PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Wins Minnesota

Conley
05-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Ron Paul backers have secured 12 of 13 delegates at Minnesota’ state GOP convention, according to a source who was there and is familiar with the delegates’ leanings.

Saturday’s convention gives Paul 32 of Minnesota’s 40 delegates to the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., after his strong showing in the state’s congressional-district conventions.

Paul announced on Monday he would no longer campaign in new states but would continue to organize at conventions to secure delegates in states that have already voted.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/ron-paul-wins-minnesota-state-convention/

Not bad for a guy who stopped campaigning. Hopefully his supporters transition to Gary Johnson (the libertarian nominee) instead of swallowing their disgust and voting GOP.

Mister D
05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I wonder if this will translate to any influence at the convention.

MMC
05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't think they will switch over to Johnson if Romney is the only chance to knock Obama out. Truthfully I don't even know why Paul is trying to get up delegates. As there won't be any brokered convention.

Captain Obvious
05-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I wonder if this will translate to any influence at the convention.

Right. That's the only significant potential outcome of the victory.

spunkloaf
05-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Those who side with Romney fail to realize that he is not the suitable candidate for beating Obama in the election. The republicans think they can win the election in '12 the same way they assumed democrats did in '08. The same strategy will not work for them because their voter base is much different from the democrat base. They don't seem to consider that.

The biggest asset to the republicans in this election is the swing voter. Their single goal is beating Obama. Despite the republicans' extensive efforts to defame him, Obama is still quite a popular guy and that's a huge problem for them.

I don't agree with the GOP's decision to back Romney as competent opponent of Obama in this election, but their choice doesn't surprise me. The truth is Ron Paul would have a much better shot simply because he is just as popular among liberals as Obama is. He would have stolen liberal votes for the GOP. He would have gotten my vote, and the vote of almost everybody "liberal" (or whatever we are) that I know.

The reason the GOP went with Romney is because he has more energy in public than Paul, and because the GOP is about as interested in shutting down the Federal Reserve as they are in shutting down FOX News. His ideas are too wild for the GOP establishment, and he couldn't be counted upon to carry out their agenda.

ramone
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Those who side with Romney fail to realize that he is not the suitable candidate for beating Obama in the election. The republicans think they can win the election in '12 the same way they assumed democrats did in '08. The same strategy will not work for them because their voter base is much different from the democrat base. They don't seem to consider that.

The biggest asset to the republicans in this election is the swing voter. Their single goal is beating Obama. Despite the republicans' extensive efforts to defame him, Obama is still quite a popular guy and that's a huge problem for them.

I don't agree with the GOP's decision to back Romney as competent opponent of Obama in this election, but their choice doesn't surprise me. The truth is Ron Paul would have a much better shot simply because he is just as popular among liberals as Obama is. He would have stolen liberal votes for the GOP. He would have gotten my vote, and the vote of almost everybody "liberal" (or whatever we are) that I know.

The reason the GOP went with Romney is because he has more energy in public than Paul, and because the GOP is about as interested in shutting down the Federal Reserve as they are in shutting down FOX News. His ideas are too wild for the GOP establishment, and he couldn't be counted upon to carry out their agenda.

Interesting Spunk. I agree somewhat. Paul would institute his own ideas instead of the GOP/Neocon ideas and I agree with that. I don't agree that he has a better chance of being elected than Obamney though. The US is not ready for real world answers to real world problems. This is what Paul would put forth.

I'll agree that the gop is fully concerned with getting Obama out of office but do you actually think Obamney is any different and there will be any change if he does win? I don't. Same thing, different party.

Conley
05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
You guys are probably right that the individual voters for Paul will mostly just end up voting for Romney in the general. It's a shame though, because Johnson is much much closer to Paul than Romeny is. Many just want to see Obama gone, which I can understand too.

MMC
05-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I think taking control of the Senate and the House is the way to start affecting some change. If Romney pulls it off it will be Icing on the cake. But there will be no doubt that the Neo-Con Agenda will be in full swing.

spunkloaf
05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Interesting Spunk. I agree somewhat. Paul would institute his own ideas instead of the GOP/Neocon ideas and I agree with that. I don't agree that he has a better chance of being elected than Obamney though. The US is not ready for real world answers to real world problems. This is what Paul would put forth.

I'll agree that the gop is fully concerned with getting Obama out of office but do you actually think Obamney is any different and there will be any change if he does win? I don't. Same thing, different party.

Pretty much, yeah. At this point it would take a massive controversial event to shake Obama's ground, at least enough that would compromise his chances for reelection. Romney is losing touch with his base because more and more republican voters are backing Paul. Meanwhile the GOP big shots are endorsing Romney as if to encourage republican voters to do the same

They put Santorum out there for awhile to antagonize liberals and add yet more polarity to the political spectrum. Usually that's Sarah Palin's job, but she has been absolutely silent lately...unless you count her daughter's snotty and misleading letter to the president which was published for all to see.

Something is amiss about the entire GOP strategy. If you analyze the way things have been conducted, you could almost conclude that the GOP is purposefully giving Obama a second term while making it seem as though they are trying to prevent it. Who knows why? I don't, but that's what it seems like they are doing.

Obama's not showing one single hint of stress about winning reelection. He knows that of the GOP continues doing whatever it is that they are doing, he will win. Republicans are not showing any signs that they will change their course, either.

roadmaster
05-22-2012, 11:28 PM
hose who side with Romney fail to realize that he is not the suitable candidate for beating Obama in the election.

I think you are wrong even an independent like me will vote for Mitt. I don't hate Obama but we don't see eye to eye and he is bad for the economy (except extending unemployment benefits) and has make some statements I don't agree with. Sticking his nose into other countries about what protest they should allow, the civil wars and now with Iran. No I don't trust Irans leader but war should be the last thing when all else fails.

spunkloaf
05-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I think you are wrong even an independent like me will vote for Mitt. I don't hate Obama but we don't see eye to eye and he is bad for the economy (except extending unemployment benefits) and has make some statements I don't agree with. Sticking his nose into other countries about what protest they should allow, the civil wars and now with Iran. No I don't trust Irans leader but war should be the last thing when all else fails.

I try to put myself in your shoes and if I thought the same way and called myself independent, I'd have to consider that I'm probably kidding myself. Just sayin.

The reason I say this is because I see more people calling themselves independents lately just because they want to hide the fact that they might have a political bias. They fear that aligning themselves with either side would somehow negate their opinion, because it would be too "slanted" or "typical." You DO have a bias, you loathe liberals. In the modern sense, that would probably make you more of a conservative than an independent.

People here loathe liberals. Hey, I'm not that fond of conservatives. Know what the big difference between most of those people and myself is? I am trying to forgive and see past the stereotypes to the true feelings of the person. Let me tell you it's quite a mental challenge, and my most ugly side can come out in the process.