.

Kurmugeon
10-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I think it's because many of us are sick to death of hearing about a fake crisis.

Fake?!

I doubt those in Africa see it as fake.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2014/10/13/ebola-trends/

Oh, wait, those aren't people...

-

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 10:47 PM
The FDA has to approve the "kit" to be used and has labeled it for research only even though the equipment is currently being used by the Military in W. Africa.

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 10:55 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/17/fda-halts-dallas-hospital-from-using-ebola-screeni/

Bob
10-18-2014, 11:04 PM
The FDA has to approve the "kit" to be used and has labeled it for research only even though the equipment is currently being used by the Military in W. Africa.

So, has the FDA approved it for use in the USA?

momsapplepie
10-18-2014, 11:07 PM
The military is using it, but the FDA has not approved the "kits" necessary for the equipment to detect Ebola. Again they have labeled it for research only and haven't approved the "kit". The machines are out there in the hospitals.

silvereyes
10-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Yes I think 1963 was one of his best.

I like green mile. A fine king work.

Mac-7
10-19-2014, 03:57 AM
People in the country will do ok either way. It's urban living $#@!ers who will get taken out.

Most people live in the city.

And when they start dying people in the country will not do ok.

donttread
10-19-2014, 06:30 AM
So, we've argued, demanded, shaken our heads, recoiled in horror at the grizzly photos of victims, stammered in shock at the stupidity... and finally fallen silent in emotional fatigue and dismay at the American Reaction to the first wave of Ebola events.

Now we lie in silent calm, worn out and numb, in the moments of stillness before the gathering storm.

It is not over, far from it. 150 people a day come to America from Western Africa Hot Zones. Several hundred Americans exposed to Duncan and/or his Ebola Positive Nursing Staff, circulate among U.S.

And of all of the blunders, gaffs, and discovered pitfalls and holes in our Ebola Preparedness... have we actually LEARNED and Corrected ANYTHING?

Have we thoroughly trained and practiced Ebola treatment and containment protocols by our Hospital and ER staff?

Do we have a supply of Bio-Waste Storage Containers, and a plan on what to do with them, once full?

Do we have an extra supply of IV-Fluid Bags, Tyvex Gowns, Nitrile Gloves, Face Masks, Hoods, Tape, Booties and body bags on hand at all hospitals?

Do we have road barriers, spike strips, signage, and roadway choke points identified for cutting off travel from widely affected cities?

Do we have Fuel and Delivery Hardware, Concrete Barriers, and Front Loaders for carrying massed corpses to Box-O-Flame improvised incinerators set aside?

By the timing of the virus, and its spread, we are now in calm before the next wave...

-

But we can't enact the travel ban until sufficient fear and dependence has been ingrained

Kurmugeon
10-20-2014, 03:11 PM
The Cuban Missile crisis ran a very real risk of killing 2/3 of the people in the United States.

Ebola is significantly higher in threat, both in terms of the percentage of the population likely killed, and the probability that it will come to pass.

I don't see anyone, left or right, then or now, stating that we ( America ) were wrong to find the Cuban Missile Crisis a threat worthy of discussion.
-

lynn
10-20-2014, 07:24 PM
The answer to all of your questions is no for all of them.

Perianne
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
http://moonbattery.com/graphics/ebola-cuba.jpg

PolWatch
10-20-2014, 11:05 PM
http://moonbattery.com/graphics/ebola-cuba.jpg

because they were Americans?

Kurmugeon
10-21-2014, 01:58 AM
because they were Americans?

I believe that Thomas Duncan was a Liberian Citizen, who had applied for American Citizenship, but it was not yet granted.

In any case, he was a scum who lied to board an aircraft illegally, for his own selfish needs and wants, and in the process exposed his own family, and hundreds of millions of others, needlessly, to a potentially fatal disease.

I have little sympathy for Thomas Duncan.

-

PolWatch
10-21-2014, 07:13 AM
I was thinking of the health care workers who were returned to the US for treatment.

donttread
10-21-2014, 07:51 AM

-

The travel ban is long overdue . The sheep are not sufficiently cowed yet . ( yes pun intended)

Common Sense
10-21-2014, 07:54 AM
The OP treats it like a zombie apocalypse that will run wild in the streets. Yes, it's killed 4000 people in west Africa. The population of Liberia alone is 4 million. Certainly I'm not a statistician, but that certainly isn't 2/3 of their population being wiped out. This isn't the Spanish flu, this isn't TB and this isn't the zombie apocalypse.

The danger behind the hysteria is that the hysteria poses a potentially bigger risk and cost. Hospitals flooded with people who think they have ebola, the closing of schools and businesses, the loss of important tourist dollars and the real cost to the economy. Be smart, use common sense, but for the love of god, stop freaking the fuck out.

Peter1469
10-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Right. The danger for the US is panic.

The OP treats it like a zombie apocalypse that will run wild in the streets. Yes, it's killed 4000 people in west Africa. The population of Liberia alone is 4 million. Certainly I'm not a statistician, but that certainly isn't 2/3 of their population being wiped out. This isn't the Spanish flu, this isn't TB and this isn't the zombie apocalypse.

The danger behind the hysteria is that the hysteria poses a potentially bigger risk and cost. Hospitals flooded with people who think they have ebola, the closing of schools and businesses, the loss of important tourist dollars and the real cost to the economy. Be smart, use common sense, but for the love of god, stop freaking the fuck out.

Kurmugeon
10-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Yea, just like climate scientists know what is coming based on their models and simulations.

Another Leftie who is supremely confident that they are immune to Ebola..... Why?