PDA

View Full Version : Capitol Hill Burgalries Under Investigation.....

MMC
05-19-2012, 12:05 AM
After a number of Capitol Hill offices have fallen victim to a crime wave of burglary and theft this spring, the U.S. Capitol Police continues to investigate who might be responsible, leaving congressional staffers on high alert and clamping down on their personal belongings and office equipment.
At least five congressional offices, all on the House side of the Capitol, were broken into last month, with most of the break-ins suspected to have occurred after office hours when the workplace was empty.
Staffers working for the House committee on Oversight and Government Reform also had cash stolen from their desks. The Appropriations subcommittee on Homeland Security was also reportedly targeted for theft.

"Under regulations governing allowances and expense promulgated by the Committee on House Administration, the ultimate responsibility for equipment lies with each Member," he wrote. "Therefore, the regulations require that you be held personally liable for the loss of this item."
The letter, which is described as standard operating procedure, also informed Gowdy of his right to appeal for a waiver from the Committee on House Administration, which the congressman quickly filed. Gowdy just learned Wednesday that he successfully won his appeal for a waiver.
Now, rather than having to pay out cash from his own pocket, the liability is transferred to the taxpayer, as the cost of replacing the equipment can be covered by a Members' Representational Allowance (MRA], which is the budget authorized by Congress for each Member in support of their duties to their constituents.
Congressional sources explain that the waiver is almost always granted as long as there is not proven negligence, and the liability rules are intended to bring accountability to a member's office.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/capitol-hill-burglaries-under-investigation-205823910--abc-news-politics.html

The question I am asking.....Has anyone Noticed that the offices that have been broken into have all been Republican Offices? Do you think that have looked at this angle yet?

Note Pelosi's remarks. Always speaking in double-talk. She doesnt know but yet there could have been. But for some reason she knows nothing of importance was ever noted. Does this mean she knows there were thefts but she never considered them important?

Conley
05-19-2012, 05:33 AM
This sounds like a pretty small time operation...not much in the way of cash and property. I can't imagine it is a good risk/reward to break into a federal office to steal a few hundred bucks worth of stuff.

MMC
05-19-2012, 06:49 AM
This sounds like a pretty small time operation...not much in the way of cash and property. I can't imagine it is a good risk/reward to break into a federal office to steal a few hundred bucks worth of stuff.

Well that is one good point. I would still look to see what Committees all these Republicans are on. As you are right about the petty ante stuff.